PDA

View Full Version : Bruno Sticks it in Pacers.Com

indygeezer
06-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I'll give it up for Bruno here and now. This is a really good commentary:

A. That claim certainly can be staked, but itís important to wait until the NBA Finals has concluded before it can be validated in any way. The Lakers arenít dead yet. Itís interesting to see the nearly complete 180 degree turn in national opinion toward the Lakers, who were pronounced the champions by most of the global media before the NBA Finals even began. Now, those same outlets already have buried the Lakers. Thatís sadly the way of todayís knee-jerk world, where too many in the media tend to form their opinions based on what they saw last, and not the total picture. I donít think the Lakers can win the championship, but they certainly possess the capability to make the NBA Finals a much more interesting series. The undertakers and obituary writers tend to forget the mathematics of the situation. If the Lakers win tonight, they regain homecourt advantage. Thatís how dramatically the tone of a series can change. And thatís why itís important for the people who purport to shape national opinion to maintain some sense of rational perspective, rather than getting in a race to see who can become the first to make the most dramatic proclamation Ė and perhaps get quoted in a national newspaper.

To be fair, I was among those who didnít think the Pistons could win. And I am as surprised as anyone they hold a 3-1 lead. Iíve always believed a team has to have some element of true greatness to win an NBA championship. In Shaquille OíNeal and Kobe Bryant, the Lakers have two great players. The Pistons donít have any. But what I overlooked (shame on me) was the greatness that exists on the Detroit bench. No coach has been named MVP of the Finals, and never will, but thereís no doubt in my mind Brown has been the individual with the single greatest impact on this series. He not only found the Lakersí greatest weakness Ė Bryantís tendency to try to do everything on his own Ė he has successfully exploited it.

At the moment, the Pacers do look like the second-best team in the league, based on the challenge they offered the Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals. But nobody hangs a banner for finishing second. The idea is to try to use the abundant resources on the roster to re-shape the team into one that can realistically expect to compete for a championship next year. To make no changes would imply the Pacers are a team without flaws, and that is not the case. The future of the shooting guard position must be addressed. There are too many small forwards and not enough big men. Depth at point guard could become an issue, should both Kenny Anderson and Anthony Johnson opt to leave via free agency. As Rick Carlisle put it, this offseason represents a great opportunity to balance the roster while continuing to make moves for both the present and future of the franchise. And itís an opportunity the front office apparently plans to seize.

Doug in CO
06-15-2004, 01:03 PM
This raises a question I was going to save for next week - the Nets pushed them to 7 - are they better than us?

indygeezer
06-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Let's rest our hats on "they are more experienced" playing the Pistons in the PO's than we are.

Unclebuck
06-15-2004, 01:18 PM
This raises a question I was going to save for next week - the Nets pushed them to 7 - are they better than us?

Couple of things

1) Maybe. but the Nets were a mental hurdle for the Pistons because of what happened last year.

2) Sheed was really playing injured in that series, he has slowly gotten healthier and healthier as the payoffs have gone on.

bulletproof
06-15-2004, 01:43 PM
As Rick Carlisle put it, this offseason represents a great opportunity to balance the roster while continuing to make moves for both the present and future of the franchise. And itís an opportunity the front office apparently plans to seize.

:nod: