PDA

View Full Version : Dungy sides with Packers over Favre

Basketball Fan
07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8352562/Dungy-sides-with-Packers-over-Favre#tb

Dungy sides with Packers over Favreby FOXSports.com

Updated: July 17, 2008, 4:00 PM EST 100 comments add this RSS blog email print The Brett Favre vs. Green Bay controversy has officially taken over the league.

FAVRE-WATCH The Brett Favre saga has taken some interesting turns since he supposedly announced his retirement from the NFL.

One day after Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson took Favre's side on Fox Sports Radio, Colts head coach Tony Dungy backed up the Packers' front office in its handling of the quarterback's on-again, off-again retirement.

In an interview in Thursday's The New York Times, Dungy one of the most well-respected head coaches in the NFL was not shy about siding with the organization in the ongoing retirement fiasco.

"Being on both sides of the fence and seeing it both ways, I'm a little bit more on the team's side," said Dungy, who has served time in the league as a player, an assistant coach and a head coach.

What about those who argue how poorly the Packers have treated their Hall of Fame quarterback? "Brett put himself in prison," said Dungy. "He's saying, 'I didn't work out, I'm just ready to play now and I'm your best bet to get to the Super Bowl.

"Understand that it is a business and that at some point it is going to come down to business over feelings," Dungy said. "Players have to understand that it is going to come down to that, whether it's Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott. Eventually, it is going to come to a point when the team says as great as you were, it's diminishing returns now and we've got to move on. There's a lesson for all of us coaches, general managers, players: You can be replaced."