PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget how all this started...

Doug in CO
06-15-2004, 08:07 AM
when you watch tonight - don't dwell on how Larry Brown left - but remember that it was 10 years ago when he took a perenial first round loser to the ECF for the first time, starting a run of 10 pretty good years.

I have had a hard time watching these games. Not for any other reason than the pain still lingers and I typically do not like watching the team that eliminates the Pacers in the next round.

Forced to pick between wanting the group pf Detroit players or LA players to win, I am not sure I could choose. BUT, tonight I will be watching - and rooting for Larry Brown - the guy who is probably most responsible for raising the bar. Good luck Larry.

ChicagoJ
06-15-2004, 10:11 AM
I have had a hard time watching these games. Not for any other reason than the pain still lingers and I typically do not like watching the team that eliminates the Pacers in the next round.

Ditto.

... Don't know if I can actually do the other thing you asked. Had Brownie actually left the Pacers when he 'quit' on them, I'd feel differently...

Bball
06-15-2004, 12:13 PM

Ditto.

... Don't know if I can actually do the other thing you asked. Had Brownie actually left the Pacers when he 'quit' on them, I'd feel differently...

So, do you think he quit on them because he had another job he wanted... or the organization wouldn't make the player moves he wanted and felt were needed? ...or other?

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-15-2004, 12:24 PM

Ditto.

So, do you think he quit on them because he had another job he wanted... or the organization wouldn't make the player moves he wanted and felt were needed? ...or other?

-Bball

I think both. What do you think?

We know he wanted the UCLA job that opened up after the season started.

I think he really wanted to overhaul the thing, and DW wasn't ready to. And Bird took virtually the same team to at least the ECFs for the next three years so it wasn't necessary.

Based on his derrogatory comments about the Davis's after he arrived in Philly (especially the comments about he made right around the time he traded for Theo), I think he wanted to move one or both of those guys for a big PF with more offensive skills (thus, his fascination in Philly with Derrick Coleman.)

I always thought that, when he was using Vinnie Askew as the trigger man in crunch time, that he was sending a signal to management that he wasn't happy with the roster. It certainly raised my appreciation of a healthy Derrick McKey. :devil:

My opinion... willing to listen to others.

Bball
06-15-2004, 12:39 PM

I think he really wanted to overhaul the thing, and DW wasn't ready to. And Bird took virtually the same team to at least the ECFs for the next three years so it wasn't necessary.

Based on his derrogatory comments about the Davis's after he arrived in Philly (especially the comments about he made right around the time he traded for Theo), I think he wanted to move one or both of those guys for a big PF with more offensive skills (thus, his fascination in Philly with Derrick Coleman.)

I always thought that, when he was using Vinnie Askew as the trigger man in crunch time, that he was sending a signal to management that he wasn't happy with the roster. It certainly raised my appreciation of a healthy Derrick McKey. :devil:

I think Brown could not have been happy with Smits. I'm not familiar with the comments about the Davi so you'll have to refresh my memory.

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM

I think Brown could not have been happy with Smits. I'm not familiar with the comments about the Davi so you'll have to refresh my memory.

-Bball

(Paraphrasing)

After he traded for Theo, he said, "I thought we were getting a guy like Dale or Tony. You know, a big bruiser that hustles and can rebound. But this kid has skills, too."

I remember that AD was furious and Dale didn't say anything before our next game in Philly. But Jalen, Tony and Dale all spent a lot of time that next game, uh, talking (?) to Philly's bench. If I recall correctly, there was even a sequence in which Tony was at the FT line and there was a slight delay before he shot because he and Brownie were talking trash to each other.