PDA

View Full Version : Playing the market?

idioteque
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Just curious here if anyone owns stock or invests in another manner.

I am looking to invest between $500-750 dollars and I don't really know what to do with it. I honestly know next to nothing about these kinds of things. What are the best ways to go about this? Are websites like fool.com worth anything?

Any help/advice would really be appreciated.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Can't go wrong with Lehman Brothers.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 11:59 PM
At this point, your best bet is to put it in a shoe box under your bed.

Spicoli
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Start an IRA

Cobol Sam
07-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Buy some Euros.

juadam09
07-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I just got into stocks and bonds about 3 years ago. A great place to start is Bob Brinker. I heard him on 630WMAL and now I read his books whenever I see them and I am a subscriber to his newsletter.

http://www.bobbrinker.com/

I know its not much but thats a place to start.

indygeezer
07-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Not to sound demeaning, this is just sage advice.

Hold the little you have until you have accumulated $1000-3000 and then invest. $50 fee on a $500 investment is 10% of your funds. Sure the fee amt goes up as the size of the investment goes up but it is not proportional. BTW...that's $50 on the buy and then again on the sell ends of the deal. Thus it becomes 100/500 or 20% of your funds paid out in fees.

Do not invest in cheap stocks, there is a reason they are cheap. At the same time, be alert to bargains.

I try to stay away from American Stock exchange (AMEX) stocks...a lot of manipulators have played games with me. They try to get you to chase the price so you keep bidding higher and higher.

Watchout for some of the online services...they look good on paper but you play heck getting your money out of the account (this may no longer be true, I haven't used one in years).

If you can...investigate a ROTH IRA...no taxes on the growth.

Understand that the market goes up and down. Be mentally prepared for stressful situations. Do not invest money you cannot afford to lose (same goes for betting on horses).

Check out CBSMarketwach.com and also learn to use the My Marketplace portion of marketwatch.

juadam09
07-15-2008, 10:28 PM
IRA's are great.

If you want less risk dont forget mutual funds.