PDA

View Full Version : Lenovo 3000 N100 Laptop Users- Read

Bball
07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
If you're using a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop computer you could have a faulty battery that will die much too soon and without much warning. Lenovo has extended the normal 1 year warranty an addtl 6 months to cover just this.

Mine just failed this weekend and I discovered the issue through another forum. Fortunately, it just slid under the 18 month warranty period.

Considering the number of early failures of this battery I read about, even if everything SEEMED fine TODAY I think I'd take advantage of their free replacement and not risk the battery going belly up after 18 months and 2 days or whatever. IOW- IF you have the Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop AND your battery matches the FRU 92P1186 number then you might want to consider telling Lenovo it has just died and won't charge and the laptop won't run except off wall power.

To save yourself a lot of time on the phone with support, have this Document id: MIGR-69671 ready. It references the exact problem AND tells the service rep about the extended warranty.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-69671

Note: They can tell the manufacture date of your laptop from the serial number. These computers sold fairly strongly when they were released so odds are decent that even if you don't have the proof of purchase (receipt) handy, the serial number will be close enough to show you are still under warranty based on the manufacture date.

Mine had the manufacture date coded by the S/N although they reverse the year and the month. So a manufacture date of March, 2007 would say 07/03. I assume all of them have that beside the S/N but in any case the S/N itself tells Lenovo what they need to know. Obviously, if you're just over the 18 month line you might need your receipt to prove exactly when the warranty clock started and should expire....

HTH,
Bball

duke dynamite
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Either way, get it replaced. That battery isn't safe anymore.