PDA

View Full Version : ESPN does feature on top high school recruiting cities

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
And leaves Indianapolis off, idiots...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/features/cityhigh

Merz
07-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Indianapolis can field a better team than any of those cities except possibly Chicago and thats debatable

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Especially when some of the cities have players from Oak Hill on them.

D23
07-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Philly makes it with Rasual Butler and Tyreke Evans? Seriously? :rolleyes:

pacers31tc
07-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Other than Oden and Conley I'm kind of out of the loop on prep players from Indy. Could somebody from the area put together a list/team?

GrangerRanger
07-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Eric Gordon, E'Twaun Moore, and Rodney Carney come to mind as well.

King Tuts Tomb
07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
How's this work?

G Conley
G Gordon
F Rodney Carney
F Sean May
C Greg Oden
6th man McRoberts

I think they're all from Indy

rexnom
07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
How's this work?

G Conley
G Gordon
F Rodney Carney
F Sean May
C Greg Oden
6th man McRoberts

I think they're all from Indy
Isn't Sean May from Bloomington?

Mr. Sobchak
07-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Courtney Lee, Justin Cage, Stanley Burrell

mrknowname
07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
mike conley
eric gordon
jarred jeffries
sean may
greg oden

dc to baltimore is like an hour. so why not allow a couple guys from bloomington

BlueNGold
07-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Zach Randolph from Marion. There are probably more...

Robertmto
07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
George Hill
Rodney Carney
Oden
Conley
Eric Gordon
McRoberts
Jared Jeffries
Sean May
Zach Randolph
Courtney Lee

King Tuts Tomb
07-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Walter McCarty is from Evansville, too. Forgot May was from Bloomington. Those are probably too far to count, cause then you're basically just comparing states.

Still, an all-Indianapolis team is pretty decent, more than enough to make that ESPN feature.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 09:21 PM
All definetely from the INdy area...

Gordon
Conley
Oden
McRoberts
Courtney Lee
Stanley Burrell
George Hill
Rodney Carney

Could be argued they should get on...
Sean May
Jared Jeffries

Either way Los Angeles has a guy (Jennings) from Oak Hill on their team and thats in Virginia.

mrknowname
07-14-2008, 09:36 PM
All definetely from the INdy area...

Gordon
Conley
Oden
McRoberts
Courtney Lee
Stanley Burrell
George Hill
Rodney Carney

Could be argued they should get on...
Sean May
Jared Jeffries

Either way Los Angeles has a guy (Jennings) from Oak Hill on their team and thats in Virginia.

yeah but he's from compton i think

rexnom
07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah, but if you're gonna be talking high school recruiting cities then you have to count the location of the actual high school, right?

t1hs0n
07-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Don't forget Andre Owens of Perry Meridian high.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andre_owens/index.html?nav=page

pacers31tc
07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the info!

An All-Indy team would definitely beat out a few from that feature.

BlueNGold
07-14-2008, 10:43 PM
PG - Conley
SG - Gordon
SF - Carney
PF - Z. Randolph
C - Oden

I would not be surprised if that's one of the best starting 5's to come from any metro area in the country...particularly in a few more years...

Taterhead
07-14-2008, 11:03 PM
I would love to see all time teams formed for each state based on the players born in that state and see how we stack up. We could field a pretty impressive team.

Coaching Staff
John Wooden
Slick Leonard
Branch McCracken
John Macleod

Guards
Oscar Robertson
Louie Dampier
Don Buse
Eric Gordon
Mike Conley
Scott Skiles

Forwards
Larry Bird
George McGinnis
Glenn Robinson
Shawn Kemp
Zach Randolph
Dick Van Arsdale

Center
Greg Oden
Brad Miller
Kent Benson

It atleast has to blow away every state with a similiar population.

Smoothdave1
07-14-2008, 11:37 PM
All Indy team:

PG: Conley
SG: Gordon
SF: Carney
PF: McRoberts
C: Oden

All Indy Metro and surrounding Area team:

PG: Conley, George Hill, Andre Owens
SG: Gordon, Courtney Lee
SF: Jefferies, Carney,
PF: Zach Randolph, May, McRoberts
C: Oden

Not a bad haul considering 11 players from or around Indy are in the NBA right now.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I would love to see all time teams formed for each state based on the players born in that state and see how we stack up. We could field a pretty impressive team.

Coaching Staff
John Wooden
Slick Leonard
Branch McCracken
John Macleod

Guards
Oscar Robertson
Louie Dampier
Don Buse
Eric Gordon
Mike Conley
Scott Skiles

Forwards
Larry Bird
George McGinnis
Glenn Robinson
Shawn Kemp
Zach Randolph
Dick Van Arsdale

Center
Greg Oden
Brad Miller
Kent Benson

It atleast has to blow away every state with a similiar population.

You should really send that to ESPN.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 11:55 PM

He played his high school ball in Virginia which is the point of the whole article is it not?

croz24
07-15-2008, 12:15 AM
that spiece indy heat team a couple years ago with oden, conley, gordon, mcroberts, etc and some kids from ohio (cook) is regarded as one of the best aau teams of all time. fairly certain, all four of those kids are from "indy". there's no credibility to any high school recruiting cities list that leaves out indy.

Dr. Goldfoot
07-15-2008, 12:18 AM
So could just about any other state. There are only a few states that couldn't put together some amazing all-star type team. Hell, New York could give that Indiana team a run for their money with just their "A's".

Kareem
Alston
Tiny Archibald
Melo
Artest
Kenny Anderson

This post was in reference to the all-time state teams.

King Tuts Tomb
07-15-2008, 01:17 AM
So could just about any other state. There are only a few states that couldn't put together some amazing all-star type team. Hell, New York could give that Indiana team a run for their money with just their "A's".

Kareem
Alston
Tiny Archibald
Melo
Artest
Kenny Anderson

Melo is from Baltimore, although you could throw in Kenny Anderson if you need another A.

Dr. Goldfoot
07-15-2008, 02:20 AM
He's from Brooklyn. He moved to Baltimore when he was eight.

LG33
07-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Shaq
Troy Murphy
Al Harrington
Mike Bibby
Brevin Knight

Sure beats the South Dakota squad:

Mike Miller

King Tuts Tomb
07-15-2008, 02:36 AM

But it's a prep list, not a where were you born then moved as a kid list.

Merz
07-15-2008, 02:55 AM

I'd still consider him from Baltimore. Thats where he honed his game. I doubt he became a prep phenom at the age of 8.

I was born in Petaluma, CA but I still consider myself from Indianapolis because thats where I grew up.

Taterhead
07-15-2008, 04:31 AM

Kareem
Alston
Tiny Archibald
Melo
Artest
Kenny Anderson

I think it's borderline amazing that a small state like Indiana has produced, IMO, 2 of the top 5 all around players in history in Bird and Robertson, plus the greatest college coach (some think the greatest basketball mind period) in history in John Wooden as well. And not a single NY player would be in my top 5 all round list.

1. Jordan
2. Chamberlain
3. Johnson
4. Bird
5. Robertson

NY could put together a better overall team for sure, but they have had how many more people come up through thier system?

rexnom
07-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, you have to give Indy props for the relative size of the state. Iowa, Kansas, etc. have not produced nearly as much basketball talent.

mrknowname
07-15-2008, 12:43 PM
He played his high school ball in Virginia which is the point of the whole article is it not?

its espn, who knows

Since86
07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Dominic James is from Richmond.

You can also get into very good college players like Ray McCallum, Bonzi Wells, Chandler Thompson all from Muncie Central.

Also one of the best, players ever from Muncie, that hardly anyone heard of because he could barely open a book is Sam Drummer. Won Mr. Basketball and was the top of an IU recruiting class but didn't make par. Played a couple seasons down in the southern part of the US eventually had a short stint in the NBA, then with the Globetrotters.

He was in my dad's class in school and he's dead serious when he says Sam could take money off the top of the backboard.

dannyboy
07-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Based on the criteria in the link, Rashard Lewis should be in the top 6.

Houston area
G - T Ford
G - D Gibson
F - R Lewis
F - E Okafor
C - K Perkins
6 - G Green

And, just for fun:

Dallas area
G - D Williams
G - A Law IV
F - D Arthur
F - C Bosh
C - L Aldridge
6 - C Miles

NO/Baton Rouge
G - D Augustin
G - C Duhon
F - D Granger
F - T Thomas
C - P Millsap
6 - G "BB" Davis

Dr. Goldfoot
07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Wells was no slouch in the NBA either (for a period of time anyway).

Also my earlier post was only in reference to the all-time state teams mentioned earlier. It was a bit off-topic.

travmil
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
If you told me I could build an all time Indiana team with Larry Bird and Oscar, plus my choice of those other players to round out the roster, I'd put that team up against any team from any state that anyone could build and feel good about my chances.

Are the teams people could build from other states good? Sure, but are they head and shoulders above a team from Indiana with two top 5 all time players? Not really.

Dr. Goldfoot
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah, you have to give Indy props for the relative size of the state. Iowa, Kansas, etc. have not produced nearly as much basketball talent.

Iowa & Kansas are much smaller than Indiana. The Hoosier state is the 15th largest sandwiched between Washington, Massachusetts, Arizona & Tennessee. Indiana has produced 100 NBA players. Those states surrounding Indiana haven't produced as many or the quantity of talent, I'll give you that.

Tennessee actually gets to claim the Big "O" since he was born in Charlotte. Washington could throw out a pretty impressive team led by Stockton and their current up and comers would rival Indiana's. Mass not so much and Arizona's more of a baseball state.

Trader Joe
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Robertson played his high school ball in Indiana.

Dr. Goldfoot
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I know this but Taterhead said born in the state.

Los Angeles
07-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm sort of surprised LA is on the list.

Los Angeles' premier teenage athletes don't even play in the 4 major sports. There are just so many options in L.A.

Limit your options, and you flood the talent pool. Widen your options and there are fewer athletes to fill spots.

JayRedd
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
The All-Time, All-New York Team is absurd.

Kareem, Cousy, Dr. J, Connie Hawkins, Tiny, Earl the Pearl, Billy Cunningham, Mark Jackson, Chris Mullin, Bernard King, Lenny Wilkens, Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland, Starbury, Vinnie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Jamal Mashburn, John Salley, Roger Brown, Tinsley, Ben Gordon, Ron Ron, Gus Williams, Rafer and Rodney McCray...plus dozens of other NCAA studs and mid-tier NBA guys.

And if you're counting anyone just from there, MJ was born in Brooklyn.

Merz
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Iowa & Kansas are much smaller than Indiana. The Hoosier state is the 15th largest sandwiched between Washington, Massachusetts, Arizona & Tennessee. Indiana has produced 100 NBA players. Those states surrounding Indiana haven't produced as many or the quantity of talent, I'll give you that.

Tennessee actually gets to claim the Big "O" since he was born in Charlotte. Washington could throw out a pretty impressive team led by Stockton and their current up and comers would rival Indiana's. Mass not so much and Arizona's more of a baseball state.

The big O grew up in Indiana, therefore thats were he counts. Like I said I was born in California but I am an Indiana grown person just like Oscar Robertson is.

Dr. Goldfoot
07-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Too trivial and off topic to argue any further.

<<<<<getting last word in [/url=http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=MI]Michigan[/url] would kick Indiana'a ***

MyFavMartin
07-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Wasn't Mark Jackson from NY?

JayRedd
07-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Yup. Played both high school and college ball there.

Taterhead
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
The All-Time, All-New York Team is absurd.

Kareem, Cousy, Dr. J, Connie Hawkins, Tiny, Earl the Pearl, Billy Cunningham, Mark Jackson, Chris Mullin, Bernard King, Lenny Wilkens, Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland, Starbury, Vinnie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Jamal Mashburn, John Salley, Roger Brown, Tinsley, Ben Gordon, Ron Ron, Gus Williams, Rafer and Rodney McCray...plus dozens of other NCAA studs and mid-tier NBA guys.

And if you're counting anyone just from there, MJ was born in Brooklyn.

Yeah, NY would be tough, you can also add Bob Cousy, Dolph Schayes and Bob Lanier to the list to make it even more absurd.

The place that surprised me after a little digging is PA. Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe Bryant, Pistol Pete, and Maurice Lucas are all from PA. And I'm sure I'm missing a lot of guys, even though those 4 wouldn't need anyone else.

Another place is Louisianna. Bob Pettit, Bill Russell, Karl Malone, Willis Reed, Elvin Hayes and Clyde Drexler. They would have a descent big man rotation going there.

As far as the Big O, if we don't get to claim him then my criteria is all wrong, LoL. I guess if you are going to make a list like this, where you honed your game should be the deciding factor. That would put Melo in MD, MJ in NC and The O in Indy.

Maybe cloning isn't such a bad idea after all? Each state could form Chinese style "basketball academies", and raise thier clones there. We could then start a series of Ultimate Basketball leagues. Starting with Pee Wee in as little as 5 years. Kind of like a Truman Show for basketball players. I would have to tune in, even if they were "mistreating" the little clone *******s.

Trader Joe
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
How did this become about all time teams? It started out about player's that clearly came out in the past ten years or so.

Taterhead
07-15-2008, 07:24 PM
How did this become about all time teams? It started out about player's that clearly came out in the past ten years or so.

Don't you think it's kind of a related subject? Should I have started a whole new thread? The last time I started a new thread that was closely related to another it was locked within a half hour.

KennerLeaguer
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Indianapolis can field a better team than any of those cities except possibly Chicago and thats debatable

Better than the DC-baltimore region?

How's this list:

Carmello Anthony
Mike Sweetney
Jeff Green
Kevin Durant
Michael Beasley
Roy Hibbert
Chris Wright
Austin Freeman
Nolan Smith
Donte Greene
Rudy Gay
Sam Young
Donte West

That's just the past five or six years. If you think using two cities as a region is unfair, fine, take away Baltimore and take away Carmello and Donte. That's still a great list.

MyFavMartin
07-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I thought Pistol Pete was a Louisiana boy?

Never mind.

Check this out though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9JLJunoxlc