PDA

View Full Version : Bloomington Restaurant?

MyFavMartin
07-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Any recommendations for a decent place to eat in Bloomington to where I could take a party of 6 (wife, brother, sister-inlaw, and our daughters ages 2 and 3)?

Thanks!

I ate at the Irish Lion years ago but not sure if it would be a good place for little kids...

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Puccini's La Dolce Vita.

http://www.puccinisladolcevita.com/

Not in anyway related to your basic Puccini's italian restaurant.

Their food is fantastic, and even though your kids are young they are pretty accomadating.

If you're into trying something new, I highly recommend Esan Thai.
http://www.esanthairestaurant.com/
Another more well known thai place is Siam House which is on the corner next to La Dolce Vita so its a solid fallback.

Those are probably my two favorite local places in Bloomington. Amazing food at both. I'd recommend Dolce Vita to anyone best Italian I've had in a while.

There are other places like Buffalouie's which is on Indiana Ave. pretty close to Dolce and Siam House (wings, chicken, bar food, etc.) or Mother Bear's just off of third st. (Pizza). Both of those places are solid. Also there are plenty of other choices on Kirkwood or College or Walnut. If none of the places I've named sound like something you'd be interested in let me know and I can recommend some other places.

duke dynamite
07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Yogi's isn't too bad.

Nick's English Hut has great food, too.

You have to be 21 to be in there after 9 or 10 pm though.

Spicoli
07-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Taco Bell.

I hear Qdoba is open late too.......

Slick Pinkham
07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Janko's Little Zagreb's serves some of the very best steaks I've ever had in my life, at at lower cost than any I;ve had that compare to it.

Not fancy, not quiet, not elegant, but good food and family-friendly.

I'm not sure about kids meals, but maybe they have kid-sized burgers or chicken fingers

Raoul Duke
07-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Opie Taylors. End of discussion. Great hamburgers, the best wings ever, great cheese sticks and fries. Man there is so much good food there. It's definitely a place you can take kids. Usually isn't hard to get a table. It's on Walnut just North of Kirkwood. I seriously ate there a couple times a week and I miss it.

Runner up: Mother Bear's. Great pizza but there's a wait sometimes. You can't go wrong with either.

Kaufman
07-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the village deli still there on the northside of Kirkwood - next to a music store called "trax"? I could be wrong on the name of the music store, but am more interested to know if the deli is still there.

Raoul Duke
07-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the village deli still there on the northside of Kirkwood - next to a music store called "trax"? I could be wrong on the name of the music store, but am more interested to know if the deli is still there.

Yep

Trader Joe
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah village deli is there. Their breakfast is killer...literally. It has to have the highest butter/cholestrol content around.

Kaufman
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
i like some breakfast from the deli

Trader Joe
07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
It is delicious.

Raoul Duke
07-16-2008, 12:24 AM
It's still no Opies

Pig Nash
07-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Trojan Horse is my favorite, Mother Bears is also very good.

kester99
07-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Is the ashram still cooking on College? Great borscht, black bread, and sprouts.

OK, that was awhile ago.

Whtwudusay
07-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I may be dating myself here, because it's been a couple of years since I have been back to town. Not sure all of these places are kid friendly, or even still open. Some of these have been mentioned, but deserve a "second."

-Trojan Horse
-Mother Bears - good pizza
-City Grille
-Encore Cafe
-Casablanca - I think it's on 4th street. Good if you are looking for something different
-Yogi's
-There was also a good sit down deli-type place by the Kroger behind College Mall. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. I used to love that place though - good sandwiches and good chicken nachos - and beer.
-The places on or near the square that were mentioned are all good.

Anyhow, lots of good choices, I think most would be ok for kids too.

Raoul Duke
07-20-2008, 10:23 PM
-There was also a good sit down deli-type place by the Kroger behind College Mall. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. I used to love that place though - good sandwiches and good chicken nachos - and beer.

Macri's, it closed this past year.

clownskull
07-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Macri's, it closed this past year.

yeh, and a damn shame too. i loved their smoked turkey panini (or however it's spelled)
and their beer specials of $1.99 32 oz. mugs were absolutely unbeatable. no where around is their a deal that even comes close to that. i am still (probably always will be) pissed kroger screwed them over and bought the lease away from them.

MyFavMartin
07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys.

My twin bailed on me, so instead of going to Puccinis, my other brother hung out with my fam and we ate at Opie's. I liked it.

But I kept the fact I'm a Purdue and Kentucky Grad to myself.... or at least after my food was brought out, which was very good.

Also, washing it down with a couple New Castles was good, too.

Los Angeles
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
The best restaurant when I lived there was the Uptown - right next to the Trojan Horse on Kirkwood.

Don't know if it's still there, though.

Sollozzo
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
The best restaurant when I lived there was the Uptown - right next to the Trojan Horse on Kirkwood.

Don't know if it's still there, though.

Yeah it's still there. I've eaten there a few times over the past couple of years, and it's pretty good.

Raoul Duke
07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys.

My twin bailed on me, so instead of going to Puccinis, my other brother hung out with my fam and we ate at Opie's. I liked it.

But I kept the fact I'm a Purdue and Kentucky Grad to myself.... or at least after my food was brought out, which was very good.

Also, washing it down with a couple New Castles was good, too.

Excellent choice my friend. I ate there Saturday and it was awesome.

Whtwudusay
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Macri's -- that's it. It closed this past year? That really stinks. What about the microbrew that was slightly off of Walnut - Bloomington Brewing Company, I think? Is that still open? They had good Buffalo Burgers and decent beer.

Raoul Duke
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Macri's -- that's it. It closed this past year? That really stinks. What about the microbrew that was slightly off of Walnut - Bloomington Brewing Company, I think? Is that still open? They had good Buffalo Burgers and decent beer.

I think you're talking about that Upland place? It's still open

D23
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM

I believe you're thinking of Upland (it's on 11th St. about a block and a half West of College Ave). And yep, it's still there and going strong. They have fantastic beer :cheers: Bloomington Brewing Company is still in town too - it's on 10th street in the middle of campus (part of Lennie's). They've got some good stuff as well.

As far as my favorite places in Bloomington, a lot of them have already been mentioned: Mother Bear's, Opie's, Macri's (sucked when they closed), Yogi's, Nick's, all good. Oh and if you're into Mexican there's a place on North Walnut, north of 17th St., called La Charreada. It's pretty tasty.

Another good place no one mentioned is Scotty's, just north of 7th & Walnut. Although it's not specifically local to Bloomington, and they're closed until the 25th for renovation. Any place that gives you a hand towel for a napkin has to have something going for it though :)

Whtwudusay
07-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I believe you're thinking of Upland (it's on 11th St. about a block and a half West of College Ave). And yep, it's still there and going strong. They have fantastic beer :cheers: Bloomington Brewing Company is still in town too - it's on 10th street in the middle of campus (part of Lennie's). They've got some good stuff as well.

As far as my favorite places in Bloomington, a lot of them have already been mentioned: Mother Bear's, Opie's, Macri's (sucked when they closed), Yogi's, Nick's, all good. Oh and if you're into Mexican there's a place on North Walnut, north of 17th St., called La Charreada. It's pretty tasty.

Another good place no one mentioned is Scotty's, just north of 7th & Walnut. Although it's not specifically local to Bloomington, and they're closed until the 25th for renovation. Any place that gives you a hand towel for a napkin has to have something going for it though :)

Upland is what I was thinking of - thanks! I also miss Lennie's - isn't there a Dagwood's beside Lennie's now? I used to really love Dagwood's.

I couldn't think of La Charreada's name - but it is darn good. My girlfriend at the time always wanted to eat there when I lived at the Knolls.

Taco Tuesday's was always fun at Scotty's and their mofo cluck had a nice kick to it too.

Whoever mentioned Buffalouis is right - that's good to. My roommate and I used to order from there a ton my sophomore year.

All this talk about good B-town food is making me miss B-town and get hungry!

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I'll never eat at a La Charreada's again after what they found in the kitchen of the one in Greenwood. I won't spoil it for the rest of you though.

Scotty's is decent grub, but I can get it at home in Indy too, so I don't really consider it Bloomington fare. Thus it's not that high on my list of restaurants to recommend to someone dining in Bloomington.

The Dagwood supreme is a nice little change of pace to the monotony of Jimmy John's and their special spicy sauce is really freakin' good.

Raoul Duke
07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I'll never eat at a La Charreada's again after what they found in the kitchen of the one in Greenwood. I won't spoil it for the rest of you though.

Scotty's is decent grub, but I can get it at home in Indy too, so I don't really consider it Bloomington fare. Thus it's not that high on my list of restaurants to recommend to someone dining in Bloomington.

The Dagwood supreme is a nice little change of pace to the monotony of Jimmy John's and their special spicy sauce is really freakin' good.

Oh man, you have to tell me what they found. I love Scotty's too. We always ate there or Opie's. Dagwood's is ****ing fantastic too.

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh man, you have to tell me what they found. I love Scotty's too. We always ate there or Opie's. Dagwood's is ****ing fantastic too.

Well if you really wanna know...(Don't click if you don't wanna know...Seriously...I warned you)

They found roadkill. A dead deer in fact, and apparently this was not a one time thing. Roadkill was being used by some of the cooks to save costs on meat purchases. If they went by some on their way to work they would load it in the back of the pickup.

Raoul Duke
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Well if you really wanna know...(Don't click if you don't wanna know...Seriously...I warned you)

They found roadkill. A dead deer in fact, and apparently this was not a one time thing. Roadkill was being used by some of the cooks to save costs on meat purchases. If they went by some on their way to work they would load it in the back of the pickup.

That's disgusting I just found that but it was actually Greencastle.

Trader Joe
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
That's disgusting I just found that but it was actually Greencastle.

Yeah good call on Greencastle. I couldn't remember off the top of my head when I first posted it.

Whtwudusay
07-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Wow - I now know where I'm never going to eat again when I'm back visiting.

MyFavMartin
07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I was near the Trojan Horse and looked at going into Uptown's, but they were closed til 4pm on Saturday.

College town in the summer, can't blame 'em.

Sollozzo
07-21-2008, 06:48 PM

Just found it online.

http://www.bannergraphic.com/story/1287130.html

I might never eat at the one in Bloomington again. That might not be fair of me, but that is a huge turn off for obvious reasons.

And in response to the topic, any of the 4th street ethnic restaurants are good in Bloomington.

pwee31
07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Try Lennie's