PDA

View Full Version : NBA Officiating- Interesting Article on OTL

waterjater
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
I didn't notice this one posted yet, so thought I'd post this one.

This is a good read from OTL on ESPN that has interviews with former refs, coaches and a current coach.

Interesting stat 75,000 out of 100,000 fans surveyed feel there is some partiality going on in refereeing of NBA basketball games! 75%

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3483237&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab6pos1

Water

NuffSaid
07-15-2008, 02:59 PM
The sad part is the league front office wants everyone to believe Donaghy acted alone and that his was an isolated incident. I say if one ref has done it there's sure to be others. Moreover, as to the point of the article, you can look at any NBA game and see there's favoritism all over the place. Even with someone as foul pron as David Harrison didn't deserve to be so scrutinized, IMO. You knew the moment he took the floor the refs would blow the whistle as soon as he bodied up his man. He may have been green, but I don't believe he deserved that because he played the position no more or less physical than any other Center.

This is the one area I defend DH! He was never going to get a pass by the refs no matter what he did or how hard he tried to play by the rules. He knew it; RC knew it. Even JOB knows it despite also knowing the kids still is a work in progress.

But the bigger issue is how refs DO show favoritism to certain star players or marquee teams. Example: How many times have Shaq committed a foul or reached over a player's back or travelled and didn't receive a call? How many times did we see Granger and JO called for travelling the last two years and yet you see other players make that same stutter step as they begin to make their move and nothing...no a sound from the refs.

The Lakers and Mavs, for another example, will undoubtedly receive more favorable treatment by the refs than say the Hawks or Bucks because the former teams playing in larger markets, whereas the latter don't. Nor do they have marquee players or coaches/owners who protest so vehmently when calls don't go their way specifically for their marquee players.

So, yeah, there's more to this story. David Stern just hopes this one goes away with the legal system.

Oneal07
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
It's a league everyone should be "cool" with each other but really it shouldn't effect what goes on the court. . .that's like Kevin Garnett and Kobe being Friends and Garnett letting the Lakers win the NBA Championship just because Kobe may deserve it. Donaghy is a scape goat no doubt, but it's his fault for being involved.

Maybe that's why no one like Joey Crawford? LOL. . .yeah right