PDA

View Full Version : Bird calls Chalmers the steal of the draft

Speed
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors

"Heat rookie guard Mario Chalmers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4496/) hasn't arrived yet. But he's on his way.
Indiana Pacers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/ind/) president Larry Bird loves him. "I think Mario's the steal of the draft," Bird said after watching a few of Chalmers' games at this week's Orlando Summer League."

All the way at the bottom, not much more than that really, but I would guess this is who they had targeted when they were trying to get the third 1st round pick, maybe.

CableKC
07-14-2008, 12:07 PM
And we couldn't get an additional 2nd round pick from the Blazers to secure this guy?

or

Bird couldn't make a qall up to McHale to try to get him?

QuickRelease
07-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Why would we target Chalmers when we had Ford and Jack in the works?

Anthem
07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Because he's an NBA talent that you could get essentially for free.

Hard to argue with Bird here.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM

1.) Ford is an injury risk.

2.) We could pay him next to nothing in NBA terms for a couple of years due to his draft position.

3.) I can't see him as any worse than Deiner, who we'd have to move but I think we could do it to a team need depth at PG.

Speed
07-14-2008, 12:46 PM
They've carried 4 PGs in the past. I'm not saying it is him that they targeted, but for Bird to say that seems telling.

beast23
07-14-2008, 12:51 PM
A number of folks on the forum have dissed Bird for not getting us an additional (3rd) pick.

But based on the magnitude of the 2 trades that Bird accomplished, it seems reasonable that he put in one heck of an effort to get a 3rd deal done.

He just couldn't find any takers with what he was willing to dicker with would be my guess.

But I am impressed so far with both Bird's willingness to pull the trigger as well as the quality of the trades that he has been able to complete.

Jonathan
07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
The whole deal with Pacers not getting the 33rd pick from Portland is this. Second Round Draft Choices do not have guarnteed Contracts.

No Way Larry thought for one second I would rather have Mc Roberts than CDR or Chalmers.

Chalmers might be the steal of the draft but keep in mind Larry also loved James White.

deekay85
07-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Chalmers have to prove himself in the NBA. Ford did it allready and is one of the top PG in the NBA.

cgg
07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
So they're set at PG forever! yay! Heat lower level season ticket holders have told me Chris Quinn is "a young Jason Kidd." lol I didn't even know what to say to him.

They're not really basketball people down here. I don't even get people talking **** about wearing a Pacers jersey to the games. When I went to the Pacers @ Magic game a couple years ago, they might have been selling court side tickets on the street for next to nothing, but at least the fans had enough self respect to make fun of my Pacers jersey!

A side note... I went to Island of Adventure the next day and it was AMAZING how many people were wearing Pacers gear. It was like everyone planned their Orlando vacation around the game.

Unclebuck
07-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Norway confirms the Pacers were trying to get an additional pick unp until none of the players they wanted was available - so it is safe to assume Chalmers is a guy the pacers wanted and tried to get in a position to take him.

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Norway confirms the Pacers were trying to get an additional pick unp until none of the players they wanted was available - so it is safe to assume Chalmers is a guy the pacers wanted and tried to get in a position to take him.

i don't think it is safe to assume anything until the Swiss get involved.

Speed
07-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Took me a second, but nice job!! :dance:

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Took me a second, but nice job!! :dance:

most of my posts are timed release.

Since86
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.:laugh:

Will Galen
07-14-2008, 02:57 PM

Good possibility. I think another guy theY were probably after was his teammate from Kansas Darrell Arthur. (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/player?playerId=19062&draftyear=2008)

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Indeed. Scandanavians are not to be trusted.

Naptown_Seth
07-14-2008, 04:46 PM
I've been jocking Chalmers as maybe the #3 PG in the draft for some time, and one you could (now obviously) get for a lot cheaper.

Chalmers is a great rebounder for a PG, runs a smooth, smart offensive approach, takes care to maximize his passing situations and can obviously call his own number when needed.

As he fell on draft night I couldn't help but feel like there was a missed opportunity, especially since the other deals meant the Pacers had little use chasing him.

Love, Rush, Chalmers - those were the guys I most wanted the Pacers to get in this draft. And then perhaps Arthur. And it would seem that they could have had them all but Love.

OTOH I will admit that Mario has proven nothing yet while Ford and Jack have. Can't cry over milk that's not even spilt yet.

But for the first time in awhile I'm actually going to be a pretty big fan of a non-Pacer (Love, Chalmers). Maybe a nod to Lee and Weaver if they can get it done too.

Robertmto
07-14-2008, 07:21 PM
yet everyone at the forum party turned their nose up when I said Jack wasn't an upgrade over Chalmers.

croz24
07-14-2008, 11:02 PM
and larry bird is a dumbass

Hicks
07-15-2008, 12:06 AM
and larry bird is a dumbass

:rolleyes:

Unclebuck
07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
One day later LOL

Speed
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
One day later LOL

We understand, different time zone over there.