PDA

View Full Version : Pacers buck trend, hold the line on ticket prices

Hicks
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080714/SPORTS04/807140341/1088/SPORTS04

Make sense. Raising the prices this year would be crazy. Hell, I'm annoyed that most of the league goes up every year. I'm sure that bit's the difference between success and the league folding.... :rolleyes:

idioteque
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
"As an owner, when they come to you with ticket prices, the way we played last year, I'm not sure we can raise ticket prices," said Pacers co-owner Herb Simon, referring to the team's 36-46 record that kept it out of the playoffs for a second straight season."

Wow, how often do you hear an owner say that? Even without raising prices I think the Pacers will make more money than they did last year in that attendance should be higher. Maybe not a heck of a lot higher, but if they can get closer to the middle of the league regarding attedance, well over 41 games that adds up.

MillerTime
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
They shouldnt raise prices. The Pacers had the lowest attendance last season and didnt make the playoffs...a team's record and attendance so hand in hand. If a team is playing like cr@p then theyre attendance is expected to be low (especially with a small market like Indiana). NY on the other hand, can play like cr@p every game and expect to sell out every game because of their large market

drewdawg
07-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Not only did they not go up but the price of my season tickets actually went down $16 per ticket. Factor in that they are giving the pre-season for free that is almost $1,000 per ticket difference from last year. As a season ticket holder for the past 17 years that was on the fence a little about renewing for monetary reasons that certainly helped make the decision easier.

Naptown_Seth
07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Simple ECON here. TIX SOLD * PRICE, price goes down, tix sold goes up, intersect the lines and find the optimal sales point.

If you raise prices 5% and it costs you 10% sales, you just lost. Plus it plays good as PR which gives you an added benefit (hopefully). They stand to gain a lot more simply by increasing attendence at this point.

Unclebuck
07-14-2008, 11:50 AM
I think every ticket in the place has been lowered (in the last 2 or 3 years) except for club seats and better lower bowl seats.

Kegboy
07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Make sense. Raising the prices this year would be crazy.

These are the same people who raised our ticket prices 60% the same week Reggie announced he was retiring, so no, this wasn't a given.

(Though, I guess it was possible that Donnie signed Larry's name on the letter...)

Putnam
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Simple ECON here. TIX SOLD * PRICE, price goes down, tix sold goes up, intersect the lines and find the optimal sales point. If you raise prices 5% and it costs you 10% sales, you just lost.

Plus it plays good as PR which gives you an added benefit (hopefully). They stand to gain a lot more simply by increasing attendence at this point.

You forgot to say cetera paribus. I'm looking forward to the next time engineering comes up in a PD thread, so I can horn in or your job!

But yeah, you are right. TPTB are striving to do everything they can to rebuild the community's interest and faith in the team. Pacer game tickets really aren't expensive compared to other entertainment, but the perception is different than the reality. It is going to help a lot to say, "Ticket pricdes haven't gone up!"

TheSauceMaster
07-15-2008, 01:40 AM
I almost considered season tickets this year. I'm actually excited about this season for the first time in 3-4 years. Also it helps that 2 of my 3 girls will be off in College this year , it means less people to take to the game. :laugh:

BillS
07-15-2008, 08:41 AM
I almost considered season tickets this year. I'm actually excited about this season for the first time in 3-4 years. Also it helps that 2 of my 3 girls will be off in College this year , it means less people to take to the game. :laugh:

2 in college and you can still afford season tickets?

You ROCK.

Indra
07-15-2008, 08:57 AM
TPTB are striving to do everything they can

I'm not sure if this is a really stupid question, but I can't figure out what TPTB is... I've pretty much figured everything else out (like MDJ...that one took a minute), but I can't get this one. Can anybody fill me in?

Gyron
07-15-2008, 09:01 AM
TPTB= "The Powers That Be" or it refers to the Pacers Management ie Larry Bird, The Simons, David Morway, etc.

Its a reference born out of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Series, when they always referred to "The Powers That Be" when discussing the whomever it is that makes the rules, and decides fate, etc, etc etc....

Indra
07-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Ah thank you, that makes sense.

Roaming Gnome
07-15-2008, 09:23 AM
TPTB= "The Powers That Be" or it refers to the Pacers Management ie Larry Bird, The Simons, David Morway, etc.

Its a reference born out of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV Series, when they always referred to "The Powers That Be" when discussing the whomever it is that makes the rules, and decides fate, etc, etc etc....

or...you could look at it as, "The Pacers Top Brass". As it relates to being Pacers.