PDA

View Full Version : Heat's Marion attracting lots of interest

MillerTime
07-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Forward Shawn Marion has attracted a lot of interest this month as teams such as the Clippers and Warriors have contacted the Heat, according to The Miami Herald.

The Heat have to decide if dealing Marion for help now is better than signing him to a long-term deal or allowing his contract to expire for salary cap relief next summer.

Both the Lakers and Raptors have expressed interest in Marion, as well, but Toronto is likely out of contention after dealing T.J. Ford for Jermaine O'Neal.

http://www.miamiherald.com/594/story/602990.html

MillerTime
07-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Marion would be a blessing in JOB system. But realistically, we probably wont get him. I read before that Bird was calling Miami asking them what they would want for Marion but never really read anything after. I wouldnt mind giving them a first rounder and expirers. I think if we kept Bayless we would have had a better shot at Marion....I think whichever team lands Marion will be lucky

A line up of:
Ford/Jack
B. Rush/Daniels
Granger/Williams
Marion/Rasho
Murphy/Hibbert

The reason I didnt add Dunleavy was because Im sure if we're going to land Marion the Pacers would atleast Dunleavy to the equation along with others. But once again, this is all wishful thinking

Kid Minneapolis
07-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Tinsley and Dunleavy for Marion. Works on realgm, too.

MillerTime
07-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Tinsley and Dunleavy for Marion. Works on realgm, too.

ya it work but thats not a realistic trade. A team taking Tinsley is a downfall for them, considering his health and contract. If it was something like Dunleavy + Tinsley + first rounder, then MAYBE Miami would consider...something like Dunleavy + Tins + Daniels + 1st rounder for Marion + Banks would be mroe intriguing for Mia

MyFavMartin
07-13-2008, 11:02 AM
something like Dunleavy + Tins + Daniels + 1st rounder for Marion + Banks would be mroe intriguing for Mia

I'd do that in a heartbeat. But I guess I would need some kind of extension agreement from Shaun.

Not sure Miami would. They'd probably want Williams and/or another 1st put in as well, though Marion's contract is expiring, so maybe we wouldn't have to give all this up...

idioteque
07-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Miami would demand Granger or else they probably wouldn't trade with us at all. If he is getting a lot of interest then we're obviously going to have to do better than Dunleavy and expiring contracts.

diamonddave00
07-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Shawn Marion is 30 already making 17.8 mil and an expiring contract , how much would he want to be resigned????

Lets say he wants 4 years at a pay cut to 15 per avg. $60 million package , is he going to be worth that at age 33 and 34 the last 2 years of the contract??

Plus giving up Dunleavy and at least 1 future #1 and something else , seems to me as a step in the wrong direction in building for the future. Marion's game would fit well here , but a long term , big money contract seems to me; as defeating the goal of salary cap flexibility the Pacers are attempting.

If Marion was 26-27 , I could see it but not at 31 in the spring.

Bball
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
We should've taken Marion when we drafted Bender instead.

But at this juncture - If we could've worked out some trade where we used JO to get Marion then it would've been Ok but I'm not sure about anything we could do now that might not be self-defeating in the grand scheme of things.

I suppose Tinsley and Murphy would be someone's reply to that. ...And I would have to think about that.

-Bball

JayRedd
07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
He's great but I've always thought he was a dunce.

rexnom
07-13-2008, 01:16 PM
He's great but I've always thought he was a dunce.
Wait. The guy who gets paid the max and prefers to play on the worst team in the league rather than on a contender with Steve Nash, a dunce? Surely, you jest.

TheDon
07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Wait. The guy who gets paid the max and prefers to play on the worst team in the league rather than on a contender with Steve Nash, a dunce? Surely, you jest.

I don't think they're the worst team in the league, just the best tankers in the league.

Kid Minneapolis
07-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Huh? Marion didn't sign a free agent contract with Miami --- he was traded. He expressed a desire to leave Pheonix a few years ago because they constantly dangled him in trade rumors every offseason, and he got tired of it. He still continued to play well up until he was traded for Shaq. Marion never really got the respect he deserved in Pheonix, and easily has more impact on the floor than Shaq these days.

It's not like he chased the money over to Miami. And ya, like TheDon said, Miami was a lot worse than they should have been... they should have at least been a playoff contender last year. Tanking = uncool.

Ramitt
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I don;t think the Pacers are at the point in rebuilding that you trade future 1st rounders for an aging star. Maybe in a few seasons. I just don't see trading for Marion being key to winning a championship for this team as is.

Anthem
07-13-2008, 09:23 PM
I don;t think the Pacers are at the point in rebuilding that you trade future 1st rounders for an aging star. Maybe in a few seasons. I just don't see trading for Marion being key to winning a championship for this team as is.
Well, it all depends. If they'd take Murphy and Tinsley (they wouldn't) it would jump-start the rebuilding process by 3 years.

I'm curious as to how much the Heat could really expect to get for him. Anybody have an idea of a price floor/ceiling?

Ramitt
07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I will give you that, but I really can;t see anyone taking those two together. i was thinking more in line with making a trade that involved pieces that are a part of a future contender, since I don;t buy this team contending for a few seasons.

Anthem
07-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I will give you that, but I really can;t see anyone taking those two together. i was thinking more in line with making a trade that involved pieces that are a part of a future contender, since I don;t buy this team contending for a few seasons.
Right.

They won't want Murph, cause they have Beasley. They're short a point guard... I'm curious as to what kind of offers they're considering.

If Bird is able to move Tinsley, I'll be officially impressed. If he moves Tinsley for Marion, he'll get my vote for Executive of the Year.

BlueNGold
07-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Right.

They won't want Murph, cause they have Beasley. They're short a point guard... I'm curious as to what kind of offers they're considering.

If Bird is able to move Tinsley, I'll be officially impressed. If he moves Tinsley for Marion, he'll get my vote for Executive of the Year.

It obviously will take more than Tinman. But would they take Dun and Tinsley? Salaries might come close to matching. Marion's defense alone makes it a quantity for quality trade...

Ramitt
07-13-2008, 09:56 PM
If they move Tinsley period I am gong to be impressed. I suppose giving up a protected pick with Tinsley for a player like Marion shoud be considered.

Kid Minneapolis
07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
The thing with Tinsley is he has some great basketball abilities.

It's his attitude that sucks. When he's in a situation where he's bought into the idea, he's a great player. If he's in a situation where he's not sold on the concept and has no respect for anyone, he just doesn't give a crap and that's exactly how he plays.

Question is, would he pull that crap in Miami? They have some players there that Tinsley can't mess around with. Who's in Indy that Tinsley cares about? For that matter, *what* is in Indy that Tinsley cares about?

We're talking about a guy who's lifestyle, whether you agree with it or not, just doesn't mesh well with Indy. New York or Miami? Might be more up Tinsley's alley, and I would not be surprised to see him have a resurgence if he was moved to one of those two cities.

I don't think it's Tinsley's ability that GM's question... it's his head. Like Artest, it's all about putting the proper "checks and balances" around those guys to get the "best out of them", unfortunately. But that might be how GM's are looking at Tinsley.

Maybe.

Miami needs a PG... Tinsley needs a change of scenery... it *could* work. Do I think it will happen? Probly not.

Doddage
07-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Tinsley and Murphy for Marion = :homerdrool:

Anthem
07-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Tinsley and Murphy for Marion = :homerdrool:
Heck, I'd even throw in Shawne and Diener!

rexnom
07-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Ah...the elusive Indiana pupu-platter. If only there was anything left in Memphis to trade for.

BlueNGold
07-13-2008, 11:53 PM
How about Tinsley and Quis?...and Diener?

MillerTime
07-14-2008, 12:48 AM
i think if the Pacers are going to add Marion theyre going to have to give up some first round picks...atleast one

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 01:15 AM
i think if the Pacers are going to add Marion theyre going to have to give up some first round picks...atleast one
No, we are not trading a first round pick for an expiring contract that could potentially be another bust year for Marion. Yes, he was great in Phoenix, but no.

Marion may be a welcome addition, but you can put enough gold sprinkles on a turd (Tinsley) to try and make it pretty, but Miami won't have that. If there is a way to put enough golden sprinkles and make it look like the best piece of poop in the world and Miami takes it, I'll be more than happy to take on Marion. I just don't see enough of those gold sprinkles setting around in the Fieldhouse.

And enough with the trading Dunleavy crap! It's not happening, especially for an expiring contract! You guys are driving me nuts!!!

rousea24
07-14-2008, 01:16 AM
The Heat wouldn't want Tinsley, Dunleavy, Murphy or any of the like. They're either going to get a superstar or near superstar player back for Marion or they will simply let his contract expire after this season and gain cap space.

Why would they want to take on any of our bad contracts for an expiring contract?

d_c
07-14-2008, 01:20 AM
The Heat wouldn't want Tinsley, Dunleavy, Murphy or any of the like. They're either going to get a superstar or near superstar player back for Marion or they will simply let his contract expire after this season and gain cap space.

Why would they want to take on any of our bad contracts for an expiring contract?

They pretty much won't. Bottom line: The Heat will have cap space next year (and/or the year after).

Trading Marion for the likes of Tinsley/Dunleavy/Murphy = using their future cap space on Tinsley/Dunleavy/Murphy. Pat Riley isn't dumb enough to do that.

imawhat
07-14-2008, 01:25 AM

1. Because they sorely, sorely lack PG depth.

2. If Marion plays and out leaves, they risk the possibility of getting nothing in return.

I don't see either taking on Tinsley/Murphy or Tinsley/Dunleavy as a bad deal for Miami. I actually like the looks of a lineup like Tinsley/Wade/Dunleavy/Beasley/etc. or Tinsley/Wade/etc./Beasley/Murphy.

Honestly, I think Tinsley has a lot more value than expected, assuming he's able to be fit. For a fringe team like Miami, or more importantly a true contender. getting Tinsley could be well worth the risk.

Keep in mind, trading an all-star level player doesn't always get equal value in return.

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Keep in mind, trading an all-star level player doesn't always get equal value in return.

That and they don't need a 2 guard.

d_c
07-14-2008, 01:30 AM
Honestly, I think Tinsley has a lot more value than expected, assuming he's able to be fit. For a fringe team like Miami, or more importantly a true contender. getting Tinsley could be well worth the risk.

If you think Tinsley has any positive value right now around the league....we'll let's just say we'll have to agree to disagree. The Heat don't necessarily view Marion as an all-star player. They're also viewing him as an expiring contract that gives them cap space if they don't like any of the trades that are offered.

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 01:31 AM
That and they don't need a 2 guard.

what 2-guard are we giving up?

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 01:33 AM
what 2-guard are we giving up?
Dunleavy's name keeps getting mentioned here.

It's making me want to kill.

MillerTime
07-14-2008, 01:41 AM

Bird said he want to keep players that can play offense and defense. Dunleavy is a liability on defense. Bird also said that they want to keep athletic players. Dunleavy is not athletic compared to the new players we picked up (Ford, Rush, and Jack).

In your defense, Bird also said he wants to keep "good character guy", which falls good for Dunleavy. Hes probably the most professional player we have.

There were rumors before that Bird has been shopping Dunleavy but his large contract is scaring teams away. With Bird picking up another swingman, im sure that one of our swingmen will be gone this summer. I dont think Granger will be going anywhere; Bird said that hes the only "untouchable players" on our roster. The reason why I dont see Williams going is because Bird came out publically and said hes on "thin-ice", basically bringing his value down. It would make sense for Bird to say that and then trade him off

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 01:45 AM

the only 2 guard the pacers have is brandon rush. dunleavy, granger, dunleavy, williams... all SF. just because we plug them into the guard spot doesn't mean they actually are.

in fact, here danny is introduced as the other guard around the 8min mark, not MDJ
8a7FkICslnQ

if the heat trade marion they'd need a SF and would prefer one that could shoot 3s. dunleavy would fit that bill and would play the 3rd fiddle next to wade and beasley. but the contract would probably be an issue for them.

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 01:47 AM
the only 2 guard the pacers have is brandon rush. dunleavy, granger, dunleavy, williams... all SF. just because we plug them into the guard spot doesn't mean they actually are.

in fact, here danny is introduced as the other guard around the 8min mark
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8a7FkICslnQ

I've seen all that.

But anyway, Dunleavy is playing the 2, so he is going to be a 2. He and Danny can swap, but I don't care how big or small he is, he is a 2 now.

Sorry for being stubborn.

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 01:48 AM
I've seen all that.

But anyway, Dunleavy is playing the 2, so he is going to be a 2. He and Danny can swap, but I don't care how big or small he is, he is a 2 now.

does that make quis a PG?

imawhat
07-14-2008, 01:48 AM
If you think Tinsley has any positive value right now around the league....we'll let's just say we'll have to agree to disagree. The Heat don't necessarily view Marion as an all-star player. They're also viewing him as an expiring contract that gives them cap space if they don't like any of the trades that are offered.

When he's playing, he gives top 6-7 PG numbers, is a great dribbler, and has incredible court vision; all for a mid-level salary.

If a team is convinced they can *change* Tinsley, and as history has shown, lots of GMs, coaches, owners, etc. have the belief that they can change a player (i.e. Artest, Francis), then Tinsley is a pretty good bargain.

Also, Miami will be selling Marion as an all-star level player, IF they are looking to trade. The idea is to get as much back for him as possible, so they won't be selling him short.

Cap space is over-rated. Of course Miami is much more attractive than Indiana if you're a coveted free agent, but there's NO point in having lots of cap space if you can't lure in a player who will be demanding your cap space as a salary.

Getting players in return is a MUCH safer strategy. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see as many sign and trades.

d_c
07-14-2008, 02:17 AM
When he's playing, he gives top 6-7 PG numbers, is a great dribbler, and has incredible court vision; all for a mid-level salary.

If a team is convinced they can *change* Tinsley, and as history has shown, lots of GMs, coaches, owners, etc. have the belief that they can change a player (i.e. Artest, Francis), then Tinsley is a pretty good bargain.

Also, Miami will be selling Marion as an all-star level player, IF they are looking to trade. The idea is to get as much back for him as possible, so they won't be selling him short.

Cap space is over-rated. Of course Miami is much more attractive than Indiana if you're a coveted free agent, but there's NO point in having lots of cap space if you can't lure in a player who will be demanding your cap space as a salary.

Getting players in return is a MUCH safer strategy. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see as many sign and trades.

Tinsley doesn't exist on anyone's list in the league as an asset. As training camp approaches, you're going to here more and more talk about a buyout. Morever, it's already been made a point by JOB and Bird that Tinsley isn't in their plans at all.

So if that statement has been made loud and clear and yet no trade has been made for him, it's pretty safe to say that nobody wants to trade for this guy (or the Pacers are unwilling to include any assets as a "disposal fee").

Miami doesn't need to "sell" anyone on Marion. They made that trade to save themselves from paying Shaq $20M for an additional season. That's the main reason. They intend to use that flexibility, whether by using Marion as trade bait or using the cap space he would vacate. Either way, I see a guy like Pat Riley thinking a lot bigger than Murphy or Tinsley.

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 02:20 AM
I don't see him as one, but he can play it if told to. Maybe not well, but if he has to play it he will.

MillerTime
07-14-2008, 02:29 AM

hes not a PG by no means. He can bring the ball up, but im sure if the opposing defence was to play a full court press, it would give Daniels a lot of difficulty. Hes better used for slashing and his defence.

imawhat
07-14-2008, 03:05 AM
Tinsley doesn't exist on anyone's list in the league as an asset. As training camp approaches, you're going to here more and more talk about a buyout. Morever, it's already been made a point by JOB and Bird that Tinsley isn't in their plans at all.

It's been quite the opposite lately. Larry has changed his tone publicly since the O'Neal trade, going from "under thin ice, PG for sale" to "Jamaal is working with our trainers and physicians, and hopefully we can find a team where he can be happy".

So if that statement has been made loud and clear and yet no trade has been made for him, it's pretty safe to say that nobody wants to trade for this guy (or the Pacers are unwilling to include any assets as a "disposal fee").

See the above, and I would also argue the opposite. If the front office thought a trade wasn't possible, we would've bought him out already. But if they don't think a trade is possible, you still wait out the free agency period just in case something happens. The tone of the front office has changed on Tinsley, and I think that's a clue that something may be warming up.

Also, the free agency period just began, so it's premature to assume nobody's interested in Tinsley. Here's how the process generally works:

1. Trading is active around draft day, particularly because of the interest in prospects.

2. Free agency period begins, trading halts. Teams see what they can get through signing free agents. You will see the occasional sign and trade.

3. As less free agents become available, teams start warming up to trade possibilities up to training camp.

Right now we're at the beginning of #2. What makes this year's scenario a little different actually works in the Pacers' favor. Free agent PGs are few and far between, and there are several teams that are lacking PG depth. Take Miami, for example. I believe we're close to a point where getting a talented PG will have to happen through a trade.

Not sure where you live, but I think (in general) people in Indiana may be a little too close to the Tinsley situation. Obviously GMs are a little more tuned in than the average fan, but prior to signing Baron Davis, I know PLENTY of Clippers fans who would take Tinsley, and just don't see the baggage that he carries. You saw the same thing with the Kings and Artest. To an extent, you saw the same thing with Dunleavy when he came to Indiana. You think Golden State fans thought Dunleavy was tradeable? They HATED him, much more than Indiana fans hate Tinsley.

Obviously fan opinions don't have a large influence on front office moves, but the point is that a player may be more tradeable than thought, for many reasons. I laid some of those reasons out previously.

Miami doesn't need to "sell" anyone on Marion. They made that trade to save themselves from paying Shaq $20M for an additional season. That's the main reason. They intend to use that flexibility, whether by using Marion as trade bait or using the cap space he would vacate. Either way, I see a guy like Pat Riley thinking a lot bigger than Murphy or Tinsley.

Glad we agree on "selling" Marion. But like I said, if Miami is interested in trading him, you don't always get back what you give away. Look at some past all-star trades: Garnett, Iverson, Kidd, McGrady, Ray Allen, Mike Bibby, Pau Gasol. Can you easily name what these teams received in return? Any players of equal value? Can you name an all-star level trade where a team received equal or close-to-equal value? How much bigger than a combo of Murphy/Tinsley or Dunleavy/Tinsley can you get for Shawn Marion?

If Toronto could get Jermaine O'Neal/#2 for TJ Ford/Nesterovic/Baston/#1, a Tinsley/Dunleavy/#1 or Tinsley/Murphy/#1 could certainly land Marion.

pacerscolts1125
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Any deal with Miami would include Foster. Miami needs a starting center who plays defense and rebounds. The last thing Miamis needs is a SF, they have Beasly,Jones,and Wright. Zo is out until December, so i think they would love to get foster.Riley loves Haslem at pf, thats why Marion WILL be traded. The only deal i see that we can do is

Foster, Daniels,Tinsley for Marion

PG)Tinsley,Banks, Lue, Chalmers,
SG)Wade, Cook, Daniels
SF)Beasley, Jones,Wright
PF)Haslem,Anthony
C)Foster, Blount, ZO

idioteque
07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again: it would be ridiculous for the Heat to even begin to take seriously any package the Pacers could offer for Marion that doesn't include Granger. They just won't do it.

Duleavy + 1st round pick + filler isn't chopped liver but if Marion is getting a lot of interest than there are teams that are willing to offer a much better package than that. And I don't see LB trading draft picks.

BlueNGold
07-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Any deal with Miami would include Foster. Miami needs a starting center who plays defense and rebounds. The last thing Miamis needs is a SF, they have Beasly,Jones,and Wright. Zo is out until December, so i think they would love to get foster.Riley loves Haslem at pf, thats why Marion WILL be traded. The only deal i see that we can do is

Foster, Daniels,Tinsley for Marion

PG)Tinsley,Banks, Lue, Chalmers,
SG)Wade, Cook, Daniels
SF)Beasley, Jones,Wright
PF)Haslem,Anthony
C)Foster, Blount, ZO

It will not happen then. I doubt the Pacers can afford to lose Foster at this point. No other big has been reliable to this team in the last 5 years. Marion is a SF not a PF anyway...and he has a big fat freaking contract. Ain't happening and it would not be worth it to the Pacers. Sub Murphy for Foster and they won't bite. Ain't happening.

Jimmy
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
haha, dunleavy is a shooting guard. a 6-9, 225 pound shooting guard.

pacerscolts1125
07-14-2008, 10:03 AM
It will not happen then. I doubt the Pacers can afford to lose Foster at this point. No other big has been reliable to this team in the last 5 years. Marion is a SF not a PF anyway...and he has a big fat freaking contract. Ain't happening and it would not be worth it to the Pacers. Sub Murphy for Foster and they won't bite. Ain't happening.

I agree, i never said i want him. This is the type of deal it would take to get him. Miami feels the same way you do. Thats why they want to get rid of him. There not going to resign him, so there looking for a trade to help other needs PG and C.

Putnam
07-14-2008, 10:17 AM

This is a fair remark as regards the free-agency market.

But cap space is not overrated in the business side of basketball. The Pacers need to be profitable, and to do that they have to find a balance between ticket sales and payroll.

We shouldn't think of a payroll below the maximum as wasted cap space, but as good management.

Anthem
07-14-2008, 11:56 AM

But he wouldn't be a 2 in Miami.

Not that Miami would do this trade.

Anthem
07-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Duleavy + 1st round pick + filler isn't chopped liver but if Marion is getting a lot of interest than there are teams that are willing to offer a much better package than that.
Like what?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm trying to figure out what Marion's value is in this league.

SycamoreKen
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM

But cap space is not overrated in the business side of basketball. The Pacers need to be profitable, and to do that they have to find a balance between ticket sales and payroll.

We shouldn't think of a payroll below the maximum as wasted cap space, but as good management.

That is the way the Spurs think. They will be getting that $3 million dollar check for being under the luxary cap, will have a big chunk of salary cap available for the great class of 2010, and still be a title continder next season. It can be done. Of course, it helps to have Duncan, Parker, and Manu.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Mike Dunleavy is a forward.

MyFavMartin
07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
whose really on the market that could be traded for Marion?

Artest, Odom, Al Harrington...

imawhat
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM

You're absolutely right. I've narrowed my thoughts to the basketball-side, because I think it's rare to hear a front office mention having cap space without the intention of signing someone.

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Mike Dunleavy is a forward.
Doesn't matter. He is playing a shooting guard. He is a shooting guard now until he plays the small forward.

Doddage
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm going to start a poll on this...

BlueNGold
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Dunleavy is better equipped to play SG on offense because of his ball handling and passing skills and SF on defense because he's long enough to grab some rebounds and does not have to stop penetration by a quicker SG. That's why he plays SG on offense for the Pacers and Granger usually guards the quicker swingman.

So, the problem is primarily him being paired with Granger. This takes Danny away from the basket where he can block shots and rebound on defense. That's one reason our defense has struggled...

Edit: Actually all things considered, Dunleavy probably is a better SF than SG....if you couldn't swap positions on offense.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 10:12 PM
It's really not an opinion-based question.