PDA

View Full Version : More from Morway

YoSoyIndy
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
The team is obviously make a push to get personalities behind the names. Simon, Granger, Morris, Bird, Foster and Morway have all written these stories.

He points out how the Bayless deal was constructed prior to the draft (assuming Bayless fell), but I wonder if it would have happened if Bayless wasn't there and Augustin was. I've read rumblings of that, but never heard a confirmation.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/column_morway_080712.html

By David Morway
We move into the Draft Room up to nine days in advance of the draft. It’s a large conference room that’s set up for our entire scouting staff as they make final draft preparations along with me, Larry Bird and Jim O’Brien. In part, we finalize both our draft board and our evaluations of each draft prospect, but we are also in constant communication with every team in the league to get a sense on how the overall draft is shaping up. We have seven to ten phones set up. They’re not extremely busy during the pre-draft period, but on draft night they ring off the hook.

In preparation for the draft, Larry and I had conversations with almost every team in regard to trades for players, picks and possibly trading up or trading down in the draft. After those conversations had taken place, we had a fairly good idea with which teams we might be able to execute a trade.

Heading into draft night, the player we targeted was Brandon Rush. There was a sense publicly that we were targeting D.J. Augustin, but because of the trade talks involving Jermaine O’Neal which centered on trading for an established point guard, we were actually focused on Brandon. In the end, we were fortunate to get two established point guards in T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack.

With the changes we’ve made, we feel we have taken a great step in moving the franchise forward.

As the 11th pick approached, we spoke with Portland and consummated the deal, contingent on the player they wanted being available as long as it was not Brandon Rush. Jerryd Bayless was their guy, and when he was not selected by New Jersey with the 10th pick, we finalized the deal and selected Bayless for Portland.

The deal with Toronto involving Roy Hibbert was agreed to much earlier in the day and as a result, we knew we were going to have the 17th pick. We were confident that Roy was going to be there. If he had gone earlier, we still would have made the trade but would have been extremely disappointed as he is the player we wanted. He is a solid big man with great character and big upside who helps our depth up front.

Even after we picked at 17, we aggressively tried to acquire an additional pick until the players we valued were gone. It wasn't until well into the second round that we felt the night was essentially done for us.

From a basketball standpoint, we think we've changed the team we have with players who are a better fit for Coach O'Brien's system and style of play. At the same time we have significantly improved not only our cap position for the future, but we now have the flexibility to continue to improve our team.

BlueNGold
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
In complete agreement with Mr. Morway. I have not looked forward to the season like this in 4 years...

dgranger
07-12-2008, 06:56 PM
The backcourt is great....excellent in fact. I dont know how much Roy can contribute this year, but if Troy Murphy could average double digit PPG and you couple that with the backcourt...we have a very nice team. I know its way early, but I just have to give my projected stats...

Ford-11 PPG
Dun- 17 PPG
Granger-takes a step forward 21 PPG
Murphy- Im hopeful...14 PPG
Rasho and Roy combined- 14 PPG maybe....

Then there is Brandon Rush who will put some points on the board, and Jack who will do a very solid job, Foster who will do his job...Shawne who will have a few good nights...if he is here...but be very inconsistent. I would love to get Carl Landry, but Im not getting my hopes up. For the team however...I feel we can do some serious ballin!

ABADays
07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Are we entering an era of communications with the fans?

ABADays
07-12-2008, 07:04 PM
The backcourt is great....excellent in fact. I dont know how much Roy can contribute this year, but if Troy Murphy could average double digit PPG and you couple that with the backcourt...we have a very nice team. I know its way early, but I just have to give my projected stats...

Ford-11 PPG
Dun- 17 PPG
Granger-takes a step forward 21 PPG
Murphy- Im hopeful...14 PPG
Rasho and Roy combined- 14 PPG maybe....

Then there is Brandon Rush who will put some points on the board, and Jack who will do a very solid job, Foster who will do his job...Shawne who will have a few good nights...if he is here...but be very inconsistent. I would love to get Carl Landry, but Im not getting my hopes up. For the team however...I feel we can do some serious ballin!

I hope Rush does because you've only got 77 point on the board.

Gamble1
07-12-2008, 08:22 PM

Think our bench can score more than 20 points?

GrangerThanFiction
07-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Think our bench can score more than 20 points?

If Graham can get some more burn, I think that his hustle and energy will manifest itself in the form of more offensive boards and deflections that turn into fast-breaks. Throw a healthy, but admittedly inconsistent, Quisy in there and you could have a foundation for something like "The Zoo Crew"-Lite.

Good question, though.

Kemo
07-12-2008, 08:48 PM
I personally think that everyone is going to be surprised out how good our Pacers really are .. this year...
I forsee a team that plays like a team.. and gets alot of wins .. due to it... . a'la Detroit ...
I am real excited , and can't wait...
It is an exciting time to be an Indiana Pacers fan

Pacers
07-12-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm disappointed they weren't able to work out some more deals. I wonder who they were targeting late in the draft?

Anthem
07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Even after we picked at 17, we aggressively tried to acquire an additional pick until the players we valued were gone. It wasn't until well into the second round that we felt the night was essentially done for us.
On the one hand, that's very good to hear.

On the other hand, it's kind of hard to believe. There wasn't a single team between 17 and 40 willing to give up a pick?

count55
07-12-2008, 10:43 PM

On the other hand, it's kind of hard to believe. There wasn't a single team between 17 and 40 willing to give up a pick?

A lot of those picks got moved around that night, so there may not have been a single team willing to give up a pick for what we were willing to give them.

juadam09
07-12-2008, 10:48 PM
I got this email Thursday night. Like ABADays, I am very happy that we have finally started this so called "era of communication".

Maybe the Simons will start a blogpacers.com. Well I can dream, cant I? On a serious note I am happy to see the new direction the franchise is going. Hopefully this translates from the top down.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-12-2008, 10:53 PM

It's kind of hard to say without knowing what we were offering.

dgranger
07-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, but then you got points from Rush, Jack, Shawne, Graham, even Foster

Anthem
07-12-2008, 11:44 PM
It's kind of hard to say without knowing what we were offering.
If we were offering a 2012 2nd-rounder, I'm not sure that counts as "aggressively" going after more picks.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-13-2008, 12:02 AM
That's what we were offering?

Link? :D

Major Cold
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
I am guessing that they were referring to Arthur. But we were strapped for resources. It would have been hard to trade a player just for the pick.

Williams is too pricey
Graham is a player that can be picked up anywhere
That leaves established front court players. And we need their experience.

My guess is that we weren't willing to take contracts back and alleviating cap space for teams like the Clippers, GSW, or Philly.

NuffSaid
07-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Morray confirmed two things for me:

1) The Draft really isn't a draft in the pure sense, not any more. In a real draft you take whomever comes your way when it's your time to choose. Kinda like when you're choosing teammates for kickball in grade school. Selction is purely at random with the best players going first, but no one knows what player will be selected in what order even if you know who's the best player.

2) Herb, Morray, Bird and O'Brien are all committed to improving this team both in the short- and long-term, and that's always a good thing.

imawhat
07-13-2008, 01:27 AM

Outside of a selective few players, I took it to mean we were looking to make a move a la Portland, where they were able to acquire a couple of mid-late picks which they turned into Batum.

True or not, it's a very good read. I like knowing they were willing to risk Hibbert being there at 17.

wintermute
07-13-2008, 07:44 AM
sure sounds like our draft plans were well-executed but gotta remember that every team declares victory after the draft.

case in point. after this year's draft, fred hoiberg (now minnesota's asst gm) proclaims to all and sundry that mayo was the guy they wanted all along. then a few hours later, memphis finally agreed to include mike miller and the real plan (mayo-love swap) materialized, leaving egg on hoiberg's face :D

to be fair, in our case both rush and hibbert do make sense.

I am guessing that they were referring to Arthur. But we were strapped for resources. It would have been hard to trade a player just for the pick.

i sure hope arthur wasn't the guy we were targeting, because new orleans ended up trading him to portland for *cash considerations*! yeah no doubt paul allen has no qualms financing this sort of trade and indiana is in a different financial position altogether. but it's still a hard thing for us fans to stomach.

count55
07-13-2008, 08:08 AM
i sure hope arthur wasn't the guy we were targeting, because new orleans ended up trading him to portland for *cash considerations*! yeah no doubt paul allen has no qualms financing this sort of trade and indiana is in a different financial position altogether. but it's still a hard thing for us fans to stomach.

New Orleans had agreed to sell that pick to Portland days before the draft, as reported here (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=427637), so the fact that Darrell Arthur got drafted there was purely coincidental. It doesn't make a great deal of sense as to why, but it appears that New Orleans (though they only have about $59mm in contracts) did not want to get another guy with a guaranteed contract...

Or, at least, they didn't see anybody available at 27 as of June 25 that they wanted to give a guaranteed contract.

MagicRat
07-13-2008, 10:03 AM
I got this email Thursday night. Like ABADays, I am very happy that we have finally started this so called "era of communication".

Maybe the Simons will start a blogpacers.com. Well I can dream, cant I? On a serious note I am happy to see the new direction the franchise is going. Hopefully this translates from the top down.

This was also in the Star sports section this morning......

wintermute
07-13-2008, 11:08 AM
New Orleans had agreed to sell that pick to Portland days before the draft, as reported here (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=427637), so the fact that Darrell Arthur got drafted there was purely coincidental. It doesn't make a great deal of sense as to why, but it appears that New Orleans (though they only have about $59mm in contracts) did not want to get another guy with a guaranteed contract...

oops... right you are. i retract my previous statement on arthur :blush:

Kegboy
07-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't understand how we couldn't have gotten one of Portland's 2nd's in the trade.

juadam09
07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
This was also in the Star sports section this morning......

but was it on blogpacers.com? :p

Anthem
07-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't understand how we couldn't have gotten one of Portland's 2nd's in the trade.
Heck, they could have just forgiven the 2nd that we owed them...

Ramitt
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Obviously they wouldn't for what ever reason.