PDA

View Full Version : Player Bonuses

RandyWrinkles
07-11-2008, 06:13 PM
As opposed to the NFL, we don't hear a lot about bonuses in NBA contracts. For example running a certain amount of yards will earn a player extra money. I didn't think this was common in the NBA (although it makes sense). I was reading an article at SI.com which states:

Bogut could make as much as $72.5 million, but the bonuses are difficult to reach and if he winds up making the All-NBA team or leading Milwaukee to the Finals, then the Bucks will be happy to pay the extra amount.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/07/11/weekly.countdown/2.html

Is this a lot more common than I thought? Why don't we hear about these sort of stipulations like we do with NFL players? Are players not really making as much as we think they are?

Smoothdave1
07-11-2008, 08:25 PM
The main difference is that NBA contracts are guaranteed, NFL contracts are not. I'm sure some of the Pacers have small bonuses built into their deals (making the All-Star team, MVp, etc). but these usually amount to 50k or so and are rather small in the grand scheme of things.

mboyle1313
07-11-2008, 10:17 PM
AG77,

The nomenclature in the article is inaccurate. There are no "bonuses" in NBA contracts. What the article is describing is what the NBA refers to as "incentives". These incentives, though not part of the actual contract amount (they are not, after all, guarantees) can be counted against a team's salary cap, depending on the situation.

MJB

Gyron
07-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification Mr. Boyle.