PDA

View Full Version : Be AWARE THIEVES

Jonathan
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Are stealing Catalytic Converters from vehicles. Just wanted to let people know.

Trader Joe
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
:link:

Jonathan
07-11-2008, 11:07 AM

It has been going on for awhile (2005) but recently K & R Tool Rental in Beech Grove was hit. Also my brother lives in Ten & they had thirty cars hit during a fireworks show in Memphis.

avoidingtheclowns
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
7/6/2008:
Theft of car anti-pollution device up across US (AP/WashPost)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/06/AR2008070600974.html

6/26/2008:
Md. Car Owners Try to Stem Rise In Thefts of Catalytic Converters (WashPost)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/25/AR2008062500579.html

if you want sources outside of the post you could do a google search
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=catalytic+converters

Trader Joe
07-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Sweet! Everything I ever wanted and more!

DisplacedKnick
07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Mine quit working on my older truck about 120,000 miles ago - and completely fell off about 60,000 miles ago.

Unfortunately I just took it to the landfill.

Anthem
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
A bunch of cars on our street were hit as well.

Jonathan
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
A bunch of cars on our street were hit as well.

Where do you live?

Hoop
07-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't have to worry I always take the cat off anyway, shhhhh.

The Toxic Avenger
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM
I don't have to worry I always take the cat off anyway, shhhhh.

Shame on you...

travmil
07-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Another thing they are taking:

We came home from work the other day and our house was hot and our air had stopped working. The unit was running, it just wasn't putting out any cold air. We thought this was weird because it's less than 2 years old. We called the heating and air company that installed it and after hearing what was happening they asked us to check the little box behind the unit where the wires run to it. We looked and sure enough it had been tampered with. There's a small plastic plug in there that has two tiny chunks of copper in it and thieves are stealing those plugs and taking out the copper. It cost us $12 for a new plug and $3 for a new master lock to put on the box.

idioteque
07-13-2008, 03:26 PM
These hillbilly thieves sort of crack me up.

Jonathan
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
GARY, Ind. -- A man apparently trying to steal parts from cars was fatally crushed when the jack he was using to lift one car failed and the vehicle fell on him, police said.

An employee at I-80 Auto Parts found the body of Terry Davis, 54, Friday morning in the parking lot outside the Gary business.

A spokesman for the Lake County Coroner's Office said Davis died from blunt force trauma. His death has been ruled an accident.

Police said Davis was apparently trying to steal catalytic converters from cars in the store's lot. The devices contain small amounts of the precious metals platinum and palladium, which command high prices on metal commodity markets.

Officers said Davis was trespassing on the property at the time of his death.

Bball
07-22-2008, 02:50 PM
GARY, Ind. -- A man apparently trying to steal parts from cars was fatally crushed when the jack he was using to lift one car failed and the vehicle fell on him, police said.

An employee at I-80 Auto Parts found the body of Terry Davis, 54, Friday morning in the parking lot outside the Gary business.

A spokesman for the Lake County Coroner's Office said Davis died from blunt force trauma. His death has been ruled an accident.

Police said Davis was apparently trying to steal catalytic converters from cars in the store's lot. The devices contain small amounts of the precious metals platinum and palladium, which command high prices on metal commodity markets.

Were there any signs warning would-be thieves about the potential of death and injury if they jacked up a car unattended? Did the thief use a jack that belonged to the auto parts store? Maybe his family can sue the Auto Parts Store. Afterall, had they sufficiently warned the man of the potential for death and not left the cars in plain view where they would be deemed as temptations, he might still be alive and able to continue to ply his trade!

...No I am not serious...
-Bball

Gyron
07-22-2008, 03:10 PM
You may not be, but you just gave Btown another potential client.

D23
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Hate to use it twice in one week, but....

http://mypage.iu.edu/%7Eadwsmith/earl.jpg