PDA

View Full Version : Lakers and Pistons... Team building or coaching?

Bball
06-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Do the problems the Lakers find themselves in show a problem with team building or coaching... or both?

Did Detroit expose that through their own team building or coaching... or both... or neither?

I'm not sure I phrased this clearly but we'll see.... :confused:

-BBall

Shade
06-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Speaking of which, will Brown give any props to Rick for getting the Pistons in the position to make this year's run? ;)

MSA2CF
06-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Speaking of which, will Brown give any props to Rick for getting the Pistons in the position to make this year's run? ;)

Yeah..."Thanks to Rick and the Pacers for being in the Conference Finals and losing to us. Without you guys, it wouldn't have been possible."

Unclebuck
06-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Bball, I don't understand your question.

Shade
06-14-2004, 11:31 PM

Yeah..."Thanks to Rick and the Pacers for being in the Conference Finals and losing to us. Without you guys, it wouldn't have been possible."

Nonono...I mean, the fact that Rick built the Pistons into a winner? Jon Gruden did it for Tony Dungy. :shrug:

Bball
06-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Bball, I don't understand your question.

I'm not sure if I do either! :o :confused:

I guess it goes back to the old discussions about whether Phil Jackson was a great coach or simply had the good fortune to be coach of some excellent teams.

So I am wondering if anyone feels that Jackson's coaching is being exposed or whether this team just isn't what it was supposed to be... or both.

-Bball

sweabs
06-15-2004, 09:15 AM
I think it is not so much Jackson's coaching that is being exposed, as it is his entire team and lack of depth.

The Lakers are desperately lacking productive scorers off the bench, and against a deep team like Detroit - that ain't gonna fly. Detroit is throwing fresh and healthy guys onto the floor that can still be productive on both ends of the court, whereas Jackson has to heavily rely on Kobe & Shaq.

In previous years, where the Lakers did win, teams like New Jersey and Philadelphia also lacked depth (in my opinion) which allowed Kobe & Shaq to take over...but this Pistons team defense and strong bench have kept the Lakers from doing the same this year.

Bball
06-15-2004, 01:39 PM
I think it is not so much Jackson's coaching that is being exposed, as it is his entire team and lack of depth.

The Lakers are desperately lacking productive scorers off the bench, and against a deep team like Detroit - that ain't gonna fly. Detroit is throwing fresh and healthy guys onto the floor that can still be productive on both ends of the court, whereas Jackson has to heavily rely on Kobe & Shaq.

In previous years, where the Lakers did win, teams like New Jersey and Philadelphia also lacked depth (in my opinion) which allowed Kobe & Shaq to take over...but this Pistons team defense and strong bench have kept the Lakers from doing the same this year.

So your answer would be it is a failure in team-building. The Lakers don't have what it would take to beat the Pistons (so far).

Thanks... That is the type discussion I was aiming for

-Bball

able
06-15-2004, 08:20 PM
I think I should reply before game 5, just to make sure no one can say that it is in complete retrospect.

Unlike a lot of posters I do respect Phil Jackson, coachin stars, wannabees and other types is not as easy as it is insinuated by some; the "he had the star(s)" theory.
Untill this year PJ has been successfull in getting the stars aligned, andwork together for a unified goal, winning.
This year there are a few loose ends, one being the arrival of two more egos on the team, people for whom their previous frnachise went through a lot to keep them happy and whereas now they are "supporting cast".

It is the unrest there, with GP wanting to be more of a star, Kobe's extracurricular problems and the base fact that there is no love lost between Kobe and Shaw that makes it impossible for the Lakers to play as a team, add to that the injury of Malone, who in some sense helped Phil to maintain the team's goals in the peripheral vision of all involved and Kobe's most likely departure, Shaq's " it is my team" attitude and you have a bunch of uncoachable figures with to much talent.

I believe that nothing helps anymore, but I could be wrong; there is always the off chance that they will realize that they are "outcoached" because they do not let themselves be coached, which in turn might lead to some form of resurrection, but I think it is to late, Detroits confidence is skyhigh and it will be very very hard to bend that in any way or form.

Has Phil failed? yes, certainly.

Is it all his fault? no, only the part where he allowed the team to be constructed this year in the way it was.

Part for part the Lakers should be better, however there is no glue, they are not "together" which is what's costing the parts to move the wrong way.

MSA2CF
06-15-2004, 08:23 PM

Nonono...I mean, the fact that Rick built the Pistons into a winner? Jon Gruden did it for Tony Dungy. :shrug:

:P I knew that.