PDA

View Full Version : Kings Brad Miller Suspended for Drug Breech

Will Galen
07-10-2008, 06:13 PM
http://sports.excite.com/news/07102008/v5757.html

Kings C Miller Suspended for Drug BreechJul 10, 5:53 PM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) -Brad Miller of the Sacramento Kings was suspended for five games by the NBA on Thursday because the center violated the league drug program. Miller, whose ban is set to begin with the first game of the 2008-09 season, averaged 13.4 points and 9.5 rebounds in 72 games last season.
-----------

This is surprising!

Oneal07
07-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Too bad no one will care. . he's not on the Pacers

CableKC
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Miller's a trouble maker.....quickly...offer up Tinsley+Marquis for Brad.

:signit:

Will Galen
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm surprised it didn't say Ex Pacer Brad Miller.

Justin Tyme
07-10-2008, 06:19 PM

It will later.

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
That is how I heard it on the local sports station...

Former Indiana Pacer, Brad Miller.

DisplacedKnick
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
Poor Brad just missed home so much he decided to do a little farming. Can you blame him?

You can take the boy out of Indiana but you can't take the Indiana out of the boy.

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2008, 06:33 PM
And, so it begins...

In the very least this could be entertaining due to a lot of hard feelings due to him not being retained.

LoneGranger33
07-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Will Galen suspended for English language breach.

aero
07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
brad still cant kick his nose candy habit huh? go figure...

Will Galen
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Will Galen suspended for English language breach.

Nah, it would have to be for copying and pasting.

duke dynamite
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Too bad no one will care. . he's not on the Pacers
The Indianapolis Star will find a way for it to come back at us.

I can see tomorrow's sports page...

"Former Pacers Star Breaks NBA Drug Policy"

EDIT: I should have read everything. You guys got to it before me.

maragin
07-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm looking forward to having him back on the squad. No sarcasm.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060110/SPORTS04/601100431/1004/SPORTS

Miller longs for his Indiana home
Kings center misses ex-teammates, hopes to be a Pacer again
http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif

http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com (mark.montieth@indystar.com)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Brad Miller was in the Indiana Pacers' locker room after their win over Sacramento on Sunday before most of the Pacers were out of the shower.
He looked as if he belonged. He only wishes he did.
Miller, traded from Indiana to the Kings in 2003 when the negotiations for his contract spiraled out of the Pacers' self-imposed financial reach, is happy in Sacramento. He's thriving on the court, too, averaging 14.9 points on 52 percent shooting and leading the team in rebounding (7.8) and assists (5.5).
He'd be happier, however, with the Pacers, for whom he played 11/2 seasons. That's why, following their 25-point victory at Arco Arena, he all but closed his eyes, clicked his heels, and said, "There's no place like home" as he stood in their locker room.
"If it's possible, when I'm done with this, I'll try to finish up there," Miller said. "There won't be an issue of a contract. Whatever it takes. I'll take the minimum."
The minimum? Miller's contract, which does not expire until after the 2009-10 season, will pay him about $68 million. A minimum contract would be quite a drop. By then, however, Miller will be 34 and have more money than he ever dreamed of having.
"I got more money saved up now than what I can spend the rest of my life," he said. "I'd have to buy the whole state of Indiana to spend what I got."
Miller seems intent on doing just that. He already has bought several hundred acres of land in and around Kendallville, where he grew up, and is looking for 400 more on which to build a home.
He spends most of his offseason there, and will be heading there over the All-Star break. He's hoping to go ice fishing.
Miller still is a bit dumbfounded at the turn of events that made him a King. Born in Fort Wayne, raised in Kendallville and a product of East Noble High School and Purdue, he was thrilled when he was traded from Chicago to the Pacers in February 2002 as part of a seven-player deal that also brought Ron Artest to the Pacers.
He walked into CEO Donnie Walsh's office his first day with the franchise and said he wanted to sign an extension right there to ensure he would finish his career in Indiana. That was impossible under league rules, however, and when Miller's contract expired in 2003, the market had shifted out of reach for the Pacers, who were intent not to pay the luxury tax.
The best the Pacers could do was work a sign-and-trade with help from Miller's agent, Mark Bartelstein, in which the Pacers received Scot Pollard.
"They never really made an offer," Miller said of the Pacers. "I was wanting to get it done quick.
"If they hadn't paid Jeff all that money . . ."
Miller said that for the benefit of Jeff Foster, who was passing by at the moment. Foster is one of his best friends in the NBA, and the two are in frequent contact. Miller exchanged greetings with former teammates Jermaine O'Neal and Austin Croshere, and joked with people who weren't with the Pacers in his time there, such as Pollard, assistant coach Kevin O'Neill and Sarunas Jasikevicius.
Miller only wishes he could spend more time with them.
"One day, I'll hopefully get back there and wear these new (Pacers) uniforms, instead of the old pinstripes," he said.

duke dynamite
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I liked Brad. It is a shame that he put himself in a bad position now. We wouldn't be a bad addition, that story is meant to hit the emotions, but regardless, that boy is in trouble.

Doddage
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Well at least this incident with Brad happened on the Kings.

With that said, I'll be glad to have him back here when his contract expires, if both he and the Pacers want to get something going again. Especially if we can get him at the minimum, why not? At 34, he'd still be able to give us some quality minutes if his body and skills hold up. If he gives us any problems or becomes a distraction, then we can just let him go.

Unclebuck
07-10-2008, 09:00 PM
In order for a player to get suspended, that means he tested positive 3 times isn't that right??

Not a smart move Brad

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
In order for a player to get suspended, that means he tested positive 3 times isn't that right??

Not a smart move Brad

Yeah, if it's reefer. I think they have a stiffer penalties for other drugs like aero suggested.

brad still cant kick his nose candy habit huh? go figure...

I thought that he only had a problem with alcoholism when he had his demons. I didn't know he had a drug problem, too.

Hoop
07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
I thought that he only had a problem with alcoholism when he had his demons. I didn't know he had a drug problem, too.
That's what I thought, that he had a alcohol problem coming out of college. He smokes a little weed, but I'd never heard anything about nose candy.

owl
07-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Maybe this was a known problem back when Brad was not re-signed.

NuffSaid
07-10-2008, 10:22 PM

It will later.
Give a few hours...the story will be modified to read, "Brad Miller of the Sacramento Kings, formerly a member of the Indiana Pacers...". :rolleyes:

Bball
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM

It crossed my mind back in the day that maybe there was a substance abuse issue bubbling under the surface and that played a factor in the Pacers not even making BMiller an offer. ....BUT.... considering the players we've kept and even extended, it's never made much sense that BMiller would be singled out over some of the others. IOW- If TPTB would tolerate it (look the other way, ignore it, stick their head in the sand, etc) in some, then why not BMiller too?

-Bball

juadam09
07-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I think thats a stretch. I just think TPTB did not want to pay the luxury tax and they were surprised by how much he was offered.

NuffSaid
07-10-2008, 10:48 PM
That's what I thought, that he had a alcohol problem coming out of college. He smokes a little weed, but I'd never heard anything about nose candy.
FYI, he didn't get suspended for nose candy; it was for weed per Art 33, Sect. 8(c)(C) (http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XXXIII.php#section8) of the CBA. Like the Roaming Gnome said, any other drug violation would have warranted a much stiffer penalty.

MyFavMartin
07-10-2008, 10:54 PM

As I remember, Sac extended quite a large contract that the Pacers didn't want to match.

At least that was the story. And considering he's a Hoosier and was an All Star Center, I'd believe it.

Don't want him back as he's a veteran C and the P's are rebuilding. Plus, I'd rather have Rasho.

indygeezer
07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Doesn't booze fall under the same rule as other drugs? I don't see where it mentions any specificdrug and if he has a booze problem and they've told him about it.

I'm not trying to sweep this under the table, if it was some other banned substance then shame on him.

Major Cold
07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
My friend serves at a church in Kendallville( Miller's home town). My friend knows the head of his estate, his uncle. Apparently Brad is smart enough to know that if he had complete access to the millions, he might go Pacman Jones on some strip club. Brad, I mean his uncle, donates money to towns for basketball courts. I played on one tonight.

Arcadian
07-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Doesn't booze fall under the same rule as other drugs? I don't see where it mentions any specificdrug and if he has a booze problem and they've told him about it.

I'm not trying to sweep this under the table, if it was some other banned substance then shame on him.

No, the NBA doesn't test for alcohol. You can show up drunk to practice if you like.

Edit: and I think it is bad getting caught three times. At least with Brad it has been stretched out over a longer period of time than David.

eldubious
07-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Poor Brad just missed home so much he decided to do a little farming. Can you blame him?

You can take the thug out of Indiana but you can't take the thug out of the boy.

Why haven't we seen this word yet?

Anthem
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Why haven't we seen this word yet?
Race.

As an added bonus, I'd bet Brad owns more firearms than the entire Pacers roster combined.

But that's different.

Kegboy
07-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Race.

You're right, he's not Indian. Last time I watched Temple of Doom, I didn't see anyone that looked the least bit like him. 'Cept Indy, of course.

MyFavMartin
07-10-2008, 11:44 PM
But that's different.

It's different when you can see the gun hanging in the back window. ;)

Bball
07-10-2008, 11:53 PM
I've only noticed "thug" being used in relation to a person or persons caught up in some type of violence, bad (anti-social) behavior, or have that type of history (on top of an incident like this).

I'm not going to argue some people do or don't use the word as some type of 'code word' for something else BUT I will argue that it wouldn't matter if Brad was black or white here in this case, 'thug' would rarely get used for this. There's no public history of fights, anti-social behavior, gunplay, or anything else of that nature.

Or IOW... Brad Miller isn't a good example of the point you or Anthem is (apparently) trying to make.

Hicks
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I think thats a stretch. I just think TPTB did not want to pay the luxury tax and they were surprised by how much he was offered.

They were fine with how much per year he was offered, but they wanted a four year deal, not seven. I believe the concern was his body breaking down, which it did. Although he bounced back this past year.

Hicks
07-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I've only noticed "thug" being used in relation to a person or persons caught up in some type of violence, bad (anti-social) behavior, or have that type of history (on top of an incident like this).

I'm not going to argue some people do or don't use the word as some type of 'code word' for something else BUT I will argue that it wouldn't matter if Brad was black or white here in this case, 'thug' would rarely get used for this. There's no public history of fights, anti-social behavior, gunplay, or anything else of that nature.

Or IOW... Brad Miller isn't a good example of the point you or Anthem is (apparently) trying to make.

Yep. I don't recall many people saying "thug" when David Harrison was hit with his weed suspension.

Hoop
07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
FYI, he didn't get suspended for nose candy; it was for weed per Art 33, Sect. 8(c)(C) (http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XXXIII.php#section8) of the CBA. Like the Roaming Gnome said, any other drug violation would have warranted a much stiffer penalty.Never said he did, I was agreeing with Roaming Gnome also, aero said nose candy.

pacers08
07-11-2008, 02:25 AM
man brad just needs to quit because none of the teams will take him because he does drugs so why waste ur time with just 5 game suspension

Isaac
07-11-2008, 02:53 AM
man brad just needs to quit because none of the teams will take him because he does drugs so why waste ur time with just 5 game suspension

If that were the case we'd have a pretty empty NBA.

duke dynamite
07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
His stats prove differently. He is still with the Kings, right? If he were that bad he would have been released from his contract years ago.

If that were the case we'd have a pretty empty NBA.
Maybe, maybe not. I think there was a thread a long while back that discussed this. Most of the players are clean, and lead pretty healthy lifestyles. You just never hear about it. You only hear about all the bad things.

Spicoli
07-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Probably was a large dose of skoal........

btowncolt
07-11-2008, 09:20 AM
If only we hadn't signed Bender to that extension. Brad never would have had to turn to drugs!

BillS
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
As an aside, one would expect the local media to play the "former Pacer" angle, because that's how they make the issue relevant.

Now, if a national outlet plays the "former Pacer" bit, I'll put my persecution sackcloth-and-ashes back on.

Anthem
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Yep. I don't recall many people saying "thug" when David Harrison was hit with his weed suspension.

I'm fairly certain it came up when Shawne got pulled over for weed. I'll go look.

Hicks
07-11-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm fairly certain it came up when Shawne got pulled over for weed. I'll go look.

Maybe. But then again, that also included a gun..... and some people are idiots with their comments, anyway.

Trader Joe
07-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Shawne has definetely been called a "thug" on here. I don't even like him and I'll vouch for that fact, people have called him a thug.

He is an idiot though.

JayRedd
07-11-2008, 12:01 PM
"Thug" is pretty much expected when you get pulled over with dudes who are carrying bags of weed and handguns, one of which is wanted for homicide. I'm not saying Shawne is a "thug" (and I don't think I have ever used that word in a malicious way), but his alleged offenses understandably provoke the term.

Simply blazing trees doesn't...or shouldn't.

Not for Brad Miller or Bill Clinton. And not for Robert Parrish, Sam Perkins or Bob Marley either.

Mourning
07-11-2008, 12:08 PM
If only we hadn't signed Bender to that extension. Brad never would have had to turn to drugs!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Classic!!!

Since86
07-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Probably was a large dose of skoal........

I talked to Oden about his olympic trial stuff during Jan. '07, and he said Brad (along with Adam Morrison, go figure) would actually be dipping while they played.

On a related note, said that Thad Matta chews so often that their practice court has waste baskets everywhere so he can spit.:laugh:

On a second related note, we actually got Greg to put some in. It was pretty funny during the time.

MyFavMartin
07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
didn't the kings start out last season with someone suspended as well? artest?

maybe that's why they're called the Western Pacers? Stern needs someone to pick on west of the Mississippi.

Unclebuck
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I love it when someone says, Oh I made a mistake - a mistake is something you maybe do once, or soemthing that happens by accident. Showing up to work late everyday is not a mistake, testing positive 3 times is not a mistake - it is a pattern and by definition means he has a substance abuse problem.

Here is a good article that clears up a few items of interest

http://www.sacbee.com/100/v-print/story/1075691.html

Kings, veteran center pay price

Five-game penalty indicates positive tests for marijuana

By Melody Gutierrez - mgutierrez@sacbee.com

Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, July 11, 2008

Brad Miller made the rounds Thursday, apologizing to Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie, expressing embarrassment to coach Reggie Theus and issuing a statement echoing his "mistake."

Miller received a five-game suspension for violating terms of the NBA/National Basketball Players Association anti-drug program. The veteran center will serve his suspension without pay during the first five games next season.

"I think first of all, everyone is disappointed," Petrie said. "He feels real bad about it."

The NBA did not disclose the nature of Miller's anti-drug violation. However, the most common reason for a five-game suspension under the league's anti-drug policy is testing positive for marijuana a third time. A positive test for other prohibited drugs such as cocaine and opiates results in a player being "dismissed and disqualified" from the league, as outlined in the NBA's collective bargaining agreement.

Steroids or other performance-enhancing substances result in a 10-game suspension for a first offense.

Petrie and Theus said they were not aware of the drug involved in Miller's case.

"There is no excuse for it, but it's a mistake, and it's going to be an expensive mistake for him," Petrie added. "We are going to start short-handed at the beginning of the season because of it."

Miller will lose approximately $693,000 of his team-high $11,375,000 contract next season.

Drug tests are administered randomly four times a year from Oct. 1 through June 30. After the first positive test for marijuana, a player is required to enter the league's substance abuse program. A second positive test results in a $25,000 fine, and the third carries a five-game suspension. The suspension is doubled to 10 games for a fourth positive test.

"This is something that I'm sure he never wanted to happen," Theus said. "But now that it has, he's just going to have to do everything he can to come back ready to play. The only way to fix it is to come back ready to go."

Miller is coming off a much-improved season in which he averaged 13.4 points and 9.5 rebounds in 72 games. He missed the final seven games of the season because of a stress fracture in his left leg and a bone chip in his right elbow. He underwent successful surgery in April to repair the bone chip.

His 2007-08 performance followed one of his worst campaigns the previous year, when he struggled with a left foot injury that led to conditioning and weight issues.

"I made a mistake," Miller said in a statement. "It was an error in judgment, and I'm very sorry. I regret it deeply. It's something I won't and can't take lightly. I hope to bounce back from this as a better person, and I'm excited about the upcoming season."

The last King suspended for the violating the anti-drug program was Maurice Taylor in 2006, and the team waived him one month later. Most notably, former Kings Chris Webber and Jason Williams served five-game suspensions in 2004 and 2000, respectively, for positive tests.

Second-year center Spencer Hawes likely will start for Miller.

"He is disappointed that it turned out the way it did," Hawes said of Miller after summer-league practice Thursday. "But the only thing we can do is move on and make the best out of it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to: Sacbee / Back to story

This article is protected by copyright and should not be printed or distributed for anything except personal use.
The Sacramento Bee, 2100 Q St., P.O. Box 15779, Sacramento, CA 95852
Phone: (916) 321-1000

Copyright The Sacramento Bee

Blink
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I will argue that it wouldn't matter if Brad was black or white here in this case, 'thug' would rarely get used for this. There's no public history of fights, anti-social behavior, gunplay, or anything else of that nature.

If Brad were a Pacer and black, I would be more surprised if I didn't hear anyone (I'm talking about Indy residents, non or casual Pacer fans) call him a thug, but that's my $.02

Will Galen
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
"I made a mistake," Miller said in a statement. "It was an error in judgment, and I'm very sorry. I regret it deeply. It's something I won't and can't take lightly. I hope to bounce back from this as a better person, and I'm excited about the upcoming season."

Par for the course to say your sorry and apologize to anyone wanting to listen. He's only sorry he got caught. The proof is the fact that this is the THIRD TIME he got caught.

Since86
07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
And if he was 2ft tall and blue, I'd be surprised if I didn't hear him called a smurf.

We all know that we're a bunch of racist hicks. Can we please move on from the fact that he's white and no one has yet to use the term 'thug'?

grace
07-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Can we please move on from the fact that he's white and no one has yet to use the term 'thug'?

I'm sure the animals he hunts think he's a thug. I guess that means Geezer is one too. Geez, maybe you should change your name to Indythuggian.

Moses
07-11-2008, 05:35 PM
What a thug!

YoSoyIndy
07-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Par for the course to say your sorry and apologize to anyone wanting to listen. He's only sorry he got caught. The proof is the fact that this is the THIRD TIME he got caught.

Not only that, but he's been a known-pothead for years. That's why he's always run-down by the second half of the season.

I've always speculated that's one of the reasons (beyond the crazy contract) why he wasn't re-signed.

Naptown_Seth
07-11-2008, 08:05 PM
And if he was 2ft tall and blue, I'd be surprised if I didn't hear him called a smurf.

We all know that we're a bunch of racist hicks. Can we please move on from the fact that he's white and no one has yet to use the term 'thug'?
Let's be a little fair here, there is something to calling out double standards when they happen. It's not even a drag Brad through the dirt thing, it's a lighten up on other guys thing.

People would still welcome Brad here. Those same people want Hulk and Shawne gone, Quis too from some of the stuff I read. Let's just have consistent outrage. Hulk has his temper but his trouble has really only been weed officially.

So do we want poor players off the team or do we want the image cleaned up? If Brad is welcomed back you sure have to wonder about the image aspect of it.

YoSoyIndy
07-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Let's be a little fair here, there is something to calling out double standards when they happen. It's not even a drag Brad through the dirt thing, it's a lighten up on other guys thing.

People would still welcome Brad here. Those same people want Hulk and Shawne gone, Quis too from some of the stuff I read. Let's just have consistent outrage. Hulk has his temper but his trouble has really only been weed officially.

So do we want poor players off the team or do we want the image cleaned up? If Brad is welcomed back you sure have to wonder about the image aspect of it.

I think part of it is people liked Brad a lot before he got in trouble. If Granger got in trouble, they wouldn't call for his head.

There's definitely racist-fuel here w/ some fans. It can also be blamed on fans liking players who they can relate to with race being one of the ways fans relate. No one gives Chinese fans hell for loving Yao before he stepped on the court. It becomes a problem when they don't like a player because of his race, which no doubt happens.

ABADays
07-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I think part of it is people liked Brad a lot before he got in trouble. If Granger got in trouble, they wouldn't call for his head.

There's definitely racist-fuel here w/ some fans. It can also be blamed on fans liking players who they can relate to with race being one of the ways fans relate. No one gives Chinese fans hell for loving Yao before he stepped on the court. It becomes a problem when they don't like a player because of his race, which no doubt happens.

Yao will become unpopular when China's smog starts spreading over the earth.

Since86
07-14-2008, 02:29 PM

To be completely fair, Shawne didn't get the term 'thug' thrown out him because he was busted for pot. It was the other things, along with the drugs, that fueled it.

If it was just pot, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but again, it was more.

That's the difference.

When it comes to Hulk, people were ready for him to be shown the door long before he was suspended.

The situations can't be directly compared because of all the other circumstances surrounding the Pacer players. If Brad was found with a weapon, had a man wanted for murder driving his vehicle with more pot and thousands of dollars in cash, then missed his court date you would see a little more bashing of him. In reality none of that happened in regards to Miller, so he doesn't warrant the same outrage.

rexnom
07-14-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm totally onboard with the "he isn't called a thug because he's white" line of thinking but I don't recall David being called a thug. The thugs are players like Quis, Jack, Tinsley, Shawne - guys who are involved with people who are dangerous, carry weapons and shoot other people. 86 is right in that regard.

Was Artest even labeled a thug?

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Certainly.

You remember that one time back in band camp when he punched a bunch of fans in the face repeatedly?

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 03:04 PM
You remember that one time back in band camp when he punched a bunch of fans in the face repeatedly?

that probably should have been a red flag.

rexnom
07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Certainly.

Yeah, but I count that as on-the-court...;)