PDA

View Full Version : J.O.'s Toronto Press Conference

Erik
07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
He mentions that off-court issues in Indy hurt his love, interest in basketball (not in those exact words) and the trade resparked him (not his exact words).
Says that the Raptors are Bosh's team, he's just there to help. I didn't hear it, but someone else said he plans on wearing #6. Skip ahead to 4:30 to hear J.O. http://mvn.com/hoopsaddict/2008/07/09/jermaine-o%e2%80%99neal%e2%80%99s-introductory-press-conference-in-toronto/

idioteque
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I saw this on NBA broadband. Raptors TV is actually trying to compare this is to the Celtics getting KG. If they're hyping up JO like this the fans are going to hate him.

Ownagedood
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Ya, they shouldn't hype him up so much.. He is good.. But you can't control getting injured when playing a sport..

But.. If somehow he does end up being great again.. I will be happy for him.. But at the same time I will be skeptical of his effort while here in Indy.. Just because..

McKeyFan
07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Raptors TV is actually trying to compare this is to the Celtics getting KG.

Man, we did good on that trade. Thanks to whoever sold them on the KG comparison.

:bowdown:

MagicRat
07-09-2008, 10:22 PM
The biggest news there was that Chuck Swirsky is the new Bulls radio man. I hadn't heard that.....

Ramitt
07-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Great he is making excuses, good luck JO and Toronto.:rolleyes:

Rajah Brown
07-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Somehow I think that at $250K (or about $350K, if divided by the
# of games he actually played in) per game, I could have retained
the 'love' no matter what. But hey, whatever. Water over the dam.

juadam09
07-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I have not heard the interview yet (my audio is not working) but I have a honest question for any one who starts to rip on JO? Have you ever left a job? If so, can you honestly say you had no ill feelings about the previous job?

Now I did not care for JO when he came here, then I came to love him, and after that big contract I felt like he just was not going to work out. I felt even stronger about that after the brawl and him getting hurt in the one game (his shoulder, was that against Portland?) and everything after that just seemed to go downhill injury wise.

Now do I wish he would just say nothing but postivie things about Indiana? Sure. But we all know JO has a nact to talk highly of himselves and I dont blame him for having some hard feelings. Dealing with the brawl is bad enough, but lets not forget he also got screwed over with the whole Isiah Thomas firing thing.

Now I am not making excuses for the guy, and I have been hoping we could trade him for a couple of years, but I cant hold a grudge against him for being honest about how the situation was draining on him. Even making 100M dollars all that other stuff can and does wear on you both physically and emotionally.

DGPR
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
At least JO is honest about his feelings of the past 4 years.

Anthem
07-09-2008, 11:06 PM
No comments on the "It's Bosh's team" routine?

I mean, he did it with Danny and Dunleavy and he seemed sincere. Worked out pretty well. Nobody's going to say that Jermaine's too selfish to help Bosh?

MyFavMartin
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Great he is making excuses...

And crickets chirp...

NuffSaid
07-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Two things caught my attention with this interview:

1) Although JO's spoke of the circumstances surrounding his knee injury in some details earlier this year (See Bruno's Jan 31, 2008 blog entry, "JO's Health Status, In His Own Words (http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=300017878&start=15)"), the way he explained this in the Toranto press conference was alot more straight-forward. Of course, players are always more candid once they leave.

2) For the first time since he shut it down in mid-February, not once did he say he wanted to get back to All-Star status. I think he actually went out of his way to avoid making that comparison. He finally stopped speaking in terms of himself and started putting others first. He actually spoke as if he were truly comfortable with the idea of deferring to those around him.

Was an interesting interview.

Pacers
07-10-2008, 01:03 AM
JO is not a leader, so why should it surprise anybody that he's comfortable with deferring the attention/expectation/pressure to others?

Mourning
07-10-2008, 01:56 AM
I wish him the best. I was happy he was on our team, but things needed to change badly and he actually agrees with that.

He also says it's unfortunate that his tenure here ended and the frustration the last couple of years was high. And though he is relieved to move somewehere else to move on he has lots of good memories to Indy.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

mb221
07-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Surprised when at around 19:50 he says that he enjoys contact. Thought JOs beef was always that he wanted a big guy to take the contact down low so he didn't have to.

MillerTime
07-10-2008, 03:38 AM
he said he was happy to get the phone call from his agent saying hes traded out of Indiana and the last 4 or 5 years have been the worst situation hes ever been in as a pro basketball player http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/pc08_oneal_j_080709.asx&video=blank&nbasite=nba

Unclebuck
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
The biggest news there was that Chuck Swirsky is the new Bulls radio man. I hadn't heard that.....

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not a Bulls fan. The guy they've had for the past 10 years or so was really, really good, but Swirsky - i think is horrible from what I've heard on the Raptors TV. Fake as they come

naptownmenace
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Water over the dam.

Isn't that the opposite of "water under the bridge"?

So I guess you plan on holding a grudge against JO. :laugh:

Anthem
07-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Man, I don't know how you could watch that interview and not like the guy.

Good interview.

Aw Heck
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't want to turn this into a Ron Artest thread, but I found this interesting:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/ulmeroneal_070908.html

M.U.:How do you describe Ron Artest?

J.O.: Heís a great father. Heís a very different guy, personally. He is one of the hardest workers I have ever seen in my life. Sometimes he doesnít stay focused all the time. A great personality. Sometime he just phases out. Heís a very shy guy. I cannot understand why he does things because he doesnít really like the attention. When you are talking to him, he doesnít look right at you. He looks away. He is very shy. Itís just unexplainable how he ends up in some of the situations he gets involved in.
On PD we like to speculate about Ron Artest's mental state and how he really is as a person. I just thought JO's opinion on him was very insightful.

Jonathan
07-10-2008, 11:01 AM
It will be very interesting to see if Jermaine is willing to post up with his back to the basket or will he settle for jumpers?

NuffSaid
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Surprised when at around 19:50 he says that he enjoys contact. Thought JOs beef was always that he wanted a big guy to take the contact down low so he didn't have to.
That's something else that caught my attention. I'm reminded of his resistence to play Center because as he claimed his body was taking a pounding. Now, suddenly he welcomes the contact? Get outta here!! :rolleyes:

Hicks
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
In that raptors.com interview he still doesn't call himself a "centre". Now it, "doesn't matter," because forwards play that role. Right.

Oneal07
07-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I saw this on NBA broadband. Raptors TV is actually trying to compare this is to the Celtics getting KG. If they're hyping up JO like this the fans are going to hate him.

That's Toronto for ya lol. I think they are trying to say we can compete with the Atlantic Rivals. I think if JO stays healthy, they can do just that

Oneal07
07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not a Bulls fan. The guy they've had for the past 10 years or so was really, really good, but Swirsky - i think is horrible from what I've heard on the Raptors TV. Fake as they come

LOL. . .Yeah, For REAL. :laugh: Sometimes he doesn't know what he is talking about. If he doesn't research it, he doesn't know it

idioteque
07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize JO for admitting that the last few years in Indy were tough- with his injuries and all the off court incidents that hurt the reputation of ALL of the Pacers (not just the ones who committed the acts), it had to be frustrating.

I'm glad he's getting a new start. It will be interesting to see what a healthy JO can do now, if he is indeed healthy. Right now, with the way the East is, I don't see the Raptors getting higher than the 5th or 6th seed, but we'll see.

Mourning
07-10-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think it's fair to criticize JO for admitting that the last few years in Indy were tough- with his injuries and all the off court incidents that hurt the reputation of ALL of the Pacers (not just the ones who committed the acts), it had to be frustrating.

I'm glad he's getting a new start. It will be interesting to see what a healthy JO can do now, if he is indeed healthy. Right now, with the way the East is, I don't see the Raptors getting higher than the 5th or 6th seed, but we'll see.

I aggree. I was critical of JO the past 3 years, but to critisize him for saying something about his frustration and it beying tough the last couple of years is almost assisine. We all know it was, so why make a big deal out of it when it's so obvious.

He also said he had a lot of fond memories of Indiana and his time here. So, people who only take one side of his story and don't mention the other part are not giving him fair treatmeant here IMO.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

2minutes twowa
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Check out JO's Toronto wallpaper. Toronto fans should get used to seeing JO wearing a suit:D

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/onealsignwall_wide.jpg

cgg
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Check out JO's Toronto wallpaper. Toronto fans should get used to seeing JO wearing a suit:D

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/onealsignwall_wide.jpg

Wow that's kinda sad...

Young
07-10-2008, 02:43 PM
The Raptors have a very interesting team with Jermaien there now.

I don't think there is a better two big man tandem in this league besides Jermaine and Bosh. I can't think of any unless you would rather have Shaq/Amare and I wouldn't.

Not only Jermaine and Bosh but Bargnani can now come off the bench. Sure he still has room to grow but he did average 10 points per game and start most of the games he played. He will get better.

They have a lot of different weapons at the wing positions. Parker is pretty good all around. Jason Kapono is one of the best shooters in the league. Jamario Moon gives them energy and Carlos Delfino took a step forward last year and really improved.

Jose is a good point guard. I just wonder who will back him up though.

I really like what their team looks like especially on offense a big like Bargnani and a shooter like Kapono can keep the court spread for someone like Jermaine. He will have plenty of freedom in the paint.

I just don't think this Raptors team will be close to being good enough on defense to compete with the Celtics.

2minutes twowa
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
The Raptors have a very interesting team with Jermaien there now.

I don't think there is a better two big man tandem in this league besides Jermaine and Bosh. I can't think of any unless you would rather have Shaq/Amare and I wouldn't.

Not only Jermaine and Bosh but Bargnani can now come off the bench. Sure he still has room to grow but he did average 10 points per game and start most of the games he played. He will get better.

They have a lot of different weapons at the wing positions. Parker is pretty good all around. Jason Kapono is one of the best shooters in the league. Jamario Moon gives them energy and Carlos Delfino took a step forward last year and really improved.

Jose is a good point guard. I just wonder who will back him up though.

I really like what their team looks like especially on offense a big like Bargnani and a shooter like Kapono can keep the court spread for someone like Jermaine. He will have plenty of freedom in the paint.

I just don't think this Raptors team will be close to being good enough on defense to compete with the Celtics.

With Brand and Kaman now split, you're probably right. I'm still not sold on JO getting back to all-star level though.

pacers08
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
jo is not going to do so good in that meeting of his

JayRedd
07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Good to see a guy with 13 posts hating me.

avoidingtheclowns
07-10-2008, 03:46 PM

it only took one of your posts for me to hate you.

and took less than that for hicks to hate me.

Erik
07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I was gonna wait until an even 400, but what the hell...

pianoman
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I wish JO the best of luck. Hopefully he will do good this year.

OnlyPacersLeft
07-10-2008, 05:36 PM
this guys a B!TCH ... he said he was happy to get the phone call from his agent saying hes traded out of Indiana and the last 4 or 5 years have been the worst situation hes ever been in as a pro basketball player http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/pc08_oneal_j_080709.asx&video=blank&nbasite=nba

*shakes head*
Damn jo...wtf...I can't even hear this right now but is this really how it sounds?

duke dynamite
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Everyone hates you.

Oneal07
07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
*shakes head*
Damn jo...wtf...I can't even hear this right now but is this really how it sounds?

He said that because of everything that was going on off and the court. It made playing basketball not fun. Basketball wasn't fun in Indiana because of everything BUT basketball. It just took a toll on him. If you can find the one on one interview he did after the press conference, he talks about it

avoidingtheclowns
07-10-2008, 05:59 PM
*shakes head*

i think MillerTime mischaracterizes it a bit. read the posts from DC and Mourning above. JO mentions how it was the worst situation a professional team has ever had to go through (the brawl) and then on top of that all the off-court issues and his own injuries. he was framing it as needing and appreciating a fresh start.

Anthem
07-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm with ATC. Watch the interview.

He didn't take any potshots on the way out.

JayRedd
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
i think MillerTime mischaracterizes it a bit. read the posts from DC and Mourning above. JO mentions how it was the worst situation a professional team has ever had to go through (the brawl) and then on top of that all the off-court issues and his own injuries. he was framing it as needing and appreciating a fresh start.

But out-of-context oversimplifications of complex topics are so much more fun.

Oneal07
07-11-2008, 11:28 PM
The one on one interviews are up on Raptors.com

http://www.nba.com/raptors/