MSA2CF
06-14-2004, 09:52 PM
:omg: :whoknows:

Hicks
06-14-2004, 09:52 PM
*sigh* If only.

Shade
06-14-2004, 09:56 PM
To be honest, guys, I definitely think the Fakers have a legitimate gripe this time about the officiating -- the Pistons have gotten a lot of calls that they weren't getting before the postseason.

Of course, they'll be getting no sympathy card from me. Those same refs helped hand the Fakers two of their three titles.

I'm also not trying to take anything away from Detroit. They are the best team in the NBA. But it does get frustrating that the Pistons are able to get away with a lot of stuff on one end that the opposing team can't do on the other, just because they're "known for it."

Why the refs are suddenly on Detroit's bandwagon is beyond me, anyhow. :shrug:

GEL
06-14-2004, 10:52 PM
The refs are the voice of public opinion (meaning rating points).

The ratings in this series are the best they have been in years, telling the 'powers that be' that the public wants to see the Pistons. Thus miraculously, the Pistons have stopped fouling and the Lakers have become incredibly inept on the defensive end. :rolleyes:

:unimpressed:

Not that I don't believe the Pistons are better than the Lakers, because I do. I just wish that the refs would do just that, ref. And all the other crap be damned!

:P

Kstat
06-14-2004, 10:58 PM

The ratings in this series are the best they have been in years, telling the 'powers that be' that the public wants to see the Pistons. Thus miraculously, the Pistons have stopped fouling and the Lakers have become incredibly inept on the defensive end. :rolleyes:

Not that I don't believe the Pistons are better than the Lakers, because I do. I just wish that the refs would do just that, ref. And all the other crap be damned!

Because as we all know....

If you're team wins, its because you were the better team

If you're team loses, its because the refs screwed you :rolleyes:

indygeezer
06-14-2004, 10:59 PM
NOW JUST A COTTON PICKIN MINUTE...

how many times have you seen multiple lane violations called against a NBA team this year? IMO those were some VERY "Laker-Friendly" calls at important times last night.

Stryder
06-14-2004, 11:03 PM

Because as we all know....

If you're team wins, its because you were the better team

If you're team loses, its because the refs screwed you :rolleyes:

It's called self-serving bias. The term can be found in most introductory Psychology course textbooks.

A common tool that people use during the critical thinking process.

Shade
06-14-2004, 11:07 PM

However, Detroit was getting the calls against the Pacers and Nets, too. Dunno about the Bucks -- didn't pay real close attention to that series. :shrug:

kerosene
06-14-2004, 11:18 PM
One thing that I think we can agree on is that the more aggressive team gets more of the calls. The Pistons have easily been the more aggressive team in this series.

Will Galen
06-15-2004, 04:32 AM
My great grandmothers nurses brother works for the NBA office. He says the games have always been fixed to a certain degree by the instructions given to the refs.

For instant this year the league powers that be didn't like the Lakers loading up on superstars so the refs were told before the finals, "no superstar calls." Usually the league tells the refs to keep superstars in the game if they can. Keeping superstars in the game obviously favors the Laker's, no super star calls favors the Pistons.

fwpacerfan
06-15-2004, 10:00 AM
I think it's funny that Phil Jackson has 'cried wolf' about the officiating for 12+ years now in the playoffs and the one time he actually has a legitimate complaint it is falling on deaf ears. I'm afraid that the Lakers will get the majority of the calls tonight though.

If you want to use a conspiracy theory it would be that the league is experiencing good ratings and will want to have this series go 7 games. It would be a big story if the Lakers were to come from the brink of defeat and somehow win the series. Game 7 might be a record breaker ratings wise. They would also be able to get a lot of mileage out of Malone and Payton finally getting their rings and Kobe's contract situation breaking up the "World champs."

Fool
06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
My great grandmothers nurses brother works for the NBA office.

Thats hillarious! I don't think it was meant to be, but it is.

Pig Nash
06-15-2004, 10:19 AM
:lol: CRAP

Will Galen
06-15-2004, 12:41 PM
My great grandmothers nurses brother works for the NBA office.

Thats hillarious! I don't think it was meant to be, but it is.

I'm 60 years old, do the math.

indygeezer
06-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Dang! You are an old fart. Maybe I'll relinquish my handle.

not gonna happen