PDA

View Full Version : e-mail from Larry Bird

Unclebuck
07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Today we officially completed trades that have been rumored since the NBA Draft, June 26. In one trade, T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston and Roy Hibbert (the 17th pick overall in the draft) come from Toronto in exchange for Jermaine O'Neal and our second-round pick from the 2008 draft. The second trade gives us Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush (the 13th overall pick in the draft) from Portland in exchange for Ike Diogu and Jerryd Bayless (the 11th pick in the draft).

I firmly believe these trades have put the Indiana Pacers in a better position than where we were at going into the draft. I'm excited about all of these players and what they potentially can bring to the franchise in terms of talent and character. These are the first of many steps it will take to get us back to the level I expect and our fans expect.

I can't promise there will be other changes before the season, but I will promise we are going to keep working to try to make changes that will make our team better. Again, these trades are the beginning of a process but my personal level of anticipation is such that training camp is three months away, yet I wish it started tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Larry Bird
President of Basketball Operations
Pacers Sports & Entertainment
Ignite the Passion. Restore the Pride.

croz24
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
can't wait to see josh mcroberts and maceo baston tear it up this year :rolleyes:

rasho FTW!

Ramitt
07-09-2008, 02:02 PM
One or both will likely be a player off the bench who plays some important minutes. I am not sure why you are whining about 2 players that obviously are not the focus of either trade, but I have come to understand nothing will make some people happy.

duke dynamite
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Wow, they actually sent me an e-mail!

Good times...

timid
07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I got one too, lol

arenn
07-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm on the list too - they must hit anyone who is a ticket buyer. I don't hold season tix, but do buy a number of individual games.

duke dynamite
07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm a STH and a lot of times they fail to communicate with me.

ABADays
07-09-2008, 03:06 PM
can't wait to see josh mcroberts and maceo baston tear it up this year :rolleyes:

rasho FTW!

I don't think those were the two we were "investing" in and I think you know that as well. TPTB made great moves.

MagicRat
07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Larry is on WNDE right now with JMV.....

MagicRat
07-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Hibbert's on 1070 now; going to be on 1260 soon....

grace
07-09-2008, 03:48 PM
My question is did Jose get a PM from Larry saying he'll be at the forum party?

Gyron
07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I like the new slogan he has in his signature.

Ignite the passion. Restore the Pride.

Much better than years past slogans. Are they using that in ads around town?

2minutes twowa
07-09-2008, 03:58 PM

That's why I stole it for my avatar:happydanc

juadam09
07-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I also received this email. I know it is hard to read emotion over the internet but I can say that for the first time in 2 or 3 years I am really excited for Pacers basketball again.

Ramitt
07-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Fitting slogan.

duke dynamite
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

I know the radio advertisements are playing with Chris Denari saying that slogan. I'm sure the ad campaigns will fire up late August, early September.

YoSoyIndy
07-09-2008, 09:39 PM
I also received this email. I know it is hard to read emotion over the internet but I can say that for the first time in 2 or 3 years I am really excited for Pacers basketball again.

Agreed. And it sounded like Larry wrote it. That's big to me. Maybe he did, maybe he didnt, but it felt like it.

The ball is rolling. I hope it continues. I just wish LB would have said who would start at center.

Tom White
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I just wish LB would have said who would start at center.

I think that would be a bit difficult, seeing how seven players haven't even been a Pacer for one practice yet.

Ramitt
07-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I am glad he did not say anything about anyplayer starting, that would be just stupid this early in the process.

YoSoyIndy
07-09-2008, 10:44 PM
I am glad he did not say anything about anyplayer starting, that would be just stupid this early in the process.

I get that. It's just the curiosity.

The person who should be saying it is Coach. And if Coach wanted to say it now, then it wouldn't be stupid.

juadam09
07-09-2008, 10:50 PM

The person who should be saying it is Coach. And if Coach wanted to say it now, then it wouldn't be stupid.

I get being curious, but if a coach announces any starters now then I feel like he is just handing that person the position. I like going into camp and having a open competition at every position.

Roaming Gnome
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Agreed. And it sounded like Larry wrote it. That's big to me. Maybe he did, maybe he didnt, but it felt like it.

The ball is rolling. I hope it continues. I just wish LB would have said who would start at center.

That slogan was chosen out of a list of about 30 slogans by 3 different focus groups. I had the privledge to sit on one of those focus groups back in April.

BillS
07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
That slogan was chosen out of a list of about 30 slogans by 3 different focus groups. I had the privledge to sit on one of those focus groups back in April.

It beat out "Ignore the passion. Rig the pride." by 2 votes. Well, according to Donaghy, anyway.

Ramitt
07-10-2008, 12:00 AM

No the coach should not be saying it either. Is this rocket science?
This is the off season, players don't earn a spot until pre-season starts and it is almost the real season. Come on, lets all use our heads.

YoSoyIndy
07-10-2008, 08:03 AM
No the coach should not be saying it either. Is this rocket science?
This is the off season, players don't earn a spot until pre-season starts and it is almost the real season. Come on, lets all use our heads.

Why shouldn't the coach have the right to say it whenever he wants? You really don't think the combination of past-production, work-outs and FA/Rookie camp provides the basketball staff the opportunity to make some roster decisions prior to preseason?

More importantly, Danny Granger is a set starter. Mike Dunleavy is a set starter. If you want open competition, then you can't claim these guys are set -- but these two are definitely starting w/ this current roster.

Even rookies can come in and have a lineup spot waiting for them. Hibbert isn't one of these guys, but there have been plenty of rookies coming in and starting at day 1.

The preseason can be used for lineup adjustments, but its primary goal is to give close-to-real-life scenarios for basketball strategy.

I appreciate you asking "all" of us to use our heads. Very classy approach to debate. You took a matter of curiosity and played it up as if I was claiming I really, really wanted the team to announce their SLU for the next year.

If the season started now, here's the SLU I think we'll use:
Ford
Dunleavy
Granger
Murphy
Foster