PDA

View Full Version : Trades are Official now

diamonddave00
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Details of the trades and quotes are now up on Pacers.com

DGPR
07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
It's official but the roster section hasn't changed yet. They still have us with Bayless and Jawai.

MyFavMartin
07-09-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/pacers_trades_release_080709.html

Pacers announce two trades; acquire seven players

The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday two trades that bring seven new faces to the team. In a deal with Toronto, the Pacers acquired T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston and Roy Hibbert (the 17th overall pick in June’s NBA draft) for Jermaine O’Neal and Nathan Jawai (the 41st pick in the draft). In a trade with Portland, the Pacers receive Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush
Here are brief summaries of the players acquired and their comments:

Ford is a 6-foot guard going into his fifth year in the NBA. He has career averages of 11.6 points per game and 6.9 assists per game. Two of his four seasons were limited by injuries (55 and 51 games). “I think my health is fine,” said Ford, the eighth overall pick in the 2003 draft. “It’s always going to be a question mark every year and every time I step on the court. I understand that. I’m just going to continue to work on my body and do the things to make sure I’m good enough to perform at the highest level every night. I’m excited about this trade and excited to be going to a team that really wanted me.”

Nesterovic is a 7-foot, 270-pound center. He has been in the NBA 10 years and in the last nine years has played in at least 70 games each season. His career averages are 7.0 ppg and 5.0 rpg.

Jack, a 6-3, three-year veteran, has career averages of 9.0 ppg and 4.0 apg. He played all 82 games for Portland last season and started all 79 games he played in during the 2006-07 season. “I think this trade is definitely something good for me, coming here with a fresh start. This franchise is trying to go in a positive direction right now and I’m happy to be a part of it. Indiana came up as a team I might get traded to and it was a team I hoped to be traded to.”

Baston, a 6-10 forward, is a three-year veteran with career averages of 2.8 ppg and 1.6 rebounds per game. He’s a former Pacer, having played in 47 games in the 2006-07 season. “I’m glad to be back in Indiana,” said Baston. “I’m excited to work with my new teammates, excited to play in Coach O’Brien’s system and I want to make the most of this.”

McRoberts, a 6-10 forward, is from nearby Carmel, Ind. He played two seasons at Duke and played eight games with Portland last season, averaging 1.5 ppg. He played 15 games for Idaho in the D-League, averaging 7.7 ppg and 2.5 rpg. “I couldn’t be more happy to be coming back here and playing for the Pacers,” said McRoberts. “It’s a dream come true. I can’t even put into words how excited I was when I found out I was coming to Indiana.”

Rush is a 6-6 swingman who played for Kansas’ 2008 NCAA Championship team. In three seasons with the Jayhawks, he averaged 13.6 ppg. “I knew when I came to workout for the Pacers, they were pretty high on me, so when I was drafted and found out I was coming here, my reaction was big. I feel spending three years at Kansas and winning the national championship helped me to be NBA ready.”

Hibbert, a 7-2, 278-pound center, played four seasons at Georgetown, averaging 10.9 ppg and 5.9 rpg. Last season, he was a Second Team Associated Press All-America. “I’m really thrilled to be here,” said Hibbert. “It’s a great organization. I just want to do everything I can to help this team win. I know I have to work extremely hard and I can’t wait.”

A press conference with Hibbert and Rush is scheduled for 2:00 on Tuesday, July 15. A press conference with Baston, Ford, Jack and McRoberts is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on Wednesday, July 16. Rasho Nesterovic is currently out of the country but will be made available to the media once he is in Indianapolis.

MyFavMartin
07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/obrien_trades_080709.html

O’Brien likes changes on court and off

Indianapolis, July 9, 2008 I think Larry Bird and David Morway did a great job in changing our basketball team around through the trades with Toronto and Portland. We needed change and not only did they get us some veteran players at different positions, they freed us up financially to be able to sign guys we need to sign and also possibly make some moves in the future. I was very impressed in observing how they went about this.

Here are my initial thoughts on each of our new players.

T.J. FORD – He's key. John Hollinger of ESPN.com had him rated among the top six point guards in the league last year when he was healthy. Any time you have a guy at the point guard position with his experience and his ability to create tempo it will make our fast-break style that much more effective. He's a veteran, but still young, and he's a heck of an addition to our basketball team.

JARRETT JACK – A tough-minded guy who plays both ends of the court. Jarrett is a tough defensive player, a solid outside shooter, has experience at both the one and the two spots. We'll certainly play him at the backup point and he might see some time at the backup wing spots. He's another young veteran. We've got a good combination of guys that have played a lot of minutes in this league but have a whole lot of minutes in front of them. The combination of the two of those guys has taken our point guard spot up not only a notch, but maybe two notches.

RASHO NESTEROVIC – He's a guy I've had a lot of respect for over the years. He's not dominant in any particular phase of the game but is a solid veteran that can put some points on the board, block some shots and has the size to be an effective starter. He certainly will compete for a starting job and it's good to have a veteran like that at the center position that somebody like Roy Hibbert can learn from.

MACEO BASTON – We were sorry to lose him two years go. The people I talked to around the Pacers organization at that time had a lot of respect for what Maceo brought to the court and to the locker room. He really solidifies our depth up front, which is really key. He's very athletic and kind of a skilled veteran.

JOSH McROBERTS – I really haven't had a chance to see him play much since college. He didn't get a lot of playing time in Portland but we're anxious to get him out on the court in a Pacers uniform and see what he brings to the team.

BRANDON RUSH – Brandon was a guy that we spent considerable amount of time studying and all along I think Larry Bird had him in his crosshairs as a guy he wanted to take at 11. When we had the opportunity with Portland, we did our due diligence and really felt we could get him at 13. What he brings could be a considerable impact at both ends of the court. He's a very, very good shooter, has a pro body, is very quick and athletic, and finds ways to score. We think he can be a really solid defensive player. Any time you're looking for somebody to take in the lottery, it's ideal to get somebody that can impact both ends of the court. We felt he could do so and had the maturity in his game to be a serious contributor next year.

ROY HIBBERT – I think Roy is going to be one of those young men that will be better in the pros than he was in college. I like his ability to use both hands near the basket. He has very fundamental footwork down in the low post, can face up and make a 16-17-foot shot. He's used to facing up and being a passer which is so important in our passing game. There have been some questions about whether he can play in our type of style but I say emphatically yes. There's no question in my mind. He's not the fastest guy but he's a persistent runner, he'll run hard all the time. Whatever his true speed is, he'll get down there on a regular basis. He's got length and he's a tough kid. I like size and toughness and that's what he brings us, and the ability to block some shots. Guys that have come through that Georgetown program, playing for the Thompsons, don't back down from anybody.

Every coach is looking for a group of guys that will allow teams to develop a synergy and I think this I that type of group. They're all people of high character and very good work ethic. I think our locker room will be great and as a result we might be able to develop that kind of synergy, which could be very important for our team.

Former ESPN.com blogger Jim O'Brien is entering his second season as the Pacers' head coach.

CableKC
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Checkout the Pacers webpage:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/player_pages_080523.html

I like it.

avoidingtheclowns
07-09-2008, 01:20 PM
mark boyle gives his two cents
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/boyle_reaction_080709.html

Dukins
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
we already have a thread for this.

Unclebuck
07-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Excellent analysis by this Jim O'Brien guy

2minutes twowa
07-09-2008, 01:27 PM

I like it.

I love it! Too bad we have to wait another week for an actual press conf.:(

Rajah Brown
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Not trying to diss Hibs, but I got a good chuckle out of O'B's description
of him as a 'persistent' runner. Stuart Gray and Granville Waiters were
both 'persistent' too. But hey, at least Hibs doesn't look like he's
running with a 50 mph headwind in his face ala those two guys.

2minutes twowa
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Not trying to diss Hibs, but I got a good chuckle out of O'B's description
of him as a 'persistent' runner. Stuart Gray and Granville Waiters were
both 'persistent' too. But hey, at least Hibs doesn't look like he's
running with a 50 mph headwind in his face ala those two guys.

Oh my God! Stuart Gray and Greg Dreiling! Two of my favorite Pacers of all time:D

rexnom
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Excellent analysis by this Jim O'Brien guy
It's almost like he knows this game of basketball better than all of us!

Speed
07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Bruno has Hibbert listed as the STARTER?!?!?

Doddage
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Jermaine is now #6, for those curious.

avoidingtheclowns
07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
It's almost like he knows this game of basketball better than all of us!

well maybe if the Pacers actually mentioned that O'Brien had previous coaching experience before joining the Pacers' bench doubters like LG would come around

Former ESPN.com blogger Jim O'Brien is entering his second season as the Pacers' head coach.

LG33
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
I still wish we had hired Chad Ford. You know Hollinger would have made a great assistant coach.

JayRedd
07-09-2008, 02:15 PM
I'll still take Kenny Smith at the point.

Kegboy
07-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Found this interesting:

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Trail_Blazers_Announce_Jerryd_-277258-1218.html

The Portland Trail Blazers acquired the draft rights to guard Jerryd Bayless (11th overall pick), and forward Ike Diogu from Indiana in exchange for Jarrett Jack, Josh McRoberts, the draft rights to Brandon Rush (13th overall pick) and cash considerations

:woot:

Gotta love getting some of that Microsoft money.

Hicks
07-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Uh, where exactly does he do that?

Aw Heck
07-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Uh, where exactly does he do that?
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/trades_roster_080709.html

Near the bottom. That's the page the broken link is supposed to go to I guess. They must just have a bad link.

Speed
07-09-2008, 02:51 PM
In another article Obie talks about Nesto competing for the starting position. I'd be shocked if Hibbert starts, but I'd be all for it, if he is even close to being ready for minutes.

It will help get through the whole rookie bigman lack of respect that the refs seem to always do. It makes me sick they do it, but Hibbert will be a foul magnet at first especially being slow on the defensive pick and role. Guards will throw themselves into him and he'll get the cheap fouls. Starting helps that respect level I think.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/obrien_trades_080709.html

"RASHO NESTEROVIC – He's a guy I've had a lot of respect for over the years. He's not dominant in any particular phase of the game but is a solid veteran that can put some points on the board, block some shots and has the size to be an effective starter. He certainly will compete for a starting job and it's good to have a veteran like that at the center position that somebody like Roy Hibbert can learn from. "

Speed
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/trades_roster_080709.html

Near the bottom. That's the page the broken link is supposed to go to I guess. They must just have a bad link.

Oops thanks for the assist.

Anthem
07-09-2008, 03:40 PM
cash considerations
Good catch. That won't directly help the team get better, but it sure doesn't hurt. If they threw in $3mil (the max they're allowed) that certainly makes it easier for the organization to buy out Jamaal.

count55
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Good catch. That won't directly help the team get better, but it sure doesn't hurt. If they threw in $3mil (the max they're allowed) that certainly makes it easier for the organization to buy out Jamaal.

Or...make for a helluva night at the HipHugger

duke dynamite
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
More and more I see Hibbert in the local media, youtube videos, and what-not, the more I like of him. I don't know if Conrad is on some kind of drug or anti-depressant, but I just don't see him as a starter at the beginning of the season.

ABADays
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM

I like it.

Oh my gawd. That picture of Hibbert looks they photoshopped his upper body with Traylor's lower body. Who the hell is responsible for those shorts!?! :-o

Speed
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Notes from 1070 Obie interview.

Hibbert has a body of a 19 year old kid physically and has room to grow into his body. I took this to mean he can put on even more weight/muscle.

When drafting Rush they were trying to find a starting caliber player that would be on a team who could go to the Eastern Con Finals. Feels like B Rush is that player.

Really liked the way Marquis played the last 6 weeks and that he will only play 4 wing players, so Shawne has a bunch of competition.

Thinks Hibbert at some point can be a starter at C or thats what they intend.

B Rush would play with Dunleavy some and they could play small ball.

B Rush could help Granger from having to guard the other teams best player and score alot.

Tinsley will not play another game as a Pacer.

317Kim
07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks, speed.

Did he really say that about Tins? It's good to hear him praise Quisy :)

duke dynamite
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Notes from 1070 Obie interview.

Tinsley will not play another game as a Pacer.

I'll believe that when I see it. I wonder why it is taking them so long to figure out what to do with him.

Speed
07-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks, speed.

Did he really say that about Tins? It's good to hear him praise Quisy :)

He said Kravitz wouldn't have to walk to Kokomo, which Kravitz has said for weeks he would do, if Tin man came back.

This is interesting:

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

317Kim
07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh, I see.

I suppose all we have to do now is find out what we're going to do with the guy.

MagicRat
07-09-2008, 09:34 PM
He said if Jamaal was back he'd walk to Kokomo with Kravitz.........

imawhat
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM

It will help get through the whole rookie bigman lack of respect that the refs seem to always do. It makes me sick they do it, but Hibbert will be a foul magnet at first especially being slow on the defensive pick and role. Guards will throw themselves into him and he'll get the cheap fouls. Starting helps that respect level I think.

Maybe if the guards are throwing themselves...otherwise, I expect people to be shocked at how few fouls Hibbert gets.

He does not bite on pump fakes like Harrison. Actually, I'd put him right behind Kevin Love on his knack for staying on the floor. He is truly an old-school defender. Also, he's not as slow as everyone makes him out to be. People are forgetting that he's 7'2", so he covers a lot of ground. He's much faster than Rik Smits.

He does committ some pretty stupid fouls beyond the three-point line, but I also believe that was part of JT3's system. We'll see.

YoSoyIndy
07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
More and more I see Hibbert in the local media, youtube videos, and what-not, the more I like of him. I don't know if Conrad is on some kind of drug or anti-depressant, but I just don't see him as a starter at the beginning of the season.

Me either - Foster will start as long as he stays healthy. Assuming he gets the bug again, Hibbert is the next guy up.

I think Rasho could play 5 against a lot of teams. I worry more about Murphy getting too much time. I'd love to get him moved.

TheDon
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Maybe it's just me but I don't see Hibbert being any slower than Oden and I doubt anyone would pass having him on their team. Seems like every draft report I read only nitpicked on his speed. Oden and Hibbert did play against each other in the NCAA Tournament. If I remember right Hibbert actually outscored Oden and Oden was in foul trouble for much of that game and Mike Conley pretty much singlehandedly beat Georgetown.

juadam09
07-09-2008, 10:53 PM

It says "projected starters". I wouldn't think anything would be set in stone this early in the process.