PDA

View Full Version : Turiaf signs with Warriors

SpADeD
07-09-2008, 07:32 AM
http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/lakers/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_turiaf_09.47b3657.html

Overpriced if you ask me.

Trader Joe
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Mullin is on a rampage.

Dukins
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Way too much for Turiaf.

Hicks
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
If the grand total of the contract is less than $20mm, it's not that bad.

Unless it's a 1 or 2 year deal. :D

Arcadian
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
It is fair. Less than 4 million a year.

MyFavMartin
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Redundant with Hendrix.

avoidingtheclowns
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
could someone explain to me what the warriors are doing?

idioteque
07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
This deal makes some sense for the Warriors. Turiaf can run the floor and rebound and defend well. Yes, Turiaf is getting paid, but some of you are acting like this is a Jerome James deal. Some Warriors fans will be kind of pissed with this since they lost the Elton Brand sweepstakes, which is really unfair to Turiaf, who is a great utility player and I don't really see him as being overpaid at all. If the deal was 4 years 20 million, then yes, it would be a bit much IMHO.

I've always liked the guy, he's a Jeff-Foster mold type player.

LoneGranger33
07-09-2008, 11:07 AM
The Warriors are trying to dismantle every team in L.A. is what they are doing.

CableKC
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I agree with dcpacersfan.....4yr/17 mil for Turiaf is not that bad. He's a solid rotational PF that is really competitive, does the dirty work, has alot of "heart" is one of those guys ( as dc mentioned ) that is an effective player on the floor that does not have to have the ball in his hands.

If anything...this will force the Lakers to go out and actually find a Frontcourt player. They will definitely miss Turiaf.

Unlike the Maggette signing....this signing actually makes sense.....Mullin got a player that can do something on the floor other then jacking up 3pt shots.

rexnom
07-09-2008, 11:22 AM
This is a great signing when you are over the cap and have an MLE to spend but why are the Dubs locking up their cap space for five years (Mags) and now four for bit guys that may or may not be useful when they rebuild with Ellis and Wright?

idioteque
07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
This is a great signing when you are over the cap and have an MLE to spend but why are the Dubs locking up their cap space for five years (Mags) and now four for bit guys that may or may not be useful when they rebuild with Ellis and Wright?

Brendan Wright as a main rebuilding piece? Looks like we might be doing back to the old days for Dubs.

CableKC
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
I can see your point with Maggette....but I don't agree with this on Turiaf. Turiaf is the "glue guy" that ( from what I have read ) is a good locker room / teammate / cheerleader type of guy that everyone wants on their team. He was signed with the amount of money that you pay for when you want a backup 6th to 8th man on your team. As long as Nellie doesn't go completely small ball on the Warriors and have him play Center all the time....he'll fit in well playing next to Biedrins.

If the Pacers could get more players like him on our team.......I would be happy.

pacergod2
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I actually like this signing because if you look at the udonis haslems of the world... they are getting paid about 6-7M per. Plus it puts the Lakers in a quandry about keeping their restricted FA's -- one or the other but not both. if i was the lakers i would resign turiaf and let vujacic go.

LoneGranger33
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
It's all about the Biedrins baby.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
If the Lakers let both Turiaf and Vujacic go, would LA become even more of a possibility for Ron Ron?

QuickRelease
07-09-2008, 11:43 AM
could someone explain to me what the warriors are doing?

I think it would be a greater feat if the Warriors could explain to you what they're doing.

Jonathan
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Being the optimist that I am
I hope the Lakers Offer Him 3 years 21 Million for a sign and trade deal with our organization for Tinlsey to keep him out of the Western Conference.

CableKC
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Being the optimist that I am
I hope the Lakers Offer Him 3 years 21 Million for a sign and trade deal with our organization for Tinlsey to keep him out of the Western Conference.
Turiaf isn't that much of a difference maker that the Lakers would pay top $$$ to keep Turiaf out of the Western Conference. Turiaf is a good "cog" player that any team can use....but he isn't THE "cog" that will push a team over the top.

d_c
07-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Overall, these are extremely amateurish moves by Mullin.

He now has caproom to give a MAX contract (albeit this would have ended once Monta signed) and he spends it on Maggette and Turiaf.

BTW, one Warriors beatwriter said Maggette's deal was for 5 years and $45M. That's essentially a Dunleavy deal, which is still not a good move.

Just when I thought Mullin was starting to get it.......

spreedom
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Overall, these are extremely amateurish moves by Mullin.

He now has caproom to give a MAX contract (albeit this would have ended once Monta signed) and he spends it on Maggette and Turiaf.

BTW, one Warriors beatwriter said Maggette's deal was for 5 years and $45M. That's essentially a Dunleavy deal, which is still not a good move.

Just when I thought Mullin was starting to get it.......

The difference is that Maggette is a MUCH better player than Dun... at least in my opinion.

d_c
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
The difference is that Maggette is a MUCH better player than Dun... at least in my opinion.

Really doesn't matter. He overpaid in both cases.

IMO, I think Mullin is counting on waayyy too much from Ellis, Biedrins, Wright..the other young guys...etc....

Don't get me wrong, I like all those young guys, but I don't think any of them are big guns. Those guys REALLY need to pan out into something or else I think Mullin is on his way to building nothing more than a middle of the road team in the west.

I'm pretty disappointed in the job this guy's done, really.

maragin
07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
The Warriors are trying to dismantle every team in L.A. is what they are doing.

I liked this.

Turiaf is one of my favorite guys in the league. I'm glad he got a contract, and wish him well.

carpediem024
07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow that sucks... He'll be missed by L.A.

Beowulfas
07-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow that sucks... He'll be missed by L.A.

Lakers still can match it. They have 7 days.

Jonathan
07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Turiaf isn't that much of a difference maker that the Lakers would pay top $$$ to keep Turiaf out of the Western Conference. Turiaf is a good "cog" player that any team can use....but he isn't THE "cog" that will push a team over the top.

They need a PG and Tinsley is the best one available. Match up salaries and make the deal:happydanc

d_c
07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
They need a PG and Tinsley is the best one available. Match up salaries and make the deal:happydanc

Problem with Tinsley is that after they commit to him and his remaining $21M, they'll STILL need a PG.

count55
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Problem with Tinsley is that after they commit to him and his remaining $21M, they'll STILL need a PG.

Pick, pick, pick...always quibbling over the details.

d_c
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Lakers still can match it. They have 7 days.

I don't think the Lakers will match. A lot of LA radio stations are saying they will, but if I had to bet on it, I don't think Jerry Buss will pay essentially $8M next season to keep Turiaf when essentially he'd be like the 4th guy in their bigman rotation with Bynum coming back.

Lakers are in luxury tax territory so $4M to start out with is really $8M after the dollar for dollar tax.

That's just my own guess.

Ramitt
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
That is just funny, I don't care who you are. Well maybe Mel, his Mom and 2 remaining fans.

ajbry
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Redundant with Hendrix.

My feelings as well, although honestly they're both pieces that will help the Warriors in several ways. I don't mind signing frontcourt depth...

Maggette still makes no sense. Mullin has never "got it" IMO. He got lucky on January 17, 2007, dude thought Al Harrington was the centerpiece of the deal... He's an idiot.

Jose Slaughter
07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
That is just funny, I don't care who you are. Well maybe Mel, his Mom and 2 remaining fans.

Dude, thats cold. His moms passed.

I like the idea of the joke, but really.....

Anthem
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Dude, that's not even cool.

Los Angeles
07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I love Turaif.

He's a workin' man's ball player.

Young
07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
I can't see the Lakers not matching this offer.

It's a pretty fair offer.

When you stop and think about the money some other bigs are being paid, Jerome James = 6 million, Stromile Swift = 6 million, Kwame Brown is coming off a contract that paid him 8 million this season, and of course there are more. Turiaf is well worth that money.

SpADeD
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Ronny Turiaf's deal is structured in a "slightly frontloaded" manner, according to agent Mark Bartelstein, which will make matching the deal even more problematic for the Lakers.

Assuming Turiaf's salary for next season is around $5 million, the Lakers would effectively be paying $10 million for a backup who would receive limited playing time behind Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

Bartelstein said the Lakers have not given him any indication on whether they will match the Warriors' offer, which includes a player option for the fourth year.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/10/SPS511NA6B.DTL

d_c
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
It's just hard for me to see the Lakers matching.

Pushes them that much deeper into luxury tax territory for a guy who would just be their #4 bigman and would get even less minutes with Bynum coming back.

Mourning
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Pick, pick, pick...always quibbling over the details.

Yeah, exactly!!! Besides, I hear AJ is still available aswell, maybe they could get both and have actually one good PG combined :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

CableKC
07-11-2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/10/SPS511NA6B.DTL
Frontloading the contract was smart way to continue screwing the Lakers. Even with Bynum returning....they are going to miss what Turiaf brings to the court and lockerroom.