PDA

View Full Version : Brand to the 76ers

HeliumFear
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers9-2008jul09,0,7626268.story

Elton Brand has reached a verbal agreement to sign a multiyear contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, according to an NBA source who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on player movements.

The deal is believed to be in the $80-million range and expected to span five years.

:eek:

Anthem
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Holy cow. I didn't expect that!

Basketball Fan
07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
While this puts Philly in the mix they won't win a title. Brand is a Duke player they are all cursed.

rexnom
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Baron Davis just ****ed himself over.

Is Philly immediately one of the better teams in the East now?

duke dynamite
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
:-o

That came out of nowhere.

Basketball Fan
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Baron Davis just ****ed himself over.

Is Philly immediately one of the better teams in the East now?

It seems like it but Baron hasn't signed anything yet so he could always pull a Boozer

Yes Philly is a better team in the East now.

idioteque
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow. I wouldn't put it past Baron to pull a Boozer at all now. He has a much better chance of winning at GS if they can come to terms.

Philly is alot better now, but not Detroit and definately not Boston. I do however think it's arguable that they are better than Orlando.

LoneGranger33
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Hahahahaha...Baron Davis.

avoidingtheclowns
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
someone just wrecked bill plaschke's day

VLOqRFT65_M

CableKC
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
LOL about Baron........if I were the Warriors...I wouldn't want him back.

avoidingtheclowns
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
clippers go after emecka or josh smith now?

idioteque
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
clippers go after emecka or josh smith now?

Emecka is as good as he'll ever be now. Josh Smith on the other hand...

rexnom
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
This is turning into one of the most entertaining FA periods I can remember.

JayRedd
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Have you already forgotten about Stanko's Russian Diner?

idioteque
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Yeah, this **** is bananas.

I don't even have a clue who Brand's backup was/is.

avoidingtheclowns
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, this **** is bananas.

I don't even have a clue who Brand's backup was/is.

our own former josh powell

Rajah Brown
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Davis wants to be in L.A. as much or more than he cares about
winning. I'll bet he sticks with the Clips no matter what.

idioteque
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I always liked Powell. I wish we didn't throw him away in the GS deal, especially now. He hustled and could rebound, kind of reminded me of Dale Davis. I wish him the best out there.

Justin Tyme
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Must be a reason the 6er's did the trade with Minnie!

That makes them instantly better, and a bigger player in the EC now.

ajbry
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Baron probably doesn't mind actually... He gets to play in his hometown, will likely force management to oust Dunleavy Sr., and will be able to fire up 20 shots a night with no actual expectations for his team.

LoneGranger33
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
You've soured on him considerably, ajbry.

ajbry
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM

In another deal today, former Clipper Corey Maggette reached agreement to join the Golden State Warriors in a five-year deal worth about $50 million, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about player movements. Maggette also opted out of the last year of his Clippers contract last week.

***** YOU MULLIN! This is unbelievable. What an idiot.

avoidingtheclowns
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM

did you forget that he was the dude that signed murphy and dunleavy?

LoneGranger33
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Come back to us now.

We've got a brand new Jack for you here.

duke dynamite
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Wow, the Clippers have an empty locker room.

avoidingtheclowns
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Come back to us now.

We've got a brand new Jack for you here.
:laugh:

ajbry
07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Mullin may have just saved me $199 actually...

LG, don't tempt me. I feel the urge.

Will Galen
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM

I did.

Even though everyone was writing he would go back to the Clippers I didn't believe them, because I thought if he was going to accept the Clippers offer he already would have.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Holy cow, did Mullin just declare open season on Clippers players or what? No way he'd made Mags a target prior to this week.

Seriously, a 5-year contract? 10mil/year for three, maybe, just to carry you through the next couple of wilderness years. But at 5 years, he's going to be sucking up cap space once they're ready to start the rebuild.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I did.

Even though everyone was writing he would go back to the Clippers I didn't believe them, because I thought if he was going to except the Clippers offer he already would have.
I figured somebody would make him a good offer.

I didn't think it would be the Warriors. He's not exactly what they need.

ajbry
07-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to: "Brand to the 76ers; Warriors fans want to kill themselves"?

rexnom
07-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Haha...love it.

wintermute
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM

no kidding. especially with all the experts pointing out that there will be very few teams with cap space. but those that have, are really stirring it up.

ajbry
07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
At this point I'm hoping Jack is traded to a contender.

Hicks
07-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Can we change the title of this thread to: "Brand to the 76ers; Warriors fans want to kill themselves"?

Why? Did you really think he was going to the Warriors?

ajbry
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Why? Did you really think he was going to the Warriors?

I'm talking about Corey 'I play no defense and suck' Maggette.

Isaac
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Why is everybody so surprised? I thought Elton would be a Sixer during the playoffs last year, and going in to the offseason I still thought that was the most likely scenario.

When Baron signed with the Clips I thought it was possible Elton would stay there, but Philly still made the most sense.

Trader Joe
07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
LMAO about Maggz. Thats the funniest thing I've read in a while. Like I said a week or so ago, just when you thought Mullin had turned the corner, hes having the offseason of a lifetime. Hes gonna make it back on Bill Simmons's atrocius GM summit at this rate.

Jonathan
07-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Philly has to re sign Louis Williams and they will be a playoff team barring injuries!

DgR
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I wonder which- if any- of these deals are concrete and which ones will actually go down

Isaac
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Philly has to re sign Louis Williams and they will be a playoff team barring injuries!

They were a playoff team last year.

With this move I think they are better than Toronto with Jermaine. Much more depth and versatility. It may be going out on a limb, but I think they may now be better than Detroit too. They gave the Pistons a hell of a fight last year in the playoffs, and they have now added exactly the type of player that would have put them over the top against the Pistons.

Shade
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
The ultimate irony in all of this is that Dunleavy is a better player than Maggette, and now has a better contract to boot. This reeks of "panic move" for the Dubs.

I'm pissed that Brand left LA for two main reasons:

- It makes the Sixers better, which makes things tougher for the Pacers;
- I will be rooting for the Clippers since they have Eric Gordan, and they could have done some damage with Brand.

Look for the Clippers to push hard for Josh Smith now.

BlueNGold
07-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I suppose Mags takes SG and Monte shifts to PG...but unless Mully has some other trade up his sleeve, this is ridiculous. Mags for 10M per for 5 years? That's as bad as Murph's contract. The guy is not that good and does not have a good track record health-wise. GS just took a major step backwards...

ajbry
07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I suppose Mags takes SG and Monte shifts to PG...but unless Mully has some other trade up his sleeve, this is ridiculous. Mags for 10M per for 5 years? That's as bad as Murph's contract. The guy is not that good and does not have a good track record health-wise. GS just took a major step backwards...

I can't wait to see Jack try and guard three players at once (his own man, the star of the other team - and the entire opposing backcourt because Monta and Maggs will be waiting at the other end of the floor fighting each other to get closest to the rim and get their empty points).

I am so disgusted.

TheDon
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Wow, can't believe that about Brand but then again I care little to not at all about any other team than the pacers so this could have been glaringly obvious to other people that Brand was heading to Philly.

On another note LMAO @ the Warriors, I can't wait to see how "Captain Jack" handles being the man and how quickly those fans who threw it in our face turn on them. I hope Jack and Al rot there for the remainder of their basketball careers and nelly is chewing them out every step of the way. I'd LOVE to see jack try and cuss out nelly like he did rick. Sweet sweet karma :D

LoneGranger33
07-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I think the Warriors bashing has gone too far. Plus, I think they're better off without Davis anyways. Monta Ellis better learn how to point guard though.

ABADays
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
ajbry

I keep seeing all of your avatars of Jackson. Why does a guy going on 31 still dress like he's 16?

Jose Slaughter
07-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Jermaine now has his All Star weekends free.

ajbry
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM
ajbry

I keep seeing all of your avatars of Jackson. Why does a guy going on 31 still dress like he's 16?

I have no idea what you're talking about. :D

NuffSaid
07-08-2008, 11:45 PM
It seems like it but Baron hasn't signed anything yet so he could always pull a Boozer

Yes Philly is a better team in the East now.

Especially if Josh Smith signs with them also instead of staying with the Hawks.

On another note LMAO @ the Warriors, I can't wait to see how "Captain Jack" handles being the man and how quickly those fans who threw it in our face turn on them. I hope Jack and Al rot there for the remainder of their basketball careers and nelly is chewing them out every step of the way. I'd LOVE to see jack try and cuss out nelly like he did rick. Sweet sweet karma :D
I wasn't going to say anything, but you echo my sentiments.

CableKC
07-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Wow....Maggette is not worth 10 mil a year. Geez.....that's stupid. Talk about overreacting to Baron leaving and Brand going elsewhere. Maggette is a better version of Marquis....that can't defend and isn't good at hitting 3pt shots.

I would have much rather offered a simliar deal to Josh Smith and Emeka Okafor ( if he is an option ) to build a foundation along with Monta and Biedrins.

d_c
07-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Wow....Maggette is not worth 10 mil a year. Geez.....that's stupid. Talk about overreacting to Baron leaving and Brand going elsewhere. Maggette is a better version of Marquis....that can't defend and isn't good at hitting 3pt shots.

I would have much rather offered a simliar deal to Josh Smith and Emeka Okafor ( if he is an option ) to build a foundation along with Monta and Biedrins.

If that number is true for Maggette, that's just disastrous. Even if it's less than that, it's still a total hack job by Mullin, trading Baron for Maggette and whatever else the difference in salary nets.

Bottom line is if they were never intent on re-signing Baron, they should have traded him long ago. Could have done a lot better than what they did.
Just a total hack job by Mullin. He's just not cut out to be the guy in charge, sad to say.

Justin Tyme
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
He's just not cut out to be the guy in charge, sad to say.

It looked like he had turned the corner with the GS/Indy trade, and I felt he was GM of the year for unloading Murphy and Dunleavy with their albatross contracts. He must have gotten lonely for another albatross contract, or Walsh rubbed too much off on him.

The 10 mil a year isn't too bad, but the 5 year length of the contract is terrible. 3 years would have been fine. IIRC, he gave Murphy and Dunleavy 5 year contracts too. He obviously isn't learning from past mistakes!

Doddage
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
What a royal waste of Mullin's efforts to repair the Warriors' cap situation. I'm not complaining about it, though.

DGPR
07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Baron Davis for Corey Maggette seems fair right? RIGHT?? 5 years down the road Mullin will be laughing at us all when he has a $10 million expiring contract, and he is able to land a guy like Michael Beasley or Derrick Rose. He's obviously thinking ahead.

DgR
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Wow, can't believe that about Brand but then again I care little to not at all about any other team than the pacers so this could have been glaringly obvious to other people that Brand was heading to Philly.

Exactly.

Plus, at this point in time- looking back on the GS trade it seems we didn't get fleeced at all. Maybe did a little fleecing of our own....:)

Jack, Al & Cabbage for Dun, Murph & JJack doesn't seem too bad right about now.

Unclebuck
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
If you believe these reports - that are rather widespread - appears Brand pulled a Boozer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AlV7hrZGxkJFs2ACrrS2R2DTjdIF?slug=aw-brandfalk070908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&print=1

Falk’s hands all over Brand’s move to Philly
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
4 hours, 33 minutes ago

Printable View
Return to Original Buzz Up Print
Los Angeles Clippers forwards …

AFP - Jul 1, 3:12 pm EDT NBA Gallery
More From Adrian WojnarowskiBrand ready to trade coasts Jul 8, 2008 Sixers hope to clear cap room for Brand Jul 8, 2008

Once Mike Dunleavy pushed past David Falk and reached out to Elton Brand, appealed to his star’s sensibilities and sentimentality for his Clippers’ home, the belief was that the most cunning and cutthroat agent of them all decided to treat this end-around as an act of treason.

Negotiations had stalled, management had grown uneasy, fearful of Falk’s influence and the Clips coach brought the franchise’s case directly to Brand. After all these years, the most famous agent of all was back in the game, back on the big stage, back with basketball waiting on his next move.

“From that point on,” one NBA GM said, “Falk was going to do everything he could to screw the Clippers.”

Along the way, too, everyone else could see what was happening here: The Bald Eagle was emboldened again. Falk was empowered. He was alive again, and the Clippers were done. As it turned out, he didn’t just screw the Clippers. Falk drilled them.

This was the ultimate retro week, with the promise of basketball’s longest-suffering franchise flushed when Falk hustled Brand into a five-year, $82 million contract with the Philadelphia 76ers. Yes, the Sixers have an intriguing young nucleus, a city near his New York home and the welcoming arms of a franchise that went to great lengths to clear cap space for him.

Maybe returning East was always in Brand’s heart, but it was never believed to be in his plans. Only now, Brand has gone to Philly, and the Clippers franchise, even with Baron Davis, has taken an irrevocable step backward. Such a beloved figure, Brand had been Clippers professionalism where there had been none. First to practice, a gentleman to all, the Clips are losing so much more than a guaranteed 20-and-10 every night.

Brand is a grown-up, responsible for his own choices, but Falk will forever be framed as the reason everything fell apart there.

Around the NBA, executives are still asking the same question: Did the Clippers and Brand have a prearranged deal that the power forward turned his back on? No one will ever admit it, but there was an understanding within the Clippers that the opt-out would allow them to bring back Brand and Davis together.

Several executives still believed, in the words of one Eastern Conference GM, that “Brand had pulled a Boozer.” Translated: Brand backed out of a preordained deal, which could explain why the Clippers were so stubborn about elevating the original $70 million offer that they made him in the wake of the opt-out.

Within this week, Falk had been privately griping that Brand had been angered with what the agent termed a “take-it-or-leave-it” offer. Falk grumbled that the Clips had left no room to negotiate, no discussion about closing the gap on the $90 million Golden State offer.

So, Falk started to tell Sixers GM Ed Stefanski: Go get more cap space. This could happen. Get more. So, Stefanski unloaded two contracts, cleared $2 million and stopped thinking that Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith was his No. 1 priority.

After Thursday, the Clippers had no more contact with Brand. All along, everything has to go through Falk. Now, there was a price to pay for the Clips. And now, they were terrified. Falk as a filter to Brand felt like a doomsday scenario. When the agent himself became sluggish about returning the Clippers’ calls in the final hours, the franchise feared the worst. They were getting Falked.

Owner Donald Sterling was willing to renounce several players to nearly match the Sixers’ $82 million offer, but the Clips could never be sure that Falk ever presented Brand with the information. Soon, Brand was gone to Philadelphia, Corey Maggette had grabbed $50 million in Golden State and David Falk had returned to orchestrate a July power play out of his old playbook.

“Once they let Brand opt out, they had to know that Falk would come back and bite them in the ***,” one GM said. “Did they think he wasn’t going to turn this into some kind of a drama? He was dying to get back into the spotlight here, to get himself a lot of attention again.”

Back in the ’80s and ’90s, Falk was shoulder to shoulder with David Stern as the most powerful suit in the sport. Michael Jordan was his calling card, the front man for a stable of clients that included Patrick Ewing, Alonzo Mourning and James Worthy. He was a ubiquitous public presence, the de facto president of the players’ union and a man every league executive feared, if crossed, could run him right out of a job.

Falk made hundreds of millions of dollars, left the business, but returned in the past couple of years because he missed the action. Until now, his return had mostly been marked with tiresome public proclamations about how the agent business had gone to hell in his absence.

Around the league, executives and agents are tired of Falk’s hypocritical rants about the ethics of the current crop, about how players are bought up so young, how alliances with AAU programs and street peddlers reached down into high school to procure players.

Falk had his own middle men, except they wore suits and had been declared educators. Yet, he was going to get those Georgetown and North Carolina stars, because John Thompson and Dean Smith said so. Now, the next generation get lectures on how corrupt it all is, and it’s a load of garbage.

The world no longer bows before Falk, the clients no longer rush to him. John Thompson is gone, but his son, John Thompson III, has honored the family tradition of pushing future Hoya pros to Falk. In the past two drafts, Falk has represented Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert and Patrick Ewing Jr. This spring, front-office executives dreaded his calls endlessly pitching Hibbert as a guaranteed lottery pick (17th to Indiana) and Ewing Jr., as a late first-rounder (43rd to Sacramento). They understand that an agent selling his prospects on teams is part of the job, but they can call do without the endless soliloquies on the good old days in the NBA, when it was run righteously: Under his rule.

When told Falk was working on a memoir, one league executive said, “I think I’ve already heard the audio book.”

Another said, “I honestly had my speaker phone on mute as he was talking so he couldn’t hear me taking other calls on my cell phone.”

This time, David Falk has the last laugh. No more going on and on about the old days, he was back in business, back on the big stage. Once more, basketball had to pay heed to the agent who changed everything, who just never, ever goes away. Pity those poor Clippers on Elton Brand’s way out the door, on crossing the most ruthless agent of all. Falked again.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports. Send Adrian a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
SendEmail

MyFavMartin
07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Do the Clips go after Josh Smith now?

rexnom
07-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Have two teams ever been so screwed in one week as the Warriors and Clippers?

2minutes twowa
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Do the Clips go after Josh Smith now?

I would think Brand signing with Philly will end up being a big payday for Smith. Both LA and GS are scrambling to save their image. Of course with Mullin already signing Maggette for $50 million:crazy: Clips would be in the drivers seat for Smith.

Speed
07-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Great find Buck!!

Um, Falk is Hibberts agent?

I'm glad there is a rookie scale, but be prepared that
Falk will ask for the moon in 4 years if Hibbert is panning out.

Hicks
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Uh-oh. This guy represent Roy Hibbert. ****.

Anthem
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
“Once they let Brand opt out, they had to know that Falk would come back and bite them in the ***,” one GM said. “Did they think he wasn’t going to turn this into some kind of a drama? He was dying to get back into the spotlight here, to get himself a lot of attention again.”
It's a player option, right? What's with this "let" stuff?

Hicks
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
It's a player option, right? What's with this "let" stuff?

Probably the same as "letting" a girlfriend walk away. You don't literally unchain her from the wall (unless you're btown), but you feel like you could have tried harder to say the right things to make her not want to go.

2minutes twowa
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Probably the same as "letting" a girlfriend walk away. You don't literally unchain her from the wall (unless you're btown), but you feel like you could have tried harder to say the right things to make her not want to go.

Damn right! I ain't unchaining the ***** no matter what!:D

pacergod2
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I would give up just about anything for josh smith:

i would s & t him for about 14M per year over 5.... give him 70M and lock up our sf and pf positions with he and granger for the next 5 years.

josh smith

for

2009 First Rounder
Shawne Williams
Troy Murphy

or

2010 Second Rounder
Mike Dunleavy
Marquis Daniels

Speed
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM
all that has happened is that two Western Conference teams have gotten weaker and an Eastern Conference team that competes against the Pacers has gotten stronger.

All you've done today is weaken a Conference, Falk.....

rexnom
07-09-2008, 11:35 AM

i would s & t him for about 14M per year over 5.... give him 70M and lock up our sf and pf positions with he and granger for the next 5 years.

josh smith

for

2009 First Rounder
Shawne Williams
Troy Murphy

or

2010 Second Rounder
Mike Dunleavy
Marquis Daniels
I'm good. I like Smith but he has an attitude problem.

Unclebuck
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Where is Brand originally from??

Seems strange reading about the evil Falk again - I had forgotten all about him. I remember Krause and Falk had a nice feud going back in the day

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Great find Buck!!

Um, Falk is Hibberts agent?

I'm glad there is a rookie scale, but be prepared that
Falk will ask for the moon in 4 years if Hibbert is panning out.

Hopefully Hibbert finds a new agent in 4 years.

naptownmenace
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I think the Warriors bashing has gone too far. Plus, I think they're better off without Davis anyways. Monta Ellis better learn how to point guard though.

As someone who watched them play about 20 times last year, I totally disagree. Baron was by far their best player. He was Magic while Ellis was Byron Scott.

The Warriors will suck majorly this year - just like they sucked before BDiddy got there.

count55
07-09-2008, 12:20 PM

josh smith

for

2009 First Rounder
Shawne Williams
Troy Murphy

or

2010 Second Rounder
Mike Dunleavy
Marquis Daniels

I wonder if this was the same reasoning Mully had when he signed Junior and T-Murda to those contracts.

naptownmenace
07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
all that has happened is that two Western Conference teams have gotten weaker and an Eastern Conference team that competes against the Pacers has gotten stronger.

All you've done today is weaken a Conference, Falk.....

And made a nice commision of course! ;)

count55
07-09-2008, 12:23 PM
As someone who watched them play about 20 times last year, I totally disagree. Baron was by far their best player. He was Magic while Ellis was Byron Scott.

The Warriors will suck majorly this year - just like they sucked before BDiddy got there.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "suck majorly", but they've taken a serious hit. It's hard to see them even sniffing at the playoffs in a very tough Western Conference. Their adds are less than their subtracts.

Jonathan
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
They were a playoff team last year.

With this move I think they are better than Toronto with Jermaine. Much more depth and versatility. It may be going out on a limb, but I think they may now be better than Detroit too. They gave the Pistons a hell of a fight last year in the playoffs, and they have now added exactly the type of player that would have put them over the top against the Pistons.

The whole thing is this Isaac
Remember the Pacers vs Knicks, It will take the Sixers a little more than Elton Brand to get past Detroit this year. Yes he is an excellent player but Detroit is an excellent team. In 2009-2010, I would not be suprised if Philly houses Detroit.

JayRedd
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Uh-oh. This guy represent Roy Hibbert. ****.

We're fine for at least four years.

Where is Brand originally from??

Peekskill, NY.

It's about a half hour north of the city.

Hicks
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM

I'm not worried about today. I'm worried about 2012.

d_c
07-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Exactly.

Plus, at this point in time- looking back on the GS trade it seems we didn't get fleeced at all. Maybe did a little fleecing of our own....:)

Jack, Al & Cabbage for Dun, Murph & JJack doesn't seem too bad right about now.

The big trade with Indy has already served it's purpose for the Warriors: They made the playoffs and they got shorter contracts. You didn't think two players of Jackson/Harrington's abilities and age were really going to be long term solutions worth building around, do you? The trade helped them make the playoffs in the short term and gave them financial relief in the long term.

If the Warriors didn't make that trade, right now they'd be on course to break the Clippers record for consecutive years of missing the playoffs while still being on the hook for Murphleavy's bigger/longer contracts. As a Warrior fan, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of the trade.

That was probably the best move Mullin made. Too bad he followed it up by trading Baron for Maggette and Turiaf.

Isaac
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
The whole thing is this Isaac
Remember the Pacers vs Knicks, It will take the Sixers a little more than Elton Brand to get past Detroit this year. Yes he is an excellent player but Detroit is an excellent team. In 2009-2010, I would not be suprised if Philly houses Detroit.

I think with Thaddeus Young and Louis Williams continuing to improve, a healthy Elton Brand and another young energetic player in Speights Philly is already better than Detroit. I know one thing for sure, they would have beaten Detroit in last years playoffs if they had Elton.

Let's not forget that Detroit could look different next year too though. They are likely exploring trade options with Rasheed, Prince and Rip Hamilton to try and make a move for a low post player.

LoneGranger33
07-09-2008, 08:06 PM

Peekskill, NY.

It's about a half hour north of the city.

Peakskill? That's unfortunate.

Mourning
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
For once you can believe an athlete when he says it's not about the money. In Elton Brand's case, it was about the timing of the money.

In the end, he took what appears to be the smallest offer he had available. In the process, he has taken a cyberspace beating from Clippers fans who are seething that Brand left Los Angeles to sign a five-year, $79.8 million contract with the Philadelphia 76ers and abandoned their dream duo with Baron Davis before it could even get started.

Whenever things go wrong these days our first instinct is to find someone to blame.

The Clippers could have made Brand's decision for him by dazzling him with the right combination of opportunity and finances, taking away his incentive to look elsewhere. But technically, Brand is the one who is responsible because he made the choice to depart, even if it meant leaving a more lucrative offer and a talented roster behind.

That's why, after hearing from agent David Falk and Clippers president Andy Roeser, I had to get Brand's explanation for how he wound up in the unaccustomed role as villain.

"I feel like Hulk Hogan when he went to the bad side or something," Brand wrote in a text message Wednesday night. "Hollywood Hogan. It was a negotiation that fell [through]. That wasn't my intent, but it didn't work out.

"Sometimes enough is enough. … I shouldn't have to go get an outside offer to make the same money."

Fans scream about loyalty, but they're speaking in a different language. In the NBA, loyalty is spelled with lots of zeroes and a couple of commas.

But the Clippers have never been proactive when it came to rewarding Brand. They let the Miami Heat dictate the market in 2003 when Brand -- a restricted free agent at the time -- signed a six-year, $82 million offer sheet that the Clippers matched.

Loyalty should go both ways. Look at what the Washington Wizards did with Gilbert Arenas. Like Brand, Arenas missed most of the season with an injury, then opted out of his contract. The Wizards offered Arenas the maximum amount -- $127 million over six years -- then let him negotiate downward to $111 with the understanding that the lower salary would give the Wizards more roster flexibility.

Falk said the Clippers blew it this time when they lowballed Brand with a $70 million contract out of the gate and presented it as a take-it-or-leave it offer. In their comments to ESPN.com on June 30, when Brand announced he was opting out of the final year of his contract with the Clippers, Brand and Falk painted it as magnanimous gesture, saying Brand would take less money if it would help the Clippers sign another free agent. The Clippers, as Flo Rida would say, got low-low low-low-low-low-low-low.

In classic Falk-speak, the agent said Brand "was willing to take less money, but not as less as they offered."

He said, "They just squeezed him too hard. They thought he had no place to go and they squeezed him right out of town."

Falk said he gave the Clippers a warning before the free agency period began and was stunned by their response. Working with his estimate at the time that the 76ers could make a $75 million offer to Brand, Falk said he asked, "'If I told you right now we were going to opt out and go to Philadelphia, what would you say?' An executive on the team said, 'I would tell you, go to Philadelphia.'"

The Clippers underestimated the marketplace and -- to borrow one of my all-time favorite Pat Riley phrases -- they underestimated the extent of Falk's animus. The Clippers didn't exactly have a stack of goodwill chips on the table with Falk to start with. When Brand signed the offer sheet with Miami in 2003, Falk bellowed as loudly as he could to try to scare the Clippers away from matching it. They went against his wishes and re-signed his client.

This time, Falk was telling the world Brand wanted to re-sign … but the landscape quickly turned when the Golden State Warriors reacted to Davis' departure by offering $90 million to Brand.

Roeser said the Clippers came in with one strategy, then made the necessary adjustments when the game changed.

"We came up with a plan to basically give Elton $70 million and Baron $65 million," Roeser said. "We were given to understand that that was workable. After we were given to understand it wasn't, we tried to make a better offer."

Falk said the Clippers "gave us an ultimatum and told us to take it or leave it."

But can it really be called an ultimatum when the Clippers showed a willingness to negotiate? Wouldn't that just be called an initial offer? These things happen at the negotiating table.

I asked Falk whatever happened to "it's not over 'til it's over."

He responded: "It's over when you tell a franchise player the offer is take-it-or-leave-it."

Again, in the NBA the only soothing sounds are financial lullabies, so the Clippers tried to rectify Brand's hurt feelings with larger contracts.

"When it became clear they were more interested in more money, we increased the offer to $75 million," Roeser said. "When it became clear they were looking for most they can get, we ended up offering $81 million. They ended up [signing for] $79.8 million.

"Bottom line, the player has a right to choose where he wants to go in this process. At the end of the day we've got to accept that's the decision that he made and he moved forward."

So the Clippers are taking the $12 million in salary cap space they have left and are moving on to other power forwards, starting with Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith.

But the Brand-Clippers split is too ugly to leave on its own. The Clippers believe Falk didn't give them access to Brand to pitch him directly. Brand says the Clippers didn't give him a chance to talk to Clippers owner Donald Sterling, and that their $81 million offer came only after he had agreed to terms with the Sixers. Falk said the Clippers never played their hole card: the sixth year they could have added on to their offer.

Those are all the ugly details, the stuff the fans don't want to hear about.

Or, as Roeser said, "This is the NBA. It's just part of the business."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Brand-Clippers-080710

Source: ESPN.com

I can't blame Brand one bit. I remember when he wanted to go to Miami and at a late moment the Clippers matched the Heat's offer and I also remember the Brand camp beying quite vocal about wanting to go to Miami and not come back to Clipperland, so this all doesn't surprise me. Then the Clippers are KNOWN for stuff like this, so I think it's actually good they fell flat on their face here.

:cheers: for Brand.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: