PDA

View Full Version : Jack and Nesterovich

pianoman
07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
A lot of the hype is on Rush, Hibbert, and TJ Ford, but not as much has been said about Jack and Nesterovich. I just want to get your opinions on the two. Is it possible that rasho comes in here and Starts? What about Jack? Would he play the 2 at all? How do you think these 2 fit in our system?

Unclebuck
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
here is a thread on Jack from just after the draft

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=39924

I thought there was a thread on Rasho, but maybe not, I couldn't find it.

Rasho is a skilled big man who is a pretty good team defender. He can pass and shoot facing up to about 16 ft, and does have a few low post moves.

Hicks
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I'm slightly excited about Jack because it is my understanding that he could be a starter on a basement team, so to have him as a backup is a good thing.

Rasho just fell off my radar completely after he left the Spurs, so my memories of him are few and far between.

2minutes twowa
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
As I said when the trade first went down, Nesterovich is a veteran skilled 7 footer. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him start because of his years of experience. He was great in Minnesota, but was overhyped and overpaid when he signed with the Spurs. I think he's still a solid player, but never lived up to his salary. Sound familiar? (Dunleavy, Croshere, Murphy...) Everyone knows this will probably be his one and only season with the Pacers, but he is a decent player.

Jack (along with Ford) give the Pacers a solid PG rotation for the first time since Mark Jackson and Travis Best. He's good at a lot of things, but not great at any one thing. He is a back-up, and more importantly, he understands that he's a back-up. He could be used at the 2 in a small-ball situation, but I don't see him playing much time there.

If anything, these two players strengthen the bench and bring veteran experience.

Putnam
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Nesterovich is an improvement on David Harrison as a back-up center for this coming season. We will almost certainly trade him or let him expire, so he doesn't figure into the future. Consequently, I hope he doesn't play too large a role, lest he take minutes away from Hibbert. Nesterovich is probably good enough to play a lot of minutes on this team, but I hope he won't.

Jack is a fine player, and will get more than just back-up minutes. I think we'll see him playing a lot of time at point guard this year and beyond.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd expect to see Rasho starting come fall. Jack will be on the bench, but ahead of Travis.

Isaac
07-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Rasho will be our starting center without a doubt. If Hibbert is starting at any point this year its because Roy earned it, because Rasho will be solid and consistent.

A lot of people might cringe at the idea of Jeff and Rasho playing on the floor at the same time, but I like it. That is a very good defensive front court that will really rebound the ball and play a good supporting role to T.J., Danny, Dun, Rush and Williams offensively.

Speed
07-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Jack is being underestimated I think. He'll be a Jeff Foster of the backcourt.

You will rarely hear Jarret Jack without the preface of Fan Favorite, IMHO.

I think on how hard he works and how hard he plays he'll be one of those greater than his numbers type players.

He's an excellent pick up. I don't think they will be able to keep him off the floor.

Ownagedood
07-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Ya, Rasho will start, but that's not because he's amazing, he's just the best real big we have..

Im not sure about jack..

Unclebuck
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Jack is being underestimated I think. He'll be a Jeff Foster of the backcourt.

You will rarely hear Jarret Jack without the preface of Fan Favorite, IMHO.

I think on how hard he works and how hard he plays he'll be one of those greater than his numbers type players.

He's an excellent pick up. I don't think they will be able to keep him off the floor.

I tend to agree, but I'm always a little cautious, because I never really know a player until he puts on a Pacers uniform

2minutes twowa
07-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Rasho will be our starting center without a doubt. If Hibbert is starting at any point this year its because Roy earned it, because Rasho will be solid and consistent.

A lot of people might cringe at the idea of Jeff and Rasho playing on the floor at the same time, but I like it. That is a very good defensive front court that will really rebound the ball and play a good supporting role to T.J., Danny, Dun, Rush and Williams offensively.

I agree. With the scoring power of TJ, Mike and Danny, you can afford to have Foster and Rasho focus on D and RBs.

Putnam
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Rasho will be our starting center without a doubt. If Hibbert is starting at any point this year its because Roy earned it, because Rasho will be solid and consistent. .

So.... we're going to sacrifice the future in order to go all out for that 39-win season and the 7th playoff spot this year?

Maybe it makes sense to play Nesterovich. Maybe he's good enough to start for us at center. But I don't think Nesterovich is good enough that we resign him a year from now. Does anyone?

Unclebuck
07-08-2008, 03:52 PM
So.... we're going to sacrifice the future in order to go all out for that 39-win season and the 7th playoff spot this year?

Maybe it makes sense to play Nesterovich. Maybe he's good enough to start for us at center. But I don't think Nesterovich is good enough that we resign him a year from now. Does anyone?

He might be, depends on how much money he wants

2minutes twowa
07-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Highly doubt it. He is an expiring contract with the added bonus of being a decent center. Not the other way around.

Tom White
07-08-2008, 04:04 PM

I really don't think of it as a sacrifice of the future. Do you really want to throw Hibbert to the wolves right off the bat. I think Hibbert is going to benefit by coming off the bench, as well as having to compete against Foster and Rasho every day.

2minutes twowa
07-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Earning your playing time is a good lesson to learn early. I believe it's in the Bible: JOB 3:16:D

Jonathan
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Rasho put up big numbers towards the end of last season. I think he will be very good for our organization. Easy double/double guy every night.

Since86
07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Earning your playing time is a good lesson to learn early. I believe it's in the Bible: JOB 3:16:D

Just out of curiousity, I looked up that particular passage and came up with this.

Or like a miscarriage which is discarded, I would not be, As infants that never saw light.

MagicRat
07-08-2008, 04:24 PM
A little thread about Jack and Rasho
Two NBA pros playin' hoops at Conseco
Jackie's gonna be a backup point guard
Rasho's playing center now that Jermaine has gone far...........:guitar:

QuickRelease
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM

I'd have no problem resigning him to a much lower contract for bench support once Hibbert develops. I don't think playing Rasho next year is sacrificing the future. I think it would benefit him greatly to have a solid vetran aboard, to let him come along at his own pace, rather than force feeding him, and possibly shaking his confidence. As I recall, that's a mistake IT made, when he just gift wrapped the starting job and handed it to Jamaal. I believe that, in part, established a sense of entitlement to the starting job in his eyes. Hibbert will have to earn it, which I think is a good thing.

esabyrn333
07-08-2008, 04:26 PM
What I think everyone needs to understand is that Jeff and Troy have always been PF's playing C. Now that we have Rasho and Roy and JO is gone Troy will start at PF and Jeff will back him up or vice versa more than likely Rasho will start at Center with Roy backing him up. This is much more balanced and will help our D interior D out greatly.

MyFavMartin
07-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Rasho put up big numbers towards the end of last season. I think he will be very good for our organization. Easy double/double guy every night.

He was playing next to Bosh....

Doubt he will get the same looks next to Foster or Murphy.

ABADays
07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
After the last 5 years has there ever been two guys so completely in a win-win situation?

aceace
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
There are so many factors right now that need to be decided and won't be until October. Jack and Rasho will both play but I think our team will be quite different. I believe even after these 2 deals we may see another couple moves. We have 16 contracts right now
(counting Hibbert & Rush).

I just feel that Diener didn't live up to the big expectations that JOB and Bird had for him (mainly shooting percentage). Look for him to be traded and Earl Calloway signed.

SoupIsGood
07-08-2008, 04:38 PM

If Rasho is starting at center, there will still be plenty of time for Roy as the backup, if he earns it. 24 minutes a game will be about the max amount of time we want Rasho playing, and I'll be surprised if in his first year Roy is ready to play anything over 20 minutes a game.

Jonathan
07-08-2008, 04:58 PM
He was playing next to Bosh....

Doubt he will get the same looks next to Foster or Murphy.

He had a wonderful Stretch in March when Bosh was out with a knee injury. When Bosh was healthy; he did not play much. I think he will easily get 10 plus rebounds and ten plus points a night; If we give him 20 Minutes. The East is weak at C and he will fill the void for the time being. Also beware of players in a contract season.

CableKC
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
I'd have no problem resigning him to a much lower contract for bench support once Hibbert develops. I don't think playing Rasho next year is sacrificing the future. I think it would benefit him greatly to have a solid vetran aboard, to let him come along at his own pace, rather than force feeding him, and possibly shaking his confidence. As I recall, that's a mistake IT made, when he just gift wrapped the starting job and handed it to Jamaal. I believe that, in part, established a sense of entitlement to the starting job in his eyes. Hibbert will have to earn it, which I think is a good thing.
I agree on this part....although Hibbert is the most NBA ready Center coming out of the Draft....I want him to earn whatever minutes that he gets...something that we are sure that JO'B will enforce. I am hoping that Roy's work ethic and defense is good enough to earn him a consistent 10-15 minutes a game. Same goes for Brandon.

This should give them enough minutes for them to develop in their rookie season and adapt so that they can ( hopefully ) take over a Starting spot at their respective positions sometime by the end of next season.

However...unless it becomes painfully obvious that Roy is clearly outplaying Rasho and Foster in his rookie season ( which I doubt but can hope for ), as long as he is able to average 10-15 minutes a game on a consistent basis......then I will be satisfied.

Although I hope that they can be Starters by the end of their Rookie season.....I realistically expect that they will be rotational players playing garbage minutes behind the likes of Granger/Dunleavy/(maybe) Shawne and Murphy/Rasho/Foster.

AesopRockOn
07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Jack will be starting by the end of the season.

We're kind of stuck with Rasho this season because, Hibbert won't be playing significant minutes till his fourth year in the league.

QuickRelease
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Jack will be starting by the end of the season.

We're kind of stuck with Rasho this season because, Hibbert won't be playing significant minutes till his fourth year in the league.

How do you figure Jack will be starting by season's end? Are you forecasting Ford not finishing the year? And 4 years before significant contribution from Hibbert? I doubt it takes that long. Bird took him primarily because he'd be able to contribute right away. It's not like he was the rawest player coming into the draft. I would expect that kind of timeline for players like McGee and DeAndre Jordan.

Kid Minneapolis
07-08-2008, 06:43 PM

39 wins is all you're predicting, eh? I think you'll be surprised.

Isaac
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM
What I think everyone needs to understand is that Jeff and Troy have always been PF's playing C. Now that we have Rasho and Roy and JO is gone Troy will start at PF and Jeff will back him up or vice versa more than likely Rasho will start at Center with Roy backing him up. This is much more balanced and will help our D interior D out greatly.

:amen:

This is really the biggest thing. We now have two true centers, where as David Harrison was our closest thing to a true Center the last couple years.

Jeff has always been most effective when he plays the 4, and Murphy is obviously not a Center.

CableKC
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
:amen:

This is really the biggest thing. We now have two true centers, where as David Harrison was our closest thing to a true Center the last couple years.

Jeff has always been most effective when he plays the 4, and Murphy is obviously not a Center.
Reading TBird's analysis of Roy....he seems to be a very good Center that is good at boxing players out...thus allowing more aggressing Rebounding players to grab rebounds.

I really hope that what Tbird said is true....I can only imagine how many 2nd chance opportunities that we get with a Roy/Foster frontcourt I wouldn't be surprised if Foster is one of the top Offensive Rebounders in the league next season.

Roy Munson
07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Jack can play either guard position, and did so often while in Portland. Most fourth quarters saw Portland use Brandon Roy at the point, with either Jack or Steve Blake playing the other guard position.

It's conceivable that the Pacers would employ a small lineup from time to time of Ford, Jack, Dunleavy, Granger and a 5. That lineup would not surprise me one bit. There's nothing wrong with putting your best five players on the floor at the same time.

Rajah Brown
07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Roy-

I doubt that JJ shoots it well enough or consistently enough from deep
to play much (if at all) at SG in O'B's system.

What I'm looking forward to most is his physicality at PG on the
defensive end. The dude's 'delts' probably weigh more combined
than Diener does in his entirety, soaking wet !

Isaac
07-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Reading TBird's analysis of Roy....he seems to be a very good Center that is good at boxing players out...thus allowing more aggressing Rebounding players to grab rebounds.

I really hope that what Tbird said is true....I can only imagine how many 2nd chance opportunities that we get with a Roy/Foster frontcourt I wouldn't be surprised if Foster is one of the top Offensive Rebounders in the league next season.

I agree with that. I've seen him seal off multiple players at a time while at Georgetown on a regular basis.

Don't forget that Murphy is also a good rebounder in a swoop-in type of way also. I think we will be one of the top rebounding teams in the NBA next year. Combine that with the explosive offense we demonstrated last year and a solid point guard rotation and we could be a very surprising team.

Our biggest achilles heal last year (other than perimiter defense) was allowing offensive rebounds because we would routinely get out muscled by other teams bigs. I don't see that happening anymore.

[/sunshine]

NuffSaid
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING!

Someone finally figured it out. :happydanc:dance: