PDA

View Full Version : I Just Had Thought Regarding The Pistons and Brown...

Bball
06-14-2004, 05:26 PM
If the Pistons do win the championship would Larry Brown retire? Has anyone approached him about this yet?

-Bball

sweabs
06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Personally, I don't think he will.

L.B. loves this Pistons team (what coach wouldn't?) and I think he is in this for the long haul. This was just a nice beginning to a long story I think.

Hicks
06-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Nah, he needs to get a good 4 years there before he wants out. :D

Kstat
06-14-2004, 05:29 PM
I don't think so, Larry has waited his whole LIFE to coach a team like this. I think as long as the team remained intact, he'd LOVE to continue coaching them. He's signed through 2008, and he really loves his job.

That said, if Larry decided to retire, or even leave to go elsewhere (which I dont see happening), I'd let him go with a smile. If we win it all, then Larry has already done the job he was asked to do.

Hicks
06-14-2004, 05:30 PM
He'll leave by 2007. Just throwin' out a prediction.

Bball
06-14-2004, 05:35 PM
I don't think so, Larry has waited his whole LIFE to coach a team like this. I think as long as the team remained intact, he'd LOVE to continue coaching them. He's signed through 2008, and he really loves his job.

That said, if Larry decided to retire, or even leave to go elsewhere (which I dont see happening), I'd let him go with a smile. If we win it all, then Larry has already done the job he was asked to do.

He may be mad that he isn't announced:
Llllllllllllllllarry B B B BROWN!!!!!!"

;)

-Bball "Let's play some basketball"

EDIT-Spelling fixed-

TheSauceMaster
06-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Long as he has a chance to win a Ring , he will be around and back next year ;)

Kstat
06-14-2004, 05:37 PM

He may be mad that he isn't ancounced:
Llllllllllllllllarry B B B BROWN!!!!!!"

;)

-Bball "Let's play some basketball"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love Mason. If nothing else, he breaks the mold of typical bland PA guys, and is willing to try new things.

I hope we keep him.

bulletproof
06-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Larry will spend the next 4 years trying to recapture the magic and get back to the finals...then retire.

indygeezer
06-14-2004, 05:50 PM
I don't believe I'm saying this:

Somebody like Mason is what this franchise needs to get the fans REALLY rowdy. Yeah we get loud at times...but unfortunately we bought into the Laker Fan stoic mentality of "oh we don't wanna appear rabid until it really MEANS something". I think part of that may be Bird's fault from back when he was coaching and telling the players to NOT show the emotions but to wait and be "Professional" about the games. Kinda infiltrated the fandom too. Unfortunately, anything we do now would be seen as "copycatting" the Pistons.

Kstat
06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Somebody like Mason is what this franchise needs to get the fans REALLY rowdy. Yeah we get loud at times...

Last I checked most of you geezers never wanted to hear mason again.....something about "Indiana doesn't need gimmicks like him" or something along those lines.....

Unfortunately, anything we do now would be seen as "copycatting" the Pistons.
FUnny, you didnt seem to have an issue with the ahrd hats, work whistle or "going to work" themes..... :D

PacerStud
06-14-2004, 06:30 PM
I think he is in this for the long haul.
That's what we thought about him.

That's what Philly thought about him.

That's what ............... well, you get the idea.

You'll love him, he'll love you, you'll love the team, the team will love him - it'll be a love-fest for a few years - UNTIL he wakes up one morning and says: "Hey honey, you know what ??"

And then the honeymoon is over. Happens everywhere he's been so far. Enjoy him while you can.

Kstat
06-14-2004, 06:33 PM
I think he is in this for the long haul.
That's what we thought about him.

That's what Philly thought about him.

That's what ............... well, you get the idea.

You'll love him, he'll love you, you'll love the team, the team will love him - it'll be a love-fest for a few years - UNTIL he wakes up one morning and says: "Hey honey, you know what ??"

And then the honeymoon is over. Happens everywhere he's been so far. Enjoy him while you can.

Philly had him for 7 years. Indiana had him for 5.

If the Pistons can have him for 4, i'll be ecstatic. Though frankly, if he delivers me a championship, he can do whatever he pleases.

Bball
06-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Philly had him for 7 years. Indiana had him for 5.

If the Pistons can have him for 4, i'll be ecstatic. Though frankly, if he delivers me a championship, he can do whatever he pleases.

Indiana 5?

93-94
94-95
95-96
B B B B Brown

97-98
98-99
99-2000
B B B B Bird

B B B B Bball

Kstat
06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Actually it was indiana 4 and Philly 6. I went off memory, but whatever. My statement stands.

Bball
06-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Actually it was indiana 4 and Philly 6. I went off memory, but whatever. My statement stands.

We try to forget 96-97 :mad:

;)

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-14-2004, 11:50 PM

We try to forget 96-97 :mad:

;)

-Bball

thanks.

wintermute
06-14-2004, 11:58 PM
FUnny, you didnt seem to have an issue with the ahrd hats, work whistle or "going to work" themes..... :D

you know, the pistons style will be greatly in vogue now. i'll bet lots of teams will be trying to duplicate the all-effort, no stars philosophy detroit has.

Kstat
06-14-2004, 11:59 PM

you know, the pistons style will be greatly in vogue now. i'll bet lots of teams will be trying to duplicate the all-effort, no stars philosophy detroit has.

I wish the NBA started doing that a decade ago, back when teams tried to duplicate Chicago and Houston's, "1-2 scorers and a bunch of spot-up shooters/junk players"

Suaveness
06-15-2004, 09:57 AM

I wish the NBA started doing that a decade ago, back when teams tried to duplicate Chicago and Houston's, "1-2 scorers and a bunch of spot-up shooters/junk players"

Which we now call, The Lakers.

ABADays
06-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Somebody like Mason is what this franchise needs to get the fans REALLY rowdy. Yeah we get loud at times...

Last I checked most of you geezers never wanted to hear mason again.....something about "Indiana doesn't need gimmicks like him" or something along those lines.....

Ahhhhhh, trying to draw a line in the sand huh Kstat?

able
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM

Ahhhhhh, trying to draw a line in the sand huh Kstat?

I must say that I agree, I found it somewhat showing of poor taste to almost exactly copy the theme from the Pistons.
Surely creating something like that can be done professionally in-house with an "own" theme?

I can't imagine no one had the inspiration to draw from and create something more unique to the team and the players.

ChicagoJ
06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
I was very disappointed in the Pacers for that cheap copy-cat effort.

And they really should have used something different for the ECFs, because all the loud-mouthed Piston kids around me just took that and ran with it. And I don't blame them, I would've made the same jokes. I wouldn't have included the 'F' word as often nor screamed it into someone's face, but I think we've covered that ad nauseum. :shrug:

Bball
06-15-2004, 12:59 PM
I was very disappointed in the Pacers for that cheap copy-cat effort.

And they really should have used something different for the ECFs, because all the loud-mouthed Piston kids around me just took that and ran with it. And I don't blame them, I would've made the same jokes. I wouldn't have included the 'F' word as often nor screamed it into someone's face, but I think we've covered that ad nauseum. :shrug:

I'd still lobby for a collage of Indiana basketball moments in quick clips culminating with some clips of the current Pacer players over some driving music.

The idea would be to tie the Pacers to 'Indiana' basketball history. So, you'd have Bobby Plump's Milan shot and some other moments from Indiana college and HS basketball along with some clips of the ABA Pacers and past NBA Pacer moments. All in fast succession.

And I'd use the "In 49 states..... but this is INDIANA" theme.

-Bball

Fool
06-15-2004, 01:00 PM
By the way, I don't think its unreasonable to think Brown might retire after winning a championship (whenever he wins one). Though one year is quick even for him.