PDA

View Full Version : Am I seriously the only one?????

Pig Nash
07-07-2008, 12:40 AM
I can't be the only one who watched the Gentleman's Singles final at Wimbledon today, right? Tell me someone watched this match. Please.

Here's a taste if you didn't:

j8TFdDLVwBU

JayRedd
07-07-2008, 12:47 AM
I almost started this thread like three times.

It was absolutely amazing.

I watch a good amount of tennis, but I really didn't even know Nadal was that good. He could have easily won in three sets the way he was playing (the ridiculous, almost-parallel-to-the-net angles he was putting on shots he was taking from well behind the baseline could not have been governed by the laws of physics), but the ability of Federer to still match him point-for-point even on a day when he was making a lot of unforced errors made this one of the best matches I've ever seen.

You really can't get a closer match. I think the total points won was like 204-200. That's absurd. Wow. Can't wait for the U.S. Open.

Pig Nash
07-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Nadal was just plain stupid good out there. I have never rooted for Federer but Nadal was playing so well I was rooting for Federer to take the fourth set so it would go to the fifth. If Federer had won the second set like he should have, that would have been a totally different match too.

JayRedd
07-07-2008, 12:52 AM
Yeah...I've never really rooted for Mr. Automatic either, but between Nadal grunting like he's playing in the Women's Final on every shot and Federer actually seeming like the underdog for the final three sets, I was openly hoping Roger would pull it out. And he just kept stepping it up in the tiebreakers like a true champion would, so I was getting eager to see if he could continue doing this a few more years and end up winning like 10 in a row.

Kstat
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
wait...tennis has a men's league too?

Pig Nash
07-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I started to figure that Federer's streak was more impressive then the French Wimbledon connection because honestly, is Nadal ever going to lose the French?

I think that would be the most fun thing now, for Federer to go and take the French away next year for the Career Slam.

JayRedd
07-07-2008, 12:55 AM
Being a giant Agassi fan, I'm sorta hoping no one else ever gets the Career Grand Slam.

Pig Nash
07-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I like Agassi too, but Federer is just too good to never win a French. And I think Nadal will eventually get his act together on hard courts.

JayRedd
07-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Pete didn't.

Pig Nash
07-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Nadal ain't Pete. Roger might be.

Shade
07-07-2008, 01:47 AM
wait...tennis has a men's league too?

They often play in Delaware. :-p

grace
07-07-2008, 01:48 AM
I hate to admit I watched the British Grand Prix instead. Normally I'd rather sit and watch paint try than watch an F-1 race, but it rained there which makes for a more interesting race.

Now, had it been 25-30 years ago I would have been watching tennis.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I watched as much as I could, but I missed what was supposedly a classic 4th set tie-breaker.

But I'm a huge tennis fan.

I've always sort of liked Federer more than Nadal, but I really, really wanted Nadal to win that 5th set.

I've always said that if people would actually sit down and watch tennis - give yourself more than 10 or 15 minutes to get into it, there would be a lot of people watching tennis, but if you are just flipping the channels, it doesn't immediately grab you

rexnom
07-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I watched it. It was probably the best match I've seen since I can remember. Rafa was starting to crack and then he somehow pulled himself back together. I think that second rain delay really helped him gather his focus again.

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I watched most of it. Used to play competitive tennis. Obviously not on these guys' level.

Great friggin' match. Surprised myself by ending up rooting for Federer. I think it was McEnroe's Nadal man-crush that finally pushed me in that direction. Up to that point I felt the same for Federer as I have for Tiger Woods and used to for Jordan and Jeff Gordon - The guy's won enough. He's young, good looking, filthy-rich, has a trophy wife/GF - he needs to lose or get leprosy or something for a while before I'll like him again.

So far Jeff Gordon's the only one who's fulfilled my wishes to where I cheer for him again though yesterday helped with Federer (plus the aforementioned McEnroe-Nadal lovefest).

It would be nice if this turns into the next great rivalry - those two are so far above anyone else in the game. If Roger wins the Open and then can steal The French, it may be there.

And through the match I was wondering if Federer might try to experiment with a 2-handed backhand and make that a weapon rather than just a way to get the ball back.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 09:53 AM
It would be nice if this turns into the next great rivalry - those two are so far above anyone else in the game. If Roger wins the Open and then can steal The French, it may be there.

I think it is a great rivarly already. (although Nadal struggles on hard courts), but here are some numbers that surprised me a little bit and I follow tennis pretty closely.

It was their sixth Grand Slam final, already more than between any other pair of men in the 40-year Open era, and there could be several to follow. Federer is only 26, after all, and Nadal is 22. Federer has led the rankings for a record 231 consecutive weeks, and Nadal has been second for a record 154.

rexnom
07-07-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't know. It seems to me like the tide is turning in favor of Nadal.

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't know. It seems to me like the tide is turning in favor of Nadal.

That's the problem - Nadal is easily best on his best surface and now he's best (if only by a little) on Federer's best surface. It has the feel of a changing of the guard more than a true rivalry like McEnroe-Connors/Borg-McEnroe/Sampras-Agassi.

I hope Roger can improve his game - to me his backhand is the one area he could significantly improve.

EDIT: BTW, while we're talking "other" sports - is anyone following what Dara Torres is doing at age 41? Amazing.

jeffg-body
07-07-2008, 10:13 AM
One of the greatest tennis matches I've seen in a while.

rexnom
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
That's the problem - Nadal is easily best on his best surface and now he's best (if only by a little) on Federer's best surface. It has the feel of a changing of the guard more than a true rivalry like McEnroe-Connors/Borg-McEnroe/Sampras-Agassi.

I hope Roger can improve his game - to me his backhand is the one area he could significantly improve.

EDIT: BTW, while we're talking "other" sports - is anyone following what Dara Torres is doing at age 41? Amazing.
Well, basically Roger has to win the French now.

JayRedd
07-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Nadal is easily best on his best surface and now he's best (if only by a little) on Federer's best surface. It has the feel of a changing of the guard more than a true rivalry

Well, basically Roger has to win the French now.

Oh...come on guys.

Nadal is better on grass now? Let's calm down. Roger had an absurd 52 unforced errors yesterday (52ish...didn't bother to look it up) and, as good as that match was, he struggled with the consistency of his ground strokes in a way he rarely does.

The guy is still a cyborg. I half-expected his runner up speech to be "I now know why you cry. But it is something I can never do."

I'll be surprised if he loses more than five sets in Flushing.

rexnom
07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Oh...come on guys.

Nadal is better on grass now? Let's calm down. Roger had an absurd 52 unforced errors yesterday (52ish...didn't bother to look it up) and, as good as that match was, he struggled with the consistency of his ground strokes in a way he rarely does.

The guy is still a cyborg. I half-expected his runner up speech to be "I now know why you cry. But it is something I can never do."

I'll be surprised if he loses more than five sets in Flushing.
Did you think at any point in yesterday's match that Rafa was going to lose? Seriously? I didn't. The US Open will be interesting. Roger should win. But to keep the rivalry going, he has to beat Rafa at the French at some point.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 11:29 AM

"Improve his game" he's been number 1 for 231 consecutive weeks and you want him to improve his game. He will without question go down as one of the very best alltime and you want him to improve his game. OK, I just wish Jordan and Tiger Woods would have improved their games

Trader Joe
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't think Federer is as dominant as Tiger or Jordan. Probably the two greatests talents ever in their respective sports. I don't know if you can say that about Roger. He definetely has things to work on.

rexnom
07-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Roger has been in something like 12 of the past 13 slam finals (he lost in the semis of the other one). That's astounding. I think he's definitely the most consistent tennis player of all time. But I don't think he's the most talented.

And one has to wonder, how would Roger have fared in the 90s when Sampras won his 14 slams (which Roger will undoubtedly eclipse)? Rafa is the only serious competition Roger has really had (and to some extent, now, Djokovic) but before that, he was facing the likes of Andy Roddick and Lleyton Hewitt - fine players but nothing like the Agassi, Becker, Chang minefield Sampras had to face in those years.

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2008, 11:55 AM
"Improve his game" he's been number 1 for 231 consecutive weeks and you want him to improve his game. He will without question go down as one of the very best alltime and you want him to improve his game. OK, I just wish Jordan and Tiger Woods would have improved their games

Jordan and Tiger both did. Jordan couldn't hit a jumpshot consistently and was purely a highlight reel the first 6-7 years of his career. Then he developed an outside shot and that unstoppable fadeaway.

Tiger has rebuilt his swing twice - even while he was the best player in the world - because everyone else was gaining on him.

It's too bad you haven't followed either of those players or you'd know just how ridiculous your statement is.

Federer needs to improve his game, at least if he wants to meet the challenge Nadal's thrown his way. And the one weakness he has - or at least it's not a strength, is his backhand.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Not to continue this argument, I suppose - sure everyone needs to improve, no one is perfect. But Federer is 26 which is old by tennis standards. And really if a couple of points had gone differently yesterday, he would have won his 6th straight.

Nadal is 22, so sure he has really improved the past couple of years.

Just something about saying that Federer needs to improve that just rubs me the wrong way. Federer lost yesterday - he didn't play his best, but if they played 10 times on grass - Roger wins 7 or 8 times.