PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Rush=Derrick McKey?

idioteque
07-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, maybe not 100%, but in many ways Rush does remind me of what I know/remember about McKey. Now this should probably be taken with a grain of salt because I was like 12 or 13 years old during McKey's last years with the Pacers and I don't remember one thing really about Detlef Schrempf, the player he was traded for.

But what I remember hearing about McKey is that he was a great shooter (48% for his career) and defender. Many times, I recall that the Pacers would place him on the opposite team's primary defensive threat. These are the same attributes I have heard on this board about Brandon Rush. I also don't remember McKey ever getting to the basket extremely well, which has also been a knock on Rush. McKey was never the most prolific scorer on the Pacers but during his career he averaged 13-15 ppg for 8 seasons. He always put up solid but never all-star numbers.

Do posters who have maybe a better memory of Derrick compare him to Rush?

Isaac
07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Brandon Rush might hit more threes in two seasons than McKey hit in his entire career. Other than that, they are similar players.

Shade
07-06-2008, 08:07 PM
If the best we get from Rush is Satan redux, I'm going to stone Bird to death.

BlueNGold
07-06-2008, 08:26 PM
If Rush is as talented as McKey, we may have just acquired our second best player. McKey was smart, could defend, had great length and could shoot from a distance. Unfortunately, he was frustratingly passive. He was way too laid back and never came close to reaching his physical potential.

The good news is, Rush will not be passive like that. I expect a smart and enthusiastic player...

idioteque
07-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Alright, this is one of the most painful and annoying things I have ever written on a messageboard. I'm honestly trying not to do my best DaSmash impersonation.

I know a gentleman who is pretty high ranking with the LA Lakers and plays an indirect role in who they draft. He told me that Brandon Rush's character problems (namely his inability to pay child support) and overall attitude really rubbed the organization the wrong way. He told me that it is very possible Rush could be, and I quote "trouble" in the NBA.

I hope all of this **** is wrong but I just felt that if I knew the info, I should throw it out there. At least I wasn't talking about how I camp out in the hallways of the Fieldhouse, I guess.

Roy Munson
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Alright, this is one of the most painful and annoying things I have ever written on a messageboard. I'm honestly trying not to do my best DaSmash impersonation.

I know a gentleman who is pretty high ranking with the LA Lakers and plays an indirect role in who they draft. He told me that Brandon Rush's character problems (namely his inability to pay child support) and overall attitude really rubbed the organization the wrong way. He told me that it is very possible Rush could be, and I quote "trouble" in the NBA.

I hope all of this **** is wrong but I just felt that if I knew the info, I should throw it out there. At least I wasn't talking about how I camp out in the hallways of the Fieldhouse, I guess.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr/04/brandon_rush_has_court_date_child_support_case/

Isaac
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Well maybe he'd be able to pay child support if he had been paid as he deserves to be for working in a multi-billion dollar industry called NCAA basketball.

LG33
07-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Ah, son of a *****.

TheRifleman51
07-06-2008, 09:08 PM
If Rush is as talented as McKey, we may have just acquired our second best player. McKey was smart, could defend, had great length and could shoot from a distance. Unfortunately, he was frustratingly passive. He was way too laid back and never came close to reaching his physical potential.

The good news is, Rush will not be passive like that. I expect a smart and enthusiastic player...

So what your saying is being a under motivated, bench player you took way to my shots in my opinion is a good thing JK JK JK. But i understand what you coming from McKey had a nice little game,He was smooth wit it. But i think B. Rush reminds me more of Jalen Rose. Because he's versitle and has a good all around game. :)

Anthem
07-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Did McKey ever lead his team in scoring?

BlueNGold
07-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Good character guys, huh. Civil contempt in a child support case? Wha?

So...Las Vegas here we come. ...ok, it's time to google Hibbert and Jack.

Big Smooth
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I'll admit that I do not have much knowledge of Brandon Rush beyond basic scouting reports and such but it seems like some people here are trying really hard to downplay his potential. On draft night, I heard people saying he was like Kareem only not as good which I find to be patently ridiculous since Brandon by all reports seems to be a kid who can contribute in a number of different ways on the basketball court aside from mere outside shooting. Now he is being compared to McKey?

I just feel like he is being sold short already and I'm not sure I understand why.

Roy Munson
07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
...ok, it's time to google Hibbert and Jack.

As far as I know, Jack's clean as a whistle.

Arcadian
07-06-2008, 09:59 PM
When McKey was a shut down defender and facilitator on offense he was better or at least more important to a playoff team than Danny has shown to be. Granted it is early in his career and he has been on some dog teams.

I don't see Rush being anything like McKey.

count55
07-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Danny Granger and Derrick McKey are both good basketball players. While I don't see a stylistic similarity for Brandon Rush to either one of them, I would think we'd be thrilled if he had a career comparable to either one of theirs (assuming Danny continues on his current arc).

Anthem
07-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Well maybe he'd be able to pay child support if he had been paid as he deserves to be for working in a multi-billion dollar industry called NCAA basketball.
Dude's in contempt of court for not bothering to show up. This isn't a "not enough funds" issue, it's a "I didn't show up for my court date" issue.

At least Shawne only missed his court date once.

JayRedd
07-06-2008, 10:50 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/apr/04/brandon_rush_has_court_date_child_support_case/

Archive for Friday, April 4, 2008

Brandon Rush has court date in child support case

Kansas University junior basketball guard Brandon Rush has a Missouri court date related to a family court and child support case when the season ends.

According to Jackson County, Mo., court records, Rush has a hearing scheduled for May 13 in Kansas City, Mo. The case was filed March 11 along with a motion for civil contempt. According to the Missouri Bar Association, a judge can enforce a child support order through a civil contempt order.

A court spokeswoman said Friday the file was in a judge’s possession and specific information was unavailable. Much of the information in the online court records were not listed as public information.

Rush also has a Lawrence Municipal Court appearance scheduled for April 11 after he was arrested in December on two warrants for failure to appear in court in Lawrence. Rush had been cited last October for speeding and in December 2006 for driving on the left side of the road and not having proof of insurance.

And he's British?

Great.

count55
07-06-2008, 10:53 PM
And so it begins...

Unclebuck
07-06-2008, 11:15 PM
I wasa huge fan of McKey, I firmly believe McKey was the Pacers most valuable player during both '94 and '95 seasons. Phil Jackson was quoted as saying the same thing.

However, McKey was not a good shooter and had a leg that was 1 inch shooter than the other - that was one of the main reasons why he was injury prone in his later years.

I dont se Rush as anything close to McKey

Anthem
07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't see Rush as anything close to McKey
Better or worse?

Unclebuck
07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Fro what I know of Rus is that he's a scorer. McKey was a facilitator

Ramitt
07-06-2008, 11:40 PM
How about we give him a chance to show us something, before we all condemn him for being like another player?

Noodle
07-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Physically Mckey(6'10") much bigger than Rush(6'6"). They don't even play the same positions. Rush is a shooter. McKey not so much. I cringed when he shot three's. I like Rush, but he's a poor man's Rip Hamilton/Reggie Miller. I hope he proves me wrong.

Isaac
07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Dude's in contempt of court for not bothering to show up. This isn't a "not enough funds" issue, it's a "I didn't show up for my court date" issue.

At least Shawne only missed his court date once.

I see. I knew nothing of the case.

Honestly it doesn't bother me much, but I never felt like the off court issues were the problem with this team. Obviously it hurt the fan base, but the team didn't win because it wasn't good enough, other than Artest I don't think we've had a player who's antics have effected us in the win/loss column.

Big Smooth
07-07-2008, 12:07 AM
I wasa huge fan of McKey, I firmly believe McKey was the Pacers most valuable player during both '94 and '95 seasons. Phil Jackson was quoted as saying the same thing.

However, McKey was not a good shooter and had a leg that was 1 inch shooter than the other - that was one of the main reasons why he was injury prone in his later years.

I dont se Rush as anything close to McKey

I never disliked McKey and understood his role on the team. But from what I recall, he was a guy who was capable of being more of scoring presence but for whatever reasons declined to take on a larger role in the offense.

Roy Munson
07-07-2008, 12:08 AM

Honestly it doesn't bother me much, but I never felt like the off court issues were the problem with this team. Obviously it hurt the fan base, but the team didn't win because it wasn't good enough, other than Artest I don't think we've had a player who's antics have effected us in the win/loss column.

Tinsley, Jackson, Daniels...all the extracurricular stuff those guys were involved in has an affect. The lack of discipline and lack of focus certainly has contributed to losses over the past few seasons. To deny that is naive.

Roaming Gnome
07-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I never disliked McKey and understood his role on the team. But from what I recall, he was a guy who was capable of being more of scoring presence but for whatever reasons declined to take on a larger role in the offense.

http://www.geocities.com/~shovalfilm/images/popeye-yam-spin.gif

McKeyFan
07-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Still my favorite Pacer of all time.

;)

Mr. Sobchak
07-07-2008, 12:55 AM
I can't fathom how some of you don't like McKey. He is my favorite pacer of all time. He was the best defender on the mid to late 90's teams when he was there, scored 13-15 ppg, and was a great passer/facilitator. Calling him Satan for not asserting himself more is freakin crazy..Did you expect him to be the best defender and the go to guy on offense as well? MJ and Kobe he was not, but he was a great player in his own right..

imawhat
07-07-2008, 01:57 AM
I've been waiting for this thread.

There are some glaring similarities between the two players, though their games are quite a bit different. But what I'd consider to be both players defining qualities, imo, are what may forever link the two players.

1. They both have a knack for making the right play all the time.
2. The assertiveness of both players has been questioned, and it's possible that this may limit Brandon from reaching his full potential (like Derrick).

There are other similarities as well. For instance, Derrick was extremely solid at just about everything, offensively. He wasn't a great shooter but he was efficient. He was able to make some great passes due to his length, and ended up being the primary passer from out-of-bounds plays (i.e. Smits game-winner vs. Orlando).

Brandon is solid at just about everything, offensively, as well. He seems to be a better shooter than Derrick but not quite as efficient. He is also more crafty without the ball.

Defensively, it didn't get much better than McKey. I think he might be the best defender to put on a Pacers uniform in the past 20 years. I think it's arguable, considering Artest's pre-brawl season, but the point has been made. You could always count on Derrick to lock down the opponent's best scorer. He was very poised and had good stance. And he always disrupted the flow by getting deflections. I particularly liked watching Derrick guard Michael Jordan and getting the occasional assignment to cover Iverson in the playoffs.

Brandon isn't as good, but I believe he has the potential to be a very good defender. In the college games I've seen, he's successfully guarded against every position vs. Texas, including James, Atchley, and DJ Augustin (like McKey on Iverson). I've also seen him successfully guard Michael Beasley, and watched him shut down Stephen Curry in the tournament after a good first half. He has a tendency to lead with his right hand (correctable) and sometimes loses his man by drifting too far away (also correctable), but his stance is good. Though he doesn't have McKey's length, he has a very nice wingspan (I believe at 7 ft) that more than allows him to cover ground and get a lot of deflections (sound familar?). I also think he's quicker than McKey.

If Brandon's career winds up being similar to McKey's, I'll be extremely pleased. There is no way the Pacers have all their success without a glue guy like Derrick. Donnie Walsh put Derrick in his five favorite Pacers of all-time for a reason.

I think Brandon had the same effect on Kansas. Despite questions about his assertiveness, I expect him to exceed expectations in the NBA.

MyFavMartin
07-07-2008, 02:01 AM
I find it interesting that the poster indicated that Lakers would turn down Rush in the draft... last I checked Memphis had the Laker's first rounder and are very content with Kobe and would love to add Ron Artest....

:bs:

Slick Pinkham
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
McKey could defend power forwards, small forwards, and even shooting guards in a pinch with his long arms and great defensive instincts.

he is underappreciated since he never looked all that comfortable on the offensive end, and even when open he had to almost be begged by the crowd to shoot.

Still, he was with Ron Artest the #1 and #1A best overall defenders this franchise has ever had, and that includes some good defenders like Big Mel, Don Buse, Herb Williams, Tank Thompson, Dale Davis, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting about.

So I'm hoping Rush is a smaller version of McKey on defense with offensive aggressiveness that Derrick lacked.

I guess that means that, no, they aren't much alike but I hope that they can be 50% alike.

2minutes twowa
07-07-2008, 10:34 AM
I remember the Detlef Schrempf/Mckey trade well. I was very disappointed because Detlef was my favorite Pacer and the first Pacer All-star that I remember. Statistically speaking, the Pacers gave up more than they got back in that trade. However, it didn't take long to see that Mckey was a better fit for the championship contending team that was being built. I can't help but draw comparisons to the Bayless/Rush trade. From a statistical and potential standpoint, it appears we gave up more than we got back. But perhaps Bayless would not have been a good fit for the new team that is being built. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I still remember marveling at game 5 (the final game of the first round series) in 2000 against the Bucks, and how well McKey played in that game. Keep in mind he was in many ways a shell of his former self. He had become injury prone. But he played the whole 4th quarter of that game, and I swear - it was probably the best defensive performance I have ever seen (for a quarter)

Why do I say that? not because he shut anyone down - I forget really who he was guarding - probably the Big Dog who he owned.

But it was the way he played team defense. He was the best I have ever seen at being able to shut his man down and still play great team defense. In that fourth quarter, I counted 10 deflections from McKey alone - that is almost one every minute. It was incredible watching him cover for his teammates (usually Jalen). McKey was guarding at least two guys in that quarter

That is the best defensive performance I have ever seen.

McKey is without question one of my top 5 Pacers of alltime. In fact he is probably top 3. In no particular order. Reggie, Dale and McKey are my alltime favorites.

count55
07-07-2008, 11:45 AM
McKey could defend power forwards, small forwards, and even shooting guards in a pinch with his long arms and great defensive instincts.

Still, he was with Ron Artest the #1 and #1A best overall defenders this franchise has ever had, and that includes some good defenders like Big Mel, Don Buse, Herb Williams, Tank Thompson, Dale Davis, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting about.

I can remember watching McKey occasionally get isolated on switch defending a PG on the perimeter...it was astounding watching the PG's expression go from the one of a kid with a brand new ice cream cone to the one of a kid's who's fresh ice cone just flopped on the floor. The guy would be thinking he had some big guy he could break down, but Derrick would use those ungodly quick hands and vulture-like wingspan to flick the ball away from the guy as he tried to get past. Quickest hands I've seen...ever.

Tom White
07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
...He told me that Brandon Rush's character problems (namely his inability to pay child support) and overall attitude really rubbed the organization the wrong way.

This opinion is from a team owned by womanizer Jerry Buss?

The team that employs Buss' nude posing daughter and her smug boyfriend-coach?

The same team that touts Bryant as their poster child for all that is holy?

The team that tolerates celeb-fan Nicholson in the front row, who threatened to sue the ref if that ref tossed him out of the arena?

Are you kidding me?

rexnom
07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
This opinion is from a team owned by womanizer Jerry Buss?

The team that employs Buss' nude posing daughter and her smug boyfriend-coach?

The same team that touts Bryant as their poster child for all that is holy?

The team that tolerates celeb-fan Nicholson in the front row, who threatened to sue the ref if that ref tossed him out of the arena?

Are you kidding me?
All true. But let's not shoot the messenger. DCP just let us know what he "heard" because it's pertinent to the topic. If you don't think it's true, ignore it.

jcouts
07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm willing to forgive anyone for an action they commit while living within the state of Kansas...that place drives me to insanity every time I drive through it. By the time I get to Hays, I'm ready to start driving on the left side of the road.

Gamble1
07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Time will tell whether or not Rush is a horrible farther or not but lets give him time before we convict the man of being a trouble maker in the NBA.

I have a farther who was able to change so I believe anyone of these guys can turn a new leaf.

Very funny jcouts.

Naptown_Seth
07-07-2008, 12:41 PM
If the best we get from Rush is Satan redux, I'm going to stone Bird to death.
Really, from the 11th pick in the draft AND you got a backup PG that instantly upgrades over your primary STARTING PG from the previous year. Frankly it sounds like a great pick to me.

In the prospect thread I started saying Rush was the SG version of McKey months ago, long before I had any hope of the Pacers getting him. At the time I was thinking trading for a 20th pick and getting him there.

Here is a repeat of what I generally was saying: he plays smart, his total court awareness is good, he likes to play the help role, he learns how to defend better as he gets burned by a move, he gets his hands on the ball a lot and both above and below the shoulders, he has plenty of general offensive skill and at times can really take over, but like McKey he also tends to fade and let others dominate more than himself.

This was a fault people found with McKey, that he wouldn't score as much as he seemed clearly able to do. I think you might see that with Rush too. His game does not have a single dominate feature that will be his signature. This guy is the caulk that fills the gaps between all your other pieces, a type that's essential to great winning ball.

Sorry he's not going to be Wade, but even Bayless didn't seem to be Wade IMO. Bayless just looked good enough to be a solid starting offensive PG on a team that had none. Bayless up to this point has not defended at all. It very well could be that Bayless will never be more than TJ Ford without the defense.

Naptown_Seth
07-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Fro what I know of Rus is that he's a scorer. McKey was a facilitator
I think they aren't as different as that. Rush isn't a creator but neither was McKey. Rush doesn't always have plays run for him as much as he takes advantage of situations in support of the team attack. Arthur was their offense, or the bigs in general, and then the guards would feed off that. In fact it was the smaller PGs who were more prone to turn into the "go to" scorer, more than either Chalmers or Rush.

Rush and Chalmers were both "I'll take my 9-11 shots when they come" types. Both also showed good quality for not just moving the ball along, but for throwing in the fake or dribble to improve that option or passing lane.

As for Rush's off court, weren't we told that the Pacers were looking long and hard at this issue? Rush was climbing charts like crazy coming into the draft, not just for the Pacers but for several teams. Bayless was the one facing attitude questions in workouts.

Facts are facts, but something sure seems odd if some terrible attitude was blatantly overlooked in this case.

Tom White
07-07-2008, 12:57 PM
All true. But let's not shoot the messenger. DCP just let us know what he "heard" because it's pertinent to the topic. If you don't think it's true, ignore it.

I wasn't expressing any opinion on DCP (sorry if it sounded that way), I was expressing an opinion about the Lakers orginazation, and particular people within it.

avoidingtheclowns
07-07-2008, 01:04 PM
As for Rush's off court, weren't we told that the Pacers were looking long and hard at this issue? Rush was climbing charts like crazy coming into the draft, not just for the Pacers but for several teams. Bayless was the one facing attitude questions in workouts.

Facts are facts, but something sure seems odd if some terrible attitude was blatantly overlooked in this case.

while i hate to enable you by agreeing, this is generally the perspective i take.

the pacers would have been fairly thorough in their interviews, investigation and psychological profiling of the prospects they invited. they still drafted rush knowing, PR-wise, that they're walking on broken glass. i guess time will tell, but this perspective from the lakers seems to be the outlier.

JayRedd
07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
they still drafted rush knowing, PR-wise, that they're walking on broken glass.

You remember when they knew Brandon Rush was allegedly a deadbeat dad but they drafted him with the 11th pick in the NBA Draft anyway? That was awesome. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/4186/saturday-night-live-the-chris-farley-show?c=125:159)

idioteque
07-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Regarding what I said before.

I just met this guy pretty recently and we became friends off the bat, he's important within the Lakers organization, while not a guy that's on the bench every night, I'd imagine he interacts with Phil Jackson at least a few times a week.

He is a connection I am trying to use to get a leg in on either sports journalism (I can do better than my blog, or I'd never get a job, lol) or franchise PR work (hopefully someday Smooth will be my boss). He told me he'd throw a little info my way at times as long as I don't reveal him by name, and the fact that he might be able to help me get a job someday gives me a hell of an incentive not to.

He's told me some cool stories though, namely how one time another Lakers employee snatched MJ's socks after a big game. When he got home, he saw one sock was really, really heavy. He emptied it out and found MJ's money clip, which had 15k in cash and Magic Johnson's home phone number written down. The guy returned everything and got back from MJ an autographed jersey, shoes, and basketball.

About Rush, he's told me the child support thing played a role, but what it really was was the overall "attitude" of Rush that chafed LA. He couldn't elaborate a heck of a lot more than that, he personally never interviewed Rush but that was just the consensus the organziation came to. I pressed him about Bayless and while he said there were similar concerns that that was overblown.

Of course, he reminded me to take all of that with a grain of salt, heck TPTB for every organization have screwed it up regarding a ton of guys.

I feel lame posting what are in essence unsubstantiated reports and if you're rolling your eyes a bit, I don't blame you. Hopefully people see me as trustworthy enough and this board and will take this info for what its worth, but if not, that's your own prerogative.

Texfjy
07-07-2008, 02:47 PM
I found the following re the article about Rush in this thread. Its a retraction of sorts.
http://mobile.kusports.com/news/2008/apr/10/rush_story_contained_some_inaccuracies/

Gyron
07-07-2008, 02:49 PM
He's told me some cool stories though, namely how one time another Lakers employee snatched MJ's socks after a big game. When he got home, he saw one sock was really, really heavy. He emptied it out and found MJ's money clip, which had 15k in cash and Magic Johnson's home phone number written down. The guy returned everything and got back from MJ an autographed jersey, shoes, and basketball.

Wouldn't this usually lead to arrest and immediate firing in most organizations for theft?

Anthem
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
I found the following re the article about Rush in this thread. Its a retraction of sorts.
http://mobile.kusports.com/news/2008/apr/10/rush_story_contained_some_inaccuracies/
Wow, nice work! Good job with that.

That makes me feel better... basically the paper dropped the ball in every way imaginable.

After reading that, I'm a lot more optimistic about Rush as a Pacer.

idioteque
07-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Wouldn't this usually lead to arrest and immediate firing in most organizations for theft?

I don't know the exact circumstances behindit, good question though. I would guess that most players don't wear the same socks twice, but I'll ask him and let you know when I get an answer.

I do know that MJ during that time wore #23 socks that no other player wore, so if MJ threw them out they would have been easy to find amongst other laundry.

Since86
07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
MJ didn't wear the same shoes twice, so I doubt he cared about socks, especially when the NBA gives you socks.

I imagine it was probably the Lakers lockerroom guy. ESPN, or some other media outlet did a story on him about how he's been around so long and very popular among players both for LA and opponents. I guess he's very good at his job and gets the perks.

EDIT: Not the guy I was talking about but it gives you some insight that the guys in the lockerroom get things from players and even become friends.

Locker room lackey
Student serves NBA players, coaches
Brendan Lowe

WASHINGTON — An hour before a recent basketball game between the Los Angeles Clippers and Washington Wizards, Tim Rumpff stood next to former NBA All-Star Elton Brand in the Clippers’ locker room with all the poise of a Secret Service agent perched next to the president.

While some people would have clamored for the star’s autograph and attention, Rumpff laid low. To him, Brand was simply a guy, just like himself.

Of course, Rumpff is someone who has fetched coffee for Michael Jordan, collected shoes from Tracy McGrady and formed an acquaintanceship with Washington Redskins’ star linebacker LaVar Arrington, who recently gave his cell phone number to Rumpff.

The perks are abundant for the junior journalism major, who has served as visiting team locker room manager at Washington Wizards games for the last five years.

The tale of how the 21-year-old acquired his job is a testament to persistence and inquisitiveness.

“When I was 12, I read something in Sports Illustrated for Kids about guys who worked in the locker room,” Rumpff said. “I thought it sounded awesome so I wrote a letter to the Bullets [now the Wizards]. The guy who is my boss now called and said, ‘You’re too young now, but call when you’re 16.’”

Four years later, Rumpff returned the call. After an interview and a rebounding drill, he was one of three applicants chosen out of a pool of 30.

Rumpff wasn’t catering to NBA players immediately. He spent his first year mopping the floor and cared for the referees his sophomore season.

In his third year, Rumpff was promoted to visiting team locker room manager, which gives him more player access, more responsibility and more money.

Rumpff makes slightly more than minimum wage from the Wizards, but don’t despair for the Gaithersburg native. The visiting team pays Rumpff $50 a game per league regulations.

Then there are the tips.

Several years ago, 14-time NBA All-Star Karl Malone wanted some barbecue Fritos. Rumpff offered to run down the street to CVS. Malone gave him $4, which left Rumpff feeling glum about his tip prospects. Then Malone came back, put something in Rumpff’s hand, and said, “This is for you.”

That something? A $100 bill.

According to Rumpff, Malone isn’t the only high roller; Shaquille O’Neal once gave him $50 for getting a bag of popcorn.

On average, Rumpff pulls in about $75 a game for six hours of work. His career high came last year from the Los Angeles Lakers, which pooled $300 in tips.

Before a recent game against the Clippers, former Terp and current Clipper Chris Wilcox was the rare voice that said locker room managers do not do much for him.

“Nothing, man,” he said. “I handle my own socks, shoes and shorts.”

What Rumpff didn’t do for Wilcox, he did for other players.

At halftime, he went to McDonald’s to get chicken fingers for guard Kerry Kittles. Before the game, Rumpff ran to Starbucks to grab a Strawberry and Crème Frappuccino for rookie Shaun Livingston. In between, he shuttled tickets for players’ friends and families from the locker room to the box office.

About once a game, players ask Rumpff to get a woman’s phone number, which is what the players really pull their wallets out for, he says.

“Those are the biggest tips,” Rumpff said. “They pay more money for a girl’s number than a plate of chicken.”

Though he won’t name names, Rumpff says players often seek the numbers of cheerleaders or women in the first few rows of the crowd. And digits mean dough — anywhere between $10 and $100.

While the duties locker room managers carry out may seem small, Clippers forward Elton Brand says players appreciate the workers.

“They’re a big help,” he said. “It seems just like little things, but they help when you need tickets taken up, or when you want food they always get what you need.”

For fetching players things, Rumpff gets what he wants — sneakers. Over the years, Rumpff has assembled a collection of sneakers left behind by, among others, Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O’Neal, Antoine Walker and Gilbert Arenas.

In the university intramural basketball league, Rumpff sports a pair from Mike James of the Milwaukee Bucks.

“They seem to help; I had 22 points in the first game,”

There are downsides to the job. He says his life is at the whim of the NBA schedule. Also, Rumpff’s work environment is full of large, sweaty, naked men.

“If it’s something you want to see, you can, but it’s not something you want to,” said Rumpff, who, let the record show, has had a girlfriend for more than three years.

In the future, Rumpff sees himself exactly where he is. Once he graduates, Rumpff hopes to get a job in broadcast journalism and work for the Wizards at night.

“I’m planning on trying to hold onto this job as long as I can.”http://media.www.diamondbackonline.com/media/storage/paper873/news/2005/02/21/NewsoffCampus/Locker.Room.Lackey-2320801.shtml

EDIT #2:
Found it.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3265115&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

Hicks
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Thank you. I'm glad to hear it, and I want to make sure more people here read it.

gilpdawg
07-07-2008, 07:01 PM

If the team was winning nobody would give a crap about the off court stuff. Look at all the Colts who've been in trouble the past few years.

Shade
07-07-2008, 10:29 PM
So, are we now officially at the point where we're going to nit-pick every little indiscretion everybody makes to death?

We may as well be ESPN. Then we get to make up stuff when we don't see any flaws.

rexnom
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't care about the off-the-court stuff as long as it doesn't affect the on-the-court stuff.

BlueNGold
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
So, are we now officially at the point where we're going to nit-pick every little indiscretion everybody makes to death?

We may as well be ESPN. Then we get to make up stuff when we don't see any flaws.

I do think we are being ultra sensitive on the subject, but the truth is, the original story didn't look good. Being mildly concerned about it was not nit-picking considering the stated objective of the Pacers to clean up their image. Anyway, I'm not too worried about it after the retraction. Players will always have an issue or two and no one is perfect...but the goal is to make it the exception rather than the rule...as it seemed to be with the last crop of Pacers...

avoidingtheclowns
07-07-2008, 10:49 PM
We may as well be ESPN.

i call dibs on the cheez doodles

JayRedd
07-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I get the first dance.

b1qEBvPmI1s

Isaac
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Tinsley, Jackson, Daniels...all the extracurricular stuff those guys were involved in has an affect. The lack of discipline and lack of focus certainly has contributed to losses over the past few seasons. To deny that is naive.

Tinsley effected the win loss column by making poor decisions on the court, playing poor defense and getting hurt all the time.

Jack actually helped us win a hell of a lot more games then he lost for us, that's for sure. If you want to argue that his shot selection lost us games, that's one thing, but to argue that him firing his gun in the air to scare a fingerless man effected how many wins we got is naive.

JayRedd that is hysterical. Great stuff.

Since86
07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Tinsley effected the win loss column by making poor decisions on the court, playing poor defense and getting hurt all the time.

Jack actually helped us win a hell of a lot more games then he lost for us, that's for sure. If you want to argue that his shot selection lost us games, that's one thing, but to argue that him firing his gun in the air to scare a fingerless man effected how many wins we got is naive.

JayRedd that is hysterical. Great stuff.

I can think of 30 games that were pretty damn hard to play as a team that Jack missed for his behavior.