PDA

View Full Version : Summer Grillin: Best Steak Marinade?

Anthem
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Title says it all.

I'm looking for a new steak marinade. What's your favorite?

Micah

Shade
07-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I've personally never been big on marinade for steak. Steak tastes great as-is.

travmil
07-07-2008, 06:26 AM
If I'm making my own marinade I use the Outback's recipe which I got from a friend that worked there.

Take a shallow pan and place your cuts in it
cover cuts with one cup of beer (Outback used Foster's) and marinate in fridge 1 hr
combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of UNflavored meat tenderizer

remove your cuts from the beer and discard the beer.
rub the dry ingredients evenly over the cuts and let stand in the fridge 30 minutes

When ready to grill have your hot pan ready to sear. Make sure you sear the meat. Steak will still taste good if you don't, just won't taste anything like Outback. Searing carmelizes the brown sugar and makes the seal that holds in all of that flavor and forces the meat terderizer to work it's magic. Grill over a medium high flame, flipping just once to your desired doneness.

When I want something easy I use lawrys carribean jerk marinade. Ziploc bag it overnight with the marinade, and as always sear the meat in a hot pan before going to the grill. All marinades are almost useless if you don't sear the meat after the marinade.

I also have the recipe for Outback's horseradish dip they serve with their steaks if you're interested.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't really like steak to begin with. Always wondered why anyone would like it really. Tough tastless hunk of meat. I do like Prime rib. Ok, I have enjoyed a steak at really nice expensive restaurants - but it still never seems worth $40 or so.

I honestly would rather have chicken or fish.

But to answer your question, if you really want good marinades, go to Williams-Sonoma, sure they are a little more expensive than what you'll find at grocery stores, but they are all really, really good. And the people who work there can help you find what you are looking for

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I rarely marinade steak - I like it the way God made it - with sauteed mushrooms and grilled onions. I love to marinade lamb. So many people don't like lamb but they don't realize that a good marinade/rub can change a pretty tasteless hunk of meat into something wonderful.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I need marinade because I'm poor and buy cheap steak.

I tried a new recipe that worked out pretty well...

quarter cup of:
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- lemon juice

teaspoon of:
- chives
- basil
- basil
- cajun seasoning

Was quite good.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 08:29 AM
When ready to grill have your hot pan ready to sear. Make sure you sear the meat. Steak will still taste good if you don't, just won't taste anything like Outback. Searing carmelizes the brown sugar and makes the seal that holds in all of that flavor and forces the meat terderizer to work it's magic. Grill over a medium high flame, flipping just once to your desired doneness.
You know, I've never seared steak before cooking it... just put it right on the grill. Guess I'll need to try that.

How do you do it? Put a pan on the stovetop and turn the flame on high? Flick a drop of water on to test the heat?

travmil
07-08-2008, 08:51 AM
You know, I've never seared steak before cooking it... just put it right on the grill. Guess I'll need to try that.

How do you do it? Put a pan on the stovetop and turn the flame on high? Flick a drop of water on to test the heat?

Yes the pan must be VERY hot, and it doesn't take long at all. Put a small dab of olive oil or something similar down in the pan, let it heat up, sear on both sides quickly, probably 5-10 seconds. It works really well for ribeye and a few other cuts of meat, not so well for t-bones or anythign else with a bone. The theory is (I watch way too much Alton Brown on food network) that the searing scorches the outside of the steak a bit without burning and then won't allow the juices inside to escape. One other thing I forgot to mention, when your steak is done, don't dig in right away. Let it sit and baste itself for several minutes first and give a chance for the flavors to run through the whole cut.

Haggard
07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
I usually just cook steak up as is.. bbq is best, however i occasionally make a marinade where i mix come crushed garlic with bbq sauce and soy sauce and brush it on lightly. gives it a subtle taste.

pianoman
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
my favorite marinade is:

quarter cup of
barbecue sauce(open pit bbq)
soy sauce
teryaki

teaspoon of
lemon
garlic
rosemary

you won't be disappointed in that marinade.

btowncolt
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM
For my money, there's nothing better on meat than a good rub.

MagicRat
07-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Steak is the tuxedo of meat.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4bmgRWfHEs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4bmgRWfHEs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Slick Pinkham
07-10-2008, 05:48 PM

depends upon the skill and know-how of the rubber

Bball
07-10-2008, 10:40 PM
If I'm making my own marinade I use the Outback's recipe which I got from a friend that worked there.

Take a shallow pan and place your cuts in it
cover cuts with one cup of beer (Outback used Foster's) and marinate in fridge 1 hr
combine 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon of finely ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of UNflavored meat tenderizer

remove your cuts from the beer and discard the beer.
rub the dry ingredients evenly over the cuts and let stand in the fridge 30 minutes

Are those amounts for 1 steak or how many steaks? I'm planning on giving this a try before the weekend's finished.

I also have the recipe for Outback's horseradish dip they serve with their steaks if you're interested.

I didn't know they had such an animal but considering my love of Prime Rib and a good horseradish sauce, I'm game for the recipe, please! :mmmm:

-Bball

Major Cold
07-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Yes the pan must be VERY hot, and it doesn't take long at all. Put a small dab of olive oil or something similar down in the pan, let it heat up, sear on both sides quickly, probably 5-10 seconds. It works really well for ribeye and a few other cuts of meat, not so well for t-bones or anythign else with a bone. The theory is (I watch way too much Alton Brown on food network) that the searing scorches the outside of the steak a bit without burning and then won't allow the juices inside to escape. One other thing I forgot to mention, when your steak is done, don't dig in right away. Let it sit and baste itself for several minutes first and give a chance for the flavors to run through the whole cut.

Okay so cooking a piece of meat that was meant to sweat and bleed at a really high temperature causes it to develop a water tight surface?

Scientifically it does not hold more juices in. In fact by cooking it at such a high temperature will cause the juices and fat to break down more. Searing just carmelizing the outside and gives a different texture that some people crave (Outback is what you crave). I tried butter poaching rib-eyes and made a olive oil, garlic, and parsley marinade. IT went well.

MyFavMartin
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
seasoning salt and charcoal.

use both liberally. ;)

:lynchmob: RED MEAT!

kester99
07-11-2008, 01:08 AM
No one said this, so I'll throw it out there...plain old italian dressing from the bottle...not oil and vinegar that you mix yourself, but the stuff from the store with the little bits of whatever floating in it, that you have to shake up. Not creamy italian, either. Cook the steaks in it, and add a bit on top of the steak when ready to eat.

Surprised me that it was that good...we got shown that in Italy, by a Greek neighbor. I'd never heard of it in the states, and he swore by the American stuff from the bottle (not for salads, just the steak).

Eindar
07-11-2008, 04:12 AM
No one said this, so I'll throw it out there...plain old italian dressing from the bottle...not oil and vinegar that you mix yourself, but the stuff from the store with the little bits of whatever floating in it, that you have to shake up. Not creamy italian, either. Cook the steaks in it, and add a bit on top of the steak when ready to eat.

Surprised me that it was that good...we got shown that in Italy, by a Greek neighbor. I'd never heard of it in the states, and he swore by the American stuff from the bottle (not for salads, just the steak).

This is spot on. Easy, cheap, and the best marinade I've ever had, but with a twist.

Put your cut of meat in a marinade with Italian Dressing (generic works just as good as Ken's Steakhouse) and Worcestershire Sauce. Use enough of thw Worcestershire to make the marinade a little brown, maybe half a bottle?

That in itself is a great marinade that will give you flavorful, juicy grilled steaks every time. One twist I like to do for a more Carne Asada flavor is to add garlic and onion powder to the steaks on the grill, and squeeze some lime juice on them.

avoidingtheclowns
07-11-2008, 09:20 AM

for btown, a good rub always leads to a happy ending

Anthem
07-11-2008, 10:19 AM

Absolutely. Hitting it with some Lawry's while it's on the grill helps, or mixing in a little A-1 is a good addition too.

But in a pinch, I've always gone with straight Wishbone Italian Dressing.

Major Cold
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I like Italian on my chicken. And Wishbone is what I use.

Trader Joe
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I like Italian on my chicken. And Wishbone is what I use.

My bologna has a first name, it's O-s-c-a-r...

This thread makes me hungry.

travmil
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay so cooking a piece of meat that was meant to sweat and bleed at a really high temperature causes it to develop a water tight surface?

Scientifically it does not hold more juices in. In fact by cooking it at such a high temperature will cause the juices and fat to break down more. Searing just carmelizing the outside and gives a different texture that some people crave (Outback is what you crave). I tried butter poaching rib-eyes and made a olive oil, garlic, and parsley marinade. IT went well.

I said it was a theory. No it doesn't make it water tight, but it DOES hold in some of the stuff that would have dripped out in the grill. Yes there is a difference in texture, but there is also a difference in taste. A seared steak tastes nothing like a non seared steak with the same ingredients.

travmil
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Are those amounts for 1 steak or how many steaks? I'm planning on giving this a try before the weekend's finished.

I didn't know they had such an animal but considering my love of Prime Rib and a good horseradish sauce, I'm game for the recipe, please! :mmmm:

-Bball

That's the amount I use when I'm grilling 3-4 steaks. I need to make a correction though when I typed this I was at work and didn't have the recipe available. It's 2 TEASPOONS of brown sugar, so a little less than I listed above.

The dipping sauce is super easy. They serve it in a little cup off to the side with every steak.

2/3 cup of sour cream
1/4 cup of REAL mayonaise (not miracle whip)
3 teaspoons of horseradish
3/4 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of dried dill weed

my friend always told me that they made it the day before they were going to use it. I made it the same day once though and it tasted fine.