PDA

View Full Version : What's the truth about Tinsley's shape?

bigdl
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I've read varying comments, most attributed to the Star's Mike Wells, that Tinsely has put on some serious weight. If true, that has to make an almost untradeable player impossible to move.

This brings up several questions:
1. Can anyone get to the truth? Is the weight gain true?

2. Is the Tin man rehabbing a bad knee, or just sitting on his backside? If he is, is that rehab occurring here in Indy or elsewhere?

3. What rights do the Pacers have in monitoring the rehab, and also what rights do they have to mandate that a player be in playing shape? If Tinsley is just sitting on the sidelines and taking a paycheck, without properly working toward a return, can they not move to either suspend or have him declared retired? And would that not save them some serious cap room?

I'd just like to get to the bottom of this ongoing saga.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2008, 12:44 PM
I've posted this b4 that Tinjury isn't interested in playing again. Maybe he enjoys the life of not playing BB. Maybe he feels with the extra pounds it makes it impossible for the Pacers to trade him. MAYBE TINJURY WANTS TO BE BOUGHT OUT!!! By putting the weight on and not being in shape, he's forcing the Pacers to buy him out. JMOAA

Anthem
07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
I've posted this b4 that Tinjury isn't interested in playing again.
Got a source?

You have good questions, BigDL, and I've wondered the same thing. I don't think we'll know anything for a while, though, unless somebody who actually sees Tinsley gets on here and tells us.

ABADays
07-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Tinsley wan't interested in playing when he was here the past few years. But IF - and this is a big IF - he has put on all this weight and not made an attempt to keep himself in playing shape I would imagine any buyout figure could be affected. Beyond that, if he has done nothing but sit on his backside it would be just another sign of how stupid the guy is. His on-court attitude has already cost him. But then again, we are talking about millions. What does losing a few million to him mean?

pianoman
07-06-2008, 01:17 PM
:fatbanana round is a shape!

I think tinsley realizes his career is over and he doesn't really care, as long as he gets his money

BlueNGold
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Tinsley should seriously consider working for the globe trotters and forget about getting back in NBA shape. He would be a good fit...

Justin Tyme
07-06-2008, 01:42 PM
:fatbanana round is a shape!

I think tinsley realizes his career is over and he doesn't really care, as long as he gets his money

Absolutely!

Justin Tyme
07-06-2008, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=Anthem;752435]

Got a source? /QUOTE]

JMOAA! And it's not been proven wrong.

I'm not sure it can ever be proved right or wrong. It's like which of the 2 headed monsters made the which deal. One can only have an opinion, for I don't think we'll ever find out the truth.

Does anyone see Tinsley having a heart/passion for the game anymore? Or is it that his heart isn't in being a Pacer anymore, but still wants to be paid?

maragin
07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Tinsley is treated like a tabloid Britney on this board, so I view many rumors about him with skepticism. He has been demonized to the point that I'm forced to consider recent pregnancy rumors a possibility.

I heard Tinsley never wanted to play basketball, ever.
I hear in the offseason, all he does is eat popcorn and watch Sex and the City.
Peter Vescey is reporting that Jamaal Tinsley is homeless and begging for change near the Slippery Noodle.
I heard that the only reason Tinsley played so well at the beginning of last season is that he hates Danny Granger.
I heard when Jamaal orders a meal at McDonald's, he screams "AND 1, MUTHA******!" at the cashier.
There is zero possibility that the team had Tinsley sit out for image concerns and blamed it on whatever injury they wanted. None.
I heard Jamaal "Hussein" Tinsley was a terrorist.
Jamaal has never been a good teammate, despite what his teammates have said. We know those quotes were fabricated by Detroit fans.
I heard Jamaal Tinsley can't dribble the basketball anymore.
I heard Jamaal Tinsley was retiring to take over the Don's Guns stores.I'm interested to see how it all unfolds. I was happy to see him come back last year to JO's team, without complaining to the media*, and play with fire before the injury/ conduct crap started up. I'd like to see him shipped to a team where he can get a fresh start, and let the Pacers start fresh as well.

*Unconfirmed media reports

Dece
07-06-2008, 03:46 PM
It's kind of useless to demand sources when it comes to Tinsley on this board. People will say whatever they feel like about him, they don't have to back it up, and admins let it run free. I personally see all the rampant speculation trashing him as classless, but hey, maybe that's just me.

"It hasn't been proven wrong." What a great debate line, I mean, that argument is FLAWLESS.

count55
07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Tinsley wan't interested in playing when he was here the past few years. But IF - and this is a big IF - he has put on all this weight and not made an attempt to keep himself in playing shape I would imagine any buyout figure could be affected. Beyond that, if he has done nothing but sit on his backside it would be just another sign of how stupid the guy is. His on-court attitude has already cost him. But then again, we are talking about millions. What does losing a few million to him mean?

How would this affect the buyout number negatively? If Tinsley eats himself out of shape and becomes even more untradeable, yet can neither retire nor void his contract, the Pacers are left with only one option: buyout. At that point, it's a sellers market.

All Tinsley has to do not do anything so egregious as to violate a provision in his contract, (which, based on most NBA contracts and the story of Latrell Sprewell, would probably require him selling drugs, murdering small children, and getting both of the Olsen Twins pregnant) and he's guaranteed his money. As long as he, or someone around him is smart enough to remember that, then he should be able to get the Pacers to pony up the cash.

EDIT: If that's the path he chose to take. I don't have any idea one way or the other whether Tinsley has lost the desire to play or has a serious knee injury.

Anthem
07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
JMOAA! And it's not been proven wrong.
It's not been proven credible, either.

I'm not sure it can ever be proved right or wrong.
I rewrote my response several times to make sure it wasn't infraction-worthy. None of them seemed sufficiently tame, so I've entirely cut the part of this post where I express my opinion of your ability to express a logical point.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I rewrote my response several times to make sure it wasn't infraction-worthy. None of them seemed sufficiently tame, so I've entirely cut the part of this post where I express my opinion of your ability to express a logical point.

LOL!

imawhat
07-06-2008, 05:40 PM
As far as his shape concerns.....

Can anyone get a freeze frame from a late season game with Tinsley, in suit, standing during a timeout huddle? If so, I'd like to see one of those pics, and then compare it to the pic from this past summer that's in the DW tribute at IndyStar.

I know a lot of the rumors about Tinsley's weight are post-April, but he gained a good 20-25 lbs before the season ended. He was easily the biggest I've ever seen him at the last few games he attended.

I understand all the rampant speculation on this board. Why wouldn't there be? Two weeks before the trading deadline, the team shuts him down. Even Tinsley himself seemed confused about why he wasn't allowed to play. One month later and he says "oh, I got this thing with my knee". I don't find that believable at all, and then a franchise that has always supported him, Bird included, completely turned on him.

Something obviously happened and the details are extremely vague. I'm guessing we stopped him from playing, tried to trade and failed, and then he "quit". More speculation.

ABADays
07-06-2008, 06:15 PM
How would this affect the buyout number negatively? If Tinsley eats himself out of shape and becomes even more untradeable, yet can neither retire nor void his contract, the Pacers are left with only one option: buyout. At that point, it's a sellers market.

All Tinsley has to do not do anything so egregious as to violate a provision in his contract, (which, based on most NBA contracts and the story of Latrell Sprewell, would probably require him selling drugs, murdering small children, and getting both of the Olsen Twins pregnant) and he's guaranteed his money. As long as he, or someone around him is smart enough to remember that, then he should be able to get the Pacers to pony up the cash.

EDIT: If that's the path he chose to take. I don't have any idea one way or the other whether Tinsley has lost the desire to play or has a serious knee injury.

Well there are pretty much provisions in any standard players contract requiring them to - paraphrasing - make their best effort to maintain professional conditioning. The club has to be protected that this guy is going to maintain his capabilities and not decide to have 6 pizzas and a whole chocolate cake for every meal. Tinsley's still under contract. If the Pacers are obligated to pay Tinsley has responsibilities as well. You can't just become a bum.

Even a guaranteed contract has stipulations relative to an anthletes responsibility. Clubs would be stupid to do otherwise.

ABADays
07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
It's kind of useless to demand sources when it comes to Tinsley on this board. People will say whatever they feel like about him, they don't have to back it up, and admins let it run free. I personally see all the rampant speculation trashing him as classless, but hey, maybe that's just me.

"It hasn't been proven wrong." What a great debate line, I mean, that argument is FLAWLESS.

He can't be classless. He handed out coats once.

Anthem
07-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Well there are pretty much provisions in any standard players contract requiring them to - paraphrasing - make their best effort to maintain professional conditioning.
Really? Then why did Vin Baker get bought out?

I'm not fighting, I'm asking.

JayRedd
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah...I don't think there is any way to recoup dough for a person just being a lazy, out-of-shape dipshit. At least not against the cap.

OnlyPacersLeft
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
my god tinsley gets a bad rap on this board....He was playing very well before he got hurt. Now he's gone from that to out of the league? wtf...i am still a big jamaal fan.

hoopsforlife
07-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Tinsley is treated like a tabloid Britney on this board, so I view many rumors about him with skepticism. He has been demonized to the point that I'm forced to consider recent pregnancy rumors a possibility.

I heard Tinsley never wanted to play basketball, ever.
I hear in the offseason, all he does is eat popcorn and watch Sex and the City.
Peter Vescey is reporting that Jamaal Tinsley is homeless and begging for change near the Slippery Noodle.
I heard that the only reason Tinsley played so well at the beginning of last season is that he hates Danny Granger.
I heard when Jamaal orders a meal at McDonald's, he screams "AND 1, MUTHA******!" at the cashier.
There is zero possibility that the team had Tinsley sit out for image concerns and blamed it on whatever injury they wanted. None.
I heard Jamaal "Hussein" Tinsley was a terrorist.
Jamaal has never been a good teammate, despite what his teammates have said. We know those quotes were fabricated by Detroit fans.
I heard Jamaal Tinsley can't dribble the basketball anymore.
I heard Jamaal Tinsley was retiring to take over the Don's Guns stores.I'm interested to see how it all unfolds. I was happy to see him come back last year to JO's team, without complaining to the media*, and play with fire before the injury/ conduct crap started up. I'd like to see him shipped to a team where he can get a fresh start, and let the Pacers start fresh as well.

*Unconfirmed media reports

Sure, hold back all the bad stuff about him. I think people have a right to know it all, not just the mild things.

:)

count55
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Well there are pretty much provisions in any standard players contract requiring them to - paraphrasing - make their best effort to maintain professional conditioning. The club has to be protected that this guy is going to maintain his capabilities and not decide to have 6 pizzas and a whole chocolate cake for every meal. Tinsley's still under contract. If the Pacers are obligated to pay Tinsley has responsibilities as well. You can't just become a bum.

Even a guaranteed contract has stipulations relative to an anthletes responsibility. Clubs would be stupid to do otherwise.

Actually, The Uniform Player Contract (http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-II.php#section3), which by my admittedly non-law degree holding reading claims to be the controlling and limiting document for all NBA Contracts has no such conditioning requirement.

A player must pass a physical at the time he signs his contract, but after that, there appear to be no stipulations.

(i) The player must report for such physical examination at the time designated by the Team (which shall be no later than the third business day following the execution of the Contract), and must, upon reporting, supply all information reasonably requested of him, provide complete and truthful answers to all questions posed to him, and submit to all examinations and tests requested of him. The determination of whether the player has passed the physical examination shall be made by the Team in its sole discretion. If the player does not pass the physical examination, the Team shall so notify the player no later than the sixth business day following the execution of the Contract.

(ii) The Team’s determination that the player has passed the physical examination by the player shall be a condition precedent to the validity of the Contract. Accordingly, and without limiting the generality of the preceding sentence, until such time as a player has passed the physical examination, the prohibitions set forth in Section 12(b) above shall continue to apply to the Team and player

There are mentions of condition requirements related to payment of a bonus:

b) By agreeing upon provisions (to be set forth in Exhibit 1 to a Uniform Player Contract) setting forth lump sum bonuses, and the payment date for each such bonus, to be paid as a result of: (i) the player’s execution of a Uniform Player Contract or Extension (a “signing bonus”); (ii) the exercise or non-exercise of an option pursuant to Articles VII and XII; (iii) the player’s achievement of agreed-upon benchmarks relating to his performance as a player or the Team’s performance during a particular NBA Season, subject to the limitations imposed by paragraph 3(c) of the Uniform Player Contract and Section 11(c) below; or (iv) the player’s achievement of agreed-upon benchmarks relating to his physical condition or academic achievement, including the player’s attendance at and participation in an off-season summer league and/or an off-season skill and/or conditioning program upon terms and conditions agreed upon by the Team and player (subject to the provisions of Section 11(b) below). Any amendment agreed upon pursuant to subsections (iii) or (iv) of this Section 3(b) must be structured so as to provide an incentive for positive achievement by the player and/or the Team; and any amendment agreed upon pursuant to subsection (iii) must be based upon specific numerical benchmarks or Generally Recognized League Honors. By way of example and not limitation, an amendment agreed upon pursuant to subsection (iii) may provide for the player to receive a bonus if his free-throw percentage exceeds 80%, but may not provide for the player to receive a bonus if his free-throw percentage improves over his previous Season’s percentage.

But, the only definitive statements about offseason conditioning appear here:

(b)

(i) No Uniform Player Contract may provide for the player’s attendance at and participation in an off-season skill and/or conditioning program that exceeds two (2) weeks in length.

Which actually seem to limit how much offseason conditioning a team can require.

I'm sure a skilled lawyer might be able to find something to hang his hat on, but let me ask you this: Who was the last NBA player to have his guaranteed contract voided? I honestly can't think of one.

While intuitively, we would hope that NBA players contracts would have some provisions that would put players in a position to be held responsible for being in shape and ready to play, but the contract appears to be all carrot and no stick. The incentive for the player is, in truth, the next contract. As in many businesses, the company is almost entirely reliant on the work ethic and character of the employee once the hire is made. (BTW...if this strikes you as stupid, you should see some of the UAW agreements I've seen.)

NBA teams are banking on young players wanting their next contract, older players wanting that big payday, and all players wanting to feed their ego with minutes. That's how they keep them in shape in the offseason. It works a good deal of the time, but if Gilbert Arenas decided to spend the summer shuttling between Five Guys and Coldstone, then waiting at home for Donato's, there's not a lot of recourse for the team. (Or at least it appears that way.)

(Author's note: This is my speculation based on what I could find. If someone can find something that directly addresses this question, that would be great. I'd love to be wrong on this.)

Justin Tyme
07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
my god tinsley gets a bad rap on this board....He was playing very well before he got hurt. Now he's gone from that to out of the league? wtf...i am still a big jamaal fan.

Who created Tinsley's offcourt problems?
Who created the negative things that have been discussed on this board?
Who is in control of Tinsley's life and behavior?

Tinsley or the board?

If he produced at his abilities on a constant basis w/o offcourt problems, he wouldn't have gotten a bad rap on this board, any other board, by Pacer fans, or the public in general.

count55
07-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Again, I'm not arguing that this is what Tinsley is planning to do. Absent any specific information, I have to assume that he wants to play next year and get that next contract.

However, I was disagreeing with the premise that Jamaal would hurt his buyout position by basically saying "**** it' and sitting in front of a TV with a never ending supply of Ben & Jerry's this summer. Honestly, I don't think Jamaal can hurt his buyout position, short of multiple felonies. We're pretty much as his mercy.

McKeyFan
07-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Better change your handle to "OnlyJamaalFanLeft."

bigdl
07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
The thing is, this is a key moment in time to trade the guy. We have several teams that really need a starting caliber point guard, and Tins, when healthy, can play. No doubt about it. Golden State is in a world of hurt right now because of the Baron Davis bailout. Tins could be a very good fit there; some friends on the team; defense not a priority; and a fresh start.

If we don't move him now, we are looking at the buyout option, or sitting him until the trade deadline next year to find a potential partner. I really don't think the Tin man can suit up again as a Pacer; certainly not after Birds' recent comments.

So it is really frustrating to be completely in the dark as to the extent of Tinsley's "injury", not to mention whether or not he's turned into a butterball.

ABADays
07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I appreciate your research Count. Could be you're correct. With all the legal minds available to and part of the league and franchises there has just GOT TO BE something that protects a team from this very action. If I was a GM or team president I just couldn't, in good conscience, offer a contract like that. Quite frankly I think it's insane - especially with all the "characters" that come into the league each year.

As far as Tinsley, I think if he weighed "do I change and work hard for $9M a year or do I want to be my typical lazy, a**hole self for $6M" I think he would take the $6M.

Smoothdave1
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Does anyone not recall a few years ago when Tinsley ballooned up? If I remember correctly, he even acknowledged that his weight was much greater than listed. He is listed at 6'3 and 185. In reality he's about 6'1 and 225. And yes, I've stood next to him for those who wonder. Tinsley doesn't care anymore. He's got a guaranteed deal for the next few years and knows his days in Indy are numbered, so what does he care. I know it's the wrong attitude, but Tinsley seems to have the me against the world attitude.

However, what, if any, trade value Tinsley had has all but diminished as a lot of teams don't want an overweight point leading their team.

JayRedd
07-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I appreciate your research Count. Could be you're correct. With all the legal minds available to and part of the league and franchises there has just GOT TO BE something that protects a team from this very action.

Nope...There isn't.

You can bench em, suspend em or even waive em from your team...But a guaranteed contract is just that. The day the player signs it, the money is in all practical terms his.

(Although, yes, there are of course certain legal and behavioral clauses like riding motorcycles or fighting dragons that could void a deal. But "becoming a fat *******" does not qualify.)

ABADays
07-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Nope...There isn't.

You can bench em, suspend em or even waive em from your team...But a guaranteed contract is just that. The day the player signs it, the money is in all practical terms his.

Tinsley must be laughing his alleged fat a** off then.

count55
07-06-2008, 10:48 PM
As far as Tinsley, I think if he weighed "do I change and work hard for $9M a year or do I want to be my typical lazy, a**hole self for $6M" I think he would take the $6M.

Well, considering the amount of work and hours I've put in over my lifetime, and the fact that my Social Security statement tells me that I've barely exceeded the NBA minimum contract, I'm thinking I might want to be my typical, lazy, ******* self for $6mm, too.

count55
07-06-2008, 10:51 PM
(Although, yes, there are of course certain legal and behavioral clauses like riding motorcycles or fighting dragons that could void a deal. But "becoming a fat *******" does not qualify.)

Never a dragon around when ya need one.

Anthem
07-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Tinsley must be laughing his alleged fat a** off then.
If he's actually out of shape.

Look, I want the guy gone as much as anybody. But this is all way premature. We don't know that he's actually gained weight at all. He's been pretty into health and fitness over the past several years. Plus, if he actually has gained weight, the odds are probably better that he's been staying off the knee for medical reasons than that he's spending his days in China Buffets*** and ingesting strawberry smoothies via IV tube.

Unless somebody has some real information, it's not worth speculating on.

*** Poet / Know it.

Unclebuck
07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
It doesn't really matter, Pacers will not find a team that is willing to take Tinsley (unless we throw in Granger and take back a horrible contract)
so whether he's gained 40 lbs or lost 40 lbs, it doesn't matter

in fact I wish we could ban the words Jamaal Tinsley from this forum

Roaming Gnome
07-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Someone could just e-mail Mike Wells and ask for themselves. Wells should be getting back from his honeymoon this week (reason for J. Robjohns having the by line the last 2 weeks). Wells usually does a decent job of answering his e-mail and could put this controversy to rest.

As for the rumor, I heard the interview between JMV (1260am) and Mike Wells on Wednesday June, 25th at about 3:40pm. JMV made a wise crack about Jamaal putting on 30 lbs. Wells came back and elaboraed on the fact that Jamaal's knee injury still isn't clear and that the number was 25 lbs. last he heard. He mentioned that he put the weight on since April.

Dece
07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
I mean, this is just silly. Even if he has put on weight it could simply be him unable to exercise at the usual NBA level due to knee problems. It could be that during the off season he puts on some weight and before the season he works it back off, as I'm sure many if not most NBA players do.

I could go on and on, but you people don't want to hear it. Someone from YOUR city goes nuts, chases him with an AK and it's his fault, so certainly something much more tame and reasonable must be him being lazy and not having any desire to play NBA ball anymore. ...all from a offhand, unproven, speculative gossip comment on a radio show...

You guys kill me.

Roaming Gnome
07-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I mean, this is just silly. Even if he has put on weight it could simply be him unable to exercise at the usual NBA level due to knee problems. It could be that during the off season he puts on some weight and before the season he works it back off, as I'm sure many if not most NBA players do.

I could go on and on, but you people don't want to hear it. Someone from YOUR city goes nuts, chases him with an AK and it's his fault, so certainly something much more tame and reasonable must be him being lazy and not having any desire to play NBA ball anymore. ...all from a offhand, unproven, speculative gossip comment on a radio show...

You guys kill me.

AKA... The Pacers beat writer for the Indianapolis Star. Thank you, good night!

Jose Slaughter
07-07-2008, 01:45 AM
It doesn't matter what shape he's in, or why.

It appears that Bird will put the Tinsley years behind us.

Anthem
07-07-2008, 01:59 AM
It doesn't matter what shape he's in, or why.

It appears that Bird will put the Tinsley years behind us.
I think we all agree with that. The question is, how?

imawhat
07-07-2008, 02:04 AM
I appreciate your research Count. Could be you're correct. With all the legal minds available to and part of the league and franchises there has just GOT TO BE something that protects a team from this very action. If I was a GM or team president I just couldn't, in good conscience, offer a contract like that. Quite frankly I think it's insane - especially with all the "characters" that come into the league each year.

Just to add, I'm sure the Players Union prevents any clauses from being added to the contract that would allow a team to gain compensation based upon their judgement of a player's (in)ability to "stay in shape".

count55
07-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Just to add, I'm sure the Players Union prevents any clauses from being added to the contract that would allow a team to gain compensation based upon their judgement of a player's (in)ability to "stay in shape".

Actually, that's what Section 3 of the NBAPA Uniform Player's contract that I linked to earlier does...It's titled "Allowable Amendments"

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Actually, that's what Section 3 of the NBAPA Uniform Player's contract that I linked to earlier does...It's titled "Allowable Amendments"

Yeah, I've heard of some players having a weight clause in their contract. Doubtful that JT does though

Since86
07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

You guys kill me.

You honestly think that you need to move both knees just to stay in shape? Anyways that's beside the point, he could do non weight bearing exercises and it wouldn't bother his knee.

There are a few things he could do, especially keeping weight off and keeping up his cardiovascular endurance.

Naptown_Seth
07-08-2008, 12:42 AM
AKA... The Pacers beat writer for the Indianapolis Star. Thank you, good night!
Exactly. And it's been mentioned by Eddie/Kravitz as well. Not like "I wonder if..." but much more like "I was told by another reporter who actually saw him".

Wells might stir the pot or underwhelm with his writing but he has little incentive to outright lie about this stuff. It sounds like he or someone trusted who has contact with Tins has seen him.

This is not the same as a witch hunt. This is real concern over growing buzz that is starting to sound legit. Forget lazy, we aren't even getting to that. Why and how aren't going to matter if he's really put on 25-35 pounds as has been mentioned.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Exactly.
I don't think you took that how he meant it.

Hicks
07-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Actually, upon speaking with him last night, he did.

Naptown_Seth
07-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Gnome is saying that this isn't "rumor" it's the freaking beat writer talking about something he saw firsthand or heard from an extremely reliable source. So far I've taken his comments to mean that he saw it.

I'm not even piling on Tins with that part. To me that's just the strongly hinted at facts. The pile on is the reasoning behind how he got that way.

As others have said, it doesn't matter, he's gone anyway. Kravitz knows zilch about the NBA unless someone tells him and he's been talking about Tins getting bought out like it's a fact, not just his best guess. I think he's heard direct quotes on the subject.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 11:20 AM
And here I thought he was equating "offhand, unproven, speculative gossip" with the writers for the IndyStar. I know I do.

Whatever. I don't have a dog in the hunt... I'm beyond ready to move on Tinsley. I hate buying him out, though. That's almost never in a team's best interest. I mean, we waited through on Croshere when he was the team's 4th-best PF... I never once suggested that he should be bought out.

What happens, happens. It means I'm still waiting to be impressed with our FO, though. Nobody doubted that we could move Jermaine... the question was whether we could move Tinsley.

Not a bad summer, but not a miracle summer either.

count55
07-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Whatever. I don't have a dog in the hunt... I'm beyond ready to move on Tinsley. I hate buying him out, though. That's almost never in a team's best interest. I mean, we waited through on Croshere when he was the team's 4th-best PF... I never once suggested that he should be bought out.

Well, I certainly view a buyout as a "last resort" move that is almost never applicable, I find it hard to believe that you'd equate Croshere to Tinsley. Croshere was basically a disappointment on the court who had neutral to slightly positive value in the public arena and, supposedly, in the locker room. With Tinsley, even if you assume that he has been a solid citizen within the locker room, surely you can't deny how radioactive he is within the Indiana Pacer fanbase (or potential fanbase). Right, wrong, or indifferent, Jamaal is now the poster child for the "JailPacer" days. Whether the active hatred is deserved by Jamaal or not, it's there, and it provides a pretty compelling reason for the Pacers to consider severing ties with him at almost any cost. I simply don't see any parallel between the two.

Bball
07-08-2008, 11:48 AM
As others have said, it doesn't matter, he's gone anyway.

He's not 'gone' until he's 'gone'. The winds may all be blowing that direction but winds have died down before.

The Pacers are under no pressure to make him disappear any time soon (unless they think it would immediately cause season ticket sales to rise exponentially) so I just hope they can maintain a strong resolve to not ever suit him up as a Pacer ever again.

We don't even need to let him sit on the bench in a role as disaster PG any longer. We just need him 'gone'.

-Bball

aceace
07-08-2008, 05:17 PM
He's not 'gone' until he's 'gone'. The winds may all be blowing that direction but winds have died down before.

The Pacers are under no pressure to make him disappear any time soon (unless they think it would immediately cause season ticket sales to rise exponentially) so I just hope they can maintain a strong resolve to not ever suit him up as a Pacer ever again.

We don't even need to let him sit on the bench in a role as disaster PG any longer. We just need him 'gone'.

-BballI agree 100%, tell him to stay at the crib, hang out at Cloud Seven or Club Rio. Pacer basketball moves on......
I wonder though.... is he Eddie Curry fat or Robert "Tractor" Traylor fat....

Hicks
07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
:whistle:

Imagine that, a guy who works to keep his body in playing shape. Puts him a level above Tinsley right off the bat.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2008/07/trades_are_offi_1.html

;)

MagicRat
07-09-2008, 05:40 PM

-Bball

Listen to JOB's interview from today's Kravitz and Eddie. It'll put your mind at ease......

Erik
07-09-2008, 05:40 PM

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2008/07/trades_are_offi_1.html

;)
ouch.

ABADays
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Hey! I recognize that guy!

juadam09
07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I read that blog this morning as well. Pretty harsh words......

dagrubbs
07-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Listen to JOB's interview from today's Kravitz and Eddie. It'll put your mind at ease......

do you know anywhere online where i can access the interviews from kravitz and eddie today?? I didnt see them up on the website.

MagicRat
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
do you know anywhere online where i can access the interviews from kravitz and eddie today?? I didnt see them up on the website.

They've been so good about posting their interviews that I just assumed they'd have it posted already. Hopefully they'll get it up soon......(twss)

JOB is always a good interview. Hibbert was good, too.

Edit- JMV's interviews with Larry Legend and Hibbert are on the front page of www.wnde.com

imawhat
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
They've been so good about posting their interviews that I just assumed they'd have it posted already. Hopefully they'll get it up soon......(twss)

JOB is always a good interview. Hibbert was good, too.

Edit- JMV's interviews with Larry Legend and Hibbert are on the front page of www.wnde.com

Those interviews were more interesting than in the past. It sounds like they are going to attempt salvaging something out of Jamaal.

Apparently he's working out, and trainers/medical staff have been evaluating him. Larry said he'd like to get Jamaal somewhere where he could be happy.

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Maybe that is why the press conference was pushed back to the 15th...

Maybe they have more to do and will announce it all next week.

I can only hope.

MagicRat
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM

Yesterday's interviews with JOB and Roy Hibbert now up at:

http://www.1070thefan.com/kravitzandeddie/podcast.aspx

Eindar
07-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Why is anyone surprised that Tinsley put on weight when he had a bum wheel? He's been doing that for years, and it's the main reason his performance always tails off once he gets injured for the first time every year. He comes into camp in good shape, starts off the year great, then he'll get an injury. Instead of rehabbing, he sits on the couch and waits to get healthy. It's what he does. So his injuries always take longer than normal to heal, and he always comes back out of shape, and so his performance suffers.

I don't think there's any conspiracy here, it's just Jamaal being Jamaal. As soon as he's healthy, he'll go from eating chicken strips to salmon and green beans, start running and lifting weights, and start losing weight.

count55
07-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Everytime I see this thread title, I think "trapezoidal".