View Full Version : Duhon agrees to sign with NY

Jose Slaughter
07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=431071

Knicks, Chris Duhon agree to 2-year deal

Posted: July 4, 2008
Sean Deveney
Sporting News

After four years with the Bulls, point guard Chris Duhon is moving on, verbally agreeing to a deal with the Knicks on Friday, according to Duhon and his agent, Kevin Bradbury.

Bradbury could not comment on the terms of the deal. But a source said it was a major commitment on the part of the Knicks -- a two-year deal starting at the full mid-level exception. The value of the mid-level exception will be announced on July 9 (when contracts can officially be signed) but it's expected to be about $5.8 million, making Duhon's total contract worth around $12 million.

"I am just excited, I am ready to get to work for the Knicks," Duhon said. "It's a big stage, playing in New York. It's something every player in the NBA wants."

Duhon met with the Knicks on the first day of free agency. Making Duhon their first free-agent meeting was a clear indication that the new Knicks brass -- general manager Donnie Walsh and coach Mike D'Antoni -- was committed to making him their point guard. Duhon also met with the Magic on Wednesday, and was receiving interest from other teams. But the Knicks' willingness to offer their full mid-level slot showed they wanted Duhon.

"Chris could have shopped himself around more, but in the end, he wanted a fit where he felt comfortable and he knew what kind of opportunity he would be getting," Bradbury said. "He wasn't worried about trying to find more money on the market or anything like that. He wanted the right situation, and this just felt like the right situation."

The Knicks surely need Duhon, the best point guard now available on the unrestricted free-agent market. The team is expected to release point guard Stephon Marbury this summer. Even with Marbury, New York ranked last in the league in assists, and ranked 27th in 3-point shooting (33.7 percent).

Duhon averaged 6.9 points in his career with Chicago, but was mostly asked to be a defender and a ball distributor, taking open 3-pointers when they presented themselves. He averaged 4.5 assists in his Bulls career, against just 1.37 turnovers. More than half his shots with Chicago were 3s, and he made 35.6 percent of them.

Duhon had been liked by ex-Bulls coach Scott Skiles, who plugged him into various roles throughout his Chicago career. Typically, the team would try to make undersized guard Ben Gordon a starter early in the year, then give up on that idea, moving Gordon back to the bench in favor of Duhon's height and better defense. Duhon played 300 games for the Bulls, and 159 of them as a starter.

The opportunity to play for D'Antoni, maestro of the Suns' up-tempo offense before coming to the Knicks, was a major appeal for Duhon. "You know he is going to want to run and push the ball," Duhon said. "I feel, with the opportunity, I can do that. Really, I can't wait to get started."

He'll be starting on a long, daunting road, of course. The Knicks haven't finished over .500 since their magical Finals run in 2001. But the team drafted highly regarded forward Danilo Gallinari last week, and now, Walsh and D'Antoni are hoping that Duhon can play a key role in getting the team back into postseason contention.

JayRedd
07-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Bye bye, Starbury.

And, geez, I wish money was no concern for our owners too. Donnie is gonna like this job.

Justin Tyme
07-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Two reasons Duhon went to the Knicks:

1) He followed the money, even thou it was just for 2 years.
2) He will be the Knicks starter where he would have been Nelson's b/u at Orlando.

Sandman21
07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
He'll be starting on a long, daunting road, of course. The Knicks haven't finished over .500 since their magical Finals run in 2001.

What BizzaroWorld is this guy from?:D

Kegboy
07-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Two reasons Duhon went to the Knicks:

1) He followed the money, even thou it was just for 2 years.
2) He will be the Knicks starter where he would have been Nelson's b/u at Orlando.

3) Most clubs per square mile in continental United States. Miami might have better quality, but Chris is a quantity kind of guy.

idioteque
07-04-2008, 11:53 PM
He may have followed the money but he would have gotten 4x the money and years two years ago.

grace
07-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Top 100+ reasons Duhon went to the Knicks:

1-100) Most clubs per square mile in continental United States. Miami might have better quality, but Chris is a quantity kind of guy.
101) He followed the money, even thou it was just for 2 years.
102) He will be the Knicks starter where he would have been Nelson's b/u at Orlando

Fixed. :)

ifoK
07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
He may have followed the money but he would have gotten 4x the money and years two years ago.

What?

Duhon is hot garbage. Always has been, regardless of what anyone around here may have said. Career 6.9 ppg, 4.5 apg, 38.7% shooting. He's almost Travis Diener-level bad.

robocop's cousin
07-05-2008, 06:11 PM
woo

Noodle
07-05-2008, 08:17 PM
woo

Aren't you the guy who posted "Pete Campbell Cut" without a link. Need I say more. Duhon is a typical DW signing. Yes he is a Diener level player. Diener is better offensively, but Duhon plays a little D. I hope they truly don't think Duhon is a starter. Good to see DW is jacking things up elsewhere.

McKeyFan
07-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about Duhon.

If Donnie thinks he'll be a quality starter for them, that lowers my view of Walsh.

Arcadian
07-06-2008, 01:19 AM
What he just got the the best free agent point guard to sign for two years and it is a bad thing? People realize Donnie's main concern is clearing cap space for James.

And Duhon is way better than Travis. Not even close.

Justin Tyme
07-06-2008, 08:38 AM
What he just got the the best free agent point guard to sign for two years and it is a bad thing? People realize Donnie's main concern is clearing cap space for James.

And Duhon is way better than Travis. Not even close.

Agreed on all statements.

Walsh's mo hasn't changed in the least going to NY... still over pays players. At least, he has an owner where he can easily get away with it in Dolan.

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Full exception's too much - then again, it's for 2 years so at least it isn't for too long.

Figure Marbury still starts. Duhon isn't a starter in this league but he can give 20 mpg and a guy with his assist:TO ratio isn't complete garbage.

Beats the heck out of signing Jerome James.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Full exception's too much - then again, it's for 2 years so at least it isn't for too long.

Figure Marbury still starts. Duhon isn't a starter in this league but he can give 20 mpg and a guy with his assist:TO ratio isn't complete garbage.

Beats the heck out of signing Jerome James.

I was under the impression Duhon was going to be the starting PG. If not, then 5.5 mil is way too much money for a non-starter PG like Duhon, no matter even if it's for 2 years. But then we are only discussing Dolan's money, and the Knicks propensity to over pay for players. I bet Walsh loves the freedom he has to spent Dolan's money.

It would be intereting to know how much of Dolan's money has been spent on buying out players the last 4-5 years.

DisplacedKnick
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I was under the impression Duhon was going to be the starting PG. If not, then 5.5 mil is way too much money for a non-starter PG like Duhon, no matter even if it's for 2 years. But then we are only discussing Dolan's money, and the Knicks propensity to over pay for players. I bet Walsh loves the freedom he has to spent Dolan's money.

It would be intereting to know how much of Dolan's money has been spent on buying out players the last 4-5 years.

I think Duhon gives NY the option of buying Marbury out if he's in the middle of team problems like he was last year (though from what I've heard, Isiah caused most of that). But I think the plan's still to have Marbury start, then have his salary come off the books at the end of the season. Actually I should say that would be my plan - not sure what DW has in mind even though, as usual, the NY press thinks they know - it's just that what they know is usually wrong.

DW could even use him as a mid-season trade. He keeps talking about having cap space the summer of 2010 but that still depends on Randolph being traded. With Marbury as a monster expiring he may get something back worth forgetting about trying to be a FA player two years from now - I think the chances of luring Lebron to NY is pretty slim anyway. I have a lot of concerns about Wade and Bosh just isn't THAT good.

rexnom
07-07-2008, 10:01 AM
I think Duhon gives NY the option of buying Marbury out if he's in the middle of team problems like he was last year (though from what I've heard, Isiah caused most of that). But I think the plan's still to have Marbury start, then have his salary come off the books at the end of the season. Actually I should say that would be my plan - not sure what DW has in mind even though, as usual, the NY press thinks they know - it's just that what they know is usually wrong.

DW could even use him as a mid-season trade. He keeps talking about having cap space the summer of 2010 but that still depends on Randolph being traded. With Marbury as a monster expiring he may get something back worth forgetting about trying to be a FA player two years from now - I think the chances of luring Lebron to NY is pretty slim anyway. I have a lot of concerns about Wade and Bosh just isn't THAT good.
No he won't. I can guarantee that.