PDA

View Full Version : Williams speaks out on Bird criticism

GrangerRanger
07-03-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080703/SPORTS04/80703048

--------------------------------

Shawne Williams said he wants to remain a Pacer and harbors no hard feelings toward Larry Bird after the team president's recent strong comments about him.

Bird said June 24 that the Pacers would trade Williams if they could get enough in return, adding that if the second-year forward remained with the team he would be on "very thin ice."
Advertisement

"I just hope the thin ice don't break," Williams said this afternoon after the first workout of the Pacers rookie and free agent camp. "I'm going to do everything in my power to keep it thin and try to thicken it up a little bit."

In February, a man wanted on a murder charge in Memphis, Tenn., was arrested after leaving Williams' home in a vehicle registered to Williams. The same person was with Williams when the Pacer was stopped for driving without a license on Sept. 11, 2007. The man, Gary Ian Bohannon, was found guilty of marijuana possession from that traffic stop.

Williams, who played college basketball at Memphis, said he understood Bird's comments.

"He's got a job to do, and I've got a job to do. I didn't lose no respect for Larry," Williams said. "He's just doing his job. And he's right."

GrangerRanger
07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Erm..

Just noticed this was posted in the other thread. Sorry guys.

Gamble1
07-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Atleast he is smart enough to say the right thing.

I hope Shawne surrounds himself with better people.

Ramitt
07-03-2008, 06:05 PM
. And he's right."
I hope he means that and takes it to heart. So far he is guilty of bad decisions, but nothing to the degree that he can not rehab is image. Saying the right things and be humble in the face of strong criticism does speak well for him.

Shade
07-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I've been saying from the beginning that Shawne is a good guy that just happened to be mixed up with bad people. It's up to him to break the ties at this point, which I believe he will/has.

I very much want him to remain a Pacer.

maragin
07-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Good reply by Shawn. Would like to see him perform well here, or wherever he might get traded to.

JohnnyBGoode
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Has the thought, that Bird was saying this negative stuff about Williams to appease the disgruntled fan base, ever crossed any minds here? I think he wants to keep Williams, however he can't be percieved as wanting to keep him, therefore he slams him in the press.

Shade
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Has the thought, that Bird was saying this negative stuff about Williams to appease the disgruntled fan base, ever crossed any minds here? I think he wants to keep Williams, however he can't be percieved as wanting to keep him, therefore he slams him in the press.

Absofreakinlutely.

Ramitt
07-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Could be and makes a fair amount of sense.

juadam09
07-03-2008, 11:06 PM

To a point, maybe. In the same breath you have to assume that your fan base is not stupid and they realize that talk is cheap. My personal opinion is Bird likes Williams the player. He isn't so fond on Williams the man or the decisions he has made. That said, if any one is willing to give a player a second chance I would think it would be Larry Bird.

I do think PR plays into things a lot, but I dont think Larry would make comments like this just for the sake of PR. Did he make them harsher then he would have had we not had off the court problems in the past? Personally I think so. I know I was shocked when I saw how blunt the comments were.

By the same token I think it also shows how much Bird beleioved in Williams. One of the hardest things I had to learn was the more a person (be it a track coach or a movie director) beleives in you the harsher and more blunt they can become. This can be hard to deal with at times be so far Williams has done a good job handling himself. I hope he does turn himself around, be it with us or with another franchise if we get a offer we cant refuse.

count55
07-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Occam's razor:

I think Bird just says what he says. I don't think he has either the personality or the guile to shape a message or spin perceptions. It seems to me that he said "Shawne's on thin ice" because that's what the answer to the question was. I do believe he likes Shawne's talent, and I do believe that he thinks Shawne's running out of chances.

I find it a little surprising that we continue to seek sophisticated, manipulative, and highly nuance reasoning for Bird's statements, when the simplest, most obvious answer is that he's just speaking what he believes to be true without any particular varnish on it.

I mean, anybody who watched Bird stumble through that Stuart Scott interview Draft Night could plainly see that Larry's not what you'd call an Spin Master.

avoidingtheclowns
07-03-2008, 11:31 PM
I mean, anybody who watched Bird stumble through that Stuart Scott interview Draft Night could plainly see that Larry's not what you'd call an Spin Master.

then he's got you right where he wants you...

MagicRat
07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Here's Shawne on the tonight's evening news......

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/ShawneCh137-3.wmv (http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ShawneCh137-3.wmv)

It's a fairly large file. You can also find a streaming version on wthr.com

count55
07-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I think, ultimately, all he needed to say when he was asked was, "He's right".

He did that...now he needs to deliver. I don't need any proclamations on how he's changed his life...I just need to see him working hard on the court and staying on the Sports page of the Star.

As I've said in others, I don't think he's an innocent, but I don't think he's nefarious either. He's got a lot of talent, and I'm hopeful he can still be a productive member for the Pacers, on and off the court.

Taterhead
07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
The more I think about it, I don't think Bird necessarily wants to move Williams. I think he feels they let guys go too far in the past before putting the foot down and we have paid dearly for it. So it is kind of a pre-emptive tactic he is using to see how Shawne responds to it, which will make it easier for him to decide what exactly to do with him this summer.

And I think Williams has passed the test so far. We are due for one of these guys to actually turn it around, and Williams has the talent to make it a big payoff in the next few years.

Hicks
07-04-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm very happy with his answer. Hopefully he's speaking honestly. I suspect he is.

count55
07-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Some additional quotes from the Star this morning. (http://http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080704/SPORTS04/807040415/1004/SPORTS)

The 17th pick in the 2006 draft, Williams said he has tried to streamline his life to playing basketball, working out and going home, away from trouble. He said he no longer associates with some people in his life, even relatives.

"It's hard to cut family out because that's your blood, but some things, you've just go to do. You have to make some sacrifices," said Williams, a 6-9 forward who averaged 6.7 points and 2.7 rebounds last season.

"I feel like, if family members and people around you love you and want you to succeed, they'll step back after so much."

Williams said he realizes his off-court situations contributed to the Pacers' public relations problems, but he hopes to be a part of rebuilding the image and production of a team that missed the playoffs the past two years.

Asked how he thinks he's viewed, Williams said, "I don't know. I feel like I still have fans cheering for me when I come out (on the court). I'm not getting booed.

"I feel like I earned the fans back a little bit. I just have to stay out of trouble and keep a clean nose."

I posted this in both threads...still hopeful for this guy.

BlueNGold
07-04-2008, 07:43 AM
...so, his family members need to step back? That just sounds messed up. I guess it is what it is.

The fortunate thing is, the decision to resign him is not immediate. When it does happen, a short term deal should be the goal unless it is abundantly clear this guy has put his past behind him.

BTW, if he did not have so much talent, he would be on much, much thinner ice...

count55
07-04-2008, 08:01 AM
...so, his family members need to step back? That just sounds messed up. I guess it is what it is.

The fortunate thing is, the decision to resign him is not immediate. When it does happen, a short term deal should be the goal unless it is abundantly clear this guy has put his past behind him.

BTW, if he did not have so much talent, he would be on much, much thinner ice...

We can still pick up his 4th year option, so we don't have to make any long term decisions until the summer of 2010.

MillerTime
07-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Its good that Williams can recognize that hes on thin ice and needs to smarten up. Hes a really good ball player. Its really hard to find a 6'9" swingman that is as versitile as him. Another area of his that is underrated is his defence. No one really appreciates Shawne's defensive intensity. Lets all hope he can come off the bench next season and contribute. I dont see him as a starter next season (unless Dunleavy is traded; B. Rush wont start yet, he'll be coming off the bench). He can shoot the 3 and hes a good slasher. He has all the mechanics for a good player, he just need to keep his head in the game

ENw_P83fyf4

Tom White
07-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't think he's nefarious either.

I thought Nefarious was an Egyptian pharaoh. No?

Thanks for posting the Star article. That is exactly what I wanted to hear from Williams. Now if he just backs it up, he's taken a huge step.

Hicks
07-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for that video, MillerTime. I forgot how well Shawne can throw it down sometimes!

And when it showed a couple of layups, I was reminded at how in control his body is as he glides in. Smooth.

Infinite MAN_force
07-04-2008, 11:15 AM

I have been saying this since he made the "thin ice" statement.

In fact, I have been half expecting the postitive shawne PR piece to show up in the star. It came a little sooner than I expected, but I am satisfied.

Bird had high hopes for shawne when he drafted him, and I don't think he is ready to give up on him just yet.

Oneal07
07-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I hope he stays, I was to see him dunk on many people in the future

McKeyFan
07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for that video, MillerTime. I forgot how well Shawne can throw it down sometimes!

And when it showed a couple of layups, I was reminded at how in control his body is as he glides in. Smooth.

Acknowledged. (And I like Shawne.)

But now for the glass half empty.

Threes and dunks. Threes and dunks. We have too many players whose only moves are threes and dunks.

Dun and Murph have a couple of moves. Not many. Hopefully TJ Ford will really help on this matter of the Moveless Pacers.

rexnom
07-04-2008, 12:38 PM
TJ Ford is going to love Shawne.

MillerTime
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM

no problem...just wanted to remind everyone of his potential. Bird knew what he was doing when he drafted him (and everyone was stunned that we passed on Marcus Williams). Lets just all hope that he keeps out of trouble and can have a break out year. Im really excited to see how we do next season. We finally have a new starting PG (after sooo many years), and a great backup. Time to work on our front line now. Carl Landry would be a good PF off the bench that we can sign for pretty cheap...definately not a starter though. Once Rush's get comfortable with the league, Shanwe will be a good 6th man

Anthem
07-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I didn't see any post moves there. I'll be interested in seeing if he actually has them.

I'll also be interested in seeing a Shawne/Granger/Rush 4/3/2 this year, to see if it works offensively. Defensively I think it works pretty well, unless the 4 is an absolute bruiser.

NuffSaid
07-05-2008, 12:00 AM
The more I think about it, I don't think Bird necessarily wants to move Williams. I think he feels they let guys go too far in the past before putting the foot down and we have paid dearly for it. So it is kind of a pre-emptive tactic he is using to see how Shawne responds to it, which will make it easier for him to decide what exactly to do with him this summer.

And I think Williams has passed the test so far. We are due for one of these guys to actually turn it around, and Williams has the talent to make it a big payoff in the next few years.
I couldn't agree more.

imawhat
07-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but Larry is a man of his word. Hopefully other teams haven't seen a lot of Shawne's game and therefore wouldn't be interested.

Naptown_Seth
07-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I've been saying from the beginning that Shawne is a good guy that just happened to be mixed up with bad people. It's up to him to break the ties at this point, which I believe he will/has.

I very much want him to remain a Pacer.
I agree. This is why I had that "don't trade Shawne" thread going last year. When you see him dial it in he looks clearly more talented in those moments than Danny. Seriously.

Now I agree that his game is even greener than Danny's, but it's not like Granger hasn't been developing slowly (thus the comparisons to Pippen who also made slow, steady strides). This idea that Shawne is nothing is just wrong. He goes to the rim smoother than anyone on the team on a break, he's got that silky jumper and he's got solid all-around athletic ability.

He's a kid even still and has spent more time with these tough guys in his life than away from them. The team needs to build a positive college-like atmosphere so these guys can see an alternate lifestyle to what they are used to. Most people are more than happy to live a safe, smart way if only they know what that means.

What seems obvious to one person is totally foreign to another, but that doesn't mean they aren't open to that new lifestyle if it's presented to them.

Naptown_Seth
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
I didn't see any post moves there. I'll be interested in seeing if he actually has them.

I'll also be interested in seeing a Shawne/Granger/Rush 4/3/2 this year, to see if it works offensively. Defensively I think it works pretty well, unless the 4 is an absolute bruiser.
And Shawne gets out on the break so well that he could run a bruiser into the ground the other way, tit for tat. It does make me wish they could get Love for those outlet passes even on makes.