PDA

View Full Version : TJ Ford was on 1070

CompACE
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Basically a completely uninformative interview, but here it is anyways:

http://media.1070thefan.com/podcasts/080703_ford.mp3

duke dynamite
07-03-2008, 06:07 PM
What are we supposed to talk about if it's uninformitive?

Roaming Gnome
07-03-2008, 06:55 PM
I haven't listened to the interview, but I know that Eddie White is such a poor interviewer that I'm not suprised that this interview is "completely uninformative."

Look, Bob Kravitz isn't that bad on that show, IMO. I just can't take that Eddie White guy, he is such a f**king tool. His FM radio voice schtick has all just totally worn me out on listening to any part of them. It sucks because it seems like they may get the better of the interviews and guest, but I can't tolerate Eddie White long enough to listen to whomever they are interviewing.

The Unknown
07-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Bland interview, but T.J. sounds like an intelligent, personable guy.

duke dynamite
07-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I haven't listened to the interview, but I know that Eddie White is such a poor interviewer that I'm not suprised that this interview is "completely uninformative."

Look, Bob Kravitz isn't that bad on that show, IMO. I just can't take that Eddie White guy, he is such a f**king tool. His FM radio voice schtick has all just totally worn me out on listening to any part of them. It sucks because it seems like they may get the better of the interviews and guest, but I can't tolerate Eddie White long enough to listen to whomever they are interviewing.
Epecially when he thinks he's a rapper.

The Unknown
07-03-2008, 08:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzCYvZpvqKc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzCYvZpvqKc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

When's the last time the NBA had a 6-footer that could get up like T.J. can?

duke dynamite
07-03-2008, 09:13 PM
<OBJECT height=344 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzCYvZpvqKc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT></P>

Hurry up July 9th!

OMG, nice hip-hop to that video.

wintermute
07-03-2008, 09:35 PM
short interview. a bit bland, yeah. tj says all the right things. when asked how he feels about being the presumptive starter, he just said that he feels his role is to just come in, make plays, make other guys better.

on how he feels about being brought in to set the standard for good behavior, he just said that the dynamics of a team are complicated and that he'll just try to fit in and help in any way.

also he expects to be working out in houston for most of the summer. he doesn't expect to be in indy until september, other than for the media session presumably.

Anthem
07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
also he expects to be working out in houston for most of the summer. he doesn't expect to be in indy until september, other than for the media session presumably.
Hey, guys came out of the woodwork to criticize Jermaine and Tinsley for not spending summers in Indy... is nobody going to complain about this?

I'm not, but then I'm not in the majority on this board.

count55
07-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey, guys came out of the woodwork to criticize Jermaine and Tinsley for not spending summers in Indy... is nobody going to complain about this?

I'm not, but then I'm not in the majority on this board.

Well, most of my house is drywalled.

I really couldn't give two good ****s where these guys spend their summers, as long as they show up on time and in shape, and preferrably, with no wants or warrants.

EDIT: I forget...were you pro- or con- on the Toronto trade?

Anthem
07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
EDIT: I forget...were you pro- or con- on the Toronto trade?
I was meh. I found it humorous that both teams claimed they did it for cap reasons. I personally thought we'd be better off waiting it out, but I'm not sad to move on to the post-Jermaine era. I wasn't thrilled about getting a #17 pick, although Hibby makes me hopeful. TJ Ford is nice, but I'm scared of acquiring guys with injury problems. I worry that he'll step inside Conseco and immediately have his back shatter into a million pieces. While I don't see it as the insanely good deal that some others do, I'd say that overall I view the trade as a good thing.

EDIT: That said, I liked Jermaine and think some of the piling on from this board is disgraceful.

count55
07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
I was meh. I found it humorous that both teams claimed they did it for cap reasons. I personally thought we'd be better off waiting it out, but I'm not sad to move on to the post-Jermaine era. I wasn't thrilled about getting a #17 pick, although Hibby makes me hopeful. TJ Ford is nice, but I'm scared of acquiring guys with injury problems. I worry that he'll step inside Conseco and immediately have his back shatter into a million pieces. While I don't see it as the insanely good deal that some others do, I'd say that overall I view the trade as a good thing.

EDIT: That said, I liked Jermaine and think some of the piling on from this board is disgraceful.

Not just on this board, the piling on always happens, and it's always disgraceful. After Danny signs his extension this summer, people will start sharpening their knives to work on him. My brother used to say that the players and the coaches spend all of their time trying to create a team, while the fans and the media spend all of their time trying to tear it apart.

It will be interesting to see who will become the whipping boy this year.

NapTonius Monk
07-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Not just on this board, the piling on always happens, and it's always disgraceful. After Danny signs his extension this summer, people will start sharpening their knives to work on him. My brother used to say that the players and the coaches spend all of their time trying to create a team, while the fans and the media spend all of their time trying to tear it apart.

It will be interesting to see who will become the whipping boy this year.

If Dunleavy falters a little, then him. If Troy falters a little, then him. If Shawne falters...oh, you get the point.

MillerTime
07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzCYvZpvqKc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzCYvZpvqKc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nate robinson? spudd webb?

Trader Joe
07-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Bland interview, but T.J. sounds like an intelligent, personable guy.

What'd he get banned for?

joeshmoe
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for posting that, I've seen it before, but it had been a while. After studying the video intently what stood out to me was that TJ is...well...quick in fact he is too, too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick, too too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick too, too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick, too too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick too, too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick, too too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick too, too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick, too too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick too, too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick, too too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick too, too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick, too too too too too quick, quick quick quick quick quick quick

Here is a new mix, a Toronto Tribute Mix to TJ that some of ya'll may not have seen:

Tribut Mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt41CVP0smI)

Edit: Here's another new one I hadn't seen:

2007-08 TJ Highlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqFD86ZnWs#)

TJ Game Time Productions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85KZJ9Q-Oq0#)

TJ First Game Back from Injury (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I30afSbh0hM&feature=related)

Hicks
07-04-2008, 05:24 PM
What'd he get banned for?

Kofi FTW

Naptown_Seth
07-05-2008, 02:29 PM

I'm with you. Whatever happened to someone like JO just being mildly disappointing. I hate the black and white painting of players that goes on. I mean I'm really down on Tinsley now but it took years and year of really obnoxious stuff to get me that way.

JO took a lot of beef that wasn't deserved. The trade is a wash, like most good trades are. Bayless-Rush/Jack is too. The only reason I'd want Ford in Indy more is because they have so many new guys and you'd like to see them get familiar with each other, even if they can't have formal practices with JOB around.

I love Indy, so if I was a player taken by another team I might still want to hang in Indy at times to workout. I get that. And these guys want to hang with some known quantities as well, places and people that are part of a comfortable workout situation. As long as you make good on it, as long as that situation does get you in shape and ready to go then there should be no problems.

Then again seeing Foster working out randomly in the summer at Conseco is cool too.

By the way Count, I've both praised Danny (next Pippen, still see that in him) and gotten on him (very mistake prone, terrible +/-) at the same time. I'm certain I'll be criticizing him this year, and praising him too. So when you see the negatives from me at least, know that I want DG to be in Indy for the long haul regardless.

There is criticism and then there's piling on and scapegoating. I'm fine with criticism as long as the praise gets equal or more play. The problem is that things start to be all negative with some players.

rexnom
07-05-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm excited for the TJ Ford era.

JayRedd
07-05-2008, 03:56 PM

Oud8xucJT5o

CV6Y0OcMJ7o

ph35BzTRJ9o

rexnom
07-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, to be fair, Chris Paul is God.

count55
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
By the way Count, I've both praised Danny (next Pippen, still see that in him) and gotten on him (very mistake prone, terrible +/-) at the same time. I'm certain I'll be criticizing him this year, and praising him too. So when you see the negatives from me at least, know that I want DG to be in Indy for the long haul regardless.

There is criticism and then there's piling on and scapegoating. I'm fine with criticism as long as the praise gets equal or more play. The problem is that things start to be all negative with some players.

I had to re-read what I wrote, so...

Danny will earn both praise and criticism. It's appropriate. Hell, I'm pretty sure I criticized Reggie periodically throughout his career. The point I was trying to make is similar to what you're making. Some people identify with the team through individuals, either positively or negatively. This creates fanboys and detractors.

With Jamaal and JO out of the way, I was merely speculating that Danny would become the object of this class of posters' obsession. He will either do no wrong or do no right in some people eyes. What's worse is that this behavior is somewhat contagious. Normally reasonable fans take exception to either a ridiculously positive or ridiculous negative post on Danny, then get drawn into the argument. By natural reaction, they start heading towards the opposite pole, in a combination of hoping to balance discussion and just pure self defense. Eventually, the original detractor (or fanboy) has created his opposite, a new fanboy (or detractor).

The sad part is these new vampires aren't primarily concerned with Danny (or JO or Jamaal or SJax or Artest or Bird or Carlisle). Nope. There purpose is to oppose their sire. The players become almost collateral damage to the shooting war. Eventually, Danny is just the battlefield.

So, I don't presume to say that Danny shouldn't be criticized. I like him a lot, but he's got flaws that should be acknowledged. I was simply pointing out that Danny is most likely the next target for the piling on (as well as abject sycophancy) now that the roster is changing.

ifoK
07-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Oud8xucJT5o

CV6Y0OcMJ7o

ph35BzTRJ9o

The question asked for the last 6-footer that could get up like T.J. can, not a list of 6-footers who can dunk. There was some mildly impressive stuff in your videos, but none can match the things Ford showed in the earlier clip. Chris Paul is a great player, but dunking on an 8' rim doesn't really impress us knowledgeable basketball fan. Those of us who understand the game beyond Sportscenter highlights. Of course JayRedd has developed "Michael Jordan Syndrome" with Chris Paul. Basically, the answer to any question which begins with "Who's the best ______ in the NBA" is always Chris Paul.

Example....

"Who's the best shot blocker in the NBA?" JayRedd, "Chris Paul"

"Who's the best Super Mario Brothers player in the NBA?" JayRedd - "Chris Paul"

"Who's the best white center in the NBA?" - JayRedd - "Chris Paul"

You get the picture.

By the way, here's a couple of neat facts....

T.J. Ford is the only freshman in NCAA history to lead the nation in assists. He followed that up by winning National Player of the Year honors and leading Texas to the NCAA Final Four as a sophomore. And despite playing on two mediocre franchises im Milwaukee and Toronto, Ford has never missed the playoffs in his career. Basically, T.J. Ford is what Chris Paul would be if Chris Paul weren't a career loser (2 of 3 NBA seasons have ended in the lottery, never lead a talented Wake Forest team past the Sweet 16).

imawhat
07-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Do we have TJ's draft measurements? After watching these videos, I'm dying to know his vertical. He has to be near 40, because his head's close to the rim on one of those.

Btw, I've loved TJ Ford since college. I think he's extremely tough, despite the neck problems. I actually think it shows how fearless he is to come back and play twice after incidents (not including college). I'd be thinking twice about it if paralysis/death was very possible.

He'll instantly become the quickest Pacer of all time. And barring injury, I expect him to have a career year.

joeshmoe
07-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Do we have TJ's draft measurements?

I know DraftExpress.com has it. I looked briefly but could not find it.

imawhat
07-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Max Vert=39.5"

JayRedd
07-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Chris Paul = 38"

Also...yes, he is clearly the best shotblocker in the League.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/measurements.php?year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&sort=9

Dr. Goldfoot
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
He'll instantly become the quickest Pacer of all time.

Tyus Edney

imawhat
07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Tyus Edney

I'm not sure Edney was the second quickest player on that team. I thought Travis was quicker, but by all accounts, it was Jeff Foster.

2minutes twowa
07-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Totally agree. I like 1070 The Fan, and Kravitz isn't bad, but Eddie is way too annoying. I'll stick with The Drive and JMV.

Naptown_Seth
07-08-2008, 12:53 AM
With Jamaal and JO out of the way, I was merely speculating that Danny would become the object of this class of posters' obsession.
Yeah, I think many of us actually agree with this. I mean year after year we joke about who the next scapegoat will be when person X is run out of town (Ron, Jack, Rick, JO, Tins...). IMO Jack wasn't a problem and the W-L proved that. Rick wasn't the problem either and last year proved that.

The health of JO and the attitude of Tinsley have been the major problems the last 3 years, and Ron's stunts were as well. Otherwise it's been a lot of little things from different sources all adding up.

Tins has earned it. That PHX game and the accounting of it by Kravitz (the film room blow up) was a last nail, much like Ron turning on the fans and team that supported him. OTOH JO didn't earn it. He came back from injuries, he adjusted his game, he made team plays (charges, blocks, increased assists) in an attempt to do the right thing. Overpaid, overhurt, whatever, at least he tried to be a Pacer.

Anthem
07-08-2008, 07:40 AM
the accounting of it by Kravitz (the film room blow up)
Don't think I ever read that.

Got a link?

Naptown_Seth
07-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Don't think I ever read that.

Got a link?
Unfortunately it was on the radio show. I think I mentioned it in another thread, or maybe it was at the draft party. Basically he and Eddie are talking about Tins and Eddie asks Bob why they stuck with Tins or what the situation is, etc.

Bob explains that JOB really thought he could reach him, and they comment on coaches always thinking that. Bob goes on to say that they were doing great together until A film session (doesn't specify PHX, but come on) got ugly around mid-season. That cracked it between JOB and Tins he says, and that Tins then checked out basically.

Remember that there was Jackson for no apparent benefit other than to "get the Pacers" :rolleyes: "lying" about Tinsley being suspended. Around that time I recall Bob making supportive comments about Jack (in general, not that comment specifically) which frankly surprised me.

I add it up to mean that Bob knew about the film session, that Tins had been suspended, and that Jack mentioned it because he knew and thought everyone else did too, rather than that he was bizarrely vindictive. Certainly from the outside we can see a break that meshes with this other info.

I think Bob's OPINIONS on the NBA are crackpot at times, but he does have inside info so when he talks about things like they are facts I do believe them. And he wasn't saying "I think something happened", he was talking like he knew it did.

This was pre-draft, maybe by a week roughly. Not sure what kind of archive stuff they have. Heck, they might be willing to mention it again if someone emails them. If he talked openly then maybe he feels comfortable doing it again.

Speed
07-08-2008, 12:08 PM
I heard it too. That about covers it. It might have been the same time where Bird told someone Tinsley was gone because he won't rehab his knee and Marquis would stay because his expiring contract was how he was going to pay Danny Granger next year. The Marquis thing probably has changed now with the trades, though.

Unclebuck
07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Seth, I have posted similar thoughts and really think it is as clear as day what happened between OB and JT - no doubt in my mind it was the Suns game - the film session after that