PDA

View Full Version : Good read on Campbell

pianoman
07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080703/SPORTS/807030332/1006

Yorktown's Campbell one step away from making Pacers' summer roster

It certainly has a ring to it. Indiana Pacer Pete Campbell.
That title is a long way from becoming reality, but the Yorktown graduate and former Butler University basketball standout is preparing to take a necessary step toward making it so.

Campbell is one of 15 players set to participate in the Pacers rookie/free agent camp that will begin today and last until Sunday. Campbell was invited by the Pacers after impressing the team in a previous tryout on June 23.

After this week's camp, Indiana will announce its summer league roster. If Campbell makes the cut, he'll play for the Pacers in Orlando, Fla., during NBA summer league action.

"I'm not going in with any expectations at this point," Campbell said. "I understand that the probability and likelihood of anyone making the NBA is very slim. That's for any player. At the same time, I do believe in my abilities to shoot the ball and to be someone that can come in during a situation and be called upon to make a shot. It's something that if they want to give me a shot, I would be gracious and obviously I would try to capitalize on it."

In two seasons at Butler, Campbell became nationally known as a sharp-shooter. He holds single-season records for 3-point field goal percentage (.519) and career 3-point field goal shooting (.483) at Butler. He ranks sixth on the Bulldog's all-time list for 3-point field goals made (183).

One of the biggest public knocks on the Pacers this offseason has been the team's need for a pure shooter. Campbell, who played one year at IPFW before transferring to Butler, said he thinks he can bring those same hot hands to the NBA.

"Do I think I could come in and do that for the Pacers or any team? I do," he said. "But the NBA requires some luck and getting the right opportunity at the right time to make your mark and show somebody that you can do it at that level."

Campbell admits his hot shooting alone will not land him on an NBA roster.

His athleticism, strength and mobility are the biggest concerns for scouts. So the 6-foot, 7-inch forward has worked on improving in all areas since his senior season at Butler concluded by regularly working out at Ed Schilling's Champions Academy in Whitestown, Ind.

"I'm not saying I have a 42-inch vertical and that I can (defensively) shut down anybody now," Campbell said with a laugh. "But I have increased my mobility and my movement is better. Some of that stuff will continue to get better and develop as I mature over the next few years."

If this week's tryout with the Pacers doesn't work out, basketball will be part of Campbell's future. Already the former Yorktown Tiger has signed a preliminary contract with a professional team in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Ultimately, though, he'd much prefer to have that title of "Indiana Pacer" in front of his name.

"The opportunity to stay in Indiana and stay in Indianapolis would be awesome," he said. "It would be such an ideal situation. I couldn't draw it up any better."

__________________________________________________ ______________
sounds like a pretty good kid

rexnom
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Hmm...I'm pulling for the guy. If we didn't already have that many guys on the team, I'd like for someone who likes playing here and can shoot to be a 13th-15th man.

Young
07-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Hmm...I'm pulling for the guy. If we didn't already have that many guys on the team, I'd like for someone who likes playing here and can shoot to be a 13th-15th man.

That's the thing though we already have so many guys unless we make a trade or two that cuts down our roster I don't see any room for any of these guys to make the team no matter how well they play.