PDA

View Full Version : Maceo Baston

Raskolnikov
07-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Didn't really know where to post this, so I thought I'd start a thread about him too.

Do you think he'll be on our roster when the season starts? I really like Maceo's game - smart player, knows exactly what's expected from him when he's on the court - and wouldn't mind him being our back-up at the 4. How many minutes he actually plays will then depend on how good our starting 4 is...right now, I'd say 15 to 20.

I see the Raps almost didn't use him last year: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maceo_baston/. Also wondering if he himself is in the mood for a 2nd Pacer stint.

Ramitt
07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I think when your career is defined as a backup, you are happy with just having a stint.

Roaming Gnome
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I think when your career is defined as a backup, you are happy with just having a stint.

That is well said... I couldn't agree more

pizza guy
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I liked him in his first go 'round with us, and was glad to see him included in the deal. He's obviously not a world-beater, but he understands his role, and plays it well. He's a hustle guy, and doesn't ever make a show of anything. He's a solid bench player and I hope he gets some decent playing time.

avoidingtheclowns
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
he shot fairly well from behind the arc during his first time with the pacers (though he only shot 7 total) and plays decent defense (mostly effort) and he is 6'10" -- i can definitely see o'brien using him.

Raskolnikov
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Right, if you have the right attitude. And Maceo does I think.

Putnam
07-02-2008, 12:51 PM
He'll be a good guy to ask about the "then and now" diffrerences in the locker room and during practices.

I imagine he'll stick.

Rajah Brown
07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
My recollection of his play here is pretty vague. But from what little
I recall, he seems to fit better with O'B than with Carlisle.

Assuming he sticks, his ability to run and finish will come in handy
at times. On occasion, a lineup of say, Ford-Rush-DG-Baston and
Foster would be one that could really get up and down the floor
and would feature 3 guys at 2, 3 and 4 who can really run and
get things done at the rim.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 01:25 PM
My recollection of his play here is pretty vague. But from what little
I recall, he seems to fit better with O'B than with Carlisle.

Assuming he sticks, his ability to run and finish will come in handy
at times. On occasion, a lineup of say, Ford-Rush-DG-Baston and
Foster would be one that could really get up and down the floor
and would feature 3 guys at 2, 3 and 4 who can really run and
get things done at the rim.

I agree....because Baston is owed $1.96 mil...I think that he will be on the roster at the start of the season. If there is a buyout or player waived....it's McRoberts.

Besides....I think that Baston is the type of athletic Forward that I want on this team. I really hope that he is able to get some 9th/10th Man rotational minutes....I really think that he can help this team.

Speed
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I like Maceo, the one time I got sit in the Primo (not Brezec) seats, he came over and talked to the crowd, we had a little conversation. The guy was smiling and enjoying it. It was nice. I think the guy appreciated that he gets to do this for a living. I think he's a perfect 13-15 guy in the lockeroom.

Play wise, he can block some shots with his length and doesn't seem to hurt you out there. If there was ever anyone who could benefit from Obie's system, it's Maceo.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
^^^Good Story. Baston...along with Shawne, Foster and Granger....are one of the reasons why I would much rather "play it safe" and make no trades for a Backup PF ( assuming that there is a "no-brainer" trade that we can make ) this season.

I would much rather live with a PF rotation of Murphy, Foster, Shawne, Baston and ( if needed ) Granger ( at least for this season ) then make some move that could adversely affect our Financial situation next season....especially now that TPTB have to work out some Extension for Granger.

Unclebuck
07-02-2008, 01:42 PM
What I liked about Maceo was that he seemed like a very smart player and an excellent team defender - and Jim O'Brien likes those type of guys.

Pacers may lack quality at the 4 or 5, but they have quantity

Mourning
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I have liked Maceo since he played his first game. He gives you some energy, takes decent shots, rebounds a little, passes the ball when needed, but shoots when he is allowed and is what I would consider a smart player who compared to most other athletes is limited in talent, but even rarer also knows this and acts accordingly on the court. On top off all of that I think he's a true professional who probably realizes how lucky he is with his job.

I for one hope we really keep him. He was one of my favorite backups in his first time around and I have no doubt he will be that again.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Rajah Brown
07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
C-KC-

Totally with you. If at the trading deadline, there's a deal that screams
'make me', then great. Otherwise a year to digest all the changes,
see how things mesh, see if/how (assuming he stays) Williams grows
on and off the court, etc. makes alot of sense.

If nothing else, it's pretty tough to determine what we really need
from a starting PF until we see what we actually have in Hibbert at
C after a year to watch and of evaluate.

Mourning
07-02-2008, 01:54 PM
C-KC-

I'm on that wave length aswell. Let's first see what exactly we have and how much financial room we have after our obvious re-signings and IF we do a deal to strengthen or change the frontcourt then do it in february when you have most of your answers you wonder about now answered.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

BlueNGold
07-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I was never quite sure why we let Maceo go.

I always thought he was a smart, mature player and could bother people with his shotblocking. He also played within his abilities, shot a good FG% and FT%. I suspect he is a better fit for JOb's style too because he can get up and down the floor and dunk.

All in all, a good backup to have around.

Rajah Brown
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I recall last year watching us play, thinking back to O'B's Boston team
that reached the ECF, recalling how well Tony Battie fit at C in his
system and racking my brain trying to think of a guy we could get
our hands who had a similar skill-set (long, athletic, runs the
floor, defends, contests shots, boards, doesn't need the ball, but
can finish in the lane, etc.) to fill that role.

Now that we're discussing Baston, it occurs to me that he's pretty
similar to Battie. He might actually be a C in that 'fast' lineup. So,
Ford, Rush, DG, Williams and Baston.

Talk about a lineup that can run...!

Dr. Goldfoot
07-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I think Maceo is a pretty inconsequential part of the team, if he's even on the team come October.

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
C-KC-

If nothing else, it's pretty tough to determine what we really need
from a starting PF until we see what we actually have in Hibbert at
C after a year to watch and of evaluate.
I was agreeing with this view in the Carl Landry thread. The only reason I'd consider Landry would be as a long term answer that you wanted to get under contract now while you could.

But otherwise let's just see how this shakes out a little first, unless some holy crap deal is coming along. Dun for Magette to get a more true SG, something like that.

Baston is a quality player. He lacks the real size or strength to make a huge impact, but he's got energy and plays pretty smart. At the very least this looks to be a fun and interesting team to watch, win or lose.

I think Baston sticks and maybe McRoberts goes. Let's see how they fair in camp.

Indianapolis_girly
07-02-2008, 03:13 PM
I sure hope he can make the team.

He's a good character guy that takes any opportunites that come to him. He'd really work in the O'Brien system too.

diamonddave00
07-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I see Maceo Baston pretty much as Stephen Graham last season on the inactive list only activated when someone is ill or injured.

Last season he was healthy all season and played a total of 105 minutes for the season . At age 32 with 3 years NBA experience he has played 600 career minutes , he is nothing but a #14 or #15 man on an nba roster.

I'm not a Josh McRoberts fan but it seems giving minutes to a 21 year old who "might" have a future of some sort in the nba makes more sense than playing Baston. Maceo's role if he makes the team is to mentor the young players , I'm sure they will enjoy his stories of playing overseas.

BPump33
07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I So,
Ford, Rush, DG, Williams and Baston.

Talk about a lineup that can run...!

No kidding. I really hope we get to see that lineup at some point. It's also a pretty good defensive lineup. If the other team has a bruising type Center in we would have some problems, but we would be able to run him to death.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm not a Josh McRoberts fan but it seems giving minutes to a 21 year old who "might" have a future of some sort in the nba makes more sense than playing Baston. Maceo's role if he makes the team is to mentor the young players , I'm sure they will enjoy his stories of playing overseas.

I'm not sure he'll make the roster or if it makes sense to have him on the roster. But your last sentence made me reconsider. Re-sign Kareem, and let Baston and Kareem put together a 21st-century version of "Scared Straight - The EuroLeague Edition." Then some of these guys with a lot more talent will realize they need to work hard or they will get relegated to playing overseas.

NuffSaid
07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I liked him in his first go 'round with us, and was glad to see him included in the deal. He's obviously not a world-beater, but he understands his role, and plays it well. He's a hustle guy, and doesn't ever make a show of anything. He's a solid bench player and I hope he gets some decent playing time.

he shot fairly well from behind the arc during his first time with the pacers (though he only shot 7 total) and plays decent defense (mostly effort) and he is 6'10" -- i can definitely see o'brien using him.
I also liked Baston his first go-round w/the Pacers and thought he and Runi worked very well together. Frankly, I've often wondered why RC rarely played him and Runi together more.

Baston plays above the rim which has been lacking since he (and Runi) left. I don't recall Baston ever taking a "play" off when he was here. I liked his effort and hard work. The question now is how will JOB utilize him?

Since he does get up and down the court quickly and he's very athletic, I think he'd work best with:

C-Murphy
PF-Baston
SF-Granger/B. Rush
PG-Diener
SG-Dunleavy

He has to be among players who don't clog the lanes and get out on the fastbreaks rather quickly. Thus, playing him w/Foster or Hibbert wouldn't work, nor would playing him w/T.J. Ford because Ford plays more as a penetrating PG than a distributor.

Any thoughts?

wintermute
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
I was never quite sure why we let Maceo go.

$$$ and playing time

he was looking for a new deal and the depth we had then didn't justify paying more than the minimum.

agreed that it may come down to baston or mcbob for the last spot - and i expect it would be baston unless we see something we really like in mcbob.

Re-sign Kareem, and let Baston and Kareem put together a 21st-century version of "Scared Straight - The EuroLeague Edition." Then some of these guys with a lot more talent will realize they need to work hard or they will get relegated to playing overseas.

that might be true of kareem, but baston was never talented enough to take an nba spot for granted. euroleague was good for maceo, in that it allowed him to maximize what talent he had. i'll bet he has pretty fond memories of his stint as a macabbi star.

Smoothdave1
07-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I think both McRoberts and Baston will stick. Tinsley won't be back with us regardless, which gives us 15 players under contract next season. If we trade Tinsley for someone, the roster may look different. But I could see one of a few things happening:

-- Buy-out Tinsley, leaving 15 roster spots and contracts
-- Trade Tinsley for anything and maybe buying that player out
-- Traing Tinsley for a player meaning Pacers would release Baston or McRoberts

jeffg-body
07-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Baston reminds me of PJ Brown as he knows his role, his a high BB IQ, is a great character guy and has a positive attitude.

Kemo
07-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I think Maceo Baston is one of the most UNDERRATED guys in the league at his position...
I was ecstatic when we first aquired him... and was VERY confused why he was traded in the first place...

He is a very smart player.. and he was a very good player on the international team with Sarunas...

I will be very upset if McDooshie (McRoberts) stays on the team and Maceo doesn't ...
I think if given the minutes.. He could easily transition into our starting PF ..
with Murphy coming off the bench for him sharing the minutes..
In my opinion Maceo could be EVERY BIT as good as Jermaine O'Neal was 3 years ago.. maybe even better... I know , wishful thining.. lol but I have heard stranger things happening.. but I don't think it is too outrageous to have high hopes on a guy who does have the skill to be quite good in the nba
I say GIVE MACEO A CHANCE !!!
As a big man .. I certainly like him better than Rasho , both offensively and defensively..

Not to mention his contract is great for what I believe he could bring to this team...

He is a sleeper IMHO , and we really need to give him some playing time...
Every game he played in for us... granted they were very limited minutes , he produced and played smart... But I guess ALOT of good players got buried on the pine under Carlisle and his boneheaded play-reward-system ..
Carlisle ruined many-a-players by screwing with their head...
especially Sarunas... by playing him as a SG when clearly he was a playmaker and a pure PG .. But that is another thread foranother time.. lol

I sure hope Maceo is given a chance to shine...

Reckoner
07-03-2008, 06:06 AM
Is there anyone who doesn't like the guy?

I hope we give him the minutes to prove himself worthy of being in the regular rotation.

BlueNGold
07-03-2008, 07:25 AM
I like Baston too. He is probably better than McRoberts. He is probably MUCH better than McRoberts on defense. Baston frustrated Rasheed Wallace with his length and that by itself tells me we could use Baston.

Rasho is being underrated here though. Rasho can put up numbers offensively and he is a decent defender. I think some of you will be surprised by him because we have had such poor centers in the recent past.

Speed
07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
I like Baston too. He is probably better than McRoberts. He is probably MUCH better than McRoberts on defense. Baston frustrated Rasheed Wallace with his length and that by itself tells me we could use Baston.

Rasho is being underrated here though. Rasho can put up numbers offensively and he is a decent defender. I think some of you will be surprised by him because we have had such poor centers in the recent past.

Rasto outplayed JO in a game in 07 too, if I remember right. I agree he is being underated. I would start him with Murphy and let Foster mentor Hibbert from the PF spot with the 2nd team. Rasto isn't soft and plays experienced. He's limited, but I think from what Pacer fans are used too, that we'll have a bunch of pleasant surprises in how much these guys are pros who will like each other, play hard, and play pretty smart. It's easy to be optimistic in July, I guess.

duke dynamite
07-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Maceo sure can dunk, though.