PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider Request - Gilbert Offered Two Max Deals?

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Anybody?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

MillerTime
07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
GS was one of the teams that offerred him that max

NZPacer
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Arenas Offered Two Max Deals
Gilbert Arenas | Wizards

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?univLogin02=stateChanged

Both the Washington Wizards and Golden State Warriors have offered Gilbert Arenas max deals, according to a source close to the three-time All-Star point guard.

The Wizards early Tuesday morning offered Arenas a six-year $127 million deal, according to the source, and the Warriors offered Arenas five years for $101 million. The Wizards, because Arenas was under contract with them, are permitted to offer six years while other teams can offer only five.

According to a source close to Arenas, the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Ernie Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.

Also, I heard from a very reliable source that the Sacramento Kings contacted Arenas and said they are willing to do "whatever it takes" to land his services even if they have to "trade their entire team."

Because of his $35 million deal with Adidas, Gilbert Arenas has flexibility and -- according to a close friend of the guard -- could consider signing for another team for less if it meant having a greater chance at contending for a title more quickly.

But the source added Arenas has not scheduled any visits with other teams and will not consider fielding outside inquiries until any possible scenario that includes a return to the District is ruled out.

Gilbert Arenas will soon board a flight to Toronto and then China for a promotional trip he's doing for Adidas. When he lands later today, Arenas is scheduled to have a phone conversation with Wizards' owner Abe Pollin. The subject will be Washington's offer of a lucrative longterm contract.

Shade
07-01-2008, 09:16 PM
According to a source close to Arenas, the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Ernie Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.

That would deserve some props if it happens.

Also, I heard from a very reliable source that the Sacramento Kings contacted Arenas and said they are willing to do "whatever it takes" to land his services even if they have to "trade their entire team."

That's just hilarious. :laugh:

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Not sure that your whole team is enough, Sacto.

Thanks.

GO!!!!!
07-01-2008, 10:04 PM
thanks for that, nice read...

I thought the whole team would be reserved for Lebron and Kobe....

Bball
07-01-2008, 11:12 PM
the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Ernie Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.

...could consider signing for another team for less if it meant having a greater chance at contending for a title more quickly.

Talk, of course, is cheap... But if he's serious he just elevated himself in my book.

-Bball

d_c
07-01-2008, 11:21 PM
The only thing that happened to Gilbert today was that Chris Mullin helped him get an even bigger raise by driving up his price.

I'm sure Ernie Grunfeld and the Wiz appreciated it, lol. I know Gilbert and his agent do.

Robertmto
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Gil had a "secret deal" of 12 million before GS tendered their 101 million offer. All The Wiz did was up it to 127 million

Rajah Brown
07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Jay-

I assume you disagree. But there is no way I'd pay Arenas $20 mil
per year. I think the Wzards are nuts if they do.

The Unknown
07-02-2008, 07:45 AM
$21M per for a guy that can't improve his team and doesn't play a lick of defense is scary. I have a hunch Arenas is gonna go down the same path as Marbury and Francis.

Unclebuck
07-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Arenas is one of the more interesting players in the whole NBA. He is extremely talented and is very engaging. His teammates truly seem to like playing with the guy, he has a knack for hitting game winning shots and if he is hitting his outside shot it takes an awful lot to keep him from getting into the lane.

And yet having said all that, there is just something about his game, that just doesn't seem right. Maybe he has too much confidence and tries to do too much. I'm not sure, and I can't exactly put my finger on it -

travmil
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
$21M per for a guy that can't improve his team and doesn't play a lick of defense is scary. I have a hunch Arenas is gonna go down the same path as Marbury and Francis.

I don't think that's true at all.

On a side note, who is even available for the Wiz to sign if Gil does take less money so they can do it? This free agent crop is pretty weak given that most of the good ones will resign with their own teams.

Rajah Brown
07-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Well, I kinda stand corrected. Heard the D.C.-based, Steve Czaben,
on FOX Sports radio about 10 mins after my post and he convinced
me otherwise. If Arenas is helping the Wiz pack the house on a
nightly basis and gives them at least a shot at a run at an EC
Finals appearance, then I guess it makes sense.

To me, $20 mil per year is reserved for only a handful of guys. I
don't consider Arenas one of them. But his sitaution is kind of a
microcosm of the NBA salary structure conundrum. Only a handful
of teams are gonna have a legit shot at an NBA Title. If your team
isn't likely to be one of them, can you afford to pay your main guy
as if it is ? If the home town fans love him anyway, can you afford
not to ?

Unclebuck
07-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I would like to see what the Wizards could do if the big threee are healthy for most of the season and especially in the playoffs. I could see them possibly getting into the ECF - possibly

Raskolnikov
07-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Arenas is one of the more interesting players in the whole NBA. He is extremely talented and is very engaging. His teammates truly seem to like playing with the guy, he has a knack for hitting game winning shots and if he is hitting his outside shot it takes an awful lot to keep him from getting into the lane.

And yet having said all that, there is just something about his game, that just doesn't seem right. Maybe he has too much confidence and tries to do too much. I'm not sure, and I can't exactly put my finger on it -
It's not like I've seen him play that much, but the games I've seen, he was just being very inefficient. A lot of bad decision making. Hence his low FG% - never good for a team if it's the guy taking most of the shots - and TO to A ratio. True, he hits game winning shots every once in a while, and it's great to have someone on your team who can do that, but to me, the good doesn't outweigh the bad with Arenas. I wouldn't want him on the Pacers, and I don't see the Wizards going anywhere as long as he's their main guy.