PDA

View Full Version : Eric Gordon a movie star?

GrangerRanger
06-30-2008, 10:47 PM
According to some sources.. Eric Gordon played Marcus Jordan in the movie Space Jam. I was listening to the song "Fly like an Eagle" by the Steve Miller band earlier today when I got the nostalgic feeling to watch Space Jam. At the end something caught my eye..

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/JuliusRothman/egoi3.png

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm37/JuliusRothman/t1gordonak5.jpg

Wikipedia even lists him as one of the cast members. It's a shock to me.. any thoughts?

Trader Joe
06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Its not him.

GrangerRanger
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
The kid was 8 in the movie.. in 1996, making the kid 20ish today (eric gordon is almost 20.)

The Jumpshot Still Money
06-30-2008, 10:52 PM
na don't look like him

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it is him. I've heard this several times.

EDIT: Or not. I dunno. Can't find a link that says either way.

Aw Heck
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Eric has denied it several times I believe. I don't know why he would lie about it.

I admit though, it does seem plausible. <a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1034047/">Space Jam Eric Gordon</a>'s IMDB page lists his birthdate as circa 1989. <a href="http://www.nba.com/draft2008/profiles/EricGordon.html">Current LA Clipper Eric Gordon</a> was born on 12/25/88, only 6 days away from 1989.

Maybe it's just a really bizarre coincidence. :shrug:

Trader Joe
06-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Its not him. Hes denied it several times.

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah...Not sure what I was thinking. The kid in the flannel pajamas dresses way better.

GrangerRanger
06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I've always seen multiple sites use Eric D. Gordon (II) for his name in the casts.

I understand his father's name is Eric Gordon.. but I could never find out Eric's middle name.

Trader Joe
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Sportscenter started this "rumor" and everyone ran with it. He has denied it, and I see no reason why he would lie. Especially since his dad is such an attention whore.

Bball
06-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Did he play ball in the movie? Surely that wouldn't violate any IHSAA or NCAA rules would it?

That would be a reason to deny it if it was true...

-Bball

Hicks
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Did he play ball in the movie? Surely that wouldn't violate any IHSAA or NCAA rules would it?

That would be a reason to deny it if it was true...

-Bball

If it was him, he was eight. A none issue.

Bball
06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
If it was him, he was eight. A none issue.

Although I'm doubting it would be a violation on its face, how would him being 8 make any difference?

-Bball

Hicks
06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Although I'm doubting it would be a violation on its face, how would him being 8 make any difference?

-Bball

Um, why exactly would he answer to any organization at age 8?

LoneGranger33
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I've never heard of someone who got his baby fat after childhood.

Raoul Duke
06-30-2008, 11:58 PM
It's not him. He's denied it, MJ has. If you still don't believe it...

This is Gordon at 6:
http://www2.indystar.com/autofocus/photos/standard/2008/06/109564.jpg

This is Gordon in 4th grade, so 9?:
http://www2.indystar.com/autofocus/photos/standard/2008/06/109559.jpg

Bball
06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Um, why exactly would he answer to any organization at age 8?

If there's a hard and fast "you get paid, you're a pro" rule then the second you get paid... you'd lose your amateur status from there on out.

My guess is, with an 8 year old kid doing something that crossed an IHSAA (or NCAA line) that you'd have to petition the organization, get a hearing, and hopefully get some type of waiver. But knowing how both those agencies can be sticklers sometimes, maybe you'd think the best thing is to just keep quiet and/or deny it.

I think it's probably reaching to think it's him in the first place... But I don't think it's reaching to say if it is him, being 8 years old wouldn't automatically give him a pass on any IHSAA/NCAA rules IF he did something that was specifically not allowed and he later found himself under the auspices of one of those governing bodies.

Raoul Duke
07-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Are you serious, you think that playing basketball in a movie, at 8 years old at that, would get you banned from the IHSAA or NCAA??? Just stop and think how stupid that is for a second.

Robertmto
07-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Are you serious, you think that playing basketball in a movie, at 8 years old at that, would get you banned from the IHSAA or NCAA??? Just stop and think how stupid that is for a second.

its the rule. not stupid at all actually

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I believe getting paid to act and getting played to pay basketball are two different things.

Although Manu seems to get both. Hi-yo!

Hicks
07-01-2008, 01:07 AM
I don't see how any court could seriously consider that rule applying to an 8 your old acting in a movie. He didn't even pretend to play basketball, if I recall correctly, let alone get paid to seriously play ball.

Bball
07-01-2008, 01:25 AM
I believe getting paid to act and getting played to pay basketball are two different things.

Although Manu seems to get both. Hi-yo!

Didn't Hoosiers have to use players that had exhausted their HS eligibility? ...And didn't Blue Chips have to use players that had exhausted their college eligibility?

I didn't watch Space Jam so I have no idea if the kid dribbled a basketball or not.

Here is a rule you'd have to hurdle in the IHSAA:
7. must be an amateur (have not participated under an assumed name, have not accepted money or merchandise directly or
indirectly for athletic participation, have not accepted awards, gifts, or honors from colleges or their alumni, have not signed
a professional contract)

It's all in how you want to interpret 'athletic participation'.

Bball
07-01-2008, 01:33 AM

What I am saying is you're potentially skirting against the rules if you do it. I would certainly want to look into it very closely before just assuming it's as stupid as you think. Being 8 years old at the time might be a mitigating circumstance if you want to argue your case 6 years down the line, but I don't think that in and of itself would get you an automatic pass if a governing body thinks you got paid to play basketball (whether competitively or not, and whether for the cameras or not).

-Bball

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Ok it's definitely not him. Look at the ears. The other two pics look like him because his ears stick out, but the first one, no way.

Anthem
07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Conspiracy! There must be reality behind the rumors! Only suckers believe what's admitted in public!

:flirt:

Vince Neil
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Didn't Hoosiers have to use players that had exhausted their HS eligibility? ...And didn't Blue Chips have to use players that had exhausted their college eligibility?

I didn't watch Space Jam so I have no idea if the kid dribbled a basketball or not.

Here is a rule you'd have to hurdle in the IHSAA:
7. must be an amateur (have not participated under an assumed name, have not accepted money or merchandise directly or
indirectly for athletic participation, have not accepted awards, gifts, or honors from colleges or their alumni, have not signed
a professional contract)

It's all in how you want to interpret 'athletic participation'.

Steve Hollar played "Rade" in Hoosiers and got a slap on the wrist from Ncaa.

Steve Hollar started for the Warsaw Community High School basketball team in 1984, when they won the State Championship.

Steve played basketball for Depauw University at the time Hoosiers (1986) was filmed. He was investigated by the NCAA, since it is illegal for players to be paid for playing basketball. After it was determined that he was only being paid for acting, he "got off" with only a 3-game suspension and a fine of about 5% of his acting fee.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0390916/bio

pwee31
07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
It's not him, and the internet database is wrong. There was an article or report about this awhile back. I'll post it if I can find it