PDA

View Full Version : Baron Davis opts out of contract; verbally agrees to join Clippers

ajbry
06-30-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2008/06/30/baron-davis-opts-out/

Just got confirmation from the Warriors: Baron Davis, the man who led Golden State to its first playoff berth in 13 seasons, has opted out from the final year of his deal, passing up $17.8 million in order to gain his freedom after talks about an extension went pretty much nowhere.

Elton Brand just opted out as well but plans to re-sign with the Clips, perhaps a deal is in the works?

I'm honestly very surprised, BD cut it extremely close to his deadline and had told his teammates he wouldn't opt out... Seeing Arenas get $100 million probably was the final straw for him and he's decided to get a big, lengthy contract regardless.

joeshmoe
06-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow, I cannot believe that

d_c
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I think there's a good chance a sign and trade or some kind of deal is already in place, and that's why he opted out.

Otherwise, I think it's unlikely anyone is going to opt out of $17M if they don't already have a plan and place.

CapnBruisin
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Wow, thats a shocker.

How many years did he have left?

I suppose if you sign a longer year contract for slightly less money it balances out missing a couple of higher paying years.

ajbry
06-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Wow, thats a shocker.

How many years did he have left?

I suppose if you sign a 6 year contract for slightly less money it balances out missing a couple of higher paying years.

He only had 1 year left - at $18 million. He's been clamoring for an extension for the past year or so. Maybe if he put as much work into his basketball life as his movie producer life, the Warriors organization would've negotiated an extension...

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Could the Piston rumor be true? Sign and trade? I really don't wanna see him in our division with that line up.

d_c
06-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Could the Piston rumor be true? Sign and trade? I really don't wanna see him in our division with that line up.

It's possible.

I think he's going to get sign and traded somewhere. He's been great for the Warriors, but I don't think they're willing to commit the years and money to him long term that he's looking for.

ajbry
06-30-2008, 10:28 PM
If there's no Sheed or Brand coming back in return, I'm going to be royally pissed.

Evan_The_Dude
06-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Damn. That sucks for the Warriors :( Hopefully they have something in place.

d_c
06-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Damn. That sucks for the Warriors :(

All depends on what they get in return for him.

Now if he signs somewhere else straight up and left the Warriors with nothing in return (highly unlikely), THAT would suck.

If they can get a viable return for him, then that works out.

ajbry
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
And now Mullin is left holding a $10 million trade exception that expires in about an hour and a half...

d_c
06-30-2008, 10:36 PM
And now Mullin is left holding a $10 million trade exception that expires in about an hour and a half...

LOL.

The Warriors were never going to use that TPE. The owner wasn't going to pay the luxury tax. Of course people talked about what to do with the TPE to no end without ever thinking about the financial realities.

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Nutso...I didn't see this coming.

Anthem
:jamaaltinsley:

:signit:

ajbry
LOL.

The Warriors were never going to use that TPE. The owner wasn't going to pay the luxury tax. Of course people talked about what to do with the TPE to no end without ever thinking about the financial realities.

It was billed as a key part of the J-Rich trade... It's expected that Cohan told Mullin to let it expire, but it's still a disappointment.

Evan_The_Dude
06-30-2008, 10:40 PM

Make it happen Mully.

Evan_The_Dude
06-30-2008, 10:44 PM
:jamaaltinsley:

:signit:

I said once before that the Warriors are the one team that could get away with taking Tinsley. I think Tinsley would do well with them and the fans wouldn't be nearly as hard on him as the ones in Indiana. I'd honestly like to see it happen, but maybe in a backup role.

McKeyFan
06-30-2008, 10:49 PM
You may me on to something.

Anthem
06-30-2008, 10:50 PM
I said once before that the Warriors are the one team that could get away with taking Tinsley. I think Tinsley would do well with them and the fans wouldn't be nearly as hard on him as the ones in Indiana. I'd honestly like to see it happen, but maybe in a backup role.
Hey, taking Jack worked for them. Why not Tinsley?

Evan_The_Dude
06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I bet we'd have to take back Al Harrington for them to take Tinsley. Since the W's are my other favorite, as a fan I'd be for it. As a Pacers fan I wouldn't like it, but it would make a little more sense this time around than Al's second stint. Don't take me too seriously though. Last time I mentioned a proposed deal with the Warriors it actually happened...

Plax80
06-30-2008, 11:08 PM
If Jamaal Tinsley was the last PG available on Earth......they would still choose to convert Mikael Pietru sto PG before taking on his $22mm.

And Monta Ellis and the guy they drafted last year in rd 1 are still around.

Clearly this offseason is going to be better than anything the Playoffs delivered.

I'm thinking Baron has three possible destinations:

Miami or Detriot or the Lakers.

In order.

1. detriot: If GS likes Chauncey as much as I do than a Billups and Prince for Baron and another piece or two makes sense for both teams. The piece would come from Barnes, Pietrus, or Harrington or a pick.

I'd say Detriot wants to get more athletic and they would go for Baron and Barnes for Prince and Billups.

GS has always pinched pennies so this gives them cost certainity with proven commodities at a decent price while for Detriot....they finally break up the big 4 and change their culture while possibly increasing their talent base (debateable).

2. Miami: Baron for Marion seems like a good trade for both. Nellie should love Marion...........he's more a Nellie guy than just about anyone you can think of.............problem is........he's on a one year deal and resigning him would cost as much as resigning Baron. Miami would have to sweeten the pot I think....and they have no sweetners to do so.

Howeva.....a 3 team deal that would send Baron to Miami.............Marion to Chicago and Hinrich or Ben Gordon along with Gooden and either Tyrus Thomas or Noah would make lots of sense for all parties.

GS again gets a cost certainity PG that they can live with.........they get another potential type at PF with Thomas and they get an expiring now player in Gooden. Gooden also runs the floor well and should fit in Nellie's system.....he could have long term success in oakland.

3. lakers: This would have to be initiated by davis. GS would not come out of any LA deal in good shape. Lamar Odom's expiring deal is about it along with Derek Fisher (again ??). Turiaf or Walton shouldn't interest GS nor should Vujakolv.

If I'm Mully........I'd call Baron's bluff on signing a 1 yr MLE deal with them unless LA was willing to include Bynum or Gasol.

Miami with Riley, DWade, and Beasley probably entices Davis to choose them OR he stays with GS with an Arenas type extension.

Davis in:

GS: 50%
Miami: 25%
Detriot 20%
Lakers: 5%

Anthem
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
I bet we'd have to take back Al Harrington for them to take Tinsley. Since the W's are my other favorite, as a fan I'd be for it. As a Pacers fan I wouldn't like it, but it would make a little more sense this time around than Al's second stint. Don't take me too seriously though. Last time I mentioned a proposed deal with the Warriors it actually happened...
I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

And I don't particularly like Baby Al.

rexnom
06-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

And I don't particularly like Baby Al.
They could send over Thunder (http://www.nba.com/warriors/mascot/meet_thunder.html) and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ajbry
06-30-2008, 11:55 PM
Apparently Dan Fegan - Jack's agent - informed the Warriors that if they're going into a total rebuild (essentially if Baron is let go without getting veterans in return), Jack would prefer to be traded.

I'm annoyed.

Evan_The_Dude
07-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Apparently Dan Fegan - Jack's agent - informed the Warriors that if they're going into a total rebuild (essentially if Baron is let go without getting veterans in return), Jack would prefer to be traded.

I'm annoyed.

Won't happen. No way the Warriors are in a total rebuild. They better not be. I waited too damn long to see them return to the playoffs and actually play like an NBA team again for them to just give up and go back to the drawing board. All they need is a legitimate big man to match up with the bigs in the West. I think they have the pieces to make that happen.

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 12:48 AM
"There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless — boys and women — and I am neither." – Greek saying

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2008, 01:39 AM

I'm annoyed.

That would be crazy. I don't think Nelson came back to help them start all over.

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 02:04 AM
I would see something in the lines of a sign and trade with BD. Not necessarily involving the Pistons, but maybe another western conference team.

But as we been discussing in the FA Thread, these guys are making way too much money.

When are they going to have another CBA so we can have another lockout?

Also, Tinsley may be a good fit in GS. Not sure if Chris Mullin has learned yet that money doesn't grow on trees but I'm sure he is getting there.

Shade
07-01-2008, 02:30 AM
I hope he doesn't go to Detroit. They get too much crap handed to them as it is.

d_c
07-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Hey, taking Jack worked for them. Why not Tinsley?

If Baron isn't coming back, the Warriors go full on rebuild and rebuilding usually doesn't involve players like Tinsley.

For that matter, they'd probably then trade Jackson.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2008, 03:35 AM
I heard Harrington wasn't happy either. Seeing Baron and CapnJack leave won't make him any happier.

Slick Pinkham
07-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I would see something in the lines of a sign and trade with BD. Not necessarily involving the Pistons, but maybe another western conference team.

S&T with Miami for Marion makes some sense

Fool
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
I hope he doesn't go to Detroit. They get too much crap handed to them as it is.

They do take a lot of **** from the people around here. I agree.

avoidingtheclowns
07-01-2008, 12:22 PM
davis would make sense on the clippers but what the hell (short of brand) do they trade back? miami makes sense too in nellie's system but as was mentioned he too is in his final year.

CableKC
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I heard on KNBR 680 in SF that the Warriors have an offer on the table for Arenas ( 5 year / 101 mil...I think ) which eventually pushed the Wizards to ante up and offer the MAX contract for Arenas.

I can see why the Warriors wanted to make a run for Arenas....but $125 mil for Arenas seems rather steep.

As for Baron...he's not worth any type of MAX deal that the Warriors can offer. He maybe the primary reason for their 1st Playoff push in a very long time....but his interests does not 100% lie within Basketball. If the option was there....I would see if I can S&T him to the Clippers for Brand.

ajbry
07-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure what to make of the offer to Arenas... It could've just been a panic move or simply a move to assure the Wizards tie up a ton of money and won't be players in FA anytime soon.

Word is the only other place BD would consider signing with outright (which is a limited group of teams anyway who could afford him) is the Clippers. And in that scenario, it would mean the Clips would likely renounce their rights to Maggette and would have to persuade Elton to re-sign for less money.

The most probable outcome at this point appears to be a sign-and-trade, honestly. Brand, Odom, Sheed, Billups, Marion, etc. are names that have been thrown around. I would be ecstatic with Brand. That, however, would leave a hole in the starting backcourt (unless the Dubs acquire a SF and move Jack to 2 and Monta to 1).

Letting BD go and just signing another FA (after taking care of Monta and Andris) like Josh Smith would be awesome as well...

So many crazy possibilities.

avoidingtheclowns
07-01-2008, 03:47 PM
I heard on KNBR 680 in SF that the Warriors have an offer on the table for Arenas ( 5 year / 101 mil...I think ) which eventually pushed the Wizards to ante up and offer the MAX contract for Arenas.

I can see why the Warriors wanted to make a run for Arenas....but $125 mil for Arenas seems rather steep.

yeah it does. and really...

(MTO don't look)

why give antawn 4yr/$50mil on top of that? why are the wizards maxing out their financial flexibility when their team just isn't that great? they're a playoff team but they've been a big disappointment each time.
i think as a business decision, the wiz had to keep arenas. he is loved here in DC and is clearly the most marketable wizard. but keeping AJ at that $$$ and giving gil 6yr/$124mil (as is being reported) seems like a bad idea.

As for Baron...he's not worth any type of MAX deal that the Warriors can offer. He maybe the primary reason for their 1st Playoff push in a very long time....but his interests does not 100% lie within Basketball. If the option was there....I would see if I can S&T him to the Clippers for Brand.

to add to ajbry's post...

the biggest reason for the Clips to go after Baron is to pair him with Brand. with brand and maggette opting out, dumping Livingston, the Clips only have about $28mil on the books (not including rookies). so it is possible that the Clippers could re-sign Brand and sign Davis out-right for starting at about what they were making before. the problem then is how do they fill out the rest of their team and is a team of:

Baron / Knight / Taylor (#55)
Mobley / Gordon (#7)
Thornton / Thomas
Brand / Powell
Kaman / Jordan (#35)

good enough to win in the west? i doubt it.

unless the Dubs acquire a SF and move Jack to 2 and Monta to 1

i hear mike dunleavy could be available...

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Gil was leaving if they didn't re-sign Antawn too. Didn't really give them much bargaining power. He should have gotten 4-years/$40 million.

SI actually reported it as $44 million.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/06/30/wizards/?bcnn=yes

The Post and everywhere else I saw said $50 though.

ajbry
07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Word is coming in now - from KNBR again - that the Warriors offer to BD was 4 or 5 years at $15 million per year. Damn. That's essentially the best offer he was likely to get and he turned it down...

EDIT: Not sure if this is actually true, conflicting reports as usual.

PR07
07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
BDiddy has agreed to a verbal contract with the Los Angeles Clippers, breaking news ESPN.

Ouch, there goes the magic in Golden State.

Davis
NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the guard reached a verbal agreement with the Clippers on Tuesday night and will sign a new multiyear contract with Los Angeles after the leaguewide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted July 9.

Davis was in line to make $17.8 million in the last year of his deal with the Warriors, but after telling the team that he wanted to stay, opted out at the last minute.

Sources told ESPN.com that Davis, 29, will receive a five-year deal worth an estimated $65 million.

Forward Elton Brand also opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, and speculation quickly began that the team would try to keep Brand and sign Davis. This scenario is only possible if the Clippers renounce the rights of Corey Maggette and Brand takes a slight pay cut.

avoidingtheclowns
07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
$13mil per?
wow, dude must HATE the bay

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Really shocking. Clippers? He better hope they re sign Brand. I don't see a reason for going to the Clips if Brand is leaving, but with Brand, B Diddy and Gordon..Clippers might have a chance at playoffs.

PR07
07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Kaman
Brand
Al Thornton
Gordon
Baron Davis

That's a pretty darn good starting 5. I don't know about their depth, but they could be one of the West's better teams.

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Wowza.

Didn't see that coming.

They must have added a little more to this PR07...

Davis verbally agrees to go to Clippers, leave Warriors

ESPN.com news services

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: July 1, 2008, 8:32 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->Baron Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3326) shocked the Warriors by opting out of his contract on Monday. Imagine their surprise now.

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (BEGIN) -->
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/profiles/players/65x90/3326.jpg
Davis

<!-- INLINE HEADSHOT (END) -->
NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that the guard reached a verbal agreement with the Clippers on Tuesday night and will sign a new multiyear contract with Los Angeles after the leaguewide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted July 9.
Davis was in line to make $17.8 million in the last year of his deal with the Warriors, but after telling the team that he wanted to stay, opted out at the last minute.
Sources told ESPN.com that Davis, 29, will receive a five-year deal worth an estimated $65 million.
Forward Elton Brand (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3324) also opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, and speculation quickly began that the team would try to keep Brand and sign Davis. This scenario is only possible if the Clippers renounce the rights of Corey Maggette (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3336) and Brand takes a slight pay cut.

Sources say the Clippers are expected to do just that and quickly reach a verbal agreement to bring back Brand.
Maggette opted out of his deal on Monday as well.

Davis averaged 21.8 points, 7.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds last season for a Warriors team that won 48 games but did not make the playoffs.
Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
The Warriors need a PG. Tinsley for sale!

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
BTW: someone change the name of this thread to "Baron Davis verbally agrees to join the Clippers"

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Good for the Clips.

GO!!!!!
07-01-2008, 09:04 PM
They still have Ellis, he'll be there PG of the future me thinks

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
They still have Ellis, he'll be there PG of the future me thinks
Not if they try to snag Arenas...

joeshmoe
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
That's what Nelly gets for benching him the last game of the season.

maragin
07-01-2008, 09:07 PM
The Warriors need a PG. Tinsley for sale!

Tinsley drives, dishes to Jackson for threeeeee!

(Al Harrington cheers from the bench, and Sarunas claps from Lithuania)

PR07
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah, Don Nelson totally screwed this one up. Baron Davis might've re-signed had they not offered Arenas the max which kind of is a slap in the face to Baron.

Shade
07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Looks like the Dubs may have a semi-fire sale soon.

Should we get involved?

The Unknown
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Wow, tough break for the Warriors. They show a glimmer of hope after more than a decade of lottery hell, and it's already over with.

Pig Nash
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't buy that the warriors will go down like a sinking ship. They still have plenty of guards and they can pick up some pieces.

Crystal Ball says playoff berth next year.

Trader Joe
07-01-2008, 09:35 PM
So what's this mean for Jack?

ajbry
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
That's what Nelly gets for benching him the last game of the season.

It was the 2nd to last game actually, and BD was hungover after celebrating his birthday (for the second time) the night before. The Warriors practically came back and won that game without him in the 2nd half...

And Baron can kiss my ***. What a crock of *****. Dude wanted to be back in his hometown all along and so he can pursue his hollywood dreams 365 days a year.

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Biedrins to Pacers would be amazing.

Trader Joe
07-01-2008, 09:38 PM

And how exactly would that occur?

ajbry
07-01-2008, 09:39 PM

:uhoh:

It depends. If they go after a FA like Smoove or Iggy, he'll be retained and lead the team... If they don't and go into total rebuilding mode, he's gone.

JayRedd
And how exactly would that occur?

You seen Celtic Pride?

ajbry

Never going to happen. He'll be signed very soon.

Trader Joe
07-01-2008, 09:41 PM
You seen Celtic Pride?

So you're saying, if we kidnap Damon Wayans, Biedrins will come to save him?

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Obviously. Glad you could catch up.

Side question:

Who was more unbelievable as a basketball star?

a) Damon Wayans in Celtic Pride
b) Leo DiCarprio in Basketball Diaries
c) Shawn Bradley is Space Jam

ajbry
07-01-2008, 09:50 PM
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/02/13/PH2007021301681.jpg

Get it done Mully.

Aw Heck
07-01-2008, 09:50 PM

Side question:

Blah, I was just going to add Shawn Bradley to the list before you edited it.

But I will add d) The cast of Teen Wolf. Except of course, Michael J. Fox in wolf form, because that's actually believable. Werewolves can totally ball.

Pig Nash
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Piece of trivia, Teen Wolf basketball is the inspiration for the wolf game.

joeshmoe
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
And Baron can kiss my ***. What a crock of *****. Dude wanted to be back in his hometown all along and so he can pursue his hollywood dreams 365 days a year.

I think ownership dropped the ball on this one too. Not that I wouldn't be pissed at Baron as a Warrior fan.

Justin Tyme
07-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Never going to happen. He'll be signed very soon.

With Baron leaving for the Clips, they will have an extra 17 mil to sign him and Ellis.

Young
07-01-2008, 10:16 PM
You can't blame Baron for leaving. If they offered Gilbert the max I wouldn't want to re-sign with the Warriors either. Hell looks like the Warriors don't really want him even.

Baron will not be easy to replace but they still have Monta Ellis assuming they re-sign him.

Could Al Harrington plus ? land them Kirk Hinrich? Or they could settle for Kyle Lowry or Raymond Felton. Not sure what the Warriors would have to give up for either of those two though.

I'm sure the Warriors will be alright though. Losing Baron might be better for them in the long run anyways.

Baron to the Clippers is interesting. If they can re-sign Brand and Maggette they will have a very nice team. I'm sure with Baron there that increases their chances of keeping Brand and Maggette.

docpaul
07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Baron to the Clippers is interesting. If they can re-sign Brand and Maggette they will have a very nice team. I'm sure with Baron there that increases their chances of keeping Brand and Maggette.

Can't sign Maggette... no room.

Man, they just cold dissed him. After all of the years of supposed "dedication" to Maggette, he's going to have to take a year at the midlevel and go for a longer term contract next offseason.

Orlando isn't the best place for him to shine, either... hmm, tough position.

Isaac
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM

Side question:

Leo was fantastic in Basketball Diaries.

As someone who saw a couple of my friends struggle through heroin addiction, I couldn't believe how real he was in that movie.

LoneGranger33
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Monta Ellis > Baron Davis
All that team needs now is the Tinman.

And what about Woody Harrelson?

d_c
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah, Don Nelson totally screwed this one up. Baron Davis might've re-signed had they not offered Arenas the max which kind of is a slap in the face to Baron.

Uh, Baron probably had that deal arranged with the Clips before he opted out. There's no way he would opt out of $18M without a deal already in place.

The Warriors probably gave that offer to Arenas when they already knew they were losing Baron.

Shade
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Monta Ellis > Baron Davis
All that team needs now is the Tinman.

I get it.

Reverse psychology?

d_c
07-01-2008, 10:25 PM

The Warriors will probably deal Jackson, if I had to guess. It's a waste of everyone's (Jackson and the W's) to keep him around now.

And no, they don't want Tinsley. This is pretty much full scale rebuilding, which normally doesn't involve players like Tinsley.

joeshmoe
07-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Man, they just cold dissed him. After all of the years of supposed "dedication" to Maggette, he's going to have to take a year at the midlevel and go for a longer term contract next offseason.

Orlando isn't the best place for him to shine, either... hmm, tough position

He'll get better offers.

d_c
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
You can't blame Baron for leaving. If they offered Gilbert the max I wouldn't want to re-sign with the Warriors either. Hell looks like the Warriors don't really want him even.

Baron will not be easy to replace but they still have Monta Ellis assuming they re-sign him.

Could Al Harrington plus ? land them Kirk Hinrich? Or they could settle for Kyle Lowry or Raymond Felton. Not sure what the Warriors would have to give up for either of those two though.

I'm sure the Warriors will be alright though. Losing Baron might be better for them in the long run anyways.

The Clips can't re-sign Maggette now. They will have to first renounce him (and his cap hold) in order to make room for Baron.

For the Warriors, this is not a good situation.

There are certainly valid questions about how much you want to pay a guy of Baron's age, injuries and attitude issues, but bottom line is the Warriors lost him for nothing. If anything, the Warriors were probably hoping he'd just play out his final year and they might have been able to get something for him in a trade at the deadline.

Now they can't do that. They've lost him for pretty much nothing.

It was always going to be a conundrum for the Warriors with what to do with Baron. He was great for them, but he's got age/injury/attitude issues. And the big issue was that his (and Jackson's) prime didn't coincide with the prime years of guys like Ellis, Wright and Biedrins. That was the issue the Warriors were facing. How much $ do you commit to a guy like Baron in such a situation?

But regardless of those issues, you didn't want to just lose him like that for nothing, but now that's what just happened to them.

This one is on the Warriors management, Mullin in particular. They definitely got blindsided, but their lowballing ways (dating back to last summer) definitely bit them in the @ss in this case.

LoneGranger33
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Apparently he's taking a pay-cut to play for the Clippers, so it seems there is little the Warriors could do.

avoidingtheclowns
07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
And no, they don't want Tinsley. This is pretty much full scale rebuilding, which normally doesn't involve players like Tinsley.

well if you're not interesting in tinman, we've got these two players named dunleavy and murphy you might be interested in...

D-BONE
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Word on Magette is the Spurs and others are in Buford T. Justice mode on his arse.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aj8j570rfLXwAScwb7O7LV05nYcB?slug=aw-spursmaggette070108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

JayRedd
07-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Leo was fantastic in Basketball Diaries.

As someone who saw a couple of my friends struggle through heroin addiction, I couldn't believe how real he was in that movie.

I'll give you that it was a good movie and all, but he sure looked nothing like how good Jim Carroll supposedly was in the basketball scenes..

You'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win.

I have a rifle for the next time you badmouth Billy Hoyle.

BoomBaby31
07-02-2008, 01:25 AM

Should we start the Harrington back to Indiana rumors here??? j/k j/k j/k PLEASE!!!

NorCal_Pacerfan
07-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Wow, I'm surprised as bit. I watch the Warriors quite a bit out here. This is going to be hard on the Warrior fan base and the chemistry of the team. BD was the heart and soul of their team.

If he was looking for an extension and then his boss offered 101 to Arenas, I can see why he might have changed his tune though. This off-season just got more interesting - again. I look forward to seeing what the Warriors will come up with next season, and if Jax will stick around.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Wow, I'm surprised as bit. I watch the Warriors quite a bit out here. This is going to be hard on the Warrior fan base and the chemistry of the team. BD was the heart and soul of their team.

If he was looking for an extension and then his boss offered 101 to Arenas, I can see why he might have changed his tune though. This off-season just got more interesting - again. I look forward to seeing what the Warriors will come up with next season, and if Jax will stick around.
Based off of what I have been listening on SF Sports Radio...most would want to keep Baron....but not at the price that he is asking for. Most of them point out that Baron ( up until the second that he could become a FA ) said that he wanted to remain in the Bay Area....then bolts for Free Agency the second that he has the choice....which kind of sucks...but tells you the type of person that he is. He kind of reminds me of Artest....he has talent to be a very good player....but unfortunately has a very big ego that does not match his talent level.

However, I will say that there is a certain sense of shock that most Bandwagon Warrior Fans are sharing as most of them see Baron as the reason why they finally broke the Playoff curse. My sense is that Baron simply wanted more $$$ and once he saw the opportunity that he had to get an extension while playing in LA ( so that he is closer to Hollywood and his Off-court interests ), he left.

As a casual Warriors fan that pays attention only because I live in the SF Bay Area, I simply don't think that he is worth the type of contract that Baron is looking for. Mainly due to his injuries, the belief that he happened to play 82 games ONLY during a contract year and the fact that his primary focus/interest is NOT exclusive to basketball but other "Hollywood" interests, I can easily see why it's difficult to justify giving him that much.

I'm guessing that the Clippers will likely make a very solid push for the Playoffs in the West with Baron leading the way.....then next season, once the Honeymoon is over...Baron will return to his old form of playing 60+ games while not putting in the work ethic to maintain last years performance.

Although there is a certain sense of "homerism" when they praise Baron......where they think that he's a Top 5 PG in the league....there is a certain sense of relief from most Bay Area Analyst that they didn't commit so much $$$ to him and are starting to look at Monte and Biedrins as the future. With the $$$ that they have now with Baron off the cap, they have options to plug up the hole that he left.

DGPR
07-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I was going to say Omar Epps as a basketball player is unbelievable.

Also Woody has played a baller in 2 movies now. It's obvious he's got skills on the mean courts of Hollywood that none of us have seen.

PR07
07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Honestly, this is Golden State's fault. It's Don Nelson's fault for benching him and not getting along too well with him. It's Golden State's fault for being frugal in negotiations, yet they're eager to offer an injury prone Gilbert Arenast the MAX. That's not how you treat a star if you expect them to re-sign. Baron wanted to be a top priority, but the Warriors showed a lot of indifference and made him a 3rd wheel.

You can't blame Baron for taking this opportunity to play with the best player he's ever played with in Elton Brand. I mean honestly, up to this point, who's the best player Baron has had on his team? Jamal Mashburn? Monta Ellis? Stephen Jackson? He has to be thrilled.

DGPR
07-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Honestly, this is Golden State's fault. It's Don Nelson's fault for benching him and not getting along too well with him. It's Golden State's fault for being frugal in negotiations, yet they're eager to offer an injury prone Gilbert Arenast the MAX. That's not how you treat a star if you expect them to re-sign. Baron wanted to be a top priority, but the Warriors showed a lot of indifference and made him a 3rd wheel.

You can't blame Baron for taking this opportunity to play with the best player he's ever played with in Elton Brand. I mean honestly, up to this point, who's the best player Baron has had on his team? Jamal Mashburn? Monta Ellis? Stephen Jackson? He has to be thrilled.

I can honestly see why Baron Davis would choose to go to another team here. That had to be a slap in the face to hear about Arenas getting offered a contract before he did BY HIS OWN TEAM. This could end up badly for the Warriors who now probably won't end up with either one of them.

OTOH the Clippers look like a tough team next year if they can ink a deal with both Brand and Davis.

rexnom
07-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Uh, Baron probably had that deal arranged with the Clips before he opted out. There's no way he would opt out of $18M without a deal already in place.

The Warriors probably gave that offer to Arenas when they already knew they were losing Baron.
I just wanted to reemphasize this. I don't think the Arenas offer has much to do with Baron's decision.

2minutes twowa
07-02-2008, 09:45 AM
hoopshype.com was reporting that Golden State might be interested in an Al Harrington for Heinrich trade if Baron signs with LA. Al would be a good fit for Chicago.

duke dynamite
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Hmm, I wonder where this leaves Maggette...

avoidingtheclowns
07-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Al would be a good fit for Chicago.

because he is the post-scorer they've been after?

The Unknown
07-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Last I heard, Maggette was getting full MLE offers from San Antonio and Orlando. He's worth more, and he's been underpaid for quite a while, but he says he's made plenty of money and now wants to win.

duke dynamite
07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
The chances of him winning are a little better now that they have some solid players. (That is if he doesn't go anywhere.)

rexnom
07-02-2008, 11:05 AM
If I'm Maggette, I would go to SA to win. He instantly becomes their starting 2 guard/6th man (depending on how they want to use Manu) and gives them a nice infusion of slashing and athleticism.

MyFavMartin
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Marquis to Clippers for Tim Thomas?

rexnom
07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Hmm...the chance to have Tim Thomas in a contract year (next year) is promising...

CableKC
07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
It's Don Nelson's fault for benching him and not getting along too well with him.
Please clarify what incident that you are referring to when you say that Nelson benched Baron.

As for not getting along with Nellie....although it's well publicized that Nellie isn't an easy Coach to get along with....Baron isn't a saint when it comes to being the type of player that any Coach can get along with.

It's Golden State's fault for being frugal in negotiations, yet they're eager to offer an injury prone Gilbert Arenast the MAX.
Other then the very reason why I cited in my above post ( injury prone, out of shape at the start of the season while lacking focus )....are you asking why the Warriors are being frugal when it comes to offering Arenas ( a player that not only is 26 years old now but has played 55,80,80,74,14 games...a total of 303 games...over the last 5 sesaons ) a $100 mil / 5 year contract while not doing the same for Baron ( a player that is 29 years old now but has only played 18,28,54,63,82 games...a total of 245 games....over the last 5 seasons )?

Arenas is as good ( if not better ) then Baron, may have as big of an ego as Baron has....but clearly is a better choice at the PG spot . If the Warriors were forced to make a MAX offer to one of the two....it's quite obvious which one they would choose.

That's not how you treat a star if you expect them to re-sign. Baron wanted to be a top priority, but the Warriors showed a lot of indifference and made him a 3rd wheel.

If I were to believe that playing next to a player like Brand was the only reason why he left the Warriors...then I can agree. But IMHO Baron left for the same old reasons that any Player with a huge ego leaves a team.....for $$$$, feeling disrespected ( as you point out ) and ( in this case ) an opportunity to play closer to his hometown and Hollywood.

The only reason why I can see why Baron would feel "slighted" is if he felt that the Warriors were more committed to Monta ( which could very well be the case ) and therefore wanted out cuz he didn't feel like he was the "top dog" anymore. Although this may or may not be true......you can tell how big of an ego Baron has in thinking this. He's not as much of a Team Player as it is all about him.

Also...I don't get the sense that the Warriors were indifferent to Baron when it came to negotiations. This isn't a situation where the Warriors had 2 top Free Agents they had to sign ( like the Wizards with Arenas and Jamison ) and Baron was "put on the backburner" while Mullin negotiated with another FA on the Warriors roster. Mullin is rather shrewd if not realistic when it comes to negotiating....he's not going to ( and realistically should not ) offer more then Baron is worth.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
hoopshype.com was reporting that Golden State might be interested in an Al Harrington for Heinrich trade if Baron signs with LA. Al would be a good fit for Chicago.
I can totally see Harrington being the Low-Post scoring option that the Bulls have been pining for over the last couple of seasons :rolleyes: :hmm: :laugh:

Placebo
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
If you had Eric Gordon, would you want Quis on your team?
Quis would cut his minutes and I doubt Clipps would want this.

avoidingtheclowns
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Hmm...the chance to have Tim Thomas in a contract year (next year) is promising...

i can't imagine the clips would be in the market for 1-for-1 trades. say they re-sign brand for around $15mil (at least this season)

davis / knight / taylor (#55)
mobley / gordon (#7)
thornton / thomas
brand / powell
kaman / jordan (#35)

thomas can play the 3 and the 4 for the clips so he's become more valuable. they've got a really weak frontline and could use another wing.

The Unknown
07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Clippers have reportedly resigned Brand for the bargain contract of $13.5M per. Clippers are gonna be dangerous next year.

avoidingtheclowns
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Clippers have reportedly resigned Brand for the bargain contract of $13.5M per. Clippers are gonna be dangerous next year.

but would they make the playoffs? who are they going to replace in the west

Lakers
Hornets
Spurs
Jazz
Rockets
Suns
Mavs
Nuggets

despite their woes at PG, i expect the mavs to be back in the playoffs on carlisle's coaching alone. not sure how the suns will react to terry porter's coaching but it is hard to count nash, amare and shaq out. the nuggets are really the only team i could see them replacing but also remember portland will be in the mix too. so i think this move buys them a shot at the 8 seed right now.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Why would we want Tim Thomas?

The only way that I would want Tim Thomas is if we traded Tinsley+Shawne for him....otherwise....there is no need for Tim Thomas.

rexnom
07-02-2008, 01:06 PM

The only way that I would want Tim Thomas is if we traded Tinsley+Shawne for him....otherwise....there is no need for Tim Thomas.
Hmm...that isn't a terrible deal for either side.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Hmm...that isn't a terrible deal for either side.
With Baron going to the Clippers.......a Baron+Tinsley PG rotation is an injury waiting to happen.

MyFavMartin
07-02-2008, 01:30 PM

He can play PF, can shoot the 3PT, and we rid ourselves of Marquis.

But like someone pointed out, that would leave the Clips thin in their FC. Could expand it to include Mobley and Murphy, but I don't see either team interested in a trade of my mediocre players for your mediocre players.

Unclebuck
07-02-2008, 01:41 PM
With Kaman, Brand and Davis, the Clips will make the playoffs next season. Who will they beat out?? I don't know every year teams have injuries or somehting goes wrong and they aren't as good as everyone figured.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 01:49 PM

But like someone pointed out, that would leave the Clips thin in their FC. Could expand it to include Mobley and Murphy, but I don't see either team interested in a trade of my mediocre players for your mediocre players.
That begs the question....do you want a PF that can score in the Low-Post or one that can score from all over the place ( but isn't really a reliable Low-Post Option....a la Murphy )?

For some reason....when I think of Tim Thomas being used in JO'Bs offense...I think of how JO'B used Antoine Walker when they were with the Celtics.

I look at it this way:

Murphy/Foster/Shawne/Baston/Granger PF rotation ( for the 2008-2009 season ) + with 2009 offseason Salary Cap Flexiblility

>>>>>

Murphy/Foster/Tim Thomas/Shawne/Baston/Granger PF rotation + "less" 2009 Offseason Salary Cap Flexiblility

Unless we can somehow dump Tinsley on the Clippers...which is unlikely now....Tim Thomas would be a good fit...but not worth it IMHO. I would live with Marquis at the end of the bench earning his $6+ mil quietly then get Tim Thomas on the books for 2 more seasons.

count55
07-02-2008, 01:51 PM

Gonna agree with Cable here...I'll move Tinsley for Thomas, but moving Daniels for Thomas only continues, or adds to the log jam and adds salary.

Mourning
07-02-2008, 01:58 PM

And he's also been a "problem" or bonehead on most places he's gone too. I will pass on this dude and let Marquis expand so we have room for re-signings next summer or include him in another deal to strengthen the frontcourt in february or a total no-brainer this summer (something like Marion for Marquis, one or two second rounders, Shawne and Foster which won't happen I know) :).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Mourning
07-02-2008, 02:01 PM
With Kaman, Brand and Davis, the Clips will make the playoffs next season. Who will they beat out?? I don't know every year teams have injuries or somehting goes wrong and they aren't as good as everyone figured.

I would bet on the Nuggets not making it as it stands now though and ridiculously not taking injuries into the equation.

Maybe the Nuggets will reeinforce themselves this summer, but it had better be someone of importance then. Either way, I definitely see the Clippers making it, barring serious injuries.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Looks like the Dubs may have a semi-fire sale soon.

Should we get involved?
I hear Jackson's available. :-p

The Unknown
07-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Warriors have now offered Elton Brand a 5/$90M contract -$5.5M more per season than what the Clippers offered him.

Trader Joe
07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Warriors have now offered Elton Brand a 5/$90M contract -$5.5M more per season than what the Clippers offered him.

Hilarious.

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hilarious.
I agree.

Hatfields and McCoy's brewing here. How much would it ramp up a previously non-existant rivalry. Get the Clips to take Mike Dunleavy while you're at it. Get Billy Crystal to move to San Fran. Get Tony Bennett to do a cover of "I Love LA" and Randy Newman to do a cover of "I Left My Heart...".

maragin
07-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Hilarious.

Wow that's funny. Would be one of the weirdest backwards S&T's ever.

I want a rivalry like this. I want Nellie yelling "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Also, I want them to be shook up enough to take Tinsley.

Trader Joe
07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Just when you thought Chris Mullin was getting the hang of being a NBA GM he's going to go and give a 90 million dollar contract to a guy coming off an achilles tendon injury.
That'd be like the board of Merill Lynch hiring a new CEO who was recovering from brain surgery.

MyFavMartin
07-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Appears that Clippers could match the Brand offer and still be under the lux tax cap.

CableKC
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Wow.....Warriors just one-upped the Clippers by not only giving them the proverbial "middle finger" by making an offer to Brand.

rexnom
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Nice Dubs, driving up Brand's price, limiting the Clips' FA opportunities and tying up their full cap.

2minutes twowa
07-02-2008, 03:45 PM
because he is the post-scorer they've been after?

IMO Al is a better player when he's in the post, but you have to convince him to stop hoisting up 3's.

Los Angeles
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Seeing the Warriors squirm pleases me.

ajbry
07-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Getting Brand, while re-signing Monta and Biedrins is a winning offseason to me... I'd like to see it happen, $90 mil is cool with me.

rexnom
07-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I think there's about 0% chance that Brand is going to the Bay. I think he and Davis pre-arranged that deal so they could be teammates.

wintermute
07-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I think there's about 0% chance that Brand is going to the Bay. I think he and Davis pre-arranged that deal so they could be teammates.

i think so too. there's been some speculation on that

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468389

Brand's agent, David Falk, said the forward wants to see the Clippers sign a quality free agent and try to assemble a winning team in Los Angeles.

Falk said a visit to Boston for Game 2 of the NBA Finals influenced Brand's decision to opt out.

"He watched what happened when a few stars get together and agree to have a communal effort," Falk said. "He said 'That's what I'd like to accomplish in my career.'"

i think golden state would have been better off making a big offer to someone like josh smith. brand isn't leaving the clippers.

count55
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I think we, as Pacer fans, probably would like to see Brand take the GS offer, particularly in light of our efforts to extend Danny. Though this may just be a "**** you, LA" move by GS, it does appear that they aren't shy about throwing large amounts of money at somebody. The last thing we want to happen is have them bring that loose money into the Josh Smith/Andre Iguodala market, which could significantly inflate both those guys' and Danny's market price.

(Plus, it would be a fascinating sociological exercise to see if Don Nelson could actually control his inner demons and play a bona fide big guy. It would be interesting to watch the inner argument between Nelson's ideology and his sense of practical basketball.)

CableKC
07-03-2008, 11:26 AM
If there does appear to be some "pre-arranged" deal that the Clippers had with Baron ( specifically they had a "nudge nudge wink wink" deal in hand before the Free Agency period started ), isn't there rules against teams approaching Free Agents before the Free Agency period begins?

Maybe I am stretching here.....but isn't this similiar to what happened with Joe Smith and the TWolves?

rexnom
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
If there does appear to be some "pre-arranged" deal that the Clippers had with Baron ( specifically they had a "nudge nudge wink wink" deal in hand before the Free Agency period started ), isn't there rules against teams approaching Free Agents before the Free Agency period begins?

Maybe I am stretching here.....but isn't this similiar to what happened with Joe Smith and the TWolves?
If they can prove the under-the-table deal then it's bad for all parties involved. I don't think anybody really cares that much though. BD and Brand could have just as likely figured things out on their own.

count55
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM

Well, Joe Smith was offered well below market value for a year on the promise that he would be paid much, much more in a later contract.

In this case, I don't think there's any tampering. When courting Baron Davis, the Clips could say "We have every intention of re-signing Elton Brand" without violating any tampering rules. Davis could, independently, talk to Brand to confirm it, and everybody would be on the up & up.

At the same time, the Brand and the Clippers could agree that the best way to allow the team to bring in more talent would be for Brand to opt out, giving the Clips room to make a run at a free agent. They could even say that they were targeting Baron Davis, among others, without violating tampering rules.

As long as the Clippers did not approach Davis with an offer prior to him opting out of his contract with the Warriors, then there is no tampering. They're free to negotiate with both players openly using a single strategy. In fact, if it happened in this order: (1) Baron Davis opts out of GS contract, (2) the Clips contact Davis and get a price, (3) the Clips tell Brand that they can sign Davis, but Elton will need to opt out, then re-sign, (4) they sign first Davis, then Brand...then it would all be perfectly legal. At least, that how me and my 18 seconds of law experience would read the rules.

rexnom
07-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Well, Joe Smith was offered well below market value for a year on the promise that he would be paid much, much more in a later contract.

In this case, I don't think there's any tampering. When courting Baron Davis, the Clips could say "We have every intention of re-signing Elton Brand" without violating any tampering rules. Davis could, independently, talk to Brand to confirm it, and everybody would be on the up & up.

At the same time, the Brand and the Clippers could agree that the best way to allow the team to bring in more talent would be for Brand to opt out, giving the Clips room to make a run at a free agent. They could even say that they were targeting Baron Davis, among others, without violating tampering rules.

As long as the Clippers did not approach Davis with an offer prior to him opting out of his contract with the Warriors, then there is no tampering. They're free to negotiate with both players openly using a single strategy. In fact, if it happened in this order: (1) Baron Davis opts out of GS contract, (2) the Clips contact Davis and get a price, (3) the Clips tell Brand that they can sign Davis, but Elton will need to opt out, then re-sign, (4) they sign first Davis, then Brand...then it would all be perfectly legal. At least, that how me and my 18 seconds of law experience would read the rules.
The only thing is that I doubt that BD opted out without already talking to the Clips about a deal. He left a lot of money on the table and he's taking a pay cut.

avoidingtheclowns
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
The only thing is that I doubt that BD opted out without already talking to the Clips about a deal. He left a lot of money on the table and he's taking a pay cut.

if he only talked to brand it would still be kosher. just the same way TJ and JO can discuss the trade but the organizations can only call it 'speculation.' people were fairly certain maggette was opting out and if brand opted out they would have a ton of cap room to sign a big free agent. i doubt money was discussed at all with baron. all he needed to know was that LA was going to have cap room and that they had they were going to 'try' and re-sign brand. baron made this move for location and brand mostly - clearly not the money.

count55
07-03-2008, 12:00 PM

That's true, but it had also been rumored for a quite some time that he was going to opt out. It's not unreasonable to think that he opted out as a "**** you" move to GS, figuring (correctly) that he'd be able to get a big money contract from Golden State or someone else, then gave a discount to the Clips because of (a) the presence of Brand and (b) the hometown factor.

Also, I'm not convinced that he "left a lot of money on the table". He opted out of $17.8mm next year to get a reported 5 years at $65mm. Assuming a flat contract ($13mm/yr) at a 10% CofC rate, that's still trading $17.8mm for $49.3mm. If it's front end loaded, then it's even better.

Also, it's unclear how much of a discount Baron gave the Clips, if any. By the end of this contract, Davis will be 34 years old. Prior to last season's 82 game performance, Baron had missed an average of just under 20 games per season in the preceding 5 seasons. The low was 15 games, the high was 36.

Ultimately, I don't think it was necessary for the Clips to cheat to get this deal done.