PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now? Interesting Rick Smits video.

Will Galen
06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3466104&categoryId=2459788&n8pe6c=2

I always liked Rick Smits! Here's a video of him riding motorcross.

Kid Minneapolis
06-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Good stuff. :)

MagicRat
06-30-2008, 09:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3466104&categoryId=2459788&n8pe6c=2

I always liked Rick Smits! Here's a video of him riding motorcross.

Thanks, Wil.......

Roaming Gnome
06-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Awsome. I'm glad to see him do something that he enjoys so much. I can easily see why he chose to move on if riding was prohibited while he was under contract.

Robertmto
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
he played in an adult basketball league up in zionsville earlier this year too.

we played in the league right before they played every week. Guy still dunks with ease.

Indra
06-30-2008, 10:23 PM
That made me happy and sad. Happy to see he's doing well and enjoying himself, and sad to see him go :( We could use a quality character like him in our organization.

Will Galen
07-01-2008, 08:44 AM
You know if Rick had had good feet I think he could still be playing. Well maybe not, he is 40. However if he was playing center on the team that won 61 games we might have went all the way. Never know.

NuffSaid
07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Will,

Thanks for the clip.

Indra,

I'm with you. I have mixed feeling about him no longer playing ball, too. And since you touched upon it somewhat I still wonder what this team would have done had the '99-00 team stayed together. But that's another story...

It was good to see Rik doing something he enjoys doing w/o worrying about what others think. I did get a laugh out of watching him ride his dirt bike. He's a giant compared to his competition! :p But it's cool! Didn't know he still played ball occassionally though. I wonder if Bird/Herb would consider hiring him as a big man coach? :confused:

Ownagedood
07-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I always liked Rick Smits!
As a player or a person?? As a player he was cool.. But as a person I remember him being an a hole.. I was young, but if I remember correctly he was quite the jerk.. Even to fans.

Hicks
07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Everything, and I mean everything, I've ever seen, heard, or read from Rik Smits has told me he's a terrific person. Your post is the first time I've ever come close to encountering a contradiction to that idea.

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Everything, and I mean everything, I've ever seen, heard, or read from Rik Smits has told me he's a terrific person. Your post is the first time I've ever come close to encountering a contradiction to that idea.

My first Pacers' game I went to back in 1997, we were down on the floor getting autographs before the game, and I asked him for one. He was a little "snubbish" and told me no, but I'm sure he was busy or something, I was young and could have taken it the wrong way back then.

Everytime I see him now he talkes to me for a few minutes, and at one point I finally got that elusive autograph.

Bball
07-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I've seen or heard nothing to make me think Smits was an A-hole. I've watched him sign autographs and chat with fans at a game before (after he retired) and he had a smile on his face the whole time.

-Bball

PacerPete
07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
As a player or a person?? As a player he was cool.. But as a person I remember him being an a hole.. I was young, but if I remember correctly he was quite the jerk.. Even to fans.

That might explain my personal experience with him. I put it off to being tired and feeling put upon. I didn't think of him being a jerk, as much as I thought of myself as being one. With the comments here, maybe I was too hard on myself.

Robertmto
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Rik a jerk??? The guy still signs autographs to this day. And he's pretty damn funny too.

He dunks on a guy, runs down court, "too easy"

it was great

Hoop
07-02-2008, 01:31 AM
I've seen him at a few car shows and at the drag strip and he was always very nice to everyone.

I always liked Rik, he's my 2nd favorite Pacer of all time.

Lord Helmet
07-02-2008, 05:28 AM
I wish I could have seen him play more.....

Unclebuck
07-02-2008, 09:03 AM
From everything I know Rik Smits was probably the most down-to-earth and nicest people ever to put on a Pacers uniform. Just a fun guy to hang around with, and someone without an once of pretense.

But as a player, his game drove me crazy - most of the time