PDA

View Full Version : Carl Landry - Ideal PF for Pacers?

docpaul
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
This guy is all power, and a rebounding/scoring machine when he gets the playing time. If I remember correctly, he torched us at some point this season. I followed him pretty closely last year, and although he's undersized (6'7"), he's damn impressive in the post.

He just got a qualifying offer from the Rockets today, but I'm telling you, he's a breakout waiting to happen. :)

duke dynamite
06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
If he is a free-agent, let's sign him to a one year deal. I'm sure if he does well we can work something out.

He is a nice product from VU. He played well there until he transferred to Purdue, in which he got better.

That injury he sustained against us really hurt his performance in the playoffs, but he is a PF and he is what we need. Not exactly a starter, but he will produce.

MyFavMartin
06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
hoopshype has it listed as a team option for him at 0.7 mil. they're not the best source for contract info, but considering how well he played for them, if there is an option, they will pick it up.

he actually grew during his college years at purdue and espn has his height wrong. it's either 6'8" or 6'9".

he would be a great addition to the pacers. houston might be willing to deal him as he and scola were splitting time last year and started scola over landry consistently.

edit/note: nbadraft has him at 6'9" (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/carllandry.html)

Ownagedood
06-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Ya, Landry is good.. But he's basically the same as D.J. White.. And you could probably get him for cheaper.. Being an IU fan I have seen a lot from both White and Landry.. They play the same. White is a little better at defense.

rock747
06-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I thought about this the other day... It would be great if they could somehow nab him.

docpaul
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
This guy is all power, and a rebounding/scoring machine when he gets the playing time. If I remember correctly, he torched us at some point this season. I followed him pretty closely last year, and although he's undersized (6'7"), he's damn impressive in the post.

He just got a qualifying offer from the Rockets today, but I'm telling you, he's a breakout waiting to happen. :)

I continue to keep my fingers crossed. :)

deekay85
07-01-2008, 01:20 PM
he actually grew during his college years at purdue and espn has his height wrong. it's either 6'8" or 6'9".

edit/note: nbadraft has him at 6'9" (http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/carllandry.html)

draftexpress: 6'8.5'' with shoes (without 6'7.75'') :teach:

Justin Tyme
07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
If he is a free-agent, let's sign him to a one year deal.

Are you sure you can sign a player to a 1 year deal? Maybe a 3 year deal where the 1st year is guaranteed and the next 2 are unguaranteed like KVH. But why would Landry want a 1 year type of a deal? To be honest if I was Landry and a team offered that type deal I'd be highly insulted. You aren't going to get Landry for nothing. Houston isn't going to let that happen after giving him a qualifying offer. My guess is Houston sees his value more than others, and they aren't going to let him go.

Speed
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Interesting, sounds like there may be something to this.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

"The one area the Pacers weren't able to address was power forward. With Jermaine O'Neal in Toronto, Troy Murphy is the likely starter with no proven backup.

There are strong indications the Pacers have interest in Carl Landry.

The 6-9 former Purdue player averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds this past season as a rookie with Houston and is currently a restricted free agent.

It seems logical the mid-level exception of $5.58 million would be more than enough to land Landry, if the Pacers chose to go that route.

Bird said power forward was an area the team would like to address, whether that's this year or down the road when the Pacers have significant cap space available and could pursue a big-name free agent, Bird wouldn't say.

"You always need post players that can score. That's an area we're concerned about, an area we're not as strong in as the others," Bird said. "But Troy's been working out all summer. He'll come back and do his thing."

The Rockets have asked for more testing on Landry's right knee, but Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told the Houston Chronicle that's posturing on the part of Rockets general manager Daryl Morey.
"Obviously, I view it as a move in his part to undercut his value and dissuade the interest he has garnered," Baker told the Chronicle. "The reverse has happened. Teams have taken the position that he will not match offers. That has opened the floodgates. They are operating as if he (Landry) was an unrestricted free agent."

Landry tore the ACL in his right knee in college and missed seven games with the Rockets due to a sore left knee, but came back for the playoffs.

A stat worth tossing out? The Rockets were 30-6 when Landry played 11 minutes or more, 25-21 when he played 10 or less or was out of the lineup."

idioteque
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm a bit leery on small PF's now that the Ike Diogu "gem of the trade" era has passed us by.

What makes Laundry better than Ike? I've hardly seen him play so I don't have any idea of his skill set.

Rajah Brown
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I can't stand PUke and love IU. But Landry is a much better player than
DJ is facing the bucket.

CableKC
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
hoopshype has it listed as a team option for him at 0.7 mil. they're not the best source for contract info, but considering how well he played for them, if there is an option, they will pick it up.

he would be a great addition to the pacers. houston might be willing to deal him as he and scola were splitting time last year and started scola over landry consistently.

I checked on Draftexpress and his official measurements ( in the 2007 pre-draft ) was 6'8" with shoes. Hopefully he has grown...but I get the sense that his game is similiar to Paul Milsap.

If he can be had for a $3-4 mil per year / 3-4 year contract ( similiar to what Turiaf got )...then I would be okay with that.

I don't think that Murphy is going anywhere soon and think that he will be our Starting PF for the next 2 seasons. Although we do have a need for a Low-Post scoring PF....at most...I want to only pay "backup $$" to acquire one.

CableKC
07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm a bit leery on small PF's now that the Ike Diogu "gem of the trade" era has passed us by.

What makes Laundry better than Ike? I've hardly seen him play so I don't have any idea of his skill set.
Maybe Landry plays better defense?

dgranger
07-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Landry is more of a team player, and dosent shoot the ball everytime he gets it. He isnt the offensive player Ike is, but he is better all around.

Isaac
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM

I haven't seen a ton of Landry other than when he made our frontcourt look like a bunch of 7 year olds and a couple other games this year with Houston, but his basketball smarts and overall agility is miles ahead of Ike.

He's a very energetic player who is a good offensive rebounder and finisher. Think the way Leon Powe played in a couple of those playoff games and in the finals. That's Carl Landry.

SpADeD
07-10-2008, 01:40 PM

If I remember correctly the guy is all hustle. In the playoffs there was one instance where he out hustled the other team for an offensive rebound like 4 times in one trip down the court. Didn't he also lose a tooth and kept playing also?

Unclebuck
07-10-2008, 01:43 PM

IMO though, on Ike's list of problems, his size was probably number 7 or 8. He had many other things that were more worrisome

Young
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
If we could sign Landry to a reasonable deal, 3 years and under 5 million per then i'm all for it.

When you can play you can play. Regardless of his size he has proven he can play in the league. He isn't a star player but he is good and productive. He would be a welcome addition to this team.

Anthem
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Who are we going to move to make room for the kid? Murphy? Foster? Shawne?

Hicks
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Get Houston to sign and trade him for Murphy. I'm sure no one would mind paying Carl that much. :devil:

rexnom
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Ugh. The only part of this I hate. Landry could be good long-term and I would be comfortable with a Landry-Shawne tandem at PF.

naptownmenace
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
He averaged 8 points and 5 rebounds in his rookie season and while coming off the bench. That's some potential you can get excited about. He has a knack for scoring inside the paint, boxes out well, and is a decent defender.

The comparisons to Leon Powe and Paul Milsap are right on the money. He also reminds me of our own Antonio Davis. I bet if you compare their rookie season numbers they're almost identical.

Wasn't Houston one of the teams interested in Foster at the trade deadline last year? Foster makes 5.5 million this year and is an expiring contract. I think Houston might be willing to do a sign and trade considering that they have still have Scola to start at PF.

rexnom
07-10-2008, 02:40 PM
He averaged 8 points and 5 rebounds in his rookie season and while coming off the bench. That's some potential you can get excited about. He has a knack for scoring inside the paint, boxes out well, and is a decent defender.

The comparisons to Leon Powe and Paul Milsap are right on the money. He also reminds me of our own Antonio Davis. I bet if you compare their rookie season numbers they're almost identical.

Wasn't Houston one of the teams interested in Foster at the trade deadline last year? Foster makes 5.5 million this year and is an expiring contract. I think Houston might be willing to do a sign and trade considering that they have still have Scola to start at PF.
Landry for Foster actually kinda makes sense. Then again, why give up Foster if we can just sign Landry outright? I'd do Foster for Landry and a 1st.

Speed
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
IMO though, on Ike's list of problems, his size was probably number 7 or 8. He had many other things that were more worrisome

B ball IQ being #1.

I said this before Landry's tough, not in a "I know where you" live sorta way, but in a "I don't care if you knock out ALL of my teeth I'm going to get this rebound", sorta way, imho.

I love the guy as a back up Pf, I'm not sure he's ever a starting PF on a really good team, but he's a rotation guy potentially for a really good team. I agree, if you can get him for back up money, he's a steal. He'll give you a chance to win 10 mores games every year based on chemistry, toughness, and hustle alone, I think, but I think the days of overpaying are over, I hope.

Speed
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM

NO, No, and yes. Baston and/or McRoberts would be possible trade/let go options. Heck, if you're really sold on him, you could drop Grahm.

I take it back, if you could trade Murphy's contract and get back Landry at 3-4 million a year and an expiring contract, you have to do it, imo.

Speed
07-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I would be comfortable with a Landry-Shawne tandem at PF.

Not me, I think that makes Landry the starter, I'm not sure he is.

idioteque
07-10-2008, 03:02 PM

FWIW it wouldn't surprise me if this last season of Jeff's contract is his last as a Pacer.

pacers08
07-10-2008, 03:06 PM
i think we need to take this guy cause imagine the lineup we would have then man we would make it to the playoffs then

idioteque
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
i think we need to take this guy cause imagine the lineup we would have then man we would make it to the playoffs then

If Landry is what the Pacers think could be a long term viable starting option at PF, then I'm all for it.

However, if Bird things with our expirings would could get someone much better down the line, I'm totally against it. I don't want Bird to band-aid this team up so we make the playoffs next season, I'm fine with a rebuilding process of 3 or so years if necessary. I'd rather win the NBA Finals in 5 years than get knocked out of the second round for the next 5 years in two years.

Justin Tyme
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
NO, No, and yes. Baston and/or McRoberts would be possible trade/let go options. Heck, if you're really sold on him, you could drop Grahm.

I take it back, if you could trade Murphy's contract and get back Landry at 3-4 million a year and an expiring contract, you have to do it, imo.

I originally thought Baston and McDud which would give Houston 2 expirings with help up front, but then I remembered they got Dorsey from Portland in a trade.

How about Landry(4-5 mil) and Francis(2.6 mil expiring) for Quis( 6.8 mil team option) and Williams(1.6 mil)?

The Pacers get a POWER forward, and still get 2.6 mil expiring. The trade gives Graham the opportunity to get PT.

Houston gets a young with "P", and a multi-positional vet with a team option.

2minutes twowa
07-10-2008, 03:26 PM
If Landry is what the Pacers think could be a long term viable starting option at PF, then I'm all for it.

However, if Bird things with our expirings would could get someone much better down the line, I'm totally against it. I don't want Bird to band-aid this team up so we make the playoffs next season, I'm fine with a rebuilding process of 3 or so years if necessary. I'd rather win the NBA Finals in 5 years than get knocked out of the second round for the next 5 years in two years.

:iagree:

docpaul
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Interesting, sounds like there may be something to this.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

"The one area the Pacers weren't able to address was power forward. With Jermaine O'Neal in Toronto, Troy Murphy is the likely starter with no proven backup.

There are strong indications the Pacers have interest in Carl Landry.

The 6-9 former Purdue player averaged 8.1 points and 4.9 rebounds this past season as a rookie with Houston and is currently a restricted free agent.

It seems logical the mid-level exception of $5.58 million would be more than enough to land Landry, if the Pacers chose to go that route.

Bird said power forward was an area the team would like to address, whether that's this year or down the road when the Pacers have significant cap space available and could pursue a big-name free agent, Bird wouldn't say.

"You always need post players that can score. That's an area we're concerned about, an area we're not as strong in as the others," Bird said. "But Troy's been working out all summer. He'll come back and do his thing."

The Rockets have asked for more testing on Landry's right knee, but Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, told the Houston Chronicle that's posturing on the part of Rockets general manager Daryl Morey.
"Obviously, I view it as a move in his part to undercut his value and dissuade the interest he has garnered," Baker told the Chronicle. "The reverse has happened. Teams have taken the position that he will not match offers. That has opened the floodgates. They are operating as if he (Landry) was an unrestricted free agent."

Landry tore the ACL in his right knee in college and missed seven games with the Rockets due to a sore left knee, but came back for the playoffs.

A stat worth tossing out? The Rockets were 30-6 when Landry played 11 minutes or more, 25-21 when he played 10 or less or was out of the lineup."

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! Hopefully I'll be able to use my hands here at some point. :)

Anthem
07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I like Landry, but I'm not crazy about him. And we have guys that will be more productive at that spot.

While I'd be fine with moving Quis and Shawne, there's no pressure to do so. Unless we're getting somebody better than Rasho/Foster/Murph/Hibbert, I don't understand why we'd spend the money.

Enough already with the signing of backups.

grace
07-10-2008, 03:57 PM

Yes. At least I would.

docpaul
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
I like Landry, but I'm not crazy about him. And we have guys that will be more productive at that spot.

While I'd be fine with moving Quis and Shawne, there's no pressure to do so. Unless we're getting somebody better than Rasho/Foster/Murph/Hibbert, I don't understand why we'd spend the money.

He's an upside potential pick. He was quite productive when given the opportunity. Go take a hard look at the data, and see for yourself.

I'm not sure it's valid to compare Landry to Rasho/Foster/Hibbert (they're centers). It's perfectly valid to compare to Murphy, and I think he'd be quite complementary to him.

Danny Granger was a backup at one point in his career, as well. My gut is telling me that Landry has a lot of potential, and given we can get a short term, 2-4mil/year deal... I think he'd be worth a flyer.

Now is the time (as we rebuild) to take some low risk stabs at demonstrated potential.

Just MHO.

BillS
07-10-2008, 04:40 PM

3 more years at the bottom of the league and missing the playoffs and there won't BE an Indiana Pacers team to win the championship.

We have to get the attendance back up with some competitive ball, not go back to "hang the curtains" days while taking a chance on lottery picks and developing players.

It amazes me how many people think that we'll be able to go lottery lottery lottery championship. After all, so many teams have done that.

Justin Tyme
07-10-2008, 04:45 PM

B/c he's a POWER FORWARD! Murphy is a 3 point shooter who does NOT have what it takes to mix it up. Most of Murphy's rebounds fall in his lap. He's not in the thick of things being physical rippingng rebounds away from the opposing players. He doesn't have the tuffness, and Foster doesn't have an offensive game. Landry has both.

The kid has one season of play and you have designated him as a perpetual career B/U who won't/can't ever get better. What's your reasoning?

IIRC, you aren't a big Murphy fan, so if the Pacers can get a young'n with tuffness, scoring ability inside and out, can reb, and at 40-50% of Murphy's salary what's the problem? You surely aren't being a biased IU fan? Now fess up.

pianoman
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm all for him coming here. I think he would be a great addition, and a great prospect.

Justin Tyme
07-10-2008, 04:55 PM
He's an upside potential pick. He was quite productive when given the opportunity. Go take a hard look at the data, and see for yourself.

I'm not sure it's valid to compare Landry to Rasho/Foster/Hibbert (they're centers). It's perfectly valid to compare to Murphy, and I think he'd be quite complementary to him.

Danny Granger was a backup at one point in his career, as well. My gut is telling me that Landry has a lot of potential, and given we can get a short term, 2-4mil/year deal... I think he'd be worth a flyer.

Now is the time (as we rebuild) to take some low risk stabs at demonstrated potential.

Just MHO.

Absolutely!

I want to win, not perpetually picking #11 in the lottery. Landry is Bird's type player... good BB IQ, hardnose giving no quarter, plays to win, produces, and no baggage. The type of player the Pacers need!

Anthem
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
IIRC, you aren't a big Murphy fan, so if the Pacers can get a young'n with tuffness, scoring ability inside and out, can reb, and at 40-50% of Murphy's salary what's the problem?
The problem is that you're still paying Murphy. If we could trade Murphy for Landry I'd do it in a heartbeat. I liked the kid when he played against us (didn't watch him in college). But there's no reason to go out and buy a backup when we don't need a backup.

Raskolnikov
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
It's not because he was a backup with the Rockets (as a rookie) that he can't be a quality starter for us.

Justin Tyme
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
The problem is that you're still paying Murphy. If we could trade Murphy for Landry I'd do it in a heartbeat. I liked the kid when he played against us (didn't watch him in college). But there's no reason to go out and buy a backup when we don't need a backup.

The problem with your thinking is Murphy is going to be here until he's an expiring... 2 + more years. Meantime what are the Pacers going to do for 2+ years? Even if they trade for another PF next year, Murphy will still be here and being paid. The Pacers need a POWER FORWARD who gets in the trenches and gets dirty. He's the exact opposite of Murphy, so if nothing else they can compliment each other. Williams is a poor rebounder, isn't physical, and a 3 pt shooter. Don't need another one of those. Foster has no offensive game. Landry has the package. The chances of the Pacers getting Landry are nil and next to none, but it still doesn't change my feeling he'd be a good player for the Pacers. One I think Pacer fans would truly enjoy watching play in BLUE N GOLD. JMOAA

Anthem
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
he'd be a good player for the Pacers. One I think Pacer fans would truly enjoy watching play in BLUE N GOLD.
But that's true of lots of players. There's lots of players I'd like in the Blue and Gold. But it doesn't make good business sense.

Our frontline is adequate. Not awesome, but adequate. If you sink 4mil into Landry then you have a third of your cap (~$20mil) invested in power forwards with nobody really great at that position.

Right now the PF rotation is Foster/Murphy, with Shawne getting spot minutes. Unless you move one of those guys (or two, including Shawne), it's not worth adding another PF unless he's clearly better than both.

Which Landry isn't.

MyFavMartin
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
B ball IQ being #1.

I said this before Landry's tough, not in a "I know where you" live sorta way, but in a "I don't care if you knock out ALL of my teeth I'm going to get this rebound", sorta way, imho.

I love the guy as a back up Pf, I'm not sure he's ever a starting PF on a really good team, but he's a rotation guy potentially for a really good team. I agree, if you can get him for back up money, he's a steal. He'll give you a chance to win 10 mores games every year based on chemistry, toughness, and hustle alone, I think, but I think the days of overpaying are over, I hope.

Agreed.

And this from a Boiler.

MyFavMartin
07-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see the Pacers sign James Augustine, former U of I player. He'd be a good guy on the end of the bench that has good size and bball IQ... helps coming out of the Big Ten. He might develop into a decent depth of bench guy.

Guess though that our roster is fairly set with 16 guys and one needing cut.

Haggard
07-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I dont think Landry is the answer right now for our 4 spot.. If we could get him to run off the bench then that would be great but I feel that we need to bring in a legit starter PF

wintermute
07-11-2008, 03:09 AM
about those "strong indications" the star reported...

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2008/07/landry_now_or_b.html

Before people get carried away, let's be clear on one point related to Carl Landry. I didn't say there were strong indications the Pacers would pick up Landry. I said there were strong indications the Pacers are interested.

One person asked what 'strong indications' mean? Fair question. Let's just say it's the same thing I was referencing in my predraft post about where George Hill and Courtney Lee would likely end up.

I do know a number of NBA teams are interested in Landry, so it isn't as if the Pacers can simply make a phone call and it's a done deal -- if they choose to go that route. There are conflicting reports about how much the Rockets want him back and whether they're concerned about his knee or using it to attempt to drive down the price.

It stands to reason, though, that a guy who spent his entire college career in Indiana - Vincennes and then Purdue -- and is from Wisconsin, would be very comfortable in the Midwest.

The Pacers, however, could have a lot of cap space in the next few years. They have only $38.3 million committed in 2009-10 in Troy Murphy ($11m), Mike Dunleavy ($9.8m), T.J. Ford ($8.5m), Jamaal Tinsley ($7.2) and Travis Diener (player option for $1.7m). Tinsley looks like he'll be gone, but it's possible he could still count against the cap and we're talking cap money.

in other words, it's a whole lot of nothing :rolleyes:

grace
07-11-2008, 03:21 AM
about those "strong indications" the star reported...

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2008/07/landry_now_or_b.html

in other words, it's a whole lot of nothing :rolleyes:

A whole lot of nothing is pretty much all "scoops" involving the Pacers every amount to.

Eindar
07-11-2008, 04:51 AM
I like him as a backup, but not as a starter. If we could get him for around $4 million per year, I'd do it. Foster is expiring this year, and we really do need some toughness and post play off the bench. The problem is that we already have 16 people on the roster, so unless we make a 2-for-1 trade and also buyout Tinsley, we simply don't have room for him on the roster.

MillerTime
07-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Not me, I think that makes Landry the starter, I'm not sure he is.

Landry would be a guy off the bench to being in energy

MillerTime
07-11-2008, 06:28 AM
The Pacers would be lucky to get this guy. Hes going to be really good. A little undersized but he knows how to use his body well... ESPN had him ranked at the 5th best rookie last season http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings?season=2008 ... Pacers will regret if they pass on him

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 07:23 AM
I dont think Landry is the answer right now for our 4 spot.. If we could get him to run off the bench then that would be great but I feel that we need to bring in a legit starter PF

And just exactly where are you going to find this legit starting PF that has the same qualities as Landry? Not to mention not taking up a tremendous amount of the cap savings in salary?

I find it amazing that posters think that Williams is great, and even PF material, yet Williams is pushing it to garner 3 rebounds a game in the Summer League. Williams is averaging more TO's than rebs in the Summer League! Yet, the view by many is that Landry is just benchwarmer fodder that can't be starter. LOL!

Ah, just the thought of watching that brute PF Murphy sends chills of excitement throughout Pacerland, BUT Bird said Murphy has been really working out hard this off season to improve his game. For Bird's sake, I hope he has, and his new game shows up. The Pacers are going to be needing all that new found "D" and inside play!

Speed
07-11-2008, 07:34 AM
And just exactly where are you going to find this legit starting PF that has the same qualities as Landry? Not to mention not taking up a tremendous amount of the cap savings in salary?

I find it amazing that posters think that Williams is great, and even PF material, yet Williams is pushing it to garner 3 rebounds a game in the Summer League. Williams is averaging more TO's than rebs in the Summer League! Yet, the view by many is that Landry is just benchwarmer fodder that can't be starter. LOL!

Ah, just the thought of watching that brute PF Murphy sends chills of excitement throughout Pacerland, BUT Bird said Murphy has been really working out hard this off season to improve his game. For Bird's sake, I hope he has, and his new game shows up. The Pacers are going to be needing all that new found "D" and inside play!

I don't think Shawne is a PF, for sure not at his age/game right now. They want him to be because that is what they need.

I don't think Murphy is a Post player or the answer, completely and especially on D.

I think Phillie just proved you do have a chance to get a starting PF and arguably Toronto.

It's no knock on Landry, I just like him off the bench and on the Roster, I'd prefer a back to the basket/low post threat at one of the PF or C position. I think it's more advantageous to not match up Landry with Bosh or Brand or Rasheed night in and nigh out, to get his full value to a team.

MillerTime
07-11-2008, 07:38 AM
you guys have to remember....the only reason why Rockets havent signed Landry is because of his knee. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5867051.html ... Theyre going to sign him. I think Bird should make an offer to Landry and see if Rockets match it

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 08:16 AM
The Pacers would be lucky to get this guy. Hes going to be really good. A little undersized but he knows how to use his body well... ESPN had him ranked at the 5th best rookie last season http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings?season=2008 ... Pacers will regret if they pass on him

I agree, but some can't see the forest for the trees. Maybe, they just can't see past him being from Purdue.

As far as I'm concerned, it would be a mistake to pass on Landry, but under the circumstances with some posters views it would be better Landry go to another team where he would be appreciated for the type of player he is. The appreciation for the type of player he is, and what he can bring as a Pacer isn't in Pacerland. As I did last year, I'll continue to monitor his play, and wish him success in all 82 games this coming season no matter what team he plays for or against.

Speed
07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
So he can't come to the Pacers because he's not liked enough by the Pacer fans?

I love the guy, I love his hustle and toughness.

I love to see an Indiana college kid do well from ANY Indiana college.

I just don't think as a PACER fan that you want to overpay for anyone, so you have to be careful.

Or that he hasn't proven to be a starter in the league, which he just hasn't.

No Hidden agendas here. The franchise is really just coming out of a bad contract, bad lockeroom, poorly ran era the last 4 years and you REALLY have to be careful to not kick dirt back on yourself while your still in the hole.

MillerTime
07-11-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree, but some can't see the forest for the trees. Maybe, they just can't see past him being from Purdue.

As far as I'm concerned, it would be a mistake to pass on Landry, but under the circumstances with some posters views it would be better Landry go to another team where he would be appreciated for the type of player he is. The appreciation for the type of player he is, and what he can bring as a Pacer isn't in Pacerland. As I did last year, I'll continue to monitor his play, and wish him success in all 82 games this coming season no matter what team he plays for or against.

Why would Landry be better off somewhere else? We're in need of big men, this would be a perfect situation for Landry to show off his. His mins wont be limited and if he can prove to be a decent PF he might even start, considering we dont have any real threats at the PF poisition (putting Murphy at C)

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Why would Landry be better off somewhere else? We're in need of big men, this would be a perfect situation for Landry to show off his. His mins wont be limited and if he can prove to be a decent PF he might even start, considering we dont have any real threats at the PF poisition (putting Murphy at C)

As I said, some can't see the forest for the trees. Re-read my posts in this thread. I feel Landry is what the Pacers need at POWER FORWARD. A few feel the same as you and I do, but most don't.

It reminds me of posting over the last year on different boards of trading with Portland for Jack and Frye only to be chastized about how terrible players they are. Yet, when Jack is traded for, he becomes a wonderful addition to the Pacers! How funny.

Same applies with my posting against keeping JO for that all so wonderful expiring contract. He gets traded and everything is great in Pacerland.

BUT now, we don't want to use any cap space to sign Landry at a reasonable salary. How frustrating that people can't see the forest for the trees, thus my comment let Landry go to a team who fans will appreciate him.

I want to win, and I want to do it with players like Landry and Jack. I'm looking to the present and to the future while others are having a case of tunnel vision now that there is some cap space. I'm not wanting a Brand ball buster salary player where the Pacers won't have any room to do other things in the future, but what's wrong with getting a Jeff Foster type player that can SCORE at a salary less than Foster's? Players and opportunities like this don't come along everyday. You need to take advantage of the opportunities when they avail themselves. Portland has, and they are building a nice team for the future. Why not the Pacers? JMOAA

bigdl
07-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Landry is EXACTLY the type of player the Pacers should be adding. He fits our need for a PF to a tee, and would be an excellent addition.

Our problem: we are in the middle of exploring whether we can get rid of the Tin man for something other than a buyout. The logical return is a PF, and Houston is not one of the teams that would appear to be a trading partner.

It would be great to swing some kind of deal where we get Landry and somebody gets JT and then ships something to Houston...........but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Sometimes, you can only do so much when your'e in the process of shedding salaries and your hands are mostly tied. That is the case with the Pacers, and a player like Landry just may not be attainable at this time, no matter how tempting.

CableKC
07-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I like him as a backup, but not as a starter. If we could get him for around $4 million per year, I'd do it. Foster is expiring this year, and we really do need some toughness and post play off the bench. The problem is that we already have 16 people on the roster, so unless we make a 2-for-1 trade and also buyout Tinsley, we simply don't have room for him on the roster.
Buyout ( or trade ) Tinsley and McRoberts and we would be down to a 14 man roster.

CableKC
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Our frontline is adequate. Not awesome, but adequate. If you sink 4mil into Landry then you have a third of your cap (~$20mil) invested in power forwards with nobody really great at that position.

Right now the PF rotation is Foster/Murphy, with Shawne getting spot minutes. Unless you move one of those guys (or two, including Shawne), it's not worth adding another PF unless he's clearly better than both.

Which Landry isn't.
IMHO....the only way that you can improve the PF rotation is if you move Murphy and his $11mil avg per year / $33 mil contract. The way I look at it is that Murphy is our Starting PF ( or at least will get the bulk of the PF minutes ) until he is traded or comes off the book in 2010-2011.

Because I am one of the few that thinks that we should resign Foster next season, expect that Tinsley is bought out ( therefore will count towards our cap ) and don't expect to see Murphy and/or Dunleavy moved anytime soon.....I just don't think that we have the resources to acquire a Starting quality Low-Post scoring PF.

Based off of my calculations for how much we can afford to spend for the 2009-2010 season ( after extending/resigning Granger, Jack and...hopefully...Foster ), I wouldn't mind signing Landry AS A BACKUP PF for some deal starting at $4mil.

Does anyone have a list of 2009 Free Agent PFs that the Pacers can aquire in Free Agency that would likely cost about $9-10 mil?

If there is a Starting quality PF that we can aquire via Free Agency ( or trade ) that is better then having Foster and Landry in the Big Man rotation for the next couple of seasons....then I can see passing on Landry and ( therefore resigning ) Foster.

Otherwise....I wouldn't mind having a Big Man rotation of Murphy/Hibbert/Foster/Landry for the next 3 seasons. It may not be flashy....but I don't think we need flashy since our offense comes primarily from the PG/SG/SF rotation. I think we need a hard working Big Man rotation that can pull down offensive rebounds, defend, provide toughness in the paint and score when needed.

docpaul
07-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Landry is EXACTLY the type of player the Pacers should be adding. He fits our need for a PF to a tee, and would be an excellent addition.

Our problem: we are in the middle of exploring whether we can get rid of the Tin man for something other than a buyout. The logical return is a PF, and Houston is not one of the teams that would appear to be a trading partner.

It would be great to swing some kind of deal where we get Landry and somebody gets JT and then ships something to Houston...........but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Sometimes, you can only do so much when your'e in the process of shedding salaries and your hands are mostly tied. That is the case with the Pacers, and a player like Landry just may not be attainable at this time, no matter how tempting.

Carl is everything that we *expected* out of Diogu but never actually saw (except for some odd reason when we played Memphis). He's a monster in the post, brings in an impressive # of 2nd attempt hustle offensive rebounds, and is high energy.

In the right system (which as it's currently constructed, the Pacers fit well), Landry will flourish. I see no reason why he wouldn't elevate to a starting-level player given time to grow.

I'll be watching his career regardless of whether he's playing for the Rockets or the Pacers. :)

Anthem
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
IMHO....the only way that you can improve the PF rotation is if you move Murphy and his $11mil avg per year / $33 mil contract.
Sad but true. I'm not sure how you'd pull it off, but that is indeed a major limitation.

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Carl is everything that we *expected* out of Diogu but never actually saw (except for some odd reason when we played Memphis). He's a monster in the post, brings in an impressive # of 2nd attempt hustle offensive rebounds, and is high energy.

In the right system (which as it's currently constructed, the Pacers fit well), Landry will flourish. I see no reason why he wouldn't elevate to a starting-level player given time to grow.

I'll be watching his career regardless of whether he's playing for the Rockets or the Pacers. :)

Nice post!

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Sad but true. I'm not sure how you'd pull it off, but that is indeed a major limitation.

Why not live with the limitation, and add a reasonably priced player for the duration of Murphy's contract? Are we afraid Landry will become better than Murphy with his albatross contract, and it will keep reminding us of how terrible his contract is b/c it can't be swept under the rug? Then add their contracts together and divide it by 2. Now, doesn't it look better? Maybe a little more palatable?

I just want the Pacers to get better and win. If Bird feels Landry is the type player that fits his vision of a future Pacer player, then made a deal for Landry. Quis and Shawne for Landry and Francis(expiring) works. JMOAA

2minutes twowa
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I think Murphy's game greatly improved toward the end of the season. He drove to the basket more and played more aggressive. If we could add a young athletic PF I'm all for it, but I also think Murph will be a more than adequate starting PF.

CableKC
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
To expand on what I was talking about before......the only way that we are going to get a PF in here is to get a new Starting PF ( at the expense of losing Foster ) or a backup PF ( while keeping Foster ).

I'm guessing that if we want to keep Foster for the next 3 years beyond this season....then we will not have the $$$ to go on the FA market in the 2009-2010 season to get the Starting Quality PF that most of you want. After resigning Foster for some 3 year contract ( at the age of 32 at the start of the 2009-2010 season ), Granger and Jack; we would probably have enough to spend about $4-5 mil per year FA ( before hitting the Luxury Tax )....which to me...seems like $$$ for a good Backup PF.

But if we decide to trade Foster or let him expire, we can then likely go on the FA market and sign ( or trade ) a Starting Quality PF for about $9-10 mil per year.

Although I can be slightly off on the $$$ ( give or take a mil...depending on how much you think that we will resign Granger and Jack for )....but when it comes to the PF that you want to pursue....I guess you have to ask what you want your Big Man rotation to look like for the next 2-3 years starting in the 2009-2010 season:

Option A

PF - Murphy
C - Hibbert

Backup Big Man rotation - Foster and Landry ( or whatever Backup PF that we can sign )

or

Option B

PF - "Whatever PF that we can sign or trade for $8-10 mil"
C - Hibbert

Backup Big Man rotation - Murphy and whatever cheapie Backup Big Man that we can acquire.

Personally, given the sheer # of shots we miss, the need for High-Energy guys that can pull down Offensive Rebounds and the need for very solid Frontcourt Depth...I would much rather go with Option A so that we can have really good depth at the Big Man rotation while giving us the Financial Flexibility to do what we need to do next season. Just because of Murphy.....I just don't think that we have as great a need to look for a high-quality and high-priced PF. Now...if we could move Murphy ( a daunting task ), then I would be okay with getting a new Starting Quality PF.

aceace
07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
Seems like everyone is saying "we gotta sign this guy"

"What are we thinking if we don't sign this guy, he's going to be the greatest backup PF in history"

We have a few problems right now, we're at 67M which gives us no room to sign anyone without going over and paying luxury money.

It is probably true that the Simon's lost money on the team the last 2 years. So I doubt they want to lose more.

We have 16 players under contract, your only allowed 15. Tinsley will probably be traded (somehow) it may take divine intervention and God really being upset with another team in order for this to happen.

Usually you get a player in return so we are still at 16.

We have several PF by my count. Foster, Murphy, Baston, Williams

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
"What are we thinking if we don't sign this guy, he's going to be the greatest backup PF in history"

We have a few problems right now, we're at 67M which gives us no room to sign anyone without going over and paying luxury money.

sually you get a player in return so we are still at 16.

We have several PF by my count. Foster, Murphy, Baston, Williams

I love how people relegate Landry to a b/u only the rest of his career! But if you must, how did Detlef do as a b/u? AD? Or Harrington? All played very important parts as a b/u on winning teams as I remember! 2 were traded b/c they wanted to be starters, and were starters on other teams. One becoming an Allstar after being traded. Not to mention Detlef was 6th man of the year as a Pacer.

LT is 71 mil so there is 4 mil to work with, but I'd rather do a S&T for Landry.

How did you forget McDud at PF? He's your 16th man that can be cut at $427,000.

Eindar
07-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Buyout ( or trade ) Tinsley and McRoberts and we would be down to a 14 man roster.

It would have to be a buyout to get us down to 14, and then we'd be eating a lot of salary on the cap. If we trade both of them, we'd certainly be taking back a player, so that would put us at 15, so we'd still need to do another move.

For the record, I'm not a fan of buying out Tinsley's contract. Surely someone will at least give us an expiring for him, or even someone who makes around his kind of money that will be able to play a little. It's not like he's bad, injury prone, and a lockerroom cancer, just injury prone and lockerroom cancer. :)

Speed
07-11-2008, 09:01 PM
I love how people relegate Landry to a b/u only the rest of his career! But if you must, how did Detlef do as a b/u? AD? Or Harrington? All played very important parts as a b/u on winning teams as I remember! 2 were traded b/c they wanted to be starters, and were starters on other teams. One becoming an Allstar after being traded. Not to mention Detlef was 6th man of the year as a Pacer.

LT is 71 mil so there is 4 mil to work with, but I'd rather do a S&T for Landry.

How did you forget McDud at PF? He's your 16th man that can be cut at $427,000.

How many starting Power Forward in the league can you name that you don't feel like you would have a disadvantage for him starting against, since you insist on acting like he's done something in this league and is entitled to start and that Pacer fans don't deserve his greatness. Don't take this personal, but are you related to the guy or know him personally, jeez.

I already said I don't think he can play against Bosh, Brand, and Rasheed Wallace.

Again the guy is 24 years old and had one good season hustle wise.

I say all this and I like him, I'm just getting concerned you think he's a 20 and 10 guy, when he's a nice energy rotation player, maybe, depending on match ups.

Justin Tyme
07-11-2008, 11:50 PM
How many starting Power Forward in the league can you name that you don't feel like you would have a disadvantage for him starting against, since you insist on acting like he's done something in this league and is entitled to start and that Pacer fans don't deserve his greatness. Don't take this personal, but are you related to the guy or know him personally, jeez.

I already said I don't think he can play against Bosh, Brand, and Rasheed Wallace.

Again the guy is 24 years old and had one good season hustle wise.

I say all this and I like him, I'm just getting concerned you think he's a 20 and 10 guy, when he's a nice energy rotation player, maybe, depending on match ups.

Whoa there, I NEVER said he was entitled to start, nor have I even implied he's 20/10 guy. Don't start saying or imagining things I've never posted. What I said is some posters are relegating him to a lifetime b/u PF. I wish I was as clairvoyant as others are about his ability or inabilities as a player. I feel he has a place in this league, and I'd like it to be with the Pacers. I have voiced my opinion that I felt he is the type of PF the Pacers need... a type PF they don't have now. I said if he wasn't the type player Pacer fans wanted then they didn't need what he brings to the court. Hopefully, that's pretty easy enough to understand.

Believe me, I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether Bird chooses to get Landry or not. I have voiced my opinions on how I feel about the Pacers being able to use a player like Landry. I like the type of player Landry is. He's a better PF than Shawne Williams that so many are in love with b/c he has so much "potential." Choke choke.

As far as Landry playing against Bosh, Brand, and Wallace, can Murphy or Williams? One's slow as molasses plays little "D", and the other can't rebound, isn't physical, and is TO prone. Oh, but they both can shoot 3's though. Personally, that's not my sterotype PF. I want a hardnose banger who can rebound, plays "D", plays in the paint, and can score. DD with scoring skills. I feel Landry is closer than to that type PF than anything the Pacers have, and could be gotten for a reasonable price. If Landry can be gotten for a reasonable price (4-5mil) through a S&T that's fine, if not then pass on him and move on. The Pacers can go with what they have... Murphy, Foster, Baston, and McDud. Oh yeah, I almost forgot Williams too.

Again, I just feel Landry brings to the table what I'd like in a Pacer player, and I'll follow him again this coming season as I did last season whether it's as a Pacer or whomever. JMOAA

Landry
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Reading over this thread, the consensus against Landry seems to be "I've never heard of him, therefor he's not good".

You don't judge a talent based on name recognition or draft position, but on talent and production. Two things Landry delivered in spades during his rookie season.

Who here would object to adding Joakim Noah for the MLE? Very few, if any. Yet going by what they both showed as rookies, there's no reason to believe Landry won't have as good a career as Noah, if not better.

If you can add a young big man with the scoring and rebounding ability of Carl Landry for no more than the MLE, you take it and run.

Landry's shown he has the ability to be, at minimum, an Antonio Davis/David Lee type power forward, and perhaps more.

He's a good guy with both proven ability and upside, he has local ties, and he plays by far our weakest position. What's not to love?

GrangerRanger
07-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Carl is an amazing ball player. Hell, he is better then Jermaine O'neal was his rookie year and look at him.

Anthem
07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Reading over this thread, the consensus against Landry seems to be "I've never heard of him, therefor he's not good".
Who in this thread hasn't heard of Landry? Name one person.

Who here would object to adding Joakim Noah for the MLE? Very few, if any.
I'd wager most of the people on this board would say that's too much for Noah. Plus Noah's not better than the guys we already have at PF.

If you can add a young big man with the scoring and rebounding ability of Carl Landry for no more than the MLE, you take it and run.
Except he'd cost twice that, since we're near the luxury tax threshhold. I'm sure you like the guy, but would you pay $10mil for him?

He's not a better offensive player than Murphy, who I don't even particularly like. He'd be a nice piece to add for the future, but I'm not sure how much PT he'd get this season, even if we could afford him (which we can't).

Now if we could get him for Tinsley and Shawne, it would be a no-brainer. But unless those guys magically disappear off our cap, it just doesn't work.

Anthem
07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Hell, he is better then Jermaine O'neal was his rookie year and look at him.
Jermaine was 18 his rookie year. Carl was 24.

count55
07-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Carl is an amazing ball player. Hell, he is better then Jermaine O'neal was his rookie year and look at him.

Jamaal Tinsley was better in his rookie year than Jermaine was his rookie year, and look at him. So were Troy Murphy, Stacey King, and Pervis Ellison. Hell, we found Tony Brown (http://http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownto01.html) in the old Walter Mitty camp, and he had a better rookie year than JO.

This speak much more about how bad Jermaine was as a rookie (and his playing situation) than it does about any other players.

count55
07-12-2008, 11:18 PM
My whole position is that I've never heard of this guy, so he can't be any good.

Landry
07-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Who in this thread hasn't heard of Landry? Name one person.

Sorry, I didn't mean that they had literally never heard of him, I meant that he's not yet became a "name" player. Apparently, to a lot of people that means he's a scrub, at least that's the impression I get from reading this thread.

I'd wager most of the people on this board would say that's too much for Noah. Plus Noah's not better than the guys we already have at PF.

I'd take that wager. I guarantee you there are plenty of people against signing Landry who would happily give Noah the full MLE. They're reasoning would likely be that he's young, talented, and fills a need - all things that can be said about Landry. The difference being, Noah is a "name player" and Landry is not.

Except he'd cost twice that, since we're near the luxury tax threshhold. I'm sure you like the guy, but would you pay $10mil for him?

Our current cap is $66,699,858, and this is after the trades and includes our rookies. The lux threshold is $71.15. Signing Landry to the full MLE ($5.585 million) would put us at $72,284,858, meaning we'd have to pay just a one time lux tax of $1,134,858 - not that big of a deal, and in fact the "cash considerations" from the Portland deal would probably cover it. Of course this is assuming you sign Landry for the full MLE. You could sign him for up to $4,450,142 without going over the lux tax threshold. You could also try and trade McRoberts to a team under the cap (for either a small T.E. or a future 2nd), which would free up another $711,517.

He's not a better offensive player than Murphy, who I don't even particularly like. He'd be a nice piece to add for the future, but I'm not sure how much PT he'd get this season, even if we could afford him (which we can't).

That's disputable. He's not as proven a scorer as Murphy, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not as good or possibly even better. 8.1 ppg may not seem like a lot, but when you see that he does it in just 16 minutes and on an outstanding .616 shooting, it's very impressive. For the record, he and Murphy are totally opposite players. Murphy's a shooter, Landry is a banger who has one of the highest percentage of dunks in the league. Those who are tired of our big men being jump shooters would love him.

As for his playing time, he'd likely be in the same boat as Hibbert - the back-up with the intentions of eventually becoming the starter. I think he'd be starting by the All-Star break, but I have a higher opinion of him than others.

Now if we could get him for Tinsley and Shawne, it would be a no-brainer. But unless those guys magically disappear off our cap, it just doesn't work.

It does work, as shown above. Although if we could work out a sign and trade with the Rockets, then great. Maybe they'd have interest in Daniels? He could be a nice backup for them, and his expiring contract would be great trade bait at the deadline.

MyFavMartin
07-13-2008, 03:20 AM
Looks like Landry is going to get paid...

"Brent Barry has officially signed with the Houston Rockets, and GM Daryl Morey called Barry their top prospect. A little scary until you consider they're saving their MLE to match any offer Carl Landry might receive, so that's all they had money to do. . ."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9442

MyFavMartin
07-13-2008, 03:33 AM
What are the rules on if the Pacers traded someone with a small contract such as Diener to the a team under the cap like Minnesota?

Do the salaries have to match or could Pacers trade him for a 2nd round draft pick, clear the 1.6 mil in contract, in order to increase their luxury tax space to $6 mill, which is greater than the MLE (5.6 mil) to sign Landry?

MyFavMartin
07-13-2008, 03:34 AM
For the record, Landry can shoot.

Or at least he was doing that in college, which I know does count for anything here in PD...

d_c
07-13-2008, 05:37 AM
What are the rules on if the Pacers traded someone with a small contract such as Diener to the a team under the cap like Minnesota?

Do the salaries have to match or could Pacers trade him for a 2nd round draft pick, clear the 1.6 mil in contract, in order to increase their luxury tax space to $6 mill, which is greater than the MLE (5.6 mil) to sign Landry?

Even if you clear extra salary by unloading Diener on somebody else, the Pacers are still well above the salary cap, so they can't offer more than the MLE.

Getting extra space under the luxury tax has absolutely nothing to do with the MLE or the salary cap.

Anthem
07-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean that they had literally never heard of him, I meant that he's not yet became a "name" player. Apparently, to a lot of people that means he's a scrub, at least that's the impression I get from reading this thread.
Your impressions are wrong. People HAVE heard of him, they just understand that while he's a nice player, it doesn't make sense for the Pacers to pursue him without taking care of some other business first.

I'd take that wager. I guarantee you there are plenty of people against signing Landry who would happily give Noah the full MLE.
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=40305

We'll give it 7 days. If you win, I'll put "Landry -- a guy with 5 posts -- knows more about the NBA than I do" in my signature. If I win, you put "My infatuation with Carl Landry makes it difficult for me to understand logic" in your signature. Either way, the signature has to stay until opening day.

Deal?

Speed
07-13-2008, 08:54 AM
My whole position is that I've never heard of this guy, so he can't be any good.

LOL, who?

count55
07-13-2008, 09:17 AM

LOL, who?

I googled "Landry" and got this:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/81/11pj0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/81/11pj0.4cfaaca061.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=258&i=11pj0.jpg)

If this is the one...I'm completely turned around on this situation. Whatever it takes, get it done!

MyFavMartin
07-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Can you believe that Mario Lopez cheated on Ali Landry?

Yeah, I googled Landry a couple weeks ago and found similar pics.

Of course, I didn't post them here.... I was keeping them to myself. ;)

count55
07-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I would imagine it's fun to google Landry.

rexnom
07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
I would imagine it's fun to google Landry.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bD8aFHBRvWk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bD8aFHBRvWk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anthem
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
We'll give it 7 days. If you win, I'll put "Landry -- a guy with 5 posts -- knows more about the NBA than I do" in my signature. If I win, you put "My infatuation with Carl Landry makes it difficult for me to understand logic" in your signature. Either way, the signature has to stay until opening day.

Deal?
Bueller... Bueller... Bueller...

Mourning
07-13-2008, 06:10 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bD8aFHBRvWk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bD8aFHBRvWk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:lol:

duke dynamite
07-14-2008, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't get too ahead of anything here.

As discussed during the forum party, the general consensus really didn't feel like we could offer Landry enough to keep Houston from matching.

Also, Joakim Noah performed quite well as a rookie for Chicago, I highly doubt they would let him go easily, either.

This to me is a dead issue.

CableKC
07-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Unless there is some other moves that TPTB are planning on making....and I don't think there is.....there's no harm in trying to make an offer for Landry to see if the Rockets would match.

joeshmoe
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Here is a link to a Houston Rockets fan thread on Landry. I found it insightful.

Is Landry really worth signing? (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=824428)

Anthem
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM

I'd take that wager. I guarantee you there are plenty of people against signing Landry who would happily give Noah the full MLE. They're reasoning would likely be that he's young, talented, and fills a need - all things that can be said about Landry. The difference being, Noah is a "name player" and Landry is not.

No argument that I won this one, right? I mean, it wasn't even close.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=40305

I look forward to seeing your new signature.

Landry
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I never agreed to anything, besides, I wont be around long anyways, and the poll was not scientific enough for my liking.

But because I'm a nice guy, I'll change my sig just for you. :)

Anthem
07-22-2008, 12:56 PM
I never agreed to anything, besides, I wont be around long anyways
Prophetic words. :tear:

Alas poor Landry, we knew you well.

Bball
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Prophetic words. :tear:

Alas poor Landry, we knew you well.

I must've missed it... What did Landry do?

-Bball

count55
07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I must've missed it... What did Landry do?

-Bball

Kofi

Trader Joe
07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
He was the one who haunts Hicks's dreams or Kofi.

rexnom
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
He was the one who haunts Hicks's dreams or Kofi.
I just wasted 90 seconds watching your signature. Good times.

eldubious
07-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Unless there is some other moves that TPTB are planning on making....and I don't think there is.....there's no harm in trying to make an offer for Landry to see if the Rockets would match.

My thinking exactly, why not make an offer to show interest? Unless they really believe that they can get Halsem for Tinsley :hmm: