PDA

View Full Version : Jerryd Bayless

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this seeing as how Bayless is still being mentioned in every thread -- including the one about our front court.

So may as well start this and let the rants all go to one place. Maybe we can keep track of his progress here as well as the weeks/month go on.

This is from TrueHoop about an upcoming documentary about some of this year's draft class playing at the Rucker that looks pretty sweet.

Here's the Bayless part:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-377/Getting-to-Know-Your-Team-s-New-Player.html

Bayless comes across as the most conservative and deliberate of the group. He looks both serious and nervous as he reads from a statement to announce his commitment to Arizona.

Bayless plays effectively in the free-wheeling Rucker game, but he comes across as old school in his interview.

"A lot of the players out in Arizona, they're athletes but they don't really work on their game as much as I do," he tells the filmmakers. "I don't really like to go play pickup games after school like everybody else does. I just go into the gym and try to work on my weaknesses. Shoot pull-up 3's instead of just shooting spot-up 3's, working on ball handling, trying to help myself out in the long run."

And here's the trailer of that documentary, which is a Adam Yauch (of the Beastie Boys) and Bobitto Garcia production:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810009665/video

DGPR
06-30-2008, 09:06 AM
The video looked pretty cool. I like those kinds of movies, I actually bought Through the Fire with Sebastian Telfair. It only hyped him up to be a player that he's not, but the story and ballin' footage was fun to watch.

Naptown_Seth
06-30-2008, 12:15 PM
See my sig and get hip to the times kid. ;) :p

The early reviews are strong on this one, apparently it's a great bball doc. People are saying "best since Hoop Dreams".

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 12:30 PM
See my sig and get hip to the times kid. ;) :p

The early reviews are strong on this one, apparently it's a great bball doc. People are saying "best since Hoop Dreams".

Post once in a while and I would have seen it earlier.

LoneGranger33
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Really? Not only are you encouraging more posts about Jerryd Bayless, but you are telling Naptime to post more often? Damn.

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm boycotting work this week. My bad.

duke dynamite
06-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm boycotting work this week. My bad.
What he really means is that he is under investigation for embezzlement.

That and stealing office supplies is still stealing.

imawhat
06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this seeing as how Bayless is still being mentioned in every thread -- including the one about our front court.

So may as well start this and let the rants all go to one place. Maybe we can keep track of his progress here as well as the weeks/month go on.

This is from TrueHoop about an upcoming documentary about some of this year's draft class playing at the Rucker that looks pretty sweet.

Here's the Bayless part:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-32-377/Getting-to-Know-Your-Team-s-New-Player.html

And here's the trailer of that documentary, which is a Adam Yauch (of the Beastie Boys) and Bobitto Garcia production:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810009665/video

The movie premiered on Friday about three blocks south of my apt., but I was still a little bitter about watching it. I'm going to see it in about 1 hour.

Robertmto
07-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Its too bad I can't find any theaters showin it here anytime soon

imawhat
07-01-2008, 03:21 AM
Just got back from the movie.

Wish I hadn't seen it; I was just getting over Bayless :(. He gets unbelievable lift on his jumpshot. My gf thought he came off as angry because of his facial features, and she thought he was cocky. I thought he had the perfect mindset for a player. I see nothing but a relentless worker with a load of talent; just like Kobe.

Beasley is a giant goof. He is a lot more similar to Charles Barkley or John Salley than he is Derrick Coleman. He comes across as light-hearted and loveable. He's also clearly better than everyone else at a one-on-one level.

Some other players (not featured) made appearances. I saw JJ Hickson and Deandre Jordan. NBA players in attendance included Steve Nash, Ben Gordon, and Jason Kidd.

Not the best hoops movie since Hoop Dreams. It's an interesting look into the game.

BillS
07-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Hopefully someone can answer in this thread so I won't start a new one...

I've now heard 2 stories about Bayless and pre-draft workout. The one I heard on draft night, even after we'd drafted him, was that he was invited to work out for the Pacers but didn't come. That seemed to me to fit with his obvious disappointment when the P's drafted him.

Recently, though, I'm hearing that we didn't invite him to work out at all.

The fact itself, of course, is that he didn't work out for the Pacers. Does anyone know which reason is true?

Anthem
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I think it was Gordon that we invited but didn't work out. I don't think we invited Bayless.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2008, 10:01 AM
I know we invited Westbrook and he didn't show up. I'm not so sure if we invited Bayless.

The Unknown
07-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Bayless wasn't expected to be around at #11, so I doubt he or his agent would've bothered working out for us. He really didn't seem to be pleased to be coming to Indy, so I say good riddance, you undersized, no play-making ability, shot-chucking, no defense playing prima donna.

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Not the best hoops movie since Hoop Dreams. It's an interesting look into the game.
Hmm, I was hoping for a bit more than "interesting look". Then again maybe your enjoyment was dampened by your feelings on the Bayless deal. Just keep in mind that Rush wasn't there to compare with.

B-Easy is a player I do like. I think his attitude is a bit overplayed, similar to Mayo. He has been immature but then Barkley was quite a handful early on too. On two different occassions I saw Bease get 2 quick fouls, and I mean like 2 minutes into a game. Both times he ended up getting back in and then avoiding the foul out on his way to a moster game. So he's got some desire and smarts in there when it's needed it would seem.

The guy I'm interested to see compare to him next season is Griffin. He was coming on late last year and seems like he could end up getting near that Bease level of PF impact. Might end up being a fun pairing to watch go at each other in the NBA.

Post once in a while and I would have seen it earlier.
The jerk store called and they're all out of you. Bite my shiny metal a**.

Just trying to speak to you in your normal Family Guy reference speak so you understand me.*

* How offensive is it that I label you as Family Guy and then use as many or more references? Pretty offensive I'd say. Don't be afraid to challenge that one man-one vote rule next year.

JayRedd
07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Allusions, Naptime. References are something a whore does for money...or candy.

Since86
07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I don't watch Family Guy, but the jerk store reference is definately Seinfeld. :shrug:

Pig Nash
07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Allusions, Naptime. References are something a whore does for money...or candy.

Arrested Development

Anthem
07-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Shiny Metal has to be Futurama, right?

Shade
07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Dammit, Redd. Now I have to change my mood again. :censored:

YoSoyIndy
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't watch Family Guy, but the jerk store reference is definately Seinfeld. :shrug:

Oh yeah! Well I had sex with your wife!

duke dynamite
07-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Looks like there is going to be a Chester Rumble up in here.

Hicks
07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Continue in Club Rio if you must, but let's get this thread back on topic.

imawhat
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Hmm, I was hoping for a bit more than "interesting look". Then again maybe your enjoyment was dampened by your feelings on the Bayless deal. Just keep in mind that Rush wasn't there to compare with.

B-Easy is a player I do like. I think his attitude is a bit overplayed, similar to Mayo. He has been immature but then Barkley was quite a handful early on too. On two different occassions I saw Bease get 2 quick fouls, and I mean like 2 minutes into a game. Both times he ended up getting back in and then avoiding the foul out on his way to a moster game. So he's got some desire and smarts in there when it's needed it would seem.

The guy I'm interested to see compare to him next season is Griffin. He was coming on late last year and seems like he could end up getting near that Bease level of PF impact. Might end up being a fun pairing to watch go at each other in the NBA.

Honestly, I still enjoyed it.

My criticism is that it seemed long and didn't really hash out anything I didn't know, with the exception of the Rucker Park history. I wish a lot more focus had gone into that. The soundtrack was great, some of the slow-motion shots/sound effects were gimmicky, but it just dragged on.

Even though it's fictional, I thought He Got Game was more informative.

Watching Bayless didn't help though :).

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Too bad still. A concept and situation like this could be really tight. Maybe MCA wasn't the guy to do it. Don't get me wrong, I'll still see it. In fact I can't wait. We need a PD get together when it opens in Indy.

I'd like to hate Redd, but the bond over AD that we have compels me to like him. To catch up 86, I say Redd drops Family Guy references/allusions/whatever as humor, then we made a bunch of those to Seinfeld, Futurama, AD and I probably missed one or two even.

South Park brilliantly ripped on Family Guy's "writing" methods and I just apply that same attitude to JR. This includes riding my big wheel out to CA to get his show off the air.

avoidingtheclowns
07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
annyong

Pig Nash
07-03-2008, 11:48 AM
hello?