PDA

View Full Version : Pacers must ask one question before they make any moves this summer

Unclebuck
06-14-2004, 10:06 AM
How will it effect our ability to beat the Pistons.

Unless Sheed leaves, the Pistons aren't going anywhere. They are not old except for Campbell. Prince will only get better.

So if the Pacers consider trading for a guard, they must ask themselves if that player will help us beat the Pistons, and if he doesn't I don't care how good he is, the Pacers need to move on to someone else.

Of course that begs the question, what types of players do they need.

ChicagoJ
06-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Agreed, somewhat.

But its dangerous to look past all the other teams. Because NJ is asking the same questions. As are Miami and Cleveland.

My belief is the Pacers should put the best possible team on the court, and be willing to improve the team when the opportunity presents itself. You never know when Altanta and Boston are going to team-up and make it easy for one of our rivals to make a major upgrade with almost no cost.

:(

Will Galen
06-14-2004, 10:25 AM
How will it effect our ability to beat the Pistons.

Unless Sheed leaves, the Pistons aren't going anywhere. They are not old except for Campbell. Prince will only get better.

So if the Pacers consider trading for a guard, they must ask themselves if that player will help us beat the Pistons, and if he doesn't I don't care how good he is, the Pacers need to move on to someone else.

Of course that begs the question, what types of players do they need.

I think they are looking for someone to match up to Hamilton. I read somewhere that all the players the Pacers have worked out have been guards.

Two, the two rumors we hear the most are Al for Chicago's #3, or Al for Dampier. With the #3 I think the Pacer's would take 6'6 Iguodala, or 6'7 Livingston, both big guards.

The trade envolving Al and Dampier would need more players thrown in. No doubt Pollard from the Pacer's. However, if we threw Pollard in then GS would have to throw someone in. I named Cardinal and 6'6 Pietrus in an earlier post. Problem is I don't think Chicago or GS want to do those trades the way we've heard them.

Suaveness
06-14-2004, 10:25 AM
This is probably the most relevant question to be asked. And in order to answer this question, it is best to look at the series we just had with them. Whatever problems occured in this series needs to be fixed.

With the Pistons, they are only going to get better. They have Darko and Delfino still to come, along with Prince improving, and having confidence that they can play together.

It will also be interesting to see whether or not the team likes Larry by the end of the year, because he tends to wear on people with his yelling. Then again, maybe titles cure that.

As for the Pacers, they played superb against the Pistons. If it weren't for the injuries to Jermaine and Tinsley, and especially Tinsley, I think we could've beaten them. I truly think so. If I had it my way, I would not change a thing.

However, two things need to be taken into account. One, our outside shooting was bad. Needless to say, this needs to be improved. Obviously, Tinsley was shooting much better before he got hurt, and that definitely hurt this team. But we need someone else to shoot. I think Freddie if he continues to grow will help that a lot. But honestly, we don't have an accurate idea on how he will be next year. So this need must be looked at.

Second, I want to keep this team together, but there is the thing with Al. I think he believes he should start. Which poses the problem with the team. Should he start? or should he be traded. We all know Rick has said that there are too many SF's on this team, and that he expects it to be lessened. And Al has said he wants a bigger role. Meaning he wants to start. What do we do.

We could trade Al and get that outside shooter that we need. And that seems to be the concensus among most people. However, you must look at a few things.

One, we will not have an idea on how the bench will be next year. It is full of unproven players. Bender has yet to show he can play without getting injured. And his basketball intelligence is pretty awful. Freddie hasn't played a lot, but he was one of the few people who stepped it up in the ECF. Austin I think could contribute more with better playing time, but we don't really know. And that is all we have. We must seriously consider adding a good bench player during the offseason if Al is traded.

Second, Al played hard against Detroit. He did a good job on occasion of penentrating into the lane when he tried. But he was very inconsistant with his scoring. His effort was always there, yes, but he didn't always score well. His quickness did give them some problems.

I think that you have to take this stuff into consideration. You lose Al for a good SG to start, but then the bench becomes depleted. Oh, I did forget Reggie. But then consider this: we will have 3 SG's. What do we do then? Play Fred at the PG? Maybe. I think we need to add another person to the bench in this scenario, I think a big man since we have no good ones.

And we have to make changes WITHOUT comprimising our defense. Defense is key. We have to play defense like we did in the ECF. Otherwise, we will not win against them. And Detroit is not the only problem. Cleveland and Miami are going to be really good next year. So I worry about them as well.

bulletproof
06-14-2004, 10:45 AM
As Suaveness pointed out, we really don't need to do much. I also believe we could've beaten the Pistons had we been 100% healthy. But that series did make it painfully obvious that we are in desperate need of a consistent, outside scoring threat (SG), as evidenced by Cro's play in game 4.

The question is, who will be traded to accomplish that? If it's Al, expect a decent up-and-comer, such as Q. Richardson. Although I wouldn't be surprised if we could get Paul Pierce for Al and some change. Bender in most likelihood. But it's hard for me to envision Pierce in a Pacers uniform.

McGrady, of course, has mentioned the Pacers. If management takes this seriously, then Ron would be the sacrifice. I'd like to think that this team could sustain losing Ron from a defensive standpoint, but losing him would raise more questions (in my mind) than a trade involving Al answers.

Unclebuck
06-14-2004, 10:45 AM
This is probably the most relevant question to be asked. And in order to answer this question, it is best to look at the series we just had with them. Whatever problems occured in this series needs to be fixed.

With the Pistons, they are only going to get better. They have Darko and Delfino still to come, along with Prince improving, and having confidence that they can play together.

It will also be interesting to see whether or not the team likes Larry by the end of the year, because he tends to wear on people with his yelling. Then again, maybe titles cure that.

As for the Pacers, they played superb against the Pistons. If it weren't for the injuries to Jermaine and Tinsley, and especially Tinsley, I think we could've beaten them. I truly think so. If I had it my way, I would not change a thing.

However, two things need to be taken into account. One, our outside shooting was bad. Needless to say, this needs to be improved. Obviously, Tinsley was shooting much better before he got hurt, and that definitely hurt this team. But we need someone else to shoot. I think Freddie if he continues to grow will help that a lot. But honestly, we don't have an accurate idea on how he will be next year. So this need must be looked at.

Second, I want to keep this team together, but there is the thing with Al. I think he believes he should start. Which poses the problem with the team. Should he start? or should he be traded. We all know Rick has said that there are too many SF's on this team, and that he expects it to be lessened. And Al has said he wants a bigger role. Meaning he wants to start. What do we do.

We could trade Al and get that outside shooter that we need. And that seems to be the concensus among most people. However, you must look at a few things.

One, we will not have an idea on how the bench will be next year. It is full of unproven players. Bender has yet to show he can play without getting injured. And his basketball intelligence is pretty awful. Freddie hasn't played a lot, but he was one of the few people who stepped it up in the ECF. Austin I think could contribute more with better playing time, but we don't really know. And that is all we have. We must seriously consider adding a good bench player during the offseason if Al is traded.

Second, Al played hard against Detroit. He did a good job on occasion of penentrating into the lane when he tried. But he was very inconsistant with his scoring. His effort was always there, yes, but he didn't always score well. His quickness did give them some problems.

I think that you have to take this stuff into consideration. You lose Al for a good SG to start, but then the bench becomes depleted. Oh, I did forget Reggie. But then consider this: we will have 3 SG's. What do we do then? Play Fred at the PG? Maybe. I think we need to add another person to the bench in this scenario, I think a big man since we have no good ones.

And we have to make changes WITHOUT comprimising our defense. Defense is key. We have to play defense like we did in the ECF. Otherwise, we will not win against them. And Detroit is not the only problem. Cleveland and Miami are going to be really good next year. So I worry about them as well.

Great post and not the least bit pessimistic

ChicagoJ
06-14-2004, 10:53 AM

:laugh: Believe me, I didn't nominate you as a 'pessimist'. For whomever nominated you, I'd hate to hear what they think of me (perhaps because there is no category for 'suicidal'.)

Suaveness
06-14-2004, 01:13 PM

Pessimistic version:

You know what? We suck. Just get over it. Detroit is going to win the next 5 or 6 titles. Lets just trade Ron now. Maybe we can get Mugsy Bouges from retirement.

Bball
06-14-2004, 01:44 PM
Pessimistic version:

You know what? We suck. Just get over it. Detroit is going to win the next 5 or 6 titles. Lets just trade Ron now. Maybe we can get Mugsy Bouges from retirement.

;) More pessimistic with a homer influence:

The Pistons are going to be winning the next 4-5 championships. They suck. We need to blow this team up and start from scratch. We took our shot but we had no chance. We can rebuild on the fly. There's no use trying to keep this team together because we can't beat the Pistons. By the time the Pistons fade our team will be too old. They are already slow. Look at our scoring. Look at our injuries. Do you realize most of our players are closer to 30 than 20? We have to get some younger players in here to throw it down and be ready to DOMINATE when the Pistons' dynasty comes to a close in a few years. When that happens we can get Reggie his ring!

:P

-Bball