PDA

View Full Version : The REAL reason we drafted Hibbert

Shade
06-29-2008, 01:14 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbbPeSoMJ3Y&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AbbPeSoMJ3Y&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Big Smooth, Part Deux? :-p

Suaveness
06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey I'll take it

travmil
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I bet that played out JUST like the coach drew it up.....;)

croz24
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
i think it has more to do with his similarities to smits. also, something has to be said about gtowns top 5 defense while he was there clogging the middle. i don't mind the hibbert selection one bit. the kid is a class act, is a willing learner, and can become a defensive force.

Trader Joe
06-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Yep, Hibbert at 17 is tremendous value. He is extremely polished, and while he'll never be a big time athlete, he has a lot of other tools he can use.

Eindar
06-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't expect him to do that very often, but I will say his form looked pretty good.

I'm very glad we drafted him over Koufos

aero
06-29-2008, 04:33 PM
he needs to get on getting up and down the court faster, but with the right coach i think he could become a pretty good NBA player.

Pacemaker
06-29-2008, 05:52 PM
I completely endorse drafting Hibbert.

PacerPete
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
i think it has more to do with his similarities to smits.

I can't wait for him to drive the lane and pass behind his back. :D

OpenWheel
06-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Are you guys serious? I've heard Hibbert has decent touch around the hoop, but he can he bag the midrange like Smits?! Awesome if he can. :-o

Love the video.(It did look like good form. What I liked was he was aware of the clock and didn't hesitate to do what was needed.) We drafted a guy with a 100% college three point percentage. Yeah baby! :D

Jose Slaughter
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
I think when you look at the players that we have that could be on the floor with him, Hibbert is a very good pick up.

Ford, Rush, Dunleavy, Granger & Murphy can all help spread the floor, leaving the paint for both Hibbert & Rasho.

Its nice to be looking forward to a Pacer season again.

indygeezer
06-29-2008, 07:20 PM
I think when you look at the players that we have that could be on the floor with him, Hibbert is a very good pick up.

Ford, Rush, Dunleavy, Granger & Murphy can all help spread the floor, leaving the paint for both Hibbert & Rasho.

Its nice to be looking forward to a Pacer season again.

Yep, those FIVE plus Hibbert should be pretty good on the floor together.

Dece
06-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Put us down for at least 50 wins, assuming we can run those 5 and Hibbert.

Shade
06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Put us down for at least 50 wins, assuming we can run those 5 and Hibbert.

Don't forget Nester! ;)

7 on 5, eh? Should about even things out when you factor in the refs. :eek:

Anthem
06-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Put us down for at least 50 wins
:jawdrop:

Wow. I always thought I was a charter member of the sunshine brigade, but evidently I'm wrong.

LG33
06-29-2008, 09:59 PM
I think your reasoning is flawed, Shade:

kASqfmnXSJg

Shade
06-29-2008, 10:18 PM
Actually, LG, that just further confirms my theory.

Along with this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWBbdxjzzjs&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWBbdxjzzjs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

aceace
06-29-2008, 11:09 PM
IMHO.... Hibbert could be the true steal of the draft at 17. Its not like he's a bad player, its more of you know what your getting and there's not much of a chance for potential. He would have been lottery last year.

dohman
06-30-2008, 02:23 AM
Ill never forget a bald rik smits hitting his only three pointer in the playoffs!

Harddrive7
06-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Ill never forget a bald rik smits hitting his only three pointer in the playoffs!

My wife STILL thinks that he's the sexiest man alive. I was kind of hoping that I would take that role eventually.

Harddrive7
06-30-2008, 06:17 AM
IMHO.... Hibbert could be the true steal of the draft at 17. Its not like he's a bad player, its more of you know what your getting and there's not much of a chance for potential. He would have been lottery last year.

I didn't realize that Hibbert was this good. But "no potential" I mean, I think that I know what you and others are saying, but it seems that the consensus around here is he will not get much better, "this is it". But it seems that the guy would HAVE to get better wouldn't he? I mean, he would need to develop an NBA game of sorts at the very least. Or are you saying that his athleticism, or lack there of, will keep him from developing?

2minutes twowa
06-30-2008, 08:20 AM

I don't know which was worse, the bald head or the knee high black socks:D

NuffSaid
06-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Here's a link to Roy Hibbert's college stats from Georgetown U (http://guhoyas.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062608aaa.html). Not bad! In fact, they're rather impressive. I just hope alot of what he did in college will translate into his NBA game.

I don't think shot blocking and rebounding will be a problem for him. Scoring may not come easy for him initially, but he'll learn and get better at finding his spots and picking his shots. Like 'geezer said it's a matter of putting the right combination of players on the floor with him to spread the floor and let the big man do his work.

The more YouTube footage I see of him, the better I like him. He's actually better than most give him credit. One thing Hibbert does have going for him is that he comes from a school that has produced some fine Centers: Alonzo Mourning ('94), Dikembe Mutombo ('91) and Patrick Ewing ('85) to name three of the best to ever play the game.

MyFavMartin
06-30-2008, 12:39 PM
he only took 3 3PT shots in his entire college career.

granted, he made all 3.

I think we should wait until calling him the next Sam Perkins.