PDA

View Full Version : Just because I like the kid...

bambam
06-29-2008, 12:22 PM
James Jones opted out of this contract and left 3.1m on the table for one year with Portland. I hope he can land him a long term contract. He is a good charcter kid and can definately shoot. Obviously his agent must have a feel that teams got intrest in him, to leave that kind of money on the table

Bball
06-29-2008, 12:30 PM
James Jones opted out of this contract and left 3.1m on the table for one year with Portland. I hope he can land him a long term contract. He is a good charcter kid and can definately shoot. Obviously his agent must have a feel that teams got intrest in him, to leave that kind of money on the table

Well, considering NBA contracts are guaranteed, if he could push 2mil per yer for 3 years somewhere he's better off. He should come out OK in the long run... unless he just has a superior year coming up and would've been able to command even more then than now.

Los Angeles
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
While I'd welcome him back, I don't think we need any help at the 3 for a while ...

McKeyFan
06-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I love JJ.

You left out perhaps his best asset--tough defense and a good shot blocker. Also, he plays better in the clutch.

But, I agree with LA, we aren't needing much at his position right now.

Shade
06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
While I'd welcome him back, I don't think we need any help at the 3 for a while ...

Depends. If we trade Shawne and Dun, we're left with just Danny at the 3. And Dun is basically our starting 2 right now anyway.

JJ was a big part of Portland's turn around last season. I'd welcome him back at a decent rate (3 years, $7-8 million?).

Bball
06-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Does Portland not want him back?

Shade
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Does Portland not want him back?

They do, but they don't want to "overpay" him, either. Portland has a ton of young talent that they'll need to re-up in a couple years, and JJ probably doesn't factor into their long-term plans.

Eindar
06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
that's a lot of money to leave on the table, I think, as a journeyman wing player. Hopefully the market for his talents is a lot stronger than I think it is.

Having said that, one of my favorite JJ moments was before anybody had a scouting report on him, opposing SFs and SGs would try to back him down in the post, not realizing he played Center at Miami. Was always funny watching him play very strong post defense, and these wing players get very confused about it.

Anthem
06-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Depends. If we trade Shawne and Dun, we're left with just Danny at the 3. And Dun is basically our starting 2 right now anyway.

JJ was a big part of Portland's turn around last season. I'd welcome him back at a decent rate (3 years, $7-8 million?).
I love JJ. But I'd rather give Graham those minutes.

bambam
06-29-2008, 04:28 PM

never said he needed to come back to the Pacers, just hope he gets what he is looking for

317Kim
06-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I'd love for JJ...I mean, JR to come back, but you all are right, we are just stocked up at the 3.

beast23
06-30-2008, 12:26 AM
I would kick Graham and Williams both to the curb if we could pick up JJ.

Athletic, capable shooter and slasher and can play perimeter and post defense.

What else are we looking for from our players?

Shade
06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I love JJ. But I'd rather give Graham those minutes.

JJ is definitely better than Graham. And JJ can also play the 3 behind Danny if we trade Shawne.