PDA

View Full Version : will JO be booed?

crunk-juice
06-29-2008, 12:53 AM
so when the Raptors come to town, do you think people will boo JO? would you? does he deserve it? i was one of the biggest supporters of trading him, but i will still pull for him in Toronto and i will applaud him if i am at the game.

i think he will be booed. i mean if Brandon Stokely was, i dont see how JO wont be. what do you think?

BlueNGold
06-29-2008, 12:54 AM
No...not by the bulk of the crowd. I expect he will hear a lot of cheers.

grace
06-29-2008, 12:59 AM
First of all, no way Brandon Stokley should have been booed. As for JO he probably shouldn't be booed, but that doesn't mean he won't be.

Bball
06-29-2008, 01:00 AM
No way. He'd have to go on a bridge-burning media rampage, and he's too smart for that. ...Plus, what does he really have to be angry about with the Pacers?

He'll say all the right things and fans will respect that and his time here.

-Bball

Hicks
06-29-2008, 01:18 AM
If there are boos, they should be few and far between.

I won't yell/cheer for him, but I will stand and applaud.

Mourning
06-29-2008, 01:24 AM
It would be a a shame if he would be booed.

jeffg-body
06-29-2008, 01:32 AM
If he does get boood it would be a disgrace to the city of Indianapolis.

PR07
06-29-2008, 02:21 AM
I'd give him a standing ovation, and I expect to see the crowd too.

JO was the best player on some great Pacer teams. I'm not going to boo a guy for being injured. JO toughed it out too (with the exception of the second half o this season). He's already one of the best big men to ever play in a Pacers uniform and is the leader in a lot of records including blocks among others.

Shade
06-29-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm positive there will be some boos.

Peck and bball will probably have megaphones. :-p

Trader Joe
06-29-2008, 02:35 AM
There is absolutely zero reason to boo JO. Zero.

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 02:53 AM
JO will get my respect.

rock747
06-29-2008, 02:54 AM
I won't boo.

Sort of related:

I used to hate how we would boo Jackson after he would isolate and miss a shot attempt. It seemed to always make him play worse.

burnzone
06-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Definitely shouldn't be booed, he did a lot here, especially in his prime years when he was able to health-wise.

And definitely always a class act off the court, and in the community.

I will applaud him before the game, and hope he does well during games the Raptors are not playing the Pacers.

cramerica
06-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Everybody will cheer. Those who supported him will cheer and those who wanted him gone will cheer.

aero
06-29-2008, 05:35 AM
There will be some boos, but many of the fans like myself will cheer him. Even though the last couple of years he hasnt been at an allstar level i still respect what he did for the Pacers.

Robertmto
06-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Do they announce visiting teams' IR players now?? :devil:

aceace
06-29-2008, 08:07 AM
This may not be very popular here..... After admitting to sitting out for what he called "the future of his career" and only showing up for the last 15 games or so, probably costing us a playoff spot - screw him - . Sounds as though he was only interested in No#1. We missed out on the playoffs. Wonder how his team mates feel about him? Wonder how Dun and Murphy who have never made the playoffs and worked their tales off the last 15 games feel. Wonder how Pacers management feel who payed him 19 million last season. Forty two games comes out to about 900,000 a game. Never practiced for 2 years. Glad the freeloaders gone........

Anthem
06-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Heck yeah I'll cheer. Assuming I'm at that game.

It was time to move on, but we ought to try to be at least as classy as the guy we shipped out.

Unclebuck
06-29-2008, 08:47 AM
I'll do what I do with every other former Pacers player especially the first time they come back to town. Cheer them when introduced, but then one the game starts they are like any other opponent - hope they miss every shot, and hope they play terribly

Cobol Sam
06-29-2008, 10:20 AM
This may not be very popular here..... After admitting to sitting out for what he called "the future of his career" and only showing up for the last 15 games or so, probably costing us a playoff spot - screw him - . Sounds as though he was only interested in No#1. We missed out on the playoffs. Wonder how his team mates feel about him? Wonder how Dun and Murphy who have never made the playoffs and worked their tales off the last 15 games feel. Wonder how Pacers management feel who payed him 19 million last season. Forty two games comes out to about 900,000 a game. Never practiced for 2 years. Glad the freeloaders gone........

I find myself leaning towards this opinion. I'm sure him sitting out also benefited the team by increasing the league's confidence in JO.

However, it does appear like he just quit on last years team.

BlueNGold
06-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I'll doi what I do with every other former Pacers playr esecially the first time they come bck to town. Cheer them when introduced, but then one the game sarts they are lke any other opponent - hope they mis every shot, and hope they play terribly

That's the way it should be done. He is no longer a Pacer, but pre-game and post-game he deserves respect...and I'm certainly not one of his fans. He had a legitimate injury...anyone who saw that knee go backwards has to know that. I don't think his style is to skate. To the best of his abilities, whatever they may be, I do think he tries to compete. I hope he does well except during the minutes he's on the court against the Pacers.

gilpdawg
06-29-2008, 11:16 AM

You weren't in Cincinnati booing Griffey Jr. when he was laying on the field with a blown out shoulder hustling his *** off diving for a ball, were you? OH, my mistake.

JO owes us nothing. How do you think he got injured? He's been injured ever since the brawl season. How do you think that happened? Playing his *** off for us and pretty much carrying that team until he dislocated the shoulder (and came back earlier than anticipated, IIRC) on a knee that hadn't been right since he torqued it like a mother against Detroit in the ECF the year before. I still think that moment is the cause of his knee problems to this day. And if you saw that game in the ECF, everyone's reaction at the time was, oh, ****, JO just tore his ACL. He came back in the game 2 or 3 minutes later. And now he's a lazy bum who won't play hurt? **** that ****.

Haggard
06-29-2008, 11:34 AM
i'd be disappointed if the crowd boo'ed him

Justin Tyme
06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Everybody will cheer. Those who supported him will cheer and those who wanted him gone will cheer.

I'll be one of the latter! I got my early X-mas present. It should have been done 2 years previously.

At the same time, I hope his injury dayz are over, and he plays well for the Raptors... except against the Pacers. It was time for both parties to part company. Good luck JO!

Oh yeah, ouch on those Canadian taxes. I hope you enjoy using the dollar and 2 dollar coins instead of the paper ones, not like you'll be using many of them anyway.

CapnBruisin
06-29-2008, 12:42 PM
I hope not, had the team not been beaten down with off the court stuff Im sure he and the Pacers would have preffered to remain together

ABADays
06-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I think there will be a mixed reaction - just like his career. JO wasn't as angelic as some seem to think. I think a lot of things he said in the press put the franchise in a bad position. It was almost like reverse tampering. I never considered him a franchise player but he was good in the community. For that alone I wouldn't be one to boo him.

Oneal07
06-29-2008, 03:19 PM
He shouldn't be

count55
06-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I'll doi what I do with every other former Pacers playr esecially the first time they come bck to town. Cheer them when introduced, but then one the game sarts they are lke any other opponent - hope they mis every shot, and hope they play terribly
:amen:

NapTonius Monk
06-29-2008, 08:27 PM
I find myself leaning towards this opinion. I'm sure him sitting out also benefited the team by increasing the league's confidence in JO.

However, it does appear like he just quit on last years team.
You guys are really spinning what JO said the wrong way. It wasn't about him quitting on the team. It was about him finally choosing to get his body right instead of never fully being able to heal by not doing so. JO should not be booed. The reason he was so injury prone is because he kept trying to come back before the proper time to help the team. It will be really interesting to see how he holds up in Toronto.

JohnnyBGoode
06-29-2008, 08:37 PM
will he be booed? Does a bear *&*&* in the woods?

Hoop
06-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Heck, I even cheered Jackson when he came back. :p

I certainly will give JO a nice cheer. Then the Toronto @ss kickin' can commence. :scream:

YoSoyIndy
06-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't think JO will or should be boo'd this season.

The Stokley argument is interesting. I could see that effect coming into play if the Pacers bring back a lot of fans based on unexpected positive results similar to the Colts. Those fans who bood Brandon thought he left us (not really) because they don't really follow the game.

Dece
06-29-2008, 08:55 PM
I'd be surprised to see him on the court.

Guy is done in my opinion, just another injury waiting to happen.

will567
06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I would hope not! It is not like he was Jackson or Ron! Plus I think we all remember some great plays form #7. Plus if he leaves with class and does not bash the city or fans then I hope we cheer him to honor his time as a pacer.

Ownagedood
06-29-2008, 10:02 PM
No, he won't be booed except for our possible band wagon fans this next year.. Everyone else has great respect for him. I will cheer for him when his name is called.. But from then on, its game time.

Ramitt
06-29-2008, 11:15 PM
What do we as fans owe him? If he cared about how Indy fans viewed him, he could have opted out of his contract and resigned a new one. I owe him nothing. Thanks for some good years, now you are a raptor. Good luck.

ChicagoJ
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Why in the world would he give away $44 million dollars? Would you? In the NBA, you earn your contract based on how you played during your previous contract. This isn't the real world, in the NBA you get a six-year guaranteed contract. Which worked properly: this guy was a top-ten player and one of the top three players in the EC when he signed that maximum contract. What would be a bigger tragedy would be allowing the Pacers to cut him while he's hurt and somehow deny him what he earned.

NBA players don't have forty-year careers like accountants, mechanics, programmers, nurses, and laborers. I don't begrudge him for signing the contract he earned and expecting the Pacers to honor it.

And when JO's current contract expires, he will have earned a contract at the MLE unless he plays more than 140 games in the next two seasons.

------------

Now, the the topic of the thread:

If JO gets boo'ed, it would be a display of a pathetic fan base. I don't expect that to happen. I was at games where Jalen Rose was cheered for (including myself, of course).

While things did not work out like either the Pacers or JO planned, the ones to blame are not JO but the bozos in charge of putting the lousy, dysfunctional roster together and the coach with the slow-ball game plan.

317Kim
06-30-2008, 10:38 AM
There are always mixed reactions.

All I know is, I definitely won't be booing Jermaine.

NuffSaid
06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think he'll get booed. He didn't leave amidst controversy and no one can be absolutely sure he pushed for a trade. By all accounts, it seems as if Bird wanting him gone more than JO wanted to leave. But even if the feelings were mutual, I don't think JO will get booed when the Raptors visit the Fieldhouse.

Indianapolis_girly
06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I sure hope not.
If he does get booed they will probably be scattered.
He has his lovers and he also has his haters too.

I think my mom is gonna buy really good seats, and she says she's gonna sit on the Raptors side. I guess I'll sit on the Pacers side, but I won't be booing Jermaine, that's for sure.

naptownmenace
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
What do we as fans owe him? If he cared about how Indy fans viewed him, he could have opted out of his contract and resigned a new one. I owe him nothing. Thanks for some good years, now you are a raptor. Good luck.

But would you boo him? That's the question of the thread.

I'd cheer him when he's introduced, the same way I cheered for Dale Davis in his first game with Portland back in Indy. He's even said when he retires, he'll retire a Pacer. There's no reason to boo him.

aceace
07-05-2008, 12:17 PM
You weren't in Cincinnati booing Griffey Jr. when he was laying on the field with a blown out shoulder hustling his *** off diving for a ball, were you? OH, my mistake.

JO owes us nothing. How do you think he got injured? He's been injured ever since the brawl season. How do you think that happened? Playing his *** off for us and pretty much carrying that team until he dislocated the shoulder (and came back earlier than anticipated, IIRC) on a knee that hadn't been right since he torqued it like a mother against Detroit in the ECF the year before. I still think that moment is the cause of his knee problems to this day. And if you saw that game in the ECF, everyone's reaction at the time was, oh, ****, JO just tore his ACL. He came back in the game 2 or 3 minutes later. And now he's a lazy bum who won't play hurt? **** that ****.I think your completely missing my point, if he could have played and just sat out to save himself for next year then that is BS. If he sat because he knew he had to heal more... different story.

How about a non-response, no cheers no boo no nothing. Other than one year at 61-21 what has he done for us?

Anthem
07-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I think your completely missing my point, if he could have played and just sat out to save himself for next year then that is BS. If he sat because he knew he had to heal more... different story.

How about a non-response, no cheers no boo no nothing. Other than one year at 61-21 what has he done for us?
Other than big playoff highlights, what did Reggie ever do for us?

aceace
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Other than big playoff highlights, what did Reggie ever do for us?Stayed when he could have left... even after someone burned his house down. Made about a thousand big shots. Was a leader that other players looked up to. I'm sure others could come up with more.

Naptown_Seth
07-05-2008, 02:37 PM
If he does get boood it would be a disgrace to the city of Indianapolis.
I agree. This guy represented Indy in the all-star game more than any Pacer. Worse is that he had to be the face of a franchise that was exploding mostly because of other players. Then when you'd hope to see the air clearing and him coming out the other side back on top he was plagued with injuries.

I won't say it wasn't fair or that it was a bad break, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are a lot of great Pacers memories out there with JO in the middle of them. JO ASKED OUT OF the Bucks game so he wouldn't pass Reggie Miller's all-time points total record for example. The guy stayed out to shoot FTs with a dislocated shoulder simply because it meant he would be allowed back in the game later. Not the next game, that freaking game.

In a town that's supposed to love fundamentals he was by far the best guy at taking charges, and in a league where stars normally don't do that anyway. If Dun or Diener takes a charge it's "good hustle", if JO does it he's weak for not blocking the shot and intimidating the guy instead.

Break out some tapes from a few years ago and watch classic JO again. The dude was amazing at times.

And if you saw that game in the ECF, everyone's reaction at the time was, oh, ****, JO just tore his ACL. He came back in the game 2 or 3 minutes later. And now he's a lazy bum who won't play hurt? **** that ****QFT. Backwards. The guy's knee literally bent the wrong way. What a wimp.

Buck - I actually don't even root for them to miss every shot and play terribly. What I like most of all is when they really bring it and the Pacers still beat them by playing even better. Not just for pride's sake, but also because I hate those games where the Pacers win a crap game by default, simply because they sucked less. I want quality ball from both sides and have been known to boo or heckle the opponent for playing poorly.

YoSoyIndy
07-05-2008, 02:40 PM

JO owes us nothing. How do you think he got injured? He's been injured ever since the brawl season. How do you think that happened? Playing his *** off for us and pretty much carrying that team until he dislocated the shoulder (and came back earlier than anticipated, IIRC) on a knee that hadn't been right since he torqued it like a mother against Detroit in the ECF the year before. I still think that moment is the cause of his knee problems to this day. And if you saw that game in the ECF, everyone's reaction at the time was, oh, ****, JO just tore his ACL. He came back in the game 2 or 3 minutes later. And now he's a lazy bum who won't play hurt? **** that ****.

Griffey was getting hurt putting himself out there. JO was simply prolonging injuries.

Doddage
07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Break out some tapes from a few years ago and watch classic JO again. The dude was amazing at times.
That's the JO that I have fond memories of and the one that brought me happiness whenever I tuned into a Pacers game. I can't boo that. The JO that I knew was the one who, after halftime, turned around and approached me after I hollered at him at the Conseco tunnel to greet me, shake my hand, and give me his autograph. JO will always be a good guy in my book, and if I see him again even in another uniform, I'll show him my respect.

TheDon
07-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I booed Jackson when he came back, Ron when he came back, but I will not be among those booing JO. I just don't see any reason too, it's not so much that I owe it to him to not boo as much as it was he never did anything to make me hate him as a Pacer. Sure his injury situation was horribly annoying and frustrating to us as fans as it probably was for him. I'm not going to begrudge someone for their body not being what it used to and getting a contract that at the time not many I don't think if any would argue that he was not deserving of it. I think partially the reason it was so much if I remember right was the spurs were gunning for JO as well? (I could be wrong). Depending on what happens this season and if JO miraculously returns to form and really makes Toronto a legitimate threat good for him if he is the guy that has seen his best days come and go it's not our problem anymore. I consider it all water under the bridge and won't be the one to point fingers regardless of the outcome.

A little off topic but I think one of the biggest differences leading into this season as opposed to other seasons is i'm legitimately excited instead of of optimistically hopeful. I don't have to think going into the seasons well if this guy could just stay healthy, and this guy stay out of trouble, and this player was a better leader, and this player progresses to a certain level, we could really be a good team!! Now we have a lot of unknowns that could potentially work out pretty well for us and help us down the road or we could have a bunch of busts and be terrible and not mesh at all. Either way I'm glad Larry had a pair to pull the trigger and at least start us off headed towards a direction that he thinks will be best to get us a championship down the road.

Peck
07-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm positive there will be some boos.

Peck and bball will probably have megaphones. :-p

Oh you misjudge me.

No one and I mean no one will cheer more loudly when J.O. is announced as a member of the Toronto Raptors. ;)

Slick Pinkham
07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Do they announce visiting teams' IR players now?? :devil:

I think the question is about when the crowd camera goes around and puts people's pics up on the screen, when they pan to behind the Raptors bench at the tall guy wearing a suit, do the fans boo?

I think not.

Even if he's playing, I'd hope they wouldn't boo.

What's to dislike about an opponent playing a "franchise player" who shoots 42% from the field?

Bball
07-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Oh you misjudge me.

No one and I mean no one will cheer more loudly when J.O. is announced as a member of the Toronto Raptors. ;)

I called PS&E and asked if I could speak with Jermaine O Neal. The secretary said "I'm sorry but Jermaine O Neal is being traded and for all intents and purposes is no longer a Pacer"

So I hung up and immediately called back and asked to speak with Jermaine O Neal. She sounded a little annoyed but again told me Jermaine O Neal is no longer a Pacer.

I hung up and dialed again. THIS time she she really snapped at me and said "I TOLD you! Jermaine O Neal is no longer a Pacer!!!"

This time I told her "I know he's no longer a Pacer, but I just love hearing it!"

;)
Bball :zip:

Isaac
07-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Why would he do that? Would it have allowed us to re-sign someone who left us for a big payday? Would it have helped lure other free agents to Indianapolis?

Tell me, please, what it would have done for us to have JO restructure his contract.

People say such stupid things.

TMJ31
07-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Well, since I live in California, I won't be AT any Pacers/Raptors games.

But I will certainly watch all of them (as well as every other Pacers game and probably a good many Raptors games).

In my time as a basketball fan (since aged about 5), I was first a Reggie Miller fan... Then a Pacers/Reggie Fan... Then a Pacers/Reggie/JO fan...

Now I am reduced to being simply a Pacers fan...

It is quite tough to swallow actually, JO was the last legitimate link (Tins don't count... Jeff does a BIT) to the Reggie Pacers era, and I did not want that era to go away completely... But it has.

Of course I hope he does not get boo'ed. I hope he is received very warmly.

I hope when the Pacers and Raptors play, JO drops 40 on Indy and plays some of his best games of his career, but at the end of the game the Pacers are still up on the main board.

I simply cannot root against JO... To me it would be like rooting against Reggie, I just cannot fathom it.

Call me sentimental I suppose...

Roaming Gnome
07-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Why would he do that? Would it have allowed us to re-sign someone who left us for a big payday? Would it have helped lure other free agents to Indianapolis?

Tell me, please, what it would have done for us to have JO restructure his contract.

People say such stupid things.

QFT...

Big Smooth
07-07-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't understand why anyone would boo JO. I know some posters here were never huge fans of him but regardless, I feel like he played hard for the Blue 'n' Gold and gave it his best. Sometimes he would get foot in mouth disease but that happens. At the end of the day, I enjoyed watching him develop into an All Star and I appreciate his time here.