PDA

View Full Version : JO on 1260 the Drive

Smoothdave1
06-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Didn't see anyone post this yet as I heard part of JO's interview w/ JMV. A few highlights:

-- Noted that he was very grateful to Pacers and the fans for the past 8 years
-- Mentioned his favorite part of being in Indy was helping families and charities off the court
-- He still speaks to Reggie regularly via email or phone
-- Mentioned that he was grateful to Larry Bird and that Bird and Morway kept him and his agent informed on a weekly basis over the past few weeks as far as what teams were interested and who was in/out
-- Admitted that he and Larry didn't always communicate well and that their relationship got better over the past few months
-- Felt that he would be dealt as it wasn't about basketball anymore and was more about what the Pacers did off the court rather than on the court
-- Noted that Herb Simon wanted him to come back for one more year

Overall, JO came off as a class guy. He easily could have bashed the Pacers and no one would have questioned it, but he asked that Pacers fans continue to cheer him on in Toronto. As I mentioned, I heard most of it, but not all. Wasn't sure if anyone else heard this on Friday?

indyman37
06-28-2008, 10:01 PM
He'll have a great rest of his career in Toronto and wherever else he may end up. And I probably will find myself cheering for him. He was great guy on and off the court. Thanks for the past 8 years JO.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I'll miss JO.

I won't miss fighting with Peck about him all of the time, but I'll miss JO.

Ownagedood
06-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Ya, I'll miss him.. Glad he's gone but at the same time ill miss him.. Ill cheer for him in Toronto.. When the Raptors come and he's announced im sure we will give him a good warm welcome back "home"

Isaac
06-28-2008, 10:43 PM
-- Felt that he would be dealt as it wasn't about basketball anymore and was more about what the Pacers did off the court rather than on the court

This statement confuses me in multiple ways.

First of all, it's obviously not true, and sounds like a shot at the organization to me.

Also why would we trade Jermaine if we were concerned only about off-court actions anyways? He's the last guy we'd get rid of if that was the case.

CapnBruisin
06-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Perhaps what he meant was how the Pacers were viewed as an organization by those outside.

Might be alluding to the Pacers trying to start over with a clean slate.

NuffSaid
06-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I'll miss him, too. Most fans stopped appreciating him when all the injuries started catching up to him. Like Herb, I'd liked for him to stay one more year, but it wasn't meant to be. I just hope those who wanted him gone won't be made to regret it now that he's no longer here.

"Be careful what you wish for. It just may come true."

Felt that he would be dealt as it wasn't about basketball anymore and was more about what the Pacers did off the court rather than on the court

This statement confuses me in multiple ways...why would we trade Jermaine if we were concerned only about off-court actions anyways? He's the last guy we'd get rid of if that was the case.
I think thing what JO was trying to say is that the focus for the franchise became less about getting the most competitive guys out there and more about find guys with good character. We all know the Pacers' image got severely tarnished with the Brawl. I even started a thread here not long ago that talked about the GS trade, as well as those made during the prior summer, were more about finding players with good character than finding players with the best talent. Sometimes desire and determination can win out. But it was clear to me early on that all the roster moves including those made on draft-night have all been about changing the image of the franchise.

So, when I read a statement like "it was all about what the Pacers did off the court rather than on the court" and knowing what I know about JO being a competitor and that the franchise has been trying to clean up it's image from the Brawl, I'm not that surprised. The only negative I see on JO's part is that he failed to realilze that such changes were absolutely necessary for this team to have any chance of moving forward. I'd loved for him to have stayed, but maybe for him and the Pacers (for now) it was for the best.

I wish him well and will root for him even when he faces my boyz. (I'll just hope he has an individually spectacular night but that the Raptors fall short.)

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 10:54 PM

First of all, it's obviously not true, and sounds like a shot at the organization to me.

Also why would we trade Jermaine if we were concerned only about off-court actions anyways? He's the last guy we'd get rid of if that was the case.

Yes, that statement is off base. If he were healthy he would not be getting traded because he would be playing 80 games a season putting up 25ppg and 10+ boards a game. You don't trade that. The problem is, he's nothing close to that.

But I don't put too much stock in this. Good luck to him in Toronto. Hopefully he plays a full season...

CapnBruisin
06-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Too bad the Pacers brought the JO's injurys on ourselve by asking him to bulk up and change his playing style.

Pacers have no one to blame for the injuries but themselves IMHO

or at least Rick Carlisle

Bball
06-28-2008, 11:06 PM

I don't think he was taking a shot at the organization... It was just talk to either convince himself or others that this trade had nothing to do with what he was capable of bringing to the court.

-Bball

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Too bad the Pacers brought the JO's injurys on ourselve by asking him to bulk up and change his playing style.

You can't be serious. You should change your handle to CapnMorgan.

Arcadian
06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't think it was a shot at anyone. It was just how he felt that the biggest Pacer headlines were being made of the court not on it. There is a lot of truth to that. I can't imagine it has been a very enjoyable work environment the last 3 years.

Welcome CapnBruisin. I hope you enjoy the boards here. We don't always accuse people of being drunk when we disagree.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Plenty of people here have said what I'm sure has gone on in the minds of TPTB: Jermaine was face of the brawl team. The Pacers wouldn't really have it behind them until all of those guys were gone.

JO never left the court, but did clock one guy in a move that got replayed every time the brawl was discussed. Even if he was healthy and producing well, it might be in the team's best interest to move him.

Tinsley, the guy who really needs to go, played almost no role in the brawl (other than comedic relief).

Anthem
06-28-2008, 11:18 PM
I don't think it was a shot at anyone. It was just how he felt that the biggest Pacer headlines were being made of the court not on it. There is a lot of truth to that. I can't imagine it has been a very enjoyable work environment the last 3 years.
That was how I originally took it as well. I'd have to listen to it to make sure, but I can't imagine that he took a shot at the Pacers, when so far this summer he's gone out of his way to avoid doing so.

ABADays
06-28-2008, 11:19 PM

I kind of took it that way too.

Nonetheless, he was a good citizen here so I do hope things work out for him. It just wasn't going to here.

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 11:21 PM

Welcome CapnBruisin. I hope you enjoy the boards here. We don't always accuse people of being drunk when we disagree.

Sorry if that came off as a cheap shot...and I don't mean a shot of the Capn. I did disagree with him but was making an *attempt* at humor.

Hicks
06-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Agreed; if that's really what JO said, and that's really what he meant, that's an odd statement.

LoneGranger33
06-28-2008, 11:38 PM
I think he's talking about image. As much as Ron Artest, he was the face of the brawl team, when the trouble started. It makes sense to me, even if it does downplay his rare appearances on court.

Cobol Sam
06-29-2008, 12:20 AM

Nearly every basketball player ever drafted into this league is asked to bulk up and make changes. The Pacers did not bring JOs injuries on themselves, nor can they be reasonably blamed for the occurrence of those injuries. And unless Rick Carlise pulled a Tanya Harding that I somehow was never aware of, then I'd say you are just being silly.

And another thing, captain crunch cuts the roof of my mouth.

CapnBruisin
06-29-2008, 12:22 AM
You can't be serious. You should change your handle to CapnMorgan.

maybe Im exaggerating a bit, but I do beleive those played a large role.

BlueNGold
06-29-2008, 12:51 AM
maybe Im exaggerating a bit, but I do beleive those played a large role.

My recollection is that JO's knee was injured during one particular play where it bent the wrong way. It was not due to constant pounding of more weight, but one play. That's happened to many players in the league. He also had a shoulder injury that had nothing to do with being physically bigger...unless JO simply shouldn't be blocking shots. That shoulder injury was the first thing that knocked him down a solid notch.

IMO, he is simply prone to injury. Not Bender prone, but prone. ...and even if what you say is true, it cannot be proven. That's why I would not call out RC or the Pacers like that. IMO, they do not deserve it.

Shade
06-29-2008, 02:28 AM
I'll definitely miss JO and keep an eye on him in Toronto. Class act all the way. :thumbsup:

PR07
06-29-2008, 02:32 AM
I think what Jermaine meant is that his name is still associated with the Brawl for A. Hitting a guy on the court. B. He was the best player on that team. A lot of casual NBA fans may have a negative character image of JO because of this. It's untrue, but it's hard to change perceptions

As for JO's injuries, it seemed like it all went downhill with that freak knee injury against Detroit in the playoffs. He was durable before that, but that's when the knee injuries starting flaring up. Has had trouble keeping it healthy since.

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 03:01 AM
I'll miss JO.

I won't miss fighting with Peck about him all of the time, but I'll miss JO.
I got a little emotional when this was announced, almost as bad, but I cried when we traded Jalen Rose.

Jose Slaughter
06-29-2008, 03:38 AM
Sorry to be the little rain cloud but I won't miss him at all.

I think it took him too long to grow up & stop being a posser & his game was way too soft for the body he grew into.

If this was the JO appreciation thread I'd read it, just shake my head & move on.

I like what he had to say, at least the parts posted above, but, will I miss him? Nope.

That reminds me, I went to school with a guy named Will I Mishim.

Bball
06-29-2008, 04:12 AM

I think it took him too long to grow up & stop being a poser & his game was way too soft for the body he grew into.

If this was the JO appreciation thread I'd read it, just shake my head & move on.

I like what he had to say, at least the parts posted above, but, will I miss him? Nope.

I'm right there with ya! I'm trying not to pi$$ in anyone's Wheaties tho and I know he had his share of fans here. That said, it's really hard to temper what I say when I'm actually excited to no end that the JO era is over.

-Bball

Isaac
06-29-2008, 05:28 AM
I got a little emotional when this was announced, almost as bad, but I cried when we traded Jalen Rose.

Really? Oh man, when we made that Rose trade with the Bulls I jumped up and down and cheered. I couldn't stand Jalen, and I was so thrilled with getting Artest and Brad Miller.

Tom White
06-29-2008, 10:58 AM

I think it took him too long to grow up & stop being a posser & his game was way too soft for the body he grew into.

That reminds me, I went to school with a guy named Will I Mishim.

I'm of this mind as well. I got very tired of O'Neal "posing" or "staring down" the crowd after a dunk or block. Especially when everone else is heading down the floor to the other end.

I also got tired of hearing him talk about what he was going to do, or how he was going to dominate. He seemed focused on himself instead of the team.

He was just never even near being a favorite payer for me.

CapnBruisin
06-29-2008, 11:02 AM
My recollection is that JO's knee was injured during one particular play where it bent the wrong way. It was not due to constant pounding of more weight, but one play. That's happened to many players in the league. He also had a shoulder injury that had nothing to do with being physically bigger...unless JO simply shouldn't be blocking shots. That shoulder injury was the first thing that knocked him down a solid notch.

IMO, he is simply prone to injury. Not Bender prone, but prone. ...and even if what you say is true, it cannot be proven. That's why I would not call out RC or the Pacers like that. IMO, they do not deserve it.

You might be right, it might be because of the knee he got out of shape. Perhaps it was just his complaining about playing center that got me to that line of thinking.

gilpdawg
06-29-2008, 11:20 AM
I know that it was time for a change from both sides, but I'll still miss the guy. He's probably my favorite Pacer of all time, next to Reginald, of course. And Detlef. I always liked Det. I was upset when we traded him, although that trade worked out awesome in the end.

(Hope the new trades are like that, but I doubt it.)

OnlyPacersLeft
06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll still cheer for JO...matter of fact i'll buy his toronto jersey. Hope he drops his security guy ;) that guys a toole...

Peck
06-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Wow, I'm glad you three (Jose, Tom & Bball) are the ones who did this.:D

I have been dancing on landmines trying not to say anything that would upset anyone about J.O.

But I actually read this thread last night and felt like we alreayd had one J.O. appreciation thread and made this long post about how I really felt about him only to turn around and delete it because what is the point now.

I'll just say this.

I won't miss him, I won't a thing about him.

I HATED the Jermaine O'Neal era pacers.

There I said it & I actually feel better having said it.

There were some players I liked during that time, but overall??? No, I hated the way we played, the way we acted. For 7 seasons I have been going to games feeling like a zombie. I go because I have always loved our franchise but man was that tough.

I won't bother to list the fact that I think he was overrated, over pampered and over paid. Because all of that is subjective and there will be a line of people on here telling me I'm wrong.

But since my own feelings are also subjective then I feel perfectly fine with saying that I feel as though I have come out of 7 years of trials and tribulations and that I can now remove the sack cloth and ashes and once again jump head first into the deep end of being a Pacers fan.

Believe it or not the above is about 26 paragraphs shorter and much more polite than my post was last night. :)

Shade
06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Believe it or not the above is about 26 paragraphs shorter and much more polite than my post was last night. :)

I'm sure you'll make up for that at the forum party. :-p

imawhat
06-29-2008, 03:33 PM
He could have easily bashed the Pacers, and I give him credit for not doing it. That's Jermaine doing what he does best; talking.

I won't miss Jermaine, personally, but the team will REALLY miss his defense and threat level. I don't care how much bashing is done. Jermaine is a very good player, and no trade was going to give us equal value in return (unless Hibbert winds up being an all-star).

I won't miss the diva. I haven't "liked" Jermaine since his bold "I can't be stopped" proclamation/disappearing act against the Nets in the 02 playoffs.

I think his words to the press interfered with our front office and put his teammates in an uncomfortable position multiple times; the LAST thing a leader should do. I also thought he had a real problem backing his words up. It was only made worse by the sharp contrast provided by Reggie.

ABADays
06-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I can now remove the sack cloth and ashes and once again jump head first into the deep end of being a Pacers fan.

I must have your tailor because I knew exactly what you needed.