PDA

View Full Version : Who is next to go this summer?

PaceBalls
06-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Larry might be done, but I don't think so. So this is a bit of speculation on who would be traded next.

I think they will try to move Tinsley as soon as anyone bites, but there would have to be something to sweeten it. I look at our roster and the only guy I can see who would sweeten the deal is Shawne. He is cheap, with tons of potential.

I can also see him being packaged with Dunleavy Tinsley or Jeff, maybe Murph, but no one wants Murph's contract. It has to be one of the worst out there.

Now, this isn't neccesarily what I think we should do, I don't want them to give up on Shawne yet. I also think he could play the 4 for us very well if he keeps nose clean and gets a bit more experience.

A lineup of
TJ
Rush
Granger
Shawne
Hibbert

Looks like a good young core to me. I also like our vets alot too, having Dun to help Rush along would be very nice. Having Jeff here as an anchor for Shawne and Hibbert. Murph isnt really that bad, its just he has the worst contract in the league pretty much, he can help the young guys along as well.

I just don't see anyone taking Junior, Murph or Tins without adding one of those guys or a few future 1st rounders or us taking back just as horrible contracts as we ship out.

I think I would rather just start with this group minus Tins, and give Shawne another chance this year.

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I really hope he can package Jeff and Shawne with Tinsley to get him off the roster without a buyout.

PaceBalls
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I really hope he can package Jeff and Shawne with Tinsley to get him off the roster without a buyout.

Yeah, but I think that is giving up an awful lot, of course it depends on who we can get back. But Shawne is tons of potential, and might be the best PF we could get in a few years.

Jeff is our anchor, and with all these new guys and kids, I think we are really gonna need him.

I can't really think of any guy we could reasonbly trade these guys for that I would rather have right now. No one is gonna trade a star for those guys.

Sandman21
06-28-2008, 08:14 PM
I'd trade Tinsley for a donut at this point if that meant getting rid of him.

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I would bet that Quis is the next to go.

I don't see us being able to unload JT...although we could probably throw in Shawne and someone might bite. It would be good to get rid of JT, Shawne and David Harrison this summer...I would be fine if we could get rid of two of them.

I would also like to see MDJ traded, but I doubt it. If baby Rush is good as advertised, Dun becomes immediately expendable. Maybe we could get quality for quantity somehow.

Until some of these new players show some worth, I would not trade Foster. He is still our best big until another man steps forward.

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I would bet that Quis is the next to go.

I don't see us being able to unload JT...although we could probably throw in Shawne and someone might bite. It would be good to get rid of JT, Shawne and David Harrison this summer...I would be fine if we could get rid of two of them.

I would also like to see MDJ traded, but I doubt it. If baby Rush is good as advertised, Dun becomes immediately expendable. Maybe we could get quality for quantity somehow.

Until some of these new players show some worth, I would not trade Foster. He is still our best big until another man steps forward.

I think that one of our swingmen has to go. I hope it will be Daniels, but who knows. To me there is no way to keep Danny, Shawn, Rush, Marquis, and Mike all happy with playing time. If we can somehow package one of them with one of our bigs to get a quality PF or package one with Tinsley to get out from under his contract it will only be a good thing. Surely, as an expiring contract Daniels has to have some value. It would be nice to keep him to get that cap relief here, but I have to think that he is the odd man out in that group as far as playing time.

maragin
06-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't see Rush in our starting lineup, but that's besides the point. (I should note, you mentioned moving Dunleavy)

Guys I want here to start the season: Granger, Dunleavy, Foster, Ford, B. Rush, Nesto, Hibbert, Jack

Guys I wouldn't mind parting with as part of a deal: Diener, Williams, Murphy, Baston

Guys I'd be shopping heavily: Daniels, K. Rush, Murray, Graham, Owens

Guys I'd like to see shipped for any value at all: Harrison, Tinsley, McRoberts

The next guy to go might be one of our free agents, but I'd like to see us work a deal to strengthen our front court. My guess is either Marquis Daniels or Shawn Williams will be the next guy sent out via a front office move.

Justin Tyme
06-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Quis or Williams.

My preferrence would be Quis. I don't really see a place for him on this team now.

I don't see any GM taking on Tinjury's contract or problems.

mrknowname
06-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't see Rush in our starting lineup, but that's besides the point. (I should note, you mentioned moving Dunleavy)

Guys I want here to start the season: Granger, Dunleavy, Foster, Ford, B. Rush, Nesto, Hibbert, Jack

Guys I wouldn't mind parting with as part of a deal: Diener, Williams, Murphy, Baston

The next guy to go might be one of our free agents, but I'd like to see us work a deal to strengthen our front court. My guess is either Marquis Daniels or Shawn Williams will be the next guy sent out via a front office move.

kareem rush, harrison, murray, and owens are all not on the team i believe

BruceLeeroy
06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Figure out how to rid ourselves of Tinsley I would think. Can someone explain the cap implications if we just buy him out? I'd hate to have to give up a prospect just to get rid of him.

Then I'd probably look to get rid of Marquis. There won't be many minutes for him, and I think we'd be better off signing Kareem to another short contract to help his brothers transition to the NBA. I'd say he fits JOB's offense better also. Not sure if Kareem would be into it, but if so I would like to have him back.

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Figure out how to rid ourselves of Tinsley I would think. Can someone explain the cap implications if we just buy him out? I'd hate to have to give up a prospect just to get rid of him.

Then I'd probably look to get rid of Marquis. There won't be many minutes for him, and I think we'd be better off signing Kareem to another short contract to help his brothers transition to the NBA. I'd say he fits JOB's offense better also. Not sure if Kareem would be into it, but if so I would like to have him back.

I think that if Tinsley agrees to a buyout, the total amount is divided among the number of years remaining on his contract as far as the salary cap is concerned. So there would be only very, very minor benefit to the salary cap to buy him out as opposed to keeping him. Obviously, the benefit is he is not around to be a cancerous tumor to the team.

maragin
06-28-2008, 09:17 PM
kareem rush, harrison, murray, and owens are all not on the team i believe

A valid point, but I wanted to include everybody, even the FAs.

To my detriment, I didn't count Lorbek or da' Stank.

aero
06-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Tinsley HAS to go, I dont really want to part with Jeff he would be great to have....but if it came down to a playoff team needing that final piece for their run...and we could make out on the trade for the better then i think id have to take it.

BoomBaby31
06-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd trade Tinsley for a donut at this point if that meant getting rid of him.

I like this idea, I read a couple months back where a minor league (baseball) player was traded for 10 wooden baseball bats. Maybe we could trade Tinsley for something similar.

Smoothdave1
06-28-2008, 09:27 PM
As of July 9th, the Pacers will have 16 players under contract (assuming they sign Hibbert and Rush):

PG: Ford, Jack, Diener, Tinsley
SG: Dunleavy, B. Rush, Daniels
SF: Granger, Williams, Graham
PF: Murphy, McRoberts, Baston
C: Rasho, Foster, Hibbert

I was under the impression that McRoberts had a one year deal with Portland last season, which makes me wonder if part of the deal with Portland is that he will sign another one year deal as part of the trade? I'm sure we'll hear more in the next few weeks.

With that said, Rush, Harrison, Owens and Murray are NOT under contract for next season and I question who, if any, of them would be back, especially given the Pacers salary cap right now.

I would expect Tinsley and Daniels to be the next to go. Daniels is in the last year of his deal and could be attractive to a team looking to shed salary and we might be able to get them to take Tinsley too.

I doubt the Pacers look to deal Foster as they just started a marketing campaign with him and he's in the last year of his deal too. Besides, the Pacers will be shedding about 26.5 million in salary after next season as Foster, Daniels, Rasho, Baston, Jack, McRoberts and Graham are all free agents. ***This will be partially off-set by Granger's extension.

My guess is that Larry may look for a two for one with Tinsley and Daniels. Otherwise, I could see Daniels being dealt and Tinsley simply bought out if no suitors are available.

Putnam
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Doesn't Harrison's contract end on Tuesday, July 1? He'll be the next to go. The Pacers would have to sign him in order to trade him, and they'd have to do it in the next day.

Or am I mistaken?

beast23
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
At this point, I don't believe the Pacers are concerned about the cap as it pertains to Tinsley.

He has to go, but they probably won't give up anyone that fits into their plans in order to get rid of him... not unless they can get another player in return that can fill a need.

And, they will try for a while to make that happen. So, I don't look for Tinsley to be gone until training camp, when the Pacers finally give up and just buy him out.

Seems like I read that they have a week to decide whether to retain Graham. So the verdict on him should be coming up very soon.

Beyond that, I would think that an offer will be extended to KRush and that a deal will be worked out involving Williams.

Rajah Brown
06-28-2008, 09:35 PM
Foster is the last guy I want to see go. But he turns 32 this coming
season. He's probably at a point where he's about as attractive to a
playoff team as a missing, complimentary piece as he's ever going to
get.

Unless he's interested in signing a 2-yr deal for less than he's making
now to stick around in Indy and Bird wants to keep him for reasons
beyond the court, I'll be pretty surprised if he's still here when
next season ends.

It'd be fun to see him here to enjoy a revival in the next couple years.
But it makes good sense to use his value to either help unload someone
else or try and acquire a future 1st round pick.

TheSauceMaster
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't see any GM taking on Tinjury's contract or problems.

People said the same thing about J.O. before the Toronto trade came along. I think someone will bite eventually. The problem is at what cost is the question.

Smoothdave1
06-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Pacers already picked up the option on Graham 6 weeks ago per pacers.com:
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/graham_option_080512.html

Star obviously missed this before the article ran this morning.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Makes no sense to trade Foster or Quis unless we have to.

Both are expiring contracts who can be dealt at the deadline.

beast23
06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Makes no sense to trade Foster or Quis unless we have to.

Both are expiring contracts who can be dealt at the deadline.

I think the expiring contracts or team options on players next summer that we don't have to pick up and that may be the biggest bargaining asset we have to make a trade next February.

Nesterovic 8.4M, Daniels 6.86M, Foster 5.5M, Baston 1.98M, Graham 0.83M, McRoberts 0.71M

That gives us over 24M in expiring contracts. That seems like a lot of flexibility to help acquire another decent player.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
People said the same thing about J.O. before the Toronto trade came along. I think someone will bite eventually. The problem is at what cost is the question.
Just for fun.

Contract-wise, you move Tinsley the same way Toronto moved Ford. You trade a 3-year contract and a 1-year contract for a 2-year contract. Both sides can say they improved their cap situation.

Tinsley makes 6.75, Quis makes 6.8, Foster makes 5.5, and Rasho makes 8.4. Figure on Shawne as a throw-in. So you're looking at a possible range of 13.75 to 16.65 for the outgoing salary. That means an incoming package can be anywhere from 10.9 to 22.3mil.

A quick perusal of NBA salaries on ShamSports reveals the perfect candidate: Ben Wallace. Foster/Tinsley/Shawne for Ben Wallace and a future first. What do you think?

It would also work for:
Erick Dampier - Probably not. Rick loves Foster, and Cubes might eat Tinsley's contract, but they need Damp.
Marcus Camby+tiny filler - Nope. I wish.
Al Harrington+tiny filler - Makes you wonder. If B-Diddy splits, this could be something to come back to. I'm not in love with Baby Al, but I like him better than Tinsley.
Miller/Cardinal - Hard to say. Memphis doesn't need another PG, but they're all about the bottom line and this would save them money while netting a hometown prospect.
Michael Redd - In my fantasy world
Dalembert - Never a believer in Dalembert, but Philly doesn't do this.
Shaq - Nope.
Brad Miller - Dunno. They're pretty desperate for a PG... actually I have no idea what they're trying to do as a franchise.

Pig Nash
06-29-2008, 12:44 AM
I'd do any of those.

imawhat
06-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Now, this isn't neccesarily what I think we should do, I don't want them to give up on Shawne yet. I also think he could play the 4 for us very well if he keeps nose clean and gets a bit more experience.

I think Shawne could easily be a 4. He scored on almost every postup he had last year. For a skinny guy, he really powers the ball to the basket.

Unfortunately, he seems to be gone. I don't see why we don't give him a chance, save Larry knowing something we don't.

Why else bring Perkins in as dir. of player development? Don't think Rush and Hibbert have a maturity issue.

jeffg-body
06-29-2008, 01:39 AM
I like this idea, I read a couple months back where a minor league (baseball) player was traded for 10 wooden baseball bats. Maybe we could trade Tinsley for something similar.

How about a dozen donuts and you have a deal.

Moses
06-29-2008, 01:53 AM

I agree with that player list completely. If we can't move Tinsley, I think we really just need to buy him out. He has absolutely no use anymore. Maybe we'll be able to package Shawne and Tinsley together and get a decent body to play PF/C for us.

spreedom
06-29-2008, 02:02 AM
Any chance the Warriors would trade a portion of that trade exception to us for Tins and a second rounder?

http://www.tuttogratis.it/img/fotogallery/8/178/the_40_year_old_virgin_andy_reading_comic.jpg
Is it true... if you don't use it, you lose it?

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 02:55 AM

:D

Dun Dun can't go.

Alpolloloco
06-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Just for fun.

Contract-wise, you move Tinsley the same way Toronto moved Ford. You trade a 3-year contract and a 1-year contract for a 2-year contract. Both sides can say they improved their cap situation.

Tinsley makes 6.75, Quis makes 6.8, Foster makes 5.5, and Rasho makes 8.4. Figure on Shawne as a throw-in. So you're looking at a possible range of 13.75 to 16.65 for the outgoing salary. That means an incoming package can be anywhere from 10.9 to 22.3mil.

A quick perusal of NBA salaries on ShamSports reveals the perfect candidate: Ben Wallace. Foster/Tinsley/Shawne for Ben Wallace and a future first. What do you think?

It would also work for:
Erick Dampier - Probably not. Rick loves Foster, and Cubes might eat Tinsley's contract, but they need Damp.
Al Harrington+tiny filler - Makes you wonder. If B-Diddy splits, this could be something to come back to. I'm not in love with Baby Al, but I like him better than Tinsley.
Miller/Cardinal - Hard to say. Memphis doesn't need another PG, but they're all about the bottom line and this would save them money while netting a hometown prospect.
Shaq - Nope.
Brad Miller - Dunno. They're pretty desperate for a PG... actually I have no idea what they're trying to do as a franchise.

For me the perfect candidate would be Shawn Marion.

The Matrix is also in his last year and the Heat could really use some vets like Foster, Daniels and Tinsley.

Will Galen
06-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Just for fun.

It would also work for:
Shaq - Nope.

Detroit got rid of Ben Wallace at the perfect time, because he's going downhill fast. Jeff Foster is better by himself. Plus Wallace has a huge contract, (14.5m) and was the one that started the Brawl.

Memphis Miller was traded to Minnesota. Fact is I don't really like any of your trades for various reasons.

As for trading Tinsley, if the report I read on here is true that he's gained 25 pounds and his knee is shot, we could just carry him on the roster for a year and then be able to retire him with a medical exception. Then his last two years would be paid by insurance, and he would come off our cap. In that case we would probably cut McRoberts if we didn't swing any more trades. Of course that scenario depends on whether the rumor is true and Tinsley's knee is really shot.

If he's really let himself go and gained 25 pounds the only other option would be to buy him out and be done with it.

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 03:34 AM
See, if we would trade Tinsley for a box of doughnuts, he still wouldn't leave. He'd have to eat them first.

Will Galen
06-29-2008, 03:37 AM
For me the perfect candidate would be Shawn Marion.

The Matrix is also in his last year and the Heat could really use some vets like Foster, Daniels and Tinsley.

True, but not going to happen. Miami isn't going to give up an all star for a bunch of part time starters.

Taterhead
06-29-2008, 04:23 AM
I would like to see us try and create a package for Elton Brand if he chooses not to opt out. If we offered Dunleavy, Foster, Williams and a 1st, for Brand and Thornton, that could be pretty enticing to the Clippers, since they will lose Brand anyways. They would get an established player, an expiring contract, a promising young player and a 1st rnd draft pick. It certainly seems better than anything the Heat or Sixers could offer and they are the most interested in him.

Even if we couldn't resign him, we could sign and trade him for a lot of draft picks/young players. And we would have an extra 10 million in cap space even if we couldn't do that. But we could offer him more than anyone else so I don't see why we couldn't keep him.

All I know is a guy like that would really balance this team out and give us a direction. A move like that would also re-energize the fanbase and get people back in the fieldhouse.

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Mike can and will never play for his dad.

Brand would be a welcome addition, but I don't think that LAC would be willing to take on a contract like Dun Dun's. Even with filler. I would not give them much for Brand, he does seem to have decent numbers, but it isn't worth it.

FYI: As of three days ago the fanbase was re-energized. :P

Anthem
06-29-2008, 08:39 AM
I'd do any of those.
Obviously.

When I said "Nope" I meant that the other team wouldn't consider it.

Anthem
06-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Detroit got rid of Ben Wallace at the perfect time, because he's going downhill fast. Jeff Foster is better by himself.
Which is why Cleveland might be willing to deal him.

As for trading Tinsley, if the report I read on here is true that he's gained 25 pounds and his knee is shot, we could just carry him on the roster for a year and then be able to retire him with a medical exception.
I don't buy that for a moment. The knee thing, at least.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2008, 09:36 AM
I think that one of our swingmen has to go. I hope it will be Daniels, but who knows. To me there is no way to keep Danny, Shawn, Rush, Marquis, and Mike all happy with playing time. If we can somehow package one of them with one of our bigs to get a quality PF or package one with Tinsley to get out from under his contract it will only be a good thing. Surely, as an expiring contract Daniels has to have some value. It would be nice to keep him to get that cap relief here, but I have to think that he is the odd man out in that group as far as playing time.

I believe both Quis and Williams will be traded. Quis b/c he's a duplication with an expiring, and Williams b/c Bird is cleaning house. Not to mention that Bird has already said he'd trade Shawne if a trade can be found.

I seems like when people mention players and PT that Graham gets left out of the equation. I'm a firm believer the kid can play/produce if given the minutes. With Quis and Williams gone, there should be some minutes for Graham this year to show what he can do. I believe his value is more than a 13-15 player and as an expiring. JMOAA

Justin Tyme
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Daniels is in the last year of his deal

This isn't true. Quis has 2 years remaining on his contract. What he does have is a team option after this year which allows the Pacers or any other team not to pick up the last year, 09-10, of the contract.

It's constantly being stated Quis has an expiring, which isn't correct. Although not picking up the last year of Quis' contract makes it like an expiring.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Doesn't Harrison's contract end on Monday, July 1? He'll be the next to go. The Pacers would have to sign him in order to trade him, and they'd have to do it in the next day.

Or am I mistaken?

IIRC, Harrison wasn't extended a qualifying offer thus making him a RFA. I don't see the Pacers matching any teams offer for Harrison if he even gets an offer.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2008, 09:57 AM
I would like to see us try and create a package for Elton Brand if he chooses not to opt out. If we offered Dunleavy, Foster, Williams and a 1st, for Brand and Thornton, that could be pretty enticing to the Clippers, since they will lose Brand anyways. They would get an established player, an expiring contract, a promising young player and a 1st rnd draft pick. It certainly seems better than anything the Heat or Sixers could offer and they are the most interested in him.

Even if we couldn't resign him, we could sign and trade him for a lot of draft picks/young players. And we would have an extra 10 million in cap space even if we couldn't do that. But we could offer him more than anyone else so I don't see why we couldn't keep him.

All I know is a guy like that would really balance this team out and give us a direction. A move like that would also re-energize the fanbase and get people back in the fieldhouse.

The Clippers are very high on Thorton. He was one of the best rookie players this past season. They consider him part of their future like the Pacers do Granger. I don't see them willing to trade him.

esabyrn333
06-29-2008, 10:26 AM
What about.....

Eddy Curry for Jamaal Tinsley & Travis Dieneer :devil:

Or

Zach Randolph for Jamaal Tinsley & Marquise Daniels :buddies:

Smooth_for_Pres.
06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2008/06/28/2008-06-28_josh_smith_ron_artest_elton_brand_could_.html

NY Daily News saying Bird has already decided to buyout Tins....

Smooth_for_Pres.
06-29-2008, 10:41 AM
"If the Pacers can't trade Jamaal Tinsley, they're buying him out. They reached that decision even before they stocked up on point guards by dealing for T.J. Ford and Jarrett Jack. Tinsley has three years left on his deal, in excess of $21 milllion. The Knicks are not interested, nor should they be. They don't have the infrastructure set up yet to deal with a problem player. ... "

Cobol Sam
06-29-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2008/06/28/2008-06-28_josh_smith_ron_artest_elton_brand_could_.html

NY Daily News saying Bird has already decided to buyout Tins....

That link says NOTHING about Tinsley or the Pacers.... :confused:

Smooth_for_Pres.
06-29-2008, 10:44 AM
That link says NOTHING about Tinsley or the Pacers.... :confused:

It's in the right hand column....

Cobol Sam
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
It's in the right hand column....

Ah so it is. :D

Smooth_for_Pres.
06-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Not sure where they are getting their info... Haven't seen anyone else talk about it with such certainty.

mrknowname
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
This isn't true. Quis has 2 years remaining on his contract. What he does have is a team option after this year which allows the Pacers or any other team not to pick up the last year, 09-10, of the contract.

It's constantly being stated Quis has an expiring, which isn't correct. Although not picking up the last year of Quis' contract makes it like an expiring.

well technically he's not an expiring, but no team in their right mind would pick up that team option.

owl
06-29-2008, 01:18 PM

I really doubt they move Jeff. Did you see the big ad and write up of Jeff in the Sunday
Star?

Infinite MAN_force
06-29-2008, 01:42 PM
A few points...

I don't think Bird will trade Dunleavy right now. I could see how it makes sense in future plans, but if you are expecting Rush to come in as a rookie and give you 19/5/4 you might be a little off. Got to ease these rookies in.

Also, I would rather have the cap relief that comes from sitting Marquis on the end of the bench for a season and not picking up his option.

Looks like Tinsley will be bought out.

Personally I really doubt any more moves will be made. I hope we don't throw away shawne for nothing either. I am pretty content going into next season.

PR07
06-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Tinsley.

Personally, I'm still a huge fan of Tinsley+Murphy for Kenyon Martin. Don't see us trading Dunleavy as we need his scoring. Don't see us trading Foster because we need his interior defense. No one else on our team is particularly strong in that department although Rasho is pretty good against big centers like Eddy Curry that always seem to give us trouble.

CableKC
06-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Who is next to go?

Tinsley with a trade ( very unlikely ) or a buyout ( very likely )...that's obvious if not a no-brainer.

But other then that....I really think that it would be more prudent ( after making these worldwind moves over the last week ) to simply make limited ( if no more) moves for the rest of the season.

As for the rest of the team.....I REALLY want to keep all the Expiring Contracts that we have UNLESS a no-brainer deal comes along for a player that not only makes sense for us ( a scoring PF ) but also does not hinder our ability to resign Granger, Jack and ( most notably ) Foster next season.

I really think that we have to be financially smart about what moves we make this upcoming season. It may not sound glamourous....but this likely means that we can't make any rash moves and let Marquis and Rasho expire.

I don't mind seeing what a Marquis+Shawne offer can get us....but in reality....I'm not expecting the type of players that will help us IF not hinder us for the immediate future.

I believe that the core of players that we should build around starting in the 2009-2010 season is Ford/Dunleavy/Murphy/Hibbert/Rush/Diener while resigning Granger ( Duh ), Jack and Foster in the 2009 offseason. Most notably...Foster is one of the players that I want to keep around for his veteran experience, hustle, energy, offensive rebounding and likely mentoring of Hibbert. I really think that it is important to build around the primary core that we had last season so that we can continue building that team chemistry that we have had over the last season while getting players that fit JO'Bs system. I don't want to make any moves that would jeopordize that.

Sandman21
06-29-2008, 09:17 PM
See, if we would trade Tinsley for a box of doughnuts, he still wouldn't leave. He'd have to eat them first.

But his salary would still be off our books, either way we win. :D

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 06:59 AM
I really doubt they move Jeff. Did you see the big ad and write up of Jeff in the Sunday Star?

Nope. Link?

Glad (I guess) to hear Mitch Lawrence saying the Tins buy-out is a go. That probably means we're not trading him now, however, as no one is gonna give something up for a guy they can sign for the vet minimum is three months. Really, it sucks for our cap, but what else can we do at this point? You can't let him suit up.

Oh well.

Unclebuck
06-30-2008, 10:43 AM

I don't understand why you would want to do that. Adding JT to Foster or Williams will greatly lower their trade value. (in fact it probably kills any trade value they might have) A buyout is a much better way to go, what is the downside - except for the Simons

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't see Shawne as having too much value anyway and we're likely gonna lose Foster soon. So if we could get rid of all three for literally nothing (meaning expirings), and not suffer three years of JT cap hit then I'm all for it.

Jeff/Shawne/Jamaal for Wally and a 2nd Round pick would be a-okay with me.

ChicagoJ
06-30-2008, 10:59 AM
I agree with the other Jay.

Hopefully Williams is the next to go. I wouldn't object if Daniels and Foster followed shortly thereafter (although I'm not opposed to moving them in February either) - not that I have any real problem with either player (in the right role) except that shipping them out will force JOB to play the young kids and develop them.

Its too bad the CBA makes it very hard to trade Foster and Daniels separately for first rounders. If we got a first rounder in the next two years for each of them I'd be delighted.

No reason to buy out Tinsley until the day before training camp starts - no way in the world is he "next".

In fact, I think you tell him to stay home from camp and see if any team loses a PG to an ACL in the preseason and then you can trade Tinsley to them.

(And don't forget, I like Tinsley.)

Unclebuck
06-30-2008, 11:19 AM
No reason to buy out Tinsley until the day before training camp starts - no way in the world is he "next".

In fact, I think you tell him to stay home from camp and see if any team loses a PG to an ACL in the preseason and then you can trade Tinsley to them.

(And don't forget, I like Tinsley.)

One reason to buy him out asap is if you think he is likely to get into some more trouble

Bball
06-30-2008, 11:59 AM
One reason to buy him out asap is if you think he is likely to get into some more trouble

:idea:

Actually, that may be why the FO has been so up front about Tinsley not being part of the future plans. As Jay said, they can hold onto him and just ask him to stay away during camp in hopes that someone will decide they desperately need a PG. Meanwhile, if Tinsley does get into trouble everyone and his brother knows that Tinsley is only a Pacer as a matter of technicality at this point.

Instead of the public reaction being- "See, the Pacers are still bad eggs" it would be "No wonder they set him out last season and are getting rid of him"

-Bball

ChicagoJ
06-30-2008, 12:04 PM

What could he possibly do this offseason? If you guys are right and he's just cashing a paycheck, he deosn't want to jeopardize getting 100 cents on the dollar in his buyout.

Shawne Williams causes more distractions in the offseason than Tinsley does.