PDA

View Full Version : Herb Simon Interview with IBJ

kester99
06-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Just saw this, and didn't see it on PD anywhere...

They cover a lot of topics. The interview was conducted prior to the draft. It's a fairly long interview, but I did extract one comment, below.

Coming off the bench
Herb Simon takes charge, says family is committed to Pacers
Sat. June 28 - 2008

Anthony Schoettle - aschoettle@ibj.com

http://www.ibj.com/html/detail_page.asp?content=16547

(follow link above for body of interview)

Do you envision any scenario under which the Pacers would relocate to another market?

Simon: Well, there is no thought, plan or concept at this time that would provide for that. I feel, within whatever power I have, that the reason I’ve really taken back my involvement in this team is because I want to keep it in the city, and it was going in the direction where it was almost impossible to have it here. So I’m here in this room to make sure that this team becomes viable so that we can stay in this city forever. That’s my task. That’s my challenge, and that’s what I’m here to do.

PaceBalls
06-28-2008, 08:08 PM
"the reason I’ve really taken back my involvement in this team is because I want to keep it in the city, and it was going in the direction where it was almost impossible to have it here."

Wow, that is pretty scary... Please don't move my Pacers...

I don't think I realized how much Ron Artest has really destroyed this franchise until I read that. If they move this team it will be complete.

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 08:31 PM
I think that attendance will be up a lot this year. This team will be a lot more fun to watch. The owners really probably dug themselves a pretty big hole financially early in the decade by spending freely to try to win now...which obviously backfired. IIRC, early in the decade we were pretty consistently at the very top of payroll in the NBA.

NuffSaid
06-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I think that attendance will be up a lot this year. This team will be a lot more fun to watch. The owners really probably dug themselves a pretty big hole financially early in the decade by spending freely to try to win now...which obviously backfired. IIRC, early in the decade we were pretty consistently at the very top of payroll in the NBA.
I don't think that was the case as much as it was as Donnie Walsh put it after the Artest fiasco, "We fell in love with talent."

Consider all the bloated, multi-year contracts the Pacers have had since the 1999-2000 season: Croshere, JO, Tinsley and even re-signing Reggie for what many believed at the time was excessive. The one player that got away because TPTB refused to pay him more than what they felt he was worth was Brad Miller. Of all the players mentioned, however, only three were All-Stars (JO, Reggie & Brad). But if memory serves me correctly only one became an All-Star after he signed his contract - JO. (And to be fair, Reggie had already proven himself, so excluding him really doesn't count.)

Plus, when you factor in the success the Pacers have had in any given season since 2000, it's not hard to conclude they really didn't assemble an team to be reckoned with until 2003-2004, the year they won 61 games and lost the ECF to the Pistons. Since then, it's been more circumstance rather than the lack of talent that, IMO, has cost this team so dearly in competitiveness and image. It had nothing to do with finances. That doesn't come into play until you start trying to make significant roster changes which Bird has apparently decided is the best course of action to turn this team around. Here's hoping he can get 'er done! I'm ready to see Pacers basketball at it's best again. Conseco Fieldhouse deserves better.

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 09:12 PM
My point was just that the owners committed themselves to a lot of huge salaries, so there really was no cushion for them financially when the bottom fell out.

Oneal07
06-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Wow. . .Yeah, KEep the Pacers in Indiana. I can't see them moving any where else and feelin' the same about them

Will Galen
06-29-2008, 03:44 AM
I don't care about you guys, I'm all for moving them to Tampa! (snort)

Tom White
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
"the reason Iíve really taken back my involvement in this team is because I want to keep it in the city, and it was going in the direction where it was almost impossible to have it here."

Wow, that is pretty scary... Please don't move my Pacers...

I don't think I realized how much Ron Artest has really destroyed this franchise until I read that. If they move this team it will be complete.

I know what you are saying, but let's not put it all on Artest. There are a number of others to share the blame. If you look at the ticket numbers, the greatest loses were after Ron was already gone. Hard to blame him for that.

pacerwaala
06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
The one player that got away because TPTB refused to pay him more than what they felt he was worth was Brad Miller.

And there went the championship. Damn!

LONG THREAD ALERT! LONG THREAD ALERT!

YoSoyIndy
06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
And there went the championship. Damn!

LONG THREAD ALERT! LONG THREAD ALERT!

Let me help extend it.

Brad Miller was paid too much.

You can only judge the decision based on the information available at the time, and one big problem with Brad Miller was (and is) his conditioning and extra-curricular activities, which led (and continue to lead) to him missing significant games each season.

I would obviously rather have Miller than a Troy Murphy, but those arguments are irrelevant. Miller's price tag was way too high for a guy w/ his own set of issues.

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I find it hard to believe this isn't getting more play. Maybe Draft fever cause a lot of people to miss it?

But, to repeat Boggan's original post, the team's owner said:

I’ve really taken back my involvement in this team is because I want to keep it in the city, and it was going in the direction where it was almost impossible to have it here.

After all the speculation (joking?) of possible Vegas or OKC moves, the owner pretty much said that that reality wasn't that far off. That's pretty huge. And really goes to show how bad the PR nightmare and waning attendance made things.

I actually may still be a Pacers fan if they moved, but for most everyone else who lives in the state...I mean, WOW, this is a pretty monumental statement from the owner, no?

Bball
06-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I find it hard to believe this isn't getting more play. Maybe Draft fever cause a lot of people to miss it?

But, to repeat Boggan's original post, the team's owner said:

After all the speculation (joking?) of possible Vegas or OKC moves, the owner pretty much said that that reality wasn't that far off. That's pretty huge. And really goes to show how bad the PR nightmare and waning attendance made things.

I actually may still be a Pacers fan if they moved, but for most everyone else who lives in the state...I mean, WOW, this is a pretty monumental statement from the owner, no?

Jay,
I was standing on the PD rooftop yelling that if something wasn't changed in the current management structure that we were on a path to see the team moved... and not that far off in the future.

I think because the Simons saved the franchise once many assumed they'd ride it out no matter what... or things weren't as bad as they appeared. I know some people believed the team could be in trouble but others just didn't seem to see it. The two-headed monster wasn't getting anything accomplished and I had no faith that Walsh, even if Bird was fired, could fix it with his slow, conservative, extra-patient hand (plus I believe he was out of touch anyway). The momentum was building too fast for that.

So I read that line as validation of what I was trying to say about the danger of the team leaving town, and I also see some validation to what I was saying about management/ownership needing a completely different mode of operation and a new view of the situation (considering the restructuring we've seen and a vastly different off-season attack).

But I've just been hesitant to say anything and go down that path just to hear I'm making something out of nothing. But since you've brought up the point at hand (owner said the team was on a path to leave Indy) perhaps this should get more discussion.

-Bball

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Another key line from Herb:

IBJ: Forbes magazine published that the Pacers lost $1.3 million last year on $107 million in revenue. Are those figures correct?

Simon: They’re absolutely not correct.

IBJ: And what’s wrong with those figures?

Simon: Well, first of all, both numbers are wrong. That’s the bottom-line answer.

IBJ: I assume they’re a low estimate on the loss, and high on the revenue figure?

Simon: Right. That would be the way to summarize it.

IBJ: Do you feel like the Pacers can return to profitability on their own?

Simon: We face the challenge of a small market. We always will. But we’ve been profitable before and we hope to be profitable again.

Also pretty disturbing. This means they've been losing multiple millions per year. And if they're pulling in less than $107 million and paying out $67 millino in player salaries alone...there really can't even be much profit to be made until they significantly increase revenue.

Troubling trends. These guys aren't Paul Allen.

QuickRelease
06-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I think this also signals a return to fiscal responsibility. You probably won't see the Pacers dropping max money to try to get players like Rashard Lewis for example. There are few players worth dropping that kind of money for; players which would cripple a franchise by their departure. We currently have none of those. Even Danny, as much as I love him, I would be hesitant to drastically overpay him to keep him.