PDA

View Full Version : The "I can't let it go" Thread

owl
06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Please put all comments on the fact that Bird traded away Bayless right here.
Or if you have something else you just can't let go of put that here also.

Frankly I am still a little bitter over LJ's 5 point play that cost the Pacers a
championship. I believe that is a bigger deal than not keeping Bayless.

This should be cathartic for all of us.

:-)

idioteque
06-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I am pissed that Donnie Walsh let IT draft Freddie Jones when we could have had Tayshaun Prince. Maybe it wouldn't have made a huge difference, but it could have had a huge impact on recent history.

hoopsforlife
06-28-2008, 04:17 PM
OK

Here is mine. When J Bayless's name was called Wednesday night by Stern, I was expecting him to say "with the number 11 pick the Pacers take Jeryd Bayless. I have issued a 3 game suspension because I can."

Also, I still think we should have traded JO when we let RA go.

deep breath...I'm OK now.

colts19
06-28-2008, 04:40 PM
I can't let go of the fact the pacers didn't draft larry bird in 1978. I live in terre haute and saw all of his college home games and knew he was the best player in the world after his first college game.

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't try to contain the rants to one thread. Have a good day!

grace
06-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Here's my idea. (I'm sure it will met with open arms.) Rant elsewhere for 24 hours and then if you're still not over it bring it here. Just a thought.

PR07
06-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I can't let it go that we continuously trotted Jamaal Tinsley out as a starter the past 3 seasons.

Doug in CO
06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Scott Haskin

Do I really need to explain?

ABADays
06-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I can't let go of the fact the pacers didn't draft larry bird in 1978. I live in terre haute and saw all of his college home games and knew he was the best player in the world after his first college game.

The fact is Indiana would never have been able to sign him. They were not in the financial position to compete with NBA money.

The Brawl is something I will never get over. It ruined a possible championship. Artest will always be the sign of the Devil to me.

Peck
06-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I will never get over the fact that we extended Jon Benders contract which directly let to another thing I will never get over. Tradeing, yes it was a trade, Brad Miller for Scott Pollard.

I will also never ever get over the fact that instead of trading for Charles Barkley (who actually wanted to come here) I had to set through a Donnie Walsh pie chart lecture about why it was more valuable to pay Rik Smits.

Believe me, I have more but I am in just to damn good of a mood to dwell on this now.

I'll be back.
http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/kaiaxford/WindowsLiveWriter/Imbaaaaack_D1AE/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-The-Terminator_thumb.jpg

count55
06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
The fact is Indiana would never have been able to sign him. They were not in the financial position to compete with NBA money.

The Brawl is something I will never get over. It ruined a possible championship. Artest will always be the sign of the Devil to me.

We were in the NBA at the time.

DrBadd01
06-28-2008, 05:20 PM
I will never get over the fact that we extended Jon Benders contract which directly let to another thing I will never get over. Tradeing, yes it was a trade, Brad Miller for Scott Pollard.

I will also never ever get over the fact that instead of trading for Charles Barkley (who actually wanted to come here) I had to set through a Donnie Walsh pie chart lecture about why it was more valuable to pay Rik Smits.

Believe me, I have more but I am in just to damn good of a mood to dwell on this now.

I'll be back.
http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/kaiaxford/WindowsLiveWriter/Imbaaaaack_D1AE/Arnold-Schwarzenegger-The-Terminator_thumb.jpg

Wait. . . Barkely WANTED to come here. . . . . . When was this?

Wu-Gambino
06-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Picking Fred Jones over Tayshaun Prince (and of course Prince's block in the ECF) Ugh.

Jose Slaughter
06-28-2008, 05:44 PM
****!

I'm married. I carry that with me even during the off season.

Coop
06-28-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm only 18 so I don't remember a lot of things like LJ's 4 point play, Bird's draft, and Barkley wanting to come here.

A couple things that have left be bitter though...

- Tayshaun's block on Reggie

- The Brawl

- Waiting for Jamaal to get his **** together

- The lack of change up until this point for the past 3 years.

- Kelvin Sampson being a complete and total jackass while ruining the Indiana basketball program.

- Losing Coach Hep. He would have done some special things at IU

That's it for now...I'm sure I'll remember something else later.

Hicks
06-28-2008, 06:45 PM
John Green. Enough said?

Indianapolis_girly
06-28-2008, 06:50 PM
I would say some things, but HeartlandFan was reading my mind.
I agree with everything he put. :)

owl
06-28-2008, 06:51 PM

I don't have that power nor would I confine it if I could.
Feel free to rant anywhere you want.
This thread is for people to vent.

owl
06-28-2008, 06:56 PM

I'll be back.

This maybe one of the great mistakes made by Walsh. I wonder if Brad would have been
around that maybe the brawl does not happen and Oneal does not break down.
Miller might have been the glue to keep the team from destroying itself.

idioteque
06-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Barkley wanted to be a Pacer? Tell me more.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I can't believe Reggie went up for the soft layup in a decisive possession, especially when he looked back and saw Tay coming like a freight train.

DgR
06-28-2008, 07:58 PM
i cant believe that cup hit artest in the face

idioteque
06-28-2008, 08:07 PM
i cant believe that cup hit artest in the face

No kidding. When you think about it, jeez, what were the chances?

Los Angeles
06-28-2008, 08:12 PM
the brawl. The most embarrassing and devastating event to ever happen in my lifetime as a sports fan.

I will never forget.

Justin Tyme
06-28-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm upset that the Pacers traded Harrington for Jackson.
I'm upset that the Pacers traded Artest for Peja.
I'm upset that he Pacers traded the 7.5 mil TE from the Peja S&T for Harrington.
I'm upset the Pacers traded away Cro's expiring for Quis.
I'm upset that the Pacers traded away the 07 #11 pick.
I'm upset that the Pacers made the GS trade.
I'm upset that the Pacers didn't trade JO and Tinsley 2 years ago.
I'm upset that Artest caused the Pacers so many problems.
I'm upset that Tinsley has caused the Pacers to many problems.
I'm upset that Bird didn't squeeze another draft pick out of Portland.
I'm upset that the 2 headed monster was ever allowed to be.
I'm upset b/c Bird looks like he buys his clothes at Goodwill. Get a tie Larry!
I'm upset b/c gas is $4 a gal.
I'm upset that food prices are so high.
I'm upset that the world has gone to hell in a handbag.
I'm upset b/c I ate too much at a party this afternoon.
I'm upset that the car is having a problem starting.
I'm upset my spouse has the most dysfunctional family in the WORLD!
I'm upset b/c Owl didn't start this thread earlier.
I'm upset just b/c I can't think of anything else to be upset about.

Whtwudusay
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Scott Haskin

:amen:

BoomBaby31
06-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm only 18 so I don't remember a lot of things like LJ's 4 point play, Bird's draft, and Barkley wanting to come here.

Never saw the LJ 4 point play? Youtube it, I won't do this thread a disservice by embedding or posting it. lol well heres a link anyway
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XP7l592SrXI

2minutes twowa
06-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Just a few...

- LJ's "4 point play"

- Being just a few offensive rebounds from beating Jordan's Bulls which would have almost definitely led to our first NBA Championship.

- I love Conseco, but I wish we could have brought the deafening noise from MSA with us.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2008, 12:04 AM
-the high cost to join the NBA (no TV money for years)
-trading young Alex English for old Big Mac
-drafting Rick Robey instead of Larry Bird
-Tom Owens (trade) for draft pick (Michael Jordan? Sam Bowie?)
-4 point play
-4th quarter of game 7 vs. Bulls
-Overtime vs. Lakers in finals after Shaq had fouled out
-Giving Bender a second contract
-Keeping Artest too long
-reacquiring Al Harrington
-not dealing Stephen Jackson earlier, in the offseason

Cobol Sam
06-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

pizza guy
06-29-2008, 12:49 AM
The 4 pt. play

Losing to Chi in the playoffs after beating them in the regular season.

Losing to LA.

Bird quit coaching too soon.

Zeke ever being hired by any NBA franchise.

The brawl.

Stephen Jackson's existence.

Mark Jackson not being able to play point for us forever.

Reggie retiring without a ring.

Colts "losing" to Pittsburg in '95 AFCCG.

Recognizing what Cobol Sam just said, but not being able to pinpoint the reference.

My dad still wanting Artest to be a Pacer... ;) j/k Dad ;)

--pizza

Mourning
06-29-2008, 01:58 AM

Same here.

Shade
06-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I just can't let it go. I feel Bird made a HUGE mistake by trading Bayless. I pray that I am wrong.

Taterhead
06-29-2008, 03:33 AM
Wait. . . Barkely WANTED to come here. . . . . . When was this?

When he left Pheonix for Houston. I believe PHX wanted a package involving Smits and we refused. Stupid move, IMO.

duke dynamite
06-29-2008, 03:56 AM
I regret the fact that the "Loudest 6th Man" banners were not re-hung in the Fieldhouse.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72479817.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB651D84F78FA81FBB A40A659CEC4C8CB6

Pig Nash
06-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Well it would have been a lie in the new building even if we had a packed house every game. The acoustics aren't conducive to having anywhere near the noise to MSA and it would have been disrespectful to the MSA era to deny that. Or you know, the banners wouldn't have helped anyway?

Unclebuck
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
There isnt anything I can't let go. I'm a very forgiving person. Does no good to look back

gilpdawg
06-29-2008, 11:26 AM
OK

I have issued a 3 game suspension because I can."

Are people still on that "Stern screwed us with suspensions" crap? The suspensions were fair. Let's let it go.

gilpdawg
06-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Scott Haskin

When he was a rookie, I sent about 5 or 6 basketball cards in envelopes to the Pacers to try and get signed, he was the only one who sent one back. Of course, it's not like he didn't have plenty of time to do that, what with picking splinters out of his butt from the bench. :laugh: But seriously, I always rooted for the guy after that, although it wasn't much longer until he vanished.

pacerwaala
06-29-2008, 11:50 AM
When he left Pheonix for Houston. I believe PHX wanted a package involving Smits and we refused. Stupid move, IMO.

Thank god we did not do that trade. Barkley at the end of his PHX years was almost done. It would have been good if we did it by trading for him from Philadelphia.

Remember, Barkley leaving John Stockton wide open for a three by missing a defensive switching assignment on a last second play (Hou vs Utah). I like the guy, his cooments, personality but the he was not disciplined or focussed enough to get a championship

I can't let go

1 - that 7th game against Chi. Even MJ was choking by missing FTs. The Eurotrash, oops, Eurostar Toni Kukoc has a monster 3rd quarter to keep CHI in it and we lose at the end.

2 - When Shaq fouled out, we should have double and tripled Kobe and keep him from making all those 20 footers, and getting those offensive rebounds.

3 - The TP block

4 - not signing brad miller

5 - 6th game officiating against the knicks in 99

6 - tom wilson of the palace and the spin that he put on the Pacers players and the brawl.

Hicks
06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
I regret the fact that the "Loudest 6th Man" banners were not re-hung in the Fieldhouse.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72479817.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB651D84F78FA81FBB A40A659CEC4C8CB6

That picture makes it look like MSA was literally half the size of Conseco.

Hicks
06-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I just can't let it go. I feel Bird made a HUGE mistake by trading Bayless. I pray that I am wrong.

Could be worse. You could trade a guy who's ALREADY an all-star for someone who's a career backup at the same position, and that's it! If only I had a clear example of some kind to elaborate further!

;)

Peck
06-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Could be worse. You could trade a guy who's ALREADY an all-star for someone who's a career backup at the same position, and that's it! If only I had a clear example of some kind to elaborate further!

;)

touche'!!!!!!!

Peck
06-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Thank god we did not do that trade. Barkley at the end of his PHX years was almost done. It would have been good if we did it by trading for him from Philadelphia.
Remember, Barkley leaving John Stockton wide open for a three by missing a defensive switching assignment on a last second play (Hou vs Utah). I like the guy, his cooments, personality but the he was not disciplined or focussed enough to get a championship

I can't let go

1 - that 7th game against Chi. Even MJ was choking by missing FTs. The Eurotrash, oops, Eurostar Toni Kukoc has a monster 3rd quarter to keep CHI in it and we lose at the end.

2 - When Shaq fouled out, we should have double and tripled Kobe and keep him from making all those 20 footers, and getting those offensive rebounds.

3 - The TP block

4 - not signing brad miller

5 - 6th game officiating against the knicks in 99

6 - tom wilson of the palace and the spin that he put on the Pacers players and the brawl.

The trade for Barkley (or in our case the trade that did not occur) was in 1992 when he was still with the 76ers and was on the verge of being the MVP.

The 76ers sent Charles from 76ers to the Suns for Jeff Hornacek, Andrew Lang and Tim Perry.

The 76ers wanted Rik Smits, Chuck Person and filler. Granted we would have to have given up far more than the Suns did but because Walsh was fasinated with Smits we never pulled the trigger.

I will die remembering Walsh doing his best Ross Perot immitation of charts and pie graphs trying to explain why the Paces could not make any trades based on the salary cap at the time.

As bad of a team as we were believe it or not we were always over the cap back then as well.

Anyway, can you imagine what the team might have been like.

Dale Davis, Reggie Miller, Detleph Schremph, Charles Barkley and Pooh Richardson could have been your starting five.

Shade
06-29-2008, 01:26 PM

;)

I wonder if the Blazers are still accepting fans... :sigh:

croz24
06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
unfortunately, i hope bayless is a failure now. i have NOTHING against brandon rush whatsoever. he's one of the good guys and carries himself very well. he has the chance to be a very solid player in this league. however, you just can't trade all-star talent for a solid role-player, especially when your team is STARVED for such talent.

Shade
06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
unfortunately, i hope bayless is a failure now. i have NOTHING against brandon rush whatsoever. he's one of the good guys and carries himself very well. he has the chance to be a very solid player in this league. however, you just can't trade all-star talent for a solid role-player, especially when your team is STARVED for such talent.

This is my thinking EXACTLY.

Granted, if Bayless has major attitude issues, I could see why we dealt him. But if those don't surface, it's going to be very hard to swallow for a very long time.

Trader Joe
06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
This is my thinking EXACTLY.

Granted, if Bayless has major attitude issues, I could see why we dealt him. But if those don't surface, it's going to be very hard to swallow for a very long time.

Brandon Rush is coming for that *** Santa.

Shade
06-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Brandon Rush is coming for that *** Santa.

Rush may turn out to be a better "fit" for our current system, but Bayless is a hell of a player.

Bball
06-29-2008, 02:08 PM
The trade for Barkley (or in our case the trade that did not occur) was in 1992 when he was still with the 76ers and was on the verge of being the MVP.

The 76ers sent Charles from 76ers to the Suns for Jeff Hornacek, Andrew Lang and Tim Perry.

The 76ers wanted Rik Smits, Chuck Person and filler. Granted we would have to have given up far more than the Suns did but because Walsh was fasinated with Smits we never pulled the trigger.

I will die remembering Walsh doing his best Ross Perot immitation of charts and pie graphs trying to explain why the Paces could not make any trades based on the salary cap at the time.

As bad of a team as we were believe it or not we were always over the cap back then as well.

Anyway, can you imagine what the team might have been like.

Dale Davis, Reggie Miller, Detleph Schremph, Charles Barkley and Pooh Richardson could have been your starting five.

I don't remember the timing but don't forget Reggie and Charles were pals and Charles openly wanted to be a Pacer. I'm sure someone was already about to tell you there was no way Barkley would accept coming to the small-market Pacers.

Peck
06-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Actually in in post game tirade he had, when he wanted to be traded, Indiana was one of the three teams he mentioned. Chicago and Phoenix being the other two, if I recall correctly.

Shade
06-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm still sad we didn't get Barkley. He was one of my favorite players and I remember it being a very real possibility that he could end up a Pacer. He did want to be here.

Kegboy
06-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I wonder if the Blazers are still accepting fans... :sigh:

They have 427 season tickets left.

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Rose_Garden_Arena_Capacity_19-275973-1218.html

Hicks
06-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Rush may turn out to be a better "fit" for our current system, but Bayless is a hell of a player.

Don't forget on top of Rush being a good pick himself, we also got a good backup PG out of it as well. Ike wasn't doing anything here.

owl
06-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Don't forget on top of Rush being a good pick himself, we also got a good backup PG out of it as well. Ike wasn't doing anything here.

Details, details.

DeS
06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Never saw the LJ 4 point play? Youtube it, I won't do this thread a disservice by embedding or posting it. lol well heres a link anyway
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XP7l592SrXI

It was a great play, but... it was clearly a travel.

Hicks
06-29-2008, 06:04 PM
He got fouled, then dribbled, then shot. Should have been on the floor, and if in the penalty, just two free throws.

croz24
06-29-2008, 06:13 PM
i can't let go of the fact that the entire pacers team gave up on reggie miller in his last game as a pacer. reggie was the ONLY pacer who showed any sort of heart that game, and jermaine and company just played dead. reggie deserved much better than the "teammates" he had his last few years here.

ABADays
06-29-2008, 07:06 PM
It was a great play, but... it was clearly a travel.

It was one of the most ridiculous calls in NBA history.