PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix and Portland both tried for Ford

indygeezer
06-28-2008, 08:45 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53244/20080627/suns_and_blazers_nearly_landed_ford/

Jun 27, 2008 4:53 PM EST
Both Phoenix and Portland were looking to acquire T.J. Ford from the Raptors before Bryan Colangelo took an offer that included Jermaine O'Neal from Indiana, according to The Toronto Star.

The Raptors also reportedly had a deal on the table that would have sent Ford to Charlotte for swingman Gerald Wallace, but the Bobcats refused to add a second rounder to sweeten the deal.

owl
06-28-2008, 09:19 AM
The Pacers have taken the team from last year and added two point guards who are better
than any they currently have and added a true center and shooting guard.
Yet, we have people on this board beside themselves because the Pacers did not keep
another combo guard. JO and Tinsley contributed very little to last years record so
I see a better year ahead. The fact two other teams were after Ford makes you suspect
he might be a pretty good player. Plus Bird and Morway are not done yet.

Possible starting five...

Hibbert
Murphy
Granger
Rush
Ford

Second five

Nesterovic
Foster
Dunleavy
Jack
Daniels

Reserves

Baston
Diener
Graham

TheDon
06-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Hibbert
Murphy
Granger
Rush
Ford

Second five

Nesterovic
Foster
Dunleavy
Jack
Daniels

Reserves

Baston
Diener
Graham

The thing I like best about these projected starting lineups people are coming out with, is Tinsley is nowhere to be found. I can't wait till we boot his *** out the door and we all know it's coming. In some regards it's a shame such talent is going to waste but he has nobody to blame but himself. If we can somehow acquire something of value (I doubt it) on someone who is willing to take a chance without taking a hit ourselves that will just be an added bonus.

dewman_32
06-28-2008, 11:08 AM
The Pacers have taken the team from last year and added two point guards who are better
than any they currently have and added a true center and shooting guard.
Yet, we have people on this board beside themselves because the Pacers did not keep
another combo guard. JO and Tinsley contributed very little to last years record so
I see a better year ahead. The fact two other teams were after Ford makes you suspect
he might be a pretty good player. Plus Bird and Morway are not done yet.

Hibbert
Murphy
Granger
Rush
Ford

Second five

Nesterovic
Foster
Dunleavy
Jack
Daniels

Reserves

Baston
Diener
Graham
How on earth do you not have Dunleavy in the starting 5? I'm pretty sure he'd start before Rush or Hibbert would.

owl
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
How on earth do you not have Dunleavy in the starting 5? I'm pretty sure he'd start before Rush or Hibbert would.

Maybe as a starter or as the offensive punch off the bench as the 6th man.
It really depends on how you want to set up your team.

Coop
06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Rush isn't going to start coming out of the gate. I doubt he starts all year actually. Also, Hibbert might be able to earn a starting spot by the end of the year if he overachieves, but he's not starting quality right now.

Ford
Dunleavy
Granger
Troy
Rasho

2nd team:

Jack
Rush
Shawne
Foster
Hibbert

As of now, the big man rotation is going to be tricky. You can't play Troy and Hibbert together because that would be terrible defensively and on the boards. You also can't play Rasho and Foster together because neither would provide enough offense. We'll most likely have to keep it as Foster/Hibbert together and Troy/Rasho together to keep a balanced line up.

Pig Nash
06-28-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be

Ford/Jack
Dun/Rush
DG/Rush
Foster/Murphy
Hibbert/Rasho

by the middle of the season.

Hicks
06-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Our second team looks so much better.

Trader Joe
06-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Our second team looks so much better.

No kidding. Our bench is 100X better just by adding Rush and Jack.

Major Cold
06-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be

Ford/Jack
Dun/Rush
DG/Rush
Foster/Murphy
Hibbert/Rasho

by the middle of the season.

This is what I think happens. Foster is going to play PF for now on. I would not be surprised if Jack and Ford split minutes to start. Dunleavy will start all season, but we will see Rush coming in to slow down the other teams perimeter. Look for Rush to have a McKey type role on this team.

Hibbert is gonna have to show he can rebound. i know his numbers do not reflect his talent because of Georgetown's offense, but we need a force down there. This is Granger's year for sure. He has a chance to be a 20/8 guy with Hibbert at Center

ABADays
06-28-2008, 01:09 PM
The thing I like best about these projected starting lineups people are coming out with, is Tinsley is nowhere to be found. I can't wait till we boot his *** out the door and we all know it's coming. In some regards it's a shame such talent is going to waste but he has nobody to blame but himself. If we can somehow acquire something of value (I doubt it) on someone who is willing to take a chance without taking a hit ourselves that will just be an added bonus.

It's just too bad Tinsley is going to take 20+ million with him. That really bites me.

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Ford
Dunleavy
Granger
Troy
Rasho

2nd team:

Jack
Rush
Shawne
Foster
Hibbert

Barring other major moves, I think this is correct.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 02:25 PM

So Granger is the PF then?

Well at least he will just get bullied in the post instead of blown by every possesion :devil:

Slick Pinkham
06-28-2008, 10:59 PM
If we are going to be a running team, why not commit to small-ball?

PG TJ
SG Rush if he is ready
SF Dunleavy
PF Granger
C Foster (must have the best rebounder with this group)

backup PG Jack
backup SG Quis
backup SF Shawne
backup PF Murphy
backup C Rasho or Hibbert

In case of emergency:
Baston
Diener
Graham
McRoberts
#15- whomever we get after Tins is sent packing

oops... I guess that is really 16.

maybe Jamaal will just get bought out.

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 11:17 PM
I like that starting 5, but I doubt it works. IMO, small ball works in a small number of situations in the NBA. Against some opponents in particular. The top half of the league makes the small man pay dearly....

Hicks
06-28-2008, 11:29 PM
We can certainly go small if we need to, but I don't know about making that our normal choice.

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 11:48 PM
I like this starting five.

Ford
Dunleavy
Granger
Foster
Hibbert

The reason I like this is that Hibbert is old school and will block his man off the boards. This leaves Foster to clean the glass...competing typically against a smaller player. I really think this will help Jeff quite a bit. He has grown accustomed to competing against the bigger centers and will no longer need to do that if Hibbert pans out.

Edit: Another couple points. Dun and Murphy seem to have the same type of games....Dun is the better player and perimeter threat so he starts....this group also gives us a potential post threat....and the best rebounder on the team.

Plax80
06-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Barring other major moves, I think this is correct.

Why is everyone so down on Daniels ??

I know he makes too much money for a backup player, but as backup SG go.......I think he brings a lot of energy, ability to create for himself and others, aggressive defense, and occassionly knocks down the outside shot.

If he had a 3 yr $10mm contract and could manage to avoid bars after midnight, I'd say he was a solid part of the teams foundation.

Anthem
06-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Ok, Portland makes sense. But why would Pheonix want Ford? Were they just trying to get rid of Diaw's contract, or what?

imawhat
06-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I think we'll end up seeing:

Ford
Dunleavy
Granger
Murphy
Nesterovic

O'Brien likes to go with the "best" players.

I'd prefer to see

Ford
Rush
Granger
Murphy
Nesterovic/Hibbert

Swapping Rush and Dunleavy is a win-win. It improves our starting defense which is sorely needed, and provides a huge lift offensively off the bench. Plus, Rush is a great team-offense player.

I put Nesterovic in the starting lineup because I'm unsure of Hibbert's defense, but I think we'll sorely lack rebounding with him and Murphy in the starting lineup.

I don't think we're done dealing. We may acquire a starting PF and move Troy to C.

JayRedd
06-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Why is everyone so down on Daniels ??

My main reason is cause he's a pretty poor basketball player.

Pig Nash
06-29-2008, 01:02 AM
I think Pheonix is trying to move barbosa and wants a back up for Nash?

The Unknown
07-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Ok, Portland makes sense. But why would Pheonix want Ford? Were they just trying to get rid of Diaw's contract, or what?

Nash is 34 and Barbosa is about as much a point guard as Marquis Daniels. Both Pritchard and Kerr know Ford has the talent level to be a huge coop, and at just 25 is a long-term solution, but thankfully he's about to be wearing blue and gold.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-01-2008, 09:37 AM
I also heard the Suns would consider sitting Nash out some games to keep him fresh. They were looking for a veteran point guard to run the team those games. I think they're targeting Tyronne Lue now.