PDA

View Full Version : Bayless: I'll Show The NBA

kbunch
06-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Bayless: I'll Show The NBA (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53250/20080628/bayless_ill_show_the_nba/)

Jun 28, 2008 3:05 AM EST
Jerryd Bayless was projected to be drafted as high as fourth overall before free falling to position 11, taken by Indiana. He did not remain there, however, with Indiana agreeing to package him with Ike Diogu to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for the rights to Brandon Rush, selected 13th, Jarett Jack and Josh McRoberts.
Bayless, however, is going to go out and try to prove the 10 teams who passed over him in the draft wrong, according to the Arizona Republic.
"I think they are crazy," Bayless said when asked what he would say to people who don't think he can play both guard spots. "That's what I think."
"I have 10 teams to prove wrong now," Bayless told ESPN radio. "I'm going to definitely go out and try to do that. Hopefully everything works out."
Via Arizona Republic (http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53250/20080628/bayless_ill_show_the_nba/#)

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53250/20080628/bayless_ill_show_the_nba/

Anyone else see this as something they really hate to hear?

Trader Joe
06-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Only ten? He must think the trade was a fair deal then.

granger33
06-28-2008, 04:01 AM
He defiently has attitude problems.

I now see why O'Brien apparently doesn't like him.

deekay85
06-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Now, we can see the real face of Bayless!

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Ok, I feel much better now. The lone issue with him was his head. That was my single concern and he has made it crystal clear.

In fact, I am so glad we don't have him it's not even funny. This sounds like something one of our JO era players would say.

Mourning
06-28-2008, 07:20 AM

Caron Butler and Paul Pierce must have attitude problems too I guess :rolleyes:.

I would be worried if a player that on virtually every mockdraft board was placed between 3-5 and then got picked 11 and subsequently dealt to 13 would just be happy about it...

He wants to prove people wrong about what he can do. Nothing wrong with that i.o. I think you are definitely reaching here.

indygeezer
06-28-2008, 07:29 AM
Gotta agree with Mourning here. Players used to say these same words and it was considered a good thing to hear. Now, it's just not PC.

Erik
06-28-2008, 07:42 AM
i'm glad we're not on his bad side:rolleyes:

underwave
06-28-2008, 07:42 AM
wow. some of the guys here really don't see the big picture. is being competitive a wrong thing? I know he's no rose, duncan like person(calm and mute) but still that doesn't make him a bad peronal guy.

OpenWheel
06-28-2008, 07:55 AM
If Bayless was on the Pacers and said the same thing, or if Rush says it. We'd see these :dance::dance::dance:

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 08:02 AM
If there had not already been questions about his character going into the draft, this statement would not have meant anything. It still might mean nothing.

However, it sounds all too familiar. It sounds like something a selfish, immature player would be *more likely* to say than an unselfish, mature player. I have grown tired of the years of hearing these prima donnas spout off about how great they are. We have had a number of them in recent years. What is far more desirable is a guy who will use this as motivation without running off at the mouth. Prove it on the court because talk is very, very cheap (btw, see Jermaine O'Neal).

Again, it doesn't mean the guy is a cancer. It's just a turn-off IMO. It's just less attractive than someone showing some humility.

Mourning
06-28-2008, 08:57 AM
There were questions about Caron Butler and his attitude and where he came from aswell. He said exactly the samething, maybe even a little more peppered. I think he turned out pretty good (talent and characterwise).

Major Cold
06-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Well he has another thing in common with Arenas. Maybe he can break up the chemistry of the Blazers like Arenas did with the Wiz.

Justin Tyme
06-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Caron Butler and Paul Pierce must have attitude problems too I guess :rolleyes:.

I would be worried if a player that on virtually every mockdraft board was placed between 3-5 and then got picked 11 and subsequently dealt to 13 would just be happy about it...

He wants to prove people wrong about what he can do. Nothing wrong with that i.o. I think you are definitely reaching here.

I totally agree. I'm sure Granger felt the same about the 16 teams that passed him by, he just didn't voice it to the media.

If he does do it, Anthem is never going to get over trading him!

Anthem
06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
If he does do it, Anthem is never going to get over trading him!
Emotionally, I'm over it. It helps that I like Rush and Jack. I probably won't ever think that it was a good trade, but I'm no longer upset about it.

Unclebuck
06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I hestitate to mention this, because it isn't that big of a deal. But when Bayliss was drafted he looked unhappy, when he was interviewed during the draft he looked unhappy, when he was traded he looked unhapy, when he was interviewed again he looked unhappy.

Sure he might have been upset he wasn't drafted earlier, but still he looked lke he was too cool for school, like this whole NBA and drafting thing is beneath him, he looked almost too cool.

Somehting about his whole demeanor during the draft I didn't like.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I hestitate to mention this, because it isn't that big of a deal. But when Bayliss was drafted he looked unhappy, when he was interviewed during the draft he looked unhappy, when he was traded he looked unhapy, when he was interviewed again he looked unhappy.

Sure he might have been upset he wasn't drafted earlier, but still he looked lke he was too cool for school, like this whole NBA and drafting thing is beneath him, he looked almost too cool.

Fair enough. And I'm not saying Bayless is a charmer. But if he (or any other player) keeps his nose clean and plays his heart out on the court, I'll not complain about their personality.

Anyway, I attribute the whole thing to the kid being disappointed that he was picked last in the playground game. I wouldn't read anything forward about his ability to play in the NBA.

count55
06-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Good for him...I don't see what the fuss is about these comments. I agree with those who say this is an appropriate attitude for someone who fell to have.

I also agree with Buck's sentiments in that I didn't find him a particularly likeable cat. However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with him at 11.

I can see both sides of the trade issue, so I don't see any reason to either villify or glorify Bayless.

idioteque
06-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Q: Theres been some questions about your ability to work and how hard that youre willing to work. When you entered the draft, your coach from Colorado said you stopped working. What do you have to say? How can you defend that?

Harrison: Im just going to show them. I mean they might have a valid case about the past, but that was the past and now I am just pressing forward to the future.

Carlisle: Its interesting that you asked that question because he has answered those a little bit. And weve gone to the trouble of taking some of his quotations and Ill read a couple of them to you:
My work ethic has been questioned, but I am going to come in there and show them I am the hardest working player they have ever drafted. Harrison

Were going to put these up in his locker.

Second one:
I am going to have six, seven months to answer all these questions and believe me, I am going to have a lot of answers for people. Ive got a 28 player chip on my shoulder. Harrison

Thats the second one and the third one is: I want to be an All-Star within my first contract. I want to start my rookie year. I want to make the All-Rookie Team. So I definitely have lofty goals and Ill have to work hard to get there. Harrison

Carlisle: Hes gone on record with a lot of things and we are going to keep reminding him of that. So you dont need to bring up things that hes already said.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/harrison_transcript_040628.html

:rolleyes:

Anyone can talk.

avoidingtheclowns
06-28-2008, 09:43 AM
i asked this in another thread but didn't really get a response so i'll re-post here:

if bayless is such a malcontent, why in the world does portland want anything to do with him? they've cleaned house of those types in the last two years (randolph, francis, miles) for good character people to finally exorcise their jailblazer past.

so why would they take on a problem like Bayless? are they blinded by talent or do they see something 11 other teams didn't?

idioteque
06-28-2008, 09:47 AM
i asked this in another thread but didn't really get a response so i'll re-post here:

if bayless is such a malcontent, why in the world does portland want anything to do with him? they've cleaned house of those types in the last two years (randolph, francis, miles) for good character people to finally exorcise their jailblazer past.

so why would they take on a problem like Bayless? are they blinded by talent or do they see something 11 other teams didn't?

I don't know if Bayless is a malcontent. I don't know him personally and really, no one knows for sure why he dropped.

Portland has loaded their roster with milk drinkers (I mean that in the best way possible) and there are really no bad attitudes left on that team (except I think Miles is still on the roster, IDK though). Bayless is just a kid and still very impressionable. They probably think he'll mature very quickly if he is placed into Portland's new vibrant, and so far successful, basketball culture. If that doesn't appear to be working I'm sure Pritch will realize that a year before everyone else and ship him out for a better player. Even without Bayless that team has an awesome core and could win it all in a couple of years. Bayless just makes things sweeter, but even if they have to let him go for next to nothing, they've still got an awesome team. It's not high risk for them.

So, if he really slipped because of his attitude, that would be my reasoning of why Portland found him okay.

NapTonius Monk
06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Only ten? He must think the trade was a fair deal then.

The deal was pre-arranged. This wasn't a matter of Indy not wanting Bayless. We were picking for Portland in a pre-arranged deal.

count55
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Well, a couple of things:

I don't think he's a malcontent...He just didn't strike me as particularly likeable. It's a personal observation that has little to do with how he gets along in Portland. Hell, Ron Artest was likeable, so what's that tell you?

It could that if there is an actual "attitude" issue, for lack of a better word, that it's relatively minor and, though it might be problematic on a team where Bayless would play a primary role, it is not a huge risk in Portland with Roy, Oden & Aldridge, nor was their investment prohibitive.

I believe that if the Pacers were not actually interested in Bayless, it is more likely because they were concerned that he'd struggle to find a position in the NBA where he could star, as opposed to any perceived (or fictitious) attitude or character issues.

Placebo
06-28-2008, 10:31 AM
here is the video of the interview
He is clearly not happy to be drafted by Pacers at that moment IMO.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/08draft_bayless_j_080626.asx

kellogg
06-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Q: Theres been some questions about your ability to work and how hard that youre willing to work. When you entered the draft, your coach from Colorado said you stopped working. What do you have to say? How can you defend that?

Harrison: Im just going to show them. I mean they might have a valid case about the past, but that was the past and now I am just pressing forward to the future.

Carlisle: Its interesting that you asked that question because he has answered those a little bit. And weve gone to the trouble of taking some of his quotations and Ill read a couple of them to you:
My work ethic has been questioned, but I am going to come in there and show them I am the hardest working player they have ever drafted. Harrison

Were going to put these up in his locker.

Second one:
I am going to have six, seven months to answer all these questions and believe me, I am going to have a lot of answers for people. Ive got a 28 player chip on my shoulder. Harrison

Thats the second one and the third one is: I want to be an All-Star within my first contract. I want to start my rookie year. I want to make the All-Rookie Team. So I definitely have lofty goals and Ill have to work hard to get there. Harrison

Carlisle: Hes gone on record with a lot of things and we are going to keep reminding him of that. So you dont need to bring up things that hes already said.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/harrison_transcript_040628.html

:rolleyes:

Anyone can talk.

I also recall Jamison Brewer yapping about how he'd show the Pacers they made a mistake in cutting him...

...talk is cheap.

pianoman
06-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Bayless is all talk. I'm glad we didn't keep him because I think he has a bad attitude and he'd probraby be going to the clubs in downtown indy and getting himself into trouble.

Shade
06-28-2008, 11:29 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53250/20080628/bayless_ill_show_the_nba/

Anyone else see this as something they really hate to hear?

He even sounds like Gilbert Arenas.

I see no problem at all with him wanting to prove his detractors wrong. I sure as hell would want to as well.

Arcadian
06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
At least he hasn't been traded from two teams because he couldn't co-exist with his backup.

Placebo
06-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I think he will take good care of himself.
Kid is full of himself but he also clearly wants to be successfull and it seems like he will do whatever it takes.

He just seems too cocky and selfish.
I am glad we traded him, otherwise he would have been a problem here.
He just doesn't fit to our new direction.
Portland might be in trouble in terms of new chemistry.
He clearly wants to be "the" star, he will have hard time to do so in Portland...

PaceBalls
06-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah good greif, god forbid a kid shows some pride, fire, passion and desire...

idioteque
06-28-2008, 12:00 PM
If Bayless is going to be Arenas I'm glad we traded him. Even if Bayless is going to be McGrady I'm glad we traded him.

Both are good players but neither strike me as the type of superstar that will lead his team to a title.

Now, if Bayless turns out to be a real competitor like CP3 or LeBron, we have problems

BlueNGold
06-28-2008, 12:57 PM

Yes, just another piece to the puzzle. Not saying the whole picture is there at all. Just one more piece. It's just signs and symptoms at this point. No humility, just pure arrogance. But no real conclusions either.

We've all seen players with these characteristics. They typically have a higher degree chance of being a cancer...but also potential stars. Selfishness, immaturity and egotism is an ugly problem in the NBA...but Kobi fits those words pretty well and he has a few rings. For most fans, it's hard to root for guys like that...and for me I'd rather see a guy like Garnett win. LOL.

Again, no conclusions here but to avoid the signs and symptoms are something Pacer management and the fans have ignored in the past. They are clearly not ignoring them now regardless of when this trade was consummated.

Oh, and the fact Harrison, Granger and Bayless dropped and Granger was capable of a bit of humility should tell y'all quite a bit.

ABADays
06-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Was he wearing a Tinsley mask? :p

denyfizle
06-28-2008, 01:07 PM

uh huh... and you weren't bothered by Rush saying now was a good time for him to slap the faces of people who doubted him in the past. :hmm:

Pig Nash
06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
I haven't read this thread, but I imagine it went like this:

People who like the trade say, "See, Bayless will be a cancer and I am glad we got rid of him."

People who hate the trade say, "No, he's just driven to prove people wrong, we could use that on this team."

"Nuh uh"

"Yuh huh"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

travmil
06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't think it's a big deal what he said but it does show a lack of tact at best and a lack of maturity at worst. Given that the Pacers are trying to shift away from immature and selfish players I have no problem at all with them not having him.

Pacemaker
06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
True. But I still prefer Rush's quote : " I want to be the next Reggie Miller."

I haven't read this thread, but I imagine it went li. ke this:

People who like the trade say, "See, Bayless will be a cancer and I am glad we got rid of him."

People who hate the trade say, "No, he's just driven to prove people wrong, we could use that on this team."

"Nuh uh"

"Yuh huh"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-28-2008, 01:32 PM
if jordan said that then no one would complain...it's disappointing he isn't going to be a pacer...hopefully brandon rush will be awesome as hell.

Pig Nash
06-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Mark it!

Someone actually compared Bayless to Michael Jordan.

count55
06-28-2008, 01:43 PM

"Nuh uh"

"Yuh huh"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

I wonder if this would be a little too on-the-nose for people to vote for as post of the year.

Ownagedood
06-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Lol why are so many of you acting like this is a bad attitude?? He knows he is better than how he was treated and he wants to prove it to them through his game.. That's an excellent attitude.. I don't know why you guys think its bad.. He has the attitude of a star.

He probably wouldn't have fit in.. But its not as bad of an attitude as you guys are making it out to be.

Indianapolis_girly
06-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Ahh let him talk.
Now we gotta see if he can back it up.
like someone else said, Danny probably wasen't happy that so many people looked over him.
These days he's proving those people wrong with the way he's playing.

I haven't met one Pacers fan who DOESN'T like Danny.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I haven't met one Pacers fan who DOESN'T like Danny.

I know at least 3 season ticket holders who don't. But hey who really likes hitting layups and playing D.

crunk-juice
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
thank god we traded this punk.

Trader Joe
06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Are people seriously calling him a punk for saying this?

I liked the trade, and I have ZERO problem with him saying this. IIRC, there was an article when we played the Magic this year about how Granger likes to play especially well against the teams that passed on him.

grace
06-28-2008, 02:38 PM

I wondered the same thing. Maybe Portland decided to tell him, "Look, we've had more than our share of jerks on our teams over the years. We want you here, but the first time you even give us a hint of being a Jailblazer we'll kick your butt so hard...and if it happens again we'll kick you out the door." I guess they think that will work with him.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 02:40 PM
thank god we traded this punk.

Are people seriously calling him a punk for saying this?

I liked the trade, and I have ZERO problem with him saying this. IIRC, there was an article when we played the Magic this year about how Granger likes to play especially well against the teams that passed on him.

You must be new to PD, indy.

Indianapolis_girly
06-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I know at least 3 season ticket holders who don't. But hey who really likes hitting layups and playing D.
Dang, that's hard to believe. I agree with the missing layups, that about drove me crazy last year all the ones he missed. His defense is okay, it could be better too. Nobody could say he's a bad person, he's got one heck of a personality.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Dang, that's hard to believe. I agree with the missing layups, that about drove me crazy last year all the ones he missed. His defense is okay, it could be better too. Nobody could say he's a bad person, he's got one heck of a personality.

no problems with him as a person.

Indianapolis_girly
06-28-2008, 02:51 PM
no problems with him as a person.
Okay, good :)
He does need to improve his game in some areas, I agree.
He's improved more and more in each year he's been here.
So I'm real excited to see what he'll come up with this upcoming year.
With all the new faces and everything.
The NBA offseason seems so long though. :-o

Hicks
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM

"Nuh uh"

"Yuh huh"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yep.

crunk-juice
06-28-2008, 03:17 PM
i know a punk when i see one.

and this isnt the first bad thing ive heard of him, either.

Robertmto
06-28-2008, 03:31 PM
i know a punk when i see one.

and this isnt the first bad thing ive heard of him, either.

please, enlighten us

kester99
06-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Gotta agree with Mourning here. Players used to say these same words and it was considered a good thing to hear. Now, it's just not PC.

Is that what it is? Maybe I'm too old, too....uhhh, not that you're too old geezer. What he said sounded OK to me. Like what you would want a player to say.

I'm still good with our draft and trade moves, nevertheless.

Just waiting for the rest of the story, when we trim down to 15 players.

DGPR
06-28-2008, 03:46 PM
He only said he's going to show the other 10 teams who passed on him. So he's going to take it easy on us :)

PacerPete
06-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Well he has another thing in common with Arenas. Maybe he can break up the chemistry of the Blazers like Arenas did with the Wiz.

Wonder if he'll want to wear #10

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Well Pryzybilla is #10, but maybe Bayless will have something to say about that. He does remind me a lot of Arenas though, maybe he'll wear 0.

rock747
06-28-2008, 05:21 PM

I noticed that during his interview after it had been anounced he had been traded he looked down or dissapointed or something. Not so much the other times.

NuffSaid
06-28-2008, 06:14 PM

If Bayless was on the Pacers and said the same thing, or if Rush says it. We'd see these :dance::dance::dance:
Ordinarily, I'd agree with the above 100%. It's not uncommon to hear rookies or even recently traded veterans say such things. I'm sure JO said it when he left Portland years ago, and I know Big Al and Jax2 both said it when they were traded to GS. So, there's really nothing new here. Except...

If there had not already been questions about his character going into the draft, this statement would not have meant anything. It still might mean nothing.

However, it sounds all too familiar. It sounds like something a selfish, immature player would be *more likely* to say than an unselfish, mature player. I have grown tired of the years of hearing these prima donnas spout off about how great they are. We have had a number of them in recent years. What is far more desirable is a guy who will use this as motivation without running off at the mouth. Prove it on the court because talk is very, very cheap (btw, see Jermaine O'Neal).

Again, it doesn't mean the guy is a cancer. It's just a turn-off IMO. It's just less attractive than someone showing some humility.

...not to mention maturity...

In the wake of all the character issues this team has had, all Bayless' did was show his arrogance. But I guess that's how it is with most rookies who view themselves as "the real deal". And after watching some of his college highlights on YouTube.com, I'm reminded that there's no "I" in "T-E-A-M". I'm sure he'll be a very good if not great basketball player someday, but this team needs team players, not individuals.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Anyone can talk.
In fairness to Harrison, he DID work hard. He's just dumb as a box of hammers and pretty fragile mentally.

I continue to think he'd have matured into a different player if not for the two crazy concussions.

BoomBaby31
06-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Bayless doesn't seem like a team guy and we ALL want team guys. For some reason Rush looks all team to me. Someone posted an analysis of bayless and all it talked about was his attitude and saying he is good but "does anyone want to play with him", I don't care if he does become an all-star because I think we did the right thing. If bayless doesn't do awesome next year, he really wouldn't do well in Indiana. Portland has crazy talent, it isn't like he is going to a horrible team. All the comparisons to Arenas could be spot on but everytime Arenas came in the game this season he his team played worse.

Ownagedood
06-28-2008, 07:53 PM
. His defense is okay, it could be better too.
Off subject but I wanted to chime in a lil.. I'm excited about this next year, because if you guys remember, when Danny first got here he was easily our second best defender, right behind JO.. But then he dropped off a bit.. And I heard him on Sportslocker say that he was really going to concentrate on playing harder and better on defense this next year. :D

DisplacedKnick
06-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I'd be curious if anyone can post anything on Bayless having character issues.

Now IMO that's not the same as playing selfish - at times he was selfish for a PG which can happen when you're a SG trying to adjust to a new position as a freshman.

He went to the combine, worked out for a bunch of teams, supposedly is a hard worker - I'd be interested if someone would post some links about his poor character because I haven't seen them.

Mourning
06-29-2008, 01:52 AM
here is the video of the interview
He is clearly not happy to be drafted by Pacers at that moment IMO.

http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/press_conf/08draft_bayless_j_080626.asx

I thought it was funny that he mentioned Ike as the one he mentioned he knew from the Pacers ... and then minutes later gets traded with Ike to Portland :D.