PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine chose to sit out

Cherokee
06-27-2008, 11:38 PM
O'Neal admits what many expected: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53245/20080627/jermaine_made_decision_to_sit_out/

Shade
06-27-2008, 11:42 PM
We already knew this, but I'm sure someone will blow it out of proportion.

Coop
06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah. I thought he basically told everyone that when he went out last year? He was going to sit out until he was absolutely 100%.

Hicks
06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah, and he was right to do it. The whole point was to stop coming back too soon from injuries.

Hoop
06-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Yeah. I thought he basically told everyone that when he went out last year? He was going to sit out until he was absolutely 100%.
Yep, not really news at all. I don't recall ANYONE having a problem with him setting out. He didn't have much choice, he was a shadow of his former self.

If he is healthy now, I'll be happy for him. If he's still not, at least it's not our problem anymore.

Anthem
06-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Is this news?

jeffg-body
06-28-2008, 01:49 AM
If that is the case, he may sit out the rest of his life. 100% after the wringer he has been through is a bit unrealistic.

bigrichard82
06-28-2008, 01:51 AM
In reality, he did us a favor. We probably would not have been able to trade him otherwise. JO is done as a quote, "superstar". It worked out for both of us. Frankly, I am quite surprised JO didnt raise hell about going to Toronto. He was a class act in this trade. He is just taking as it comes.

count55
06-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah...pretty much what everybody else here's saying.

Bball
06-28-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm sure we already knew this and him sitting and letting his legend grow on the bench didn't hurt anything. The outstanding question is the timing of his sitting. Did he do it when he did to short-circuit any trade deadline talks?

....Probably...

-Bball

Hicks
06-28-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm sure we already knew this and him sitting and letting his legend grow on the bench didn't hurt anything. The outstanding question is the timing of his sitting. Did he do it when he did to short-circuit any trade deadline talks?

....Probably...

-Bball

I think that's crap.

Natston
06-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I think that's crap.

Especially since he's the one that was the most vocal about him being traded. If anything he sat out to get traded.

Bball
06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
It doesn't matter what any of us think now.... But the timing was curious. Rumors start to flow of a NJ deal and then Jermaine decides to shut it down. Jermaine's a smart guy and he knows how the system works.

-Bball

Shade
06-28-2008, 11:58 AM
We already knew this, but I'm sure someone will blow it out of proportion.

It doesn't matter what any of us think now.... But the timing was curious. Rumors start to flow of a NJ deal and then Jermaine decides to shut it down. Jermaine's a smart guy and he knows how the system works.

-Bball

Right on schedule. :-p

Arcadian
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, where do professional athletes get off trying to have knees when they 40. Freaking prima donnas.

Coop
06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't buy the whole "he did it to avoid a trade" conspiracy. Why would he try to avoid a trade to NJ, but then be fine with one to Toronto? If you are giving a player the choice to play in either city, wouldn't they pick NJ 9 out of 10 times?

Bball
06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not blowing it out of proportion because it is what it is. It doesn't even matter now because he's not going to be a Pacer next season.

It was Jermaine's call and I said the timing was curious. If concern over his knee when he was 40 was the issue, why didn't he choose to sit sooner? Obviously it must've been bothering him.

Why would he do it to put the kibosh on a trade midseason? IDK... Spite? He did come out with that interview where he complained about the Pacers' handling of the reports on the injury.

Maybe he wanted to go where he was wanted as a piece of the puzzle not as an expiring to help another team make a run at Lebron in a couple of years?

It could be exactly what some of you want to believe, and coincidentally when trade rumors heated up JO decided his knee just wasn't improving and he needed to give it a break. That's fine. I have nothing to dispute that with... just as none of you have anything to dispute my simply saying that the timing was curious. It's all speculation at this point. The one thing we know is it was JO's call to shut it down. ...And it was ultimately better for us to let his legend grow on the bench rather than continue to play like he was. ...And if it was better for his knee... Even better for everyone.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-28-2008, 01:18 PM
good for you jermaine....enjoy contending for a title in toronto...LOL
could not think of a worse place for him to go. I'm sure his daughter will love the schools in canada. I hear the weather is nicer there then it is in indiana too! JO FOR THE WIIIIIIIIIIN!

JayRedd
06-28-2008, 02:01 PM
In reality, he did us a favor. We probably would not have been able to trade him otherwise. JO is done as a quote, "superstar". It worked out for both of us. Frankly, I am quite surprised JO didnt raise hell about going to Toronto. He was a class act in this trade. He is just taking as it comes.

Why surprised? He's as ready to move on as any of us. He has to be thrilled to go play with one of the best young bigs and one of the best young points in the League. Other than DC, South Beach or Orlando, there can't be another Eastern team he'd rather play for.

If you are giving a player the choice to play in either city, wouldn't they pick NJ 9 out of 10 times?

You've clearly never been to New Jersey.

count55
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah...pretty much what everybody else here's saying.

Correction: What everybody else (except Bball) here is saying.

Roaming Gnome
06-28-2008, 04:23 PM
:unimpress

Peck
06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Being one of the biggest Jermaine critics on this board I want to say this.

Who cares?

His knee was bad, he sat, it's over.

I don't believe he actually scuttled a trade because everyone knew he had a player option for this summer and even if he did scuttle the NJ trade I would like to send him a bouquet of flowers because I would much rather have TJ Ford than another 6'7" swingman in Jefferson. Not that Jefferson is a bad player mind you, it's just we needed a point guard in the worst of ways.

As to J.O. sitting out? Again, who cares.

I believe he was injured and I don't even like the guy.

I think Andrew Bynum had more to do with this than about anybody, he all but retired J.O. from the association when the Lakers came to town. J.O. had no lift at all and looked like a brittle old man out there.

So in closing :happydanc:happydanc:happydanc

Happy Days are here again.:dance:

able
06-28-2008, 07:46 PM
In all the years JO has played for the Pacers, he has been a class act towards the franchise and towards the fans.
He was the last one to sit out with headaches, or wanting to make a record, he was there when someone tried to take his right arm home as a souvenir (took his FT's left handed so he "could" come back if it was not "to" bad) and he was the one playing in the playoffs with a badly over extended knee.
He is the guy who took a highschool girl to her prom, he is the guy Indiana can be proud of, his injuries were not his choice, nor were Artest or Jackson or Tinsley.

He is the one that holds records in this club and the one who stepped out of a game where he had been very well capable of breaking Reggies's high score record, out of respect for Reggie's legacy.

I really wish some of you started to look at it that way, because in all honestly one would get emberassed to be associated with some of the posts about Jermaine.

Tyrion
06-28-2008, 08:50 PM
In all the years JO has played for the Pacers, he has been a class act towards the franchise and towards the fans.
He was the last one to sit out with headaches, or wanting to make a record, he was there when someone tried to take his right arm home as a souvenir (took his FT's left handed so he "could" come back if it was not "to" bad) and he was the one playing in the playoffs with a badly over extended knee.
He is the guy who took a highschool girl to her prom, he is the guy Indiana can be proud of, his injuries were not his choice, nor were Artest or Jackson or Tinsley.

He is the one that holds records in this club and the one who stepped out of a game where he had been very well capable of breaking Reggies's high score record, out of respect for Reggie's legacy.

I really wish some of you started to look at it that way, because in all honestly one would get emberassed to be associated with some of the posts about Jermaine.

I never really liked Jermaine...watching him play, or the pronouncements he would make in the media, but I 100% agree with everything you said here.